Midwestern Interview Approaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaypea65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have an interview on January 7th. I was just wondering what to expect for the interview for those that have already interviewed there. Is it a relaxed interview, or do they really grill you with questions? This is my first invite, so I am excited and a little nervous at the same time. As always, any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all and Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I have an interview on January 7th. I was just wondering what to expect for the interview for those that have already interviewed there. Is it a relaxed interview, or do they really grill you with questions? This is my first invite, so I am excited and a little nervous at the same time. As always, any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all and Happy Holidays!

I heard its really relaxed and be yourself, see you the 7th :thumbup:

it was an extremely lax interview, and they were very nice. no weird questions.. pretty straightforward. gluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
prydA, What do you think adcom is looking for, i.e. how do they select their final candidates.

i don't they're looking for anything in particular... just be yourself. same goes with every interview

Their philosophy is different than other schools with their systems based approach so they would like to know if you are willing to be a guinea pig for this system.

Their philosophy is different than other schools with their systems based approach so they would like to know if you are willing to be a guinea pig for this system.

just about every school uses the systems based approach...some just call their program differently. for example, michigan calls it integrated medical science...unlv calls it integrated curriclum. not many dental schools teach 1 subject at a time anymore.

What is their system based approach? I never really heard of this before. Is it the same as learning in modules?

Hey,

I think MWU dental program focuses on studying everything about an organ system and then moving on to the next.

Are you saying that's not a novel approach to the sciences that separates this dental school from the others? I thought this holistic approach was what distinguished this school?

-sjWiz

What is their system based approach? I never really heard of this before. Is it the same as learning in modules?

I'll tell you what we are doing right now to illustrate what the approach is like here. We are studying the respiratory system right now. We had 11 science lectures this week (usally around 13 or 14 lectures). We started out with some physiology lectures on gas transport and regulation of respiration. Then we had a handful of lectures from the microbiology department on bacterial pneumonias and TB infections as well as some other lectures on fungal infections of the lungs. We finished off the week with some lectures from the pathology dept about respiratory pathologies.

I think the difference here is that we focus on systems (cardiovascular system or Epithelium/CT/Blood, or Lymphatics/Immune etc) and their associated anatomy, histology, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, and pathology with the respective diciplines being taught by professors from their representative fields. This would be opposed to having an anatomy class followed by a pathology class followed by a physiology class etc. We get them all the time as they pertain to the system we are looking at and have 1 exam every week that covers the different diciplines and the material covered the previous week. So rather than several science classes that last the whole duration of a semester or quarter, we have system-based modules within a quarter that last a few weeks per module.

I think it is a great way to go. Been happy with it so far and we are almost done for the year.

This system should not be confused with what ASDOH calls a "modular" system where they will stick with one dicipline and one instructor for a week or two and then move to the next dicipline. That would be like having biochemistry all day for a week or so, then testing and moving on to anatomy for a straight week or two.