Minnesota 2013! Who's applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bordercollies, do you think that is also how most other schools do it? That once you receive an interview invitation it is safe to say you "passed" in terms of grades and GRE scores, and from there on out it's more of a subjective decision based on those other qualities?


C0bester, I honestly don't know about other colleges. I only applied to the UofM, yeah I know...putting all my eggs in one basket 😀, so I only studied and researched the U. Sorry that I am not more help!! 🙁
 
Haha! That is completely fine Serendipity! I get confused easily 😀 I am going to give them a call and see what they say for an interview on the same day that I have my interview.

Question for ya, do you have any tips of helpful hints for the interview process that helped you?? Just trying to get as much help and prepare for this thing as much as possible!!

Pretty much everything I say is probably going to sound pretty cliche... but obviously dress nicely (okay, I say obviously, yet I'll admit I didn't really realize I should go so far as wearing a suit until I read Student Doctor a couple days before my interview 😳). Mostly, though, just be yourself! MN interviews are behavioral (as I'm sure you already know), so they ask questions like "Tell me about a time when you had to take control of a situation" or, perhaps my "favorite" "Tell me about a time when you made a committment, and then had to break it..." All the questions are aimed at trying to figure out who you are as a person and what type of a person you are (for more questions they asked, look at the interview feedback on this site -- I found them very helpful!) A lot of the questions seemed to be directed at a time when you messed up, or something didn't go right, or whatnot, so I generally tried to be honest about how I responded, and then tried to end on a good note (so yes I had to break a committment, and I felt terribly doing so, but this is how I tried to make it work the best for everyone involved.)

Now that I know the professors who did my interview, and have talked to some of my classmates about who interviewed them, I can say that I would be really surprised if this were the interview where they do good cop/bad cop or anything like that. The people who do these interviews are genuinely interested in helping the students, and they're very nice! I remember leaving my interview and telling them "man, I didn't realize this was going to be fun, but it really was!" And I wasn't lying: they made me feel relaxed from the get-go and it felt just like I was having a conversation with them.

Also, they'll tell you that you shouldn't necessarily try and direct every question back to your experience in vet med, and they mean it! I would definitely have a few questions related to it (just so they realize you do have the experience), but I think they want well rounded people. So do you like rock climbing? Great! Work that into one of your responses. Did you used to volunteer at an elementary school, reading to the kids? Fantastic, talk about that! (These are both very hypothetical, btw, neither describe me actually. 🙂 Basically, every student who's interviewing probably has animal experience, but not every student has lived the same life you have. I think they want to know what makes you special.

And by the way, if you can't think of a response right away, it's okay to ask for a few moments to think. I think I ended up doing that several times during my interview.

They will likely ask if you have any questions afterwards, and I tried to ask a couple. If there's something you're particularly interested in, go ahead and ask for a little more information about that. I tried to listen to what my interviewers did during their introductions, and I think I tried to ask each of them something in their area (for example, one of my interviewers did research, so I asked him to tell me a little more about exactly what he was researching.) I think I also asked them for any advice they'd give to a first year student, in light of all their experience both with school and practice. I actually appreciated having asked that once I became a student, as their advice helped! 🙂

Lastly, of course, just try to relax! Your interviewers aren't trying to figure out why they should keep you OUT of vet school, they're trying to figure out why they should let you in; that is, they really do want to help you! Alright, I'll stop talking now, but I hope that helps somewhat!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow Serendipity4 your post is extremely helpful! I too am interviewing at MN, and bordercollies I too put all my eggs in one basket so......good luck to you and remember to think positive thoughts!
 
Thank you so much Serendipity4!! That helped a lot! I did read some of the interview questions that are posted here on studendoctor, but your post was more personal and helped me start brainstorming!!
 
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go straight from my Minnesota interview on the weekend of Feb. 20th to my Illinois interview on the 23rd! Yikes-hope for no blizzards!! I'm from the east coast, by the way.
 
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go straight from my Minnesota interview on the weekend of Feb. 20th to my Illinois interview on the 23rd! Yikes-hope for no blizzards!! I'm from the east coast, by the way.


