Microbiology Lecture/Lab Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirrelnutkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone out there will have some insight into this situation.

At my undergrad, bio majors were required to take an advanced senior lab. My lab was Microbiology.
On my transcript, the course is named Microbiology Lab. It was a 3-credit course w/ 1 hour lecture and 5 hours lab per week.

Many schools I am considering applying to require Microbiology w/ Lab. So, my 2 questions are...

1) Has anyone had a course like this count for the entire requirement?

if not,

2) Is taking a standalone microbiology lecture-only course a safe way to complete this requirement, or must I take a microbiology w/ lab course. In essence, I am wondering if 2 courses may be combined to fulfill 1 requirement or if I need to take a single micro lecture + lab course.

I am hoping that I can just take the lecture portion, as I have already taken an entire course in lab and would rather not have to do it again. I also understand that I'll probably end up having to email schools about this but wanted to see if any of you had been in a similar situation.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

At my undergrad, bio majors were required to take an advanced senior lab. My lab was Microbiology.
On my transcript, the course is named Microbiology Lab. It was a 3-credit course w/ 1 hour lecture and 5 hours lab per week.

Many schools I am considering applying to require Microbiology w/ Lab. So, my 2 questions are...

if not,

2) Is taking a standalone microbiology lecture-only course a safe way to complete this requirement, or must I take a microbiology w/ lab course. In essence, I am wondering if 2 courses may be combined to fulfill 1 requirement or if I need to take a single micro lecture + lab course.

I am hoping that I can just take the lecture portion, as I have already taken an entire course in lab and would rather not have to do it again. I also understand that I'll probably end up having to email schools about this but wanted to see if any of you had been in a similar situation.

Thanks!
Contact the schools you’re interested in. They’re the ones who are evaluating your application and have the final say. Even if someone on here has had the same situation, there’s a chance that the school could have changed the policy and you don’t want to rely on something someone did on here and have it not be true anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

if not,

Thanks!
I was a Microbiology major if that gives me any more credibility?

Nearly all classes at my school were separated lecture/lab. The only exception was a bacterial genetics class, which I used as my genetics.

VMCAS lets you hand pick which class(es) you want to designate for the schools' prerequisites so you are able to select two.
I did this for my application to MN, had no problem with it. Could other schools be different? Doubtful. It is not uncommon for lab and lecture to be separated. I would verify that the class you are taking is still a fundamentals class, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

if not,

Thanks!
Call each school that you are applying to with this req, they alone know what they will accept.

Reactions: 1 user