Midwestern 2025-2026 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I was accepted in November as OOS, and I was soooo excited. Does anyone know anything about scholarships or financial aid? The tuition for midwestern is so expensive and I am not sure I honestly will be able to afford if without any assistance. Just wondering if anyone knows anything or someone I could contact! I am still waiting for a few other schools but if midwestern ends up being my only choice I need to figure out the finances
I will be doing a personal loan as well as financial aid and I didn’t see any scholarships available through them for next year so I am applying to outside scholarships.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been looking to see if someone has started a GroupMe or Facebook page for students who will be attending as well. I'm not familiar with GroupMe but so far I haven't seen anything via the APVMA FB group.
 
Just withdrew my acceptance! (why was that nerve wracking???) Good luck to those on the waitlist!
 
Hi all! I was accepted to Midwestern back in November (OOS without an interview), and I would absolutely love to attend, pending financials. Since I haven’t accepted my seat yet, I was hoping a current student might be able to share a little about their experience with financial aid.

Is the ~$75,000 tuition number fairly accurate for what most students end up paying, or is it common for people to receive scholarships that bring that number down? I’m just trying to get a better sense of what the real cost typically looks like for students. Thank you guys for your help!!
 
@forever.young
Hi! I live in AZ and from Midwestern's site it's $75,702. I'm not sure if this is current or it needs to be updated. But if this helps I'm a vet tech that works with some recent graduates from Midwestern University in AZ and some of have said they survived off loans. But some doctors have said they almost have 400-500k in debt. I would see what financial aid could give you. I'm also not sure about scholarships, you might have to see what they offer. If you have other questions let me know, especially because I'm in AZ!
 
@forever.young
So I just read that they have available financial resources for the academic year (e.g., earnings, financial aid, family assistance). Please note, student loans are not available during periods on non-attendance (i.e., summer quarter, leave of absence), however, the Federal Work-Study program may be an option to those that qualify. This is all from their website, I hope this helps!
 
If we pay our deposit and sign the forms that you have to before sending the deposit through, then your seat is secured correct? TIA
 
If we pay our deposit and sign the forms that you have to before sending the deposit through, then your seat is secured correct? TIA
It should be. My daughter paid her deposit on Sunday. It is a little scary when nothing else popped up saying “your seat is reserved” or something to that regards. 🤣
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be careful of this school. I am a graduated from the 2023 class for the College of Medicine. The school is hiding the fact that tuition is so high because they are not doing well financially. They say the high tuition is for the "quality training and rotation sites" but it's very clearly a lie. Our class heard that they charge high tuition to fund the Deans and the Admins retirement plan. Please be careful about this school because the education is not worth the price.
 
Be careful of this school. I am a graduated from the 2023 class for the College of Medicine. The school is hiding the fact that tuition is so high because they are not doing well financially. They say the high tuition is for the "quality training and rotation sites" but it's very clearly a lie. Our class heard that they charge high tuition to fund the Deans and the Admins retirement plan. Please be careful about this school because the education is not worth the price.
Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience, but this is for their veterinary school, not the DO school
 
Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience, but this is for their veterinary school, not the DO school
Yeah I know but same school, different program. I know the school. They're not doing well financially and they push the cost off to students via tuition. That's why tuition is so high for ALL the programs. And no, they do not provide "higher quality clinical education" like they claim. They just don't know what they're doing.
 
Be careful of this school. I am a graduated from the 2023 class for the College of Medicine. The school is hiding the fact that tuition is so high because they are not doing well financially. They say the high tuition is for the "quality training and rotation sites" but it's very clearly a lie. Our class heard that they charge high tuition to fund the Deans and the Admins retirement plan. Please be careful about this school because the education is not worth the price.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Although I am not enrolled at Midwestern, this comment caught my attention, and I really empathize with your situation. High tuition is a legitimate concern, but is it more likely that the tuition at Midwestern is high primarily because it is a private institution that does not receive the level of state funding that public universities do?

As a private institution, Midwestern likely relies heavily on tuition revenue to cover operating costs, faculty salaries, facilities, and the specialized resources required for professional programs like DO and DVM degrees. At least in veterinary medicine, comparable tuition can be found at other private schools such as Western University and Lincoln Memorial University.

That said, the claim that tuition is high specifically to fund the deans' and administrators' retirement plans is serious. Without documentation, it's difficult to know whether that's factual or simply a rumor.

All that said, I agree that the tuition rate (particularly at private institutions for these professional programs) is astronomical. I hope that you are able to find a reasonable route to pay off any and all debt you might have accrued while enrolled as a student. It's certainly an uphill battle for most of us.
 
Thank you for sharing your experience. Although I am not enrolled at Midwestern, this comment caught my attention, and I really empathize with your situation. High tuition is a legitimate concern, but is it more likely that the tuition at Midwestern is high primarily because it is a private institution that does not receive the level of state funding that public universities do?

As a private institution, Midwestern likely relies heavily on tuition revenue to cover operating costs, faculty salaries, facilities, and the specialized resources required for professional programs like DO and DVM degrees. At least in veterinary medicine, comparable tuition can be found at other private schools such as Western University and Lincoln Memorial University.

That said, the claim that tuition is high specifically to fund the deans' and administrators' retirement plans is serious. Without documentation, it's difficult to know whether that's factual or simply a rumor.

All that said, I agree that the tuition rate (particularly at private institutions for these professional programs) is astronomical. I hope that you are able to find a reasonable route to pay off any and all debt you might have accrued while enrolled as a student. It's certainly an uphill battle for most of us.
Yeah I know the claim is hard to prove but trust me, if you talked to the Deans face to face about this, you can easily tell their full of ****.
 
The (now former) Dean of Midwestern's (now defunct-before-even-built) veterinary college in Illinois would probably beg to differ on having a good pension plan.. Saw them on LinkedIn with "open to work" on their profile pic the day after Midwestern announced that they were pulling the plug on the new vet school in Illinois (what a major bummer, by the way).
 
The (now former) Dean of Midwestern's (now defunct-before-even-built) veterinary college in Illinois would probably beg to differ on having a good pension plan.. Saw them on LinkedIn with "open to work" on their profile pic the day after Midwestern announced that they were pulling the plug on the new vet school in Illinois (what a major bummer, by the way).
lol thats why they keep charging high tuition. They need it for their retirement.
 
The (now former) Dean of Midwestern's (now defunct-before-even-built) veterinary college in Illinois would probably beg to differ on having a good pension plan.. Saw them on LinkedIn with "open to work" on their profile pic the day after Midwestern announced that they were pulling the plug on the new vet school in Illinois (what a major bummer, by the way).
That’s a bummer I missed that memo. Seemed like a great location and vibrant opportunity for Chicago area