Good luck with all the traveling!! You never know with Minnesota weather what will happen, but hopefully only good weather! Good luck on your interviews and safe travelling! 🙂
 
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go straight from my Minnesota interview on the weekend of Feb. 20th to my Illinois interview on the 23rd! Yikes-hope for no blizzards!! I'm from the east coast, by the way.

I did the same thing last year. It was a crazy weekend. Just don't stay at the Econolodge in IL! I made that mistake. My room smelled horrible and then at 4 in the morning some woman opened my door looked at me and then screamed at the top of her lungs and ran away. It was...alarming. Then when I wanted to stay an hour past checkout time they wouldn't let me.

Anyway, good luck on your interviews.
 
Hi, I seem to have misplaced my actual letter interview invite and I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind listing the schedule of events. I know my interview time but I have a commitment later in the afternoon and don't want to miss info sessions or tours. Thanks
 
Hi, I seem to have misplaced my actual letter interview invite and I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind listing the schedule of events. I know my interview time but I have a commitment later in the afternoon and don't want to miss info sessions or tours. Thanks

I didn't realize that they had sent a letter interview invite with the schedule! I changed my address recently and the letter probably got returned. I will call them today but can someone post or pm me the schedule of events too?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The letter I got doesn't have a schedule on it, but the email I got with my interview time does. Here is the relevant info from the email:

Interviews

Interviews will take place both on Friday and Saturday and were scheduled on a
first-come-first-served basis. On Saturday, all applicants will be scheduled for a
college tour, student panel presentations, and a general presentation about the DVM
program at noon with lunch served. If you interview on Saturday we will schedule
these activities around your interview appointment. If your interview is on Friday,
we highly encourage you to stay for the events on Saturday. If you interview on
Friday you can expect to be finished with Saturday's activities by around 2:30
p.m. You will be receiving a follow-up email the week of your interview with your
assigned tour & student panel times for Saturday. We will have 15 to 20 Student
Ambassadors (first, second, and third year DVM students) to host you during your
time at the college.



Friday evening, there is a tour of the equine center at 5 and a pizza party at 6.
 
Thanks Ben and me! I was just worried that the letter may have information that wasn't on the email.
 
anyone interviewing saturday feb 21st? I am interviewing at 8:15, I guess they are wondering if I am a morning person? luckily I am. Anyone going on the equine center tour?
 
Hey Susie! I'm interviewing on the 21st as well, but later that afternoon. I'm also planning on going on a tour of the equine enter, as long as my flight gets there on time! I really need to go to my Biochem class Friday am, so I had to schedule my flight to depart after that. Here's hoping the weather is okay and that I don't miss my connection!
 
Does anyone know how the in-state residents are scheduled for interviews? is it by ranking or alphabetical or totally random..? I guess I could ask but am not sure they'd tell me anyway. Mine was fairly early on so I am hoping that's a good sign!
 
Alphabetical order. When I had my interview, the other girl at my time had a last name with the first three letters as mine. She also said that one of her friends with a C for the first letter was one of the first ones.
 
I'm interviewing on the 21st as well, and going on the equine center tour the evening before. I hope the weather is good!
 
Interviewing on the 21st at 930am.. I still havent bought a plane ticket yet.. waiting on a letter thats in the mail on its way right now.. getting it on Tuesday hopefully and then Ill buy a plane ticket if it doesn't go well.. Im being really bad and cutting it super close.... :-/
 
Flying out tomorrow... the school sounds great, I'm excited! Nervous, too... heh. Never did behavioral interviews before but I have 2 this weekend!
 
I am interviewing on Friday Feb. 20th at 2:15pm and doing all the activities on Friday and Saturday. I am interested in meeting some of you fellow SDN'ers and putting a face to an avatar. So, I will be on the lookout for: DocDVMD, 1Vista1Grey, Ben and Me, susiewaits, and any others.

I'll probably be the only one wearing a skirt (I specifically was told to wear a skirt for an interview no matter what) and freezing my butt off.:laugh:

I'm flying in on Thursday and staying at Days Inn Roseville.

See you there,

Toni
 
Haha I'm going to try my best to wear my skirt, but I brought pants just in case. I'm used to some pretty frigid weather, so I think I can tough it out.
 
I was also wondering if everybody received a letter with more information about the DVM/MPH program and a brochure, or if the admissions office sent it just to me because I was corresponding with them about the program?
 
I was also wondering if everybody received a letter with more information about the DVM/MPH program and a brochure, or if the admissions office sent it just to me because I was corresponding with them about the program?

I think everyone received it. They r going to talk about it as part of the presentation too.

Good luck everyone!
 
I was also wondering if everybody received a letter with more information about the DVM/MPH program and a brochure, or if the admissions office sent it just to me because I was corresponding with them about the program?

yeah, my fiancee and I both got that in the mail after our interviews. She did express interest in public health-I didn't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering-anybody know how they contact people who are getting in to the U of MN vet school? Specifically for in-staters? I know they said they send out letters like the second week of March, but do they call first for people getting in or anything like that?
 
StealthDog,

Do you know when we are going to find out about the decisions? I had my interview last weekend. And I am just a little anxious:scared:... I really liked the school and the city!

Thanks!
 
When I got my letter (three years ago), I got it on March 4th... a little earlier than they'd told me to expect it. I was an in-stater and only got a letter, not a phone call, although I did get waitlisted, so I guess I can't say for sure what happened with people who got accepted right away.

They do seem to aim for the first week or two in March for letters.

Good luck!
 
So I leave in the morning for Uminn and am staying through sunday (flights are cheaper). See you all there! I may be wearing a skirt, depends on if my pants make it through the flight fairly wrinkleless (or if they make it through my ironing ability this evening)
 
I just had my interview this morning... it went bleh IMO. But the school and tours and everything was really great! I was so impressed by their program! Actual animals starting day 1 in your 1st year and doing surgery at the end of 2nd year! For those that have your UMN interview upcoming, I wrote an interview feedback. I hope despite my not-so-great interview, they'll accept me! 😳🙁😳🙁
 
I just had my interview this morning... it went bleh IMO. But the school and tours and everything was really great! I was so impressed by their program! Actual animals starting day 1 in your 1st year and doing surgery at the end of 2nd year! For those that have your UMN interview upcoming, I wrote an interview feedback. I hope despite my not-so-great interview, they'll accept me! 😳🙁😳🙁

Maybe you can help me out here stealthdog, but is this true? I asked the professor who interviewed me, and he definitely didn't make it sound like we had much hands on experience with live animals. Do they stretch the truth for OOS?
 
I also had my interview this weekend and felt bleh about it. The interviewers also seemed bleh!! However, I heard the same things from several people I talked to. I think it's very hard to judge how well you did with the behavioral interviews, and there's not much to do about it anyway because they're evaluating your personality. Let's just hope for the best-the school was awesome!

PS I'm pretty sure I met a bunch of you this weekend! My mom kept offering rides to people 😛
 
Maybe you can help me out here stealthdog, but is this true? I asked the professor who interviewed me, and he definitely didn't make it sound like we had much hands on experience with live animals. Do they stretch the truth for OOS?

It's true! Semester 1, year 1 has large animal clinical skills, which consists of learning how to handle and do physical exams on cows and horses. Semester 2 is the same, but for small animals. Year 2 you get to have "mini rotations", which is a series of 2-hour blocks in various services in the small animal hospital (emergency, dentistry, derm, etc). They try to let you do as much hands-on as possible there. Year 2 also has your first surgery (spay/neuter labs), avian handling/physical exam lab, and several labs where you bring in your own pets and do various things to them (practice bandaging, learning how to conduct a neuro and ophtho exam, etc). Year three has a gastrointestinal surgery lab, non-traditional pets handling labs, and a lot more clinical skills classes (mainly with cadavers- things like practicing epidurals, taking bone marrow biopsies, etc). Depending on what you track, you can also do large animal surgeries during third year. Then fourth year is, of course, clinical rotations.

You also do large animal hospital clerk duty shifts during your first three years, which consists of several 6-hour-long shifts where you help do treatments, monitoring, etc with the patients in the large animal hospital. It's not a ton of time, but it is a great opportunity for practicing things like blood draws, injections, etc on cows and horses.

If you really want more hands-on experience, you can also be on Foal (and Cria) Team or Colic Team, where you get called if the hospital needs extra hands. Then there are also club-sponsored wet labs, where you try things like first aid, equine chiropractic, reptile physical exams, and other fun stuff.

Compared to what I've heard from students at other vet schools, we have quite an early start with live animal work. It may just be basic handling and physical exam skills at first, but that's better than just sitting in lecture all day!
 
It's true! Semester 1, year 1 has large animal clinical skills, which consists of learning how to handle and do physical exams on cows and horses. Semester 2 is the same, but for small animals. Year 2 you get to have "mini rotations", which is a series of 2-hour blocks in various services in the small animal hospital (emergency, dentistry, derm, etc). They try to let you do as much hands-on as possible there. Year 2 also has your first surgery (spay/neuter labs), avian handling/physical exam lab, and several labs where you bring in your own pets and do various things to them (practice bandaging, learning how to conduct a neuro and ophtho exam, etc). Year three has a gastrointestinal surgery lab, non-traditional pets handling labs, and a lot more clinical skills classes (mainly with cadavers- things like practicing epidurals, taking bone marrow biopsies, etc). Depending on what you track, you can also do large animal surgeries during third year. Then fourth year is, of course, clinical rotations.

You also do large animal hospital clerk duty shifts during your first three years, which consists of several 6-hour-long shifts where you help do treatments, monitoring, etc with the patients in the large animal hospital. It's not a ton of time, but it is a great opportunity for practicing things like blood draws, injections, etc on cows and horses.

If you really want more hands-on experience, you can also be on Foal (and Cria) Team or Colic Team, where you get called if the hospital needs extra hands. Then there are also club-sponsored wet labs, where you try things like first aid, equine chiropractic, reptile physical exams, and other fun stuff.

Compared to what I've heard from students at other vet schools, we have quite an early start with live animal work. It may just be basic handling and physical exam skills at first, but that's better than just sitting in lecture all day!


WOW!!!! That sounds so exciting!! Makes me even more nervous about getting accepted when I hear such great things about the vet school!!! Ahhh can't wait!!! 😀
 
Anybody have an inkling of when we should hear? Last year it looks like letters were sent out the 1st week of March, but this year the last interview date is later than last year's (I think).
 
Heading to the airport (Denver) right now for my 11:00am tomorrow interview. Wish me luck! Hopefully I will get to meet some of you in August (when classes start -- if I get in)!

Kai
 
Yes, the last interviews are this weekend. Last year it looks like people heard the first week of March. :luck:
 
I think this is the last weekend. Hope to meet several of you this summer when we are all new U MN students!

Kai
 
Good luck everyone! I can remember all too well what you guys are feeling right now. With any luck, you can all be here this time next year, totally stressing out about the 5 tests and paper that you have in the next two weeks, hehe. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to let you guys know that I think they're aiming for the second week of March to let you guys know. Obviously I'm sure there are things that could change that (i.e. please don't hate me if I end up being wrong 🙂, but I'm pretty sure that's the goal.

Also, when I was accepted to Minnesota I got my acceptance in the mail; a phone call wasn't involved. I think that's still the way they're doing it.

Good luck to everyone -- I hope to see all of you in the fall!!! 🙂
 
I am doing my interview this weekend -- actually was done today. To confirm the last poster's message, they told us tonight that they will be mailing the acceptance letters, not calling.

Kai
 
I called the vet school on Friday, and they said they'd be sending out the letters the second week in March. It could come earlier I suppose, but we will see!

For people that were accepted previously, was it a "small letter" or a "big letter" when you got it? I just want to prepare myself!
 
Following the interviews, are acceptances based only on the interview score? Or are interview scores combined with scores from previous rounds and then ranked to determine acceptances?

It's going to be a long week... :scared: