Minnesota 2013! Who's applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how far they usually go down the waitlist for instate people? I am number 13 and I emailed Larry and all he would tell me was they were going to move down a few spots, but he wouldn't tell me how many. :scared:
 
I was #14 (back in 2006) and got accepted in mid-July.


Man I don't think I could wait that long. I have to much to do and plan, thats not enough. My delema is I have to hire a couple of instructors and train them in to take over my teaching. One month is not enough time heck 3 months is not enough time, i don't know what to do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,
So i posted on the off the waitlist thread. but just in case others on the waitlist missed it. I got accepted off the waitlist today, i was #8 on the oos list. I am not 100% sure if i will be going, because I did commit to another school, however, minnesota was my first choice so i am about 90% sure i will be attending.


jm1, how did they contact you? Did you receive a letter or did they call you?? Thanks!
 
so i am pretty embarrassed to admit this. I was about to put a pretty sizable security deposit on an apartment at another school, so i figured I would call and just see if they had any ideas about waitlist movement. I told the office assistant (?, whoever answered the phone) my name, and she connected me to Larry Bjorkland. I was completely surprised i was just expecting to find out whether they were going to start moving the wait list this week or 2 weeks from now, i never expected an answer. I think i mumbled something incoherently about being caught off guard, I was at the beach with my dog(i think i actually said are you serious, and then apologized for saying it).
Long story, I called, but he definitely made it sound like they would have called me not sent a letter.
I felt silly calling them, I am very anti-nagging. But i just didnt want to put down a 1500 dollar deposit and get a call from Minnesota monday.

Good luck Border collies! I hope you get in and we can be classmates!
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know how far they usually go down the waitlist for instate people? I am number 13 and I emailed Larry and all he would tell me was they were going to move down a few spots, but he wouldn't tell me how many. :scared:

I completely feel your pain, I was waitlisted at 17 last year and went the entire summer not knowing! It's the worst feeling I swear! 🙁 Last year they went down to 13 or 14, so you definitely have a shot at getting in this year! :luck: If you do get in you likely won't know until mid-late summer, which sucks, but keep your hopes up!!
 
so i am pretty embarrassed to admit this. I was about to put a pretty sizable security deposit on an apartment at another school, so i figured I would call and just see if they had any ideas about waitlist movement. I told the office assistant (?, whoever answered the phone) my name, and she connected me to Larry Bjorkland. I was completely surprised i was just expecting to find out whether they were going to start moving the wait list this week or 2 weeks from now, i never expected an answer. I think i mumbled something incoherently about being caught off guard, I was at the beach with my dog(i think i actually said are you serious, and then apologized for saying it).
Long story, I called, but he definitely made it sound like they would have called me not sent a letter.
I felt silly calling them, I am very anti-nagging. But i just didnt want to put down a 1500 dollar deposit and get a call from Minnesota monday.

Good luck Border collies! I hope you get in and we can be classmates!

Thanks for the information!!! I hate waiting! 😀 I loved reading how you said "are you serious" because it sounds just like something I would have said! I want to call too, but I also feel that I will know when they let me know. But I don't have some other place where I need to put down a deposit. I hope we get to be classmates too! 😀
 
I completely feel your pain, I was waitlisted at 17 last year and went the entire summer not knowing! It's the worst feeling I swear! 🙁 Last year they went down to 13 or 14, so you definitely have a shot at getting in this year! :luck: If you do get in you likely won't know until mid-late summer, which sucks, but keep your hopes up!!


Thanks turnandburn. I really hope I can get in this year, I am also waitlisted at a few other schools, but I am on the OOS list at them and i am like number 90 and they were on number 56 on Friday, so I don't know. I am the kind of person who likes to plan months a head and not knowing until june or july would not be fun.
 
DJ2013,
Do they send out the revised alternate numbers in june for the instate list? That should at least give you some idea? Im sorry waiting is terrible, I am extraordinarily bad with last minute changes also. Good Luck!
 
They told me they would send updated rankings in early May, but I'm on the OOS list. I would assume it's the same for IS as well.
 
jm1,

In the email I recieved from Larry said that they were going to send out a revised list but not until June. SO more waiting, I tried calling today but I kept getting his voice mail.
 
I asked Larry B. when we would be getting an updated ranking for the IS Waitlist, and he said Mid-May. ARGH. It is not uncommon for them to go down 15 or 16 people on the IS waitlist, but it just depends on the year. I believe they went down to #13 last year.
 
I just got a phone call at 3:30 telling me I recieved a spot!!!!! Ahhhhhh!! So excited 😀:soexcited:😀 I was #3 on the IS waitlist. Just letting everyone know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:clap::clap: Congrats Border Collies, I am so happy for You!!!!!!!!! It has been a long wait.
 
Yea BC's!!!!!!😎😎😎😎

I have been waiting for you to join me!!!!! We herding dog people need to stick together (or BE stuck together:laugh:).
 
Has anyone looked into housing at all? I guess more specifically in what area to live? I know st. paul has different neighborhoods, which ones are good to live in, or rather safe?
Sorry, i live in chicago and their was a shooting on my corner last week, and ive been robbed a few times(i think we are up to 3), so i am feeling somewhat cautious when finding a new place to live.
 
Thank you everybody!!! I can't wait to meet you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been a long wait!!! 😀


Yea BC's!!!!!!😎😎😎😎

I have been waiting for you to join me!!!!! We herding dog people need to stick together (or BE stuck together:laugh:).


🙂 We do need to stick together!! Herding dogs are just plain wonderful! (and so are their owners 😀)
 
🙂 We do need to stick together!! Herding dogs are just plain wonderful! (and so are their owners 😀)

Yeah, I got to have lunch with Stealthdog last week since she is out here doing an internship. Herding dogs rule! Wish I could bring my BC out with me, I kind of lost him in the divorce it appears. Oh well, my American BCs (Aust Sheps) will do me fine.
 
Just fun herding dog story that i thought canine repro and bc may enjoy. I brought my dog to the park yesterday (its actually the city tennis courts but we use it as a dog park). My neighbor has 5 as, and they definitely tried to herd my boxer. He was so confused!
 
Haha! Loved the story! Sounds just like them, trying to herd anything that moves!



Caninerepro, I am so sorry that you didn't get to keep your BC! 🙁 Yeah, but at least you have your other dogs!
 
I just got in!!! I got a phone call from Karen this afternoon!! I think I'll be accepting the offer 😀😀😀
 
Yay doc!! Congratulations!!
In your profile (area under your name) it says you are from NY. I am originally from ny too!!!
 
Last edited:
I dont know, i havent gotten anything either. I actually have to remember to call them because i am moving next week.
Does anyone know if we need a tablet? Because that is pretty big purchase. otherwise, i know we have that orientation few days. And i am pretty sure no dress code (since everyone was wearing sweatshirts during the tours, i assume business casual is not the normal).
I will post in the final decisions section as soon as i get my microbio grade. The other school didnt take microbio so i hadnt really planned on having that grade count! I took the final yesterday though, so i will know soon. I have biochem tomorrow, and it is difficult. But apparently it varies by school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually called the office this morning because I was getting a bit worried about not receiving much from them. 😳 They said there is a packet -- I think roommate info et, coming in a week or two, but in general seemed a bit surprised I expected anything from them so soon! I have friends going to other schools who have already registered for classes for the fall. So, I guess they just do things later in the summer. As far as I know you have not missed anything, and I was a direct accept (OOS).
 
caninerepro, when you call who do you talk to?
I always seem to get someone different and i am never too sure who to ask for. Karen or Larry? and then another female also seems to be the one with the answers?
 
I just called the office and talked to the lady that answered the phone. I have talked to Karen though before, and she seemed pretty on top of things, and real nice. I do know they cashed my deposit check a week or so ago.
 
jm1- No, a tablet isn't required, although a laptop is. Most people use PCs, but there are a good number of people with Macs. Some of the CD ROMs they hand out only work on Windows... I use BootCamp on my Macbook to run the few things that I have to have a PC for, but am almost always in Mac mode. You get an extra $1500 in your first financial aid distribution specifically as a laptop allowance.

Casual dress is the norm for lectures. 🙂
 
thanks stealthdog!

I have a mac, but it doesnt work too well. My old one was amazing, and my dog urinated on it when he was a puppy. My "new" one (2 years old) is a lemon and doesnt work well. I think i may get one of those small netbooks, they seem to work ok, i think.
 
I think they said sometime in June?? I'm getting anxious too! It's weird all these emotions I've been going through after getting accepted! For the first month or so I was THRILLED I was accepted!!! 😀 Then I went through a period of feeling really freaked out about it- scared, having second thoughts, etc. I've gotten over that and now I'm just ready to get started! :laugh:
 
I second that, and why does MN have to be like THE ABSOLUTE LAST school to get going with classes. September, that is like a month into the semester for me! 🙁
 
I second that, and why does MN have to be like THE ABSOLUTE LAST school to get going with classes. September, that is like a month into the semester for me! 🙁

Let's think of it as more precious "free" time before we hit the ground running for the next four years. We'll be extra prepared by the time classes start!

PS-When do we get our big sibs!?
 
Let's think of it as more precious "free" time before we hit the ground running for the next four years. We'll be extra prepared by the time classes start!

PS-When do we get our big sibs!?

I got mine last week. Poor thing, she has NO idea what she has just gotten into with me. :laugh:
 
My mom bought me a faux fur winter hat with giant ear flaps today. I'm prepared for the winter now! :laugh:
 
My mom bought me a faux fur winter hat with giant ear flaps today. I'm prepared for the winter now! :laugh:

Yeah I may have to grow my hair back out now. Living in Colorado, I shaved it all off. 😎 Wait, you are from NY, what's the difference in climate?
 
I second that, and why does MN have to be like THE ABSOLUTE LAST school to get going with classes. September, that is like a month into the semester for me! 🙁

I don't start until September 28th. That's practically October! So not quite the last . . . 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody know how much a parking permit is to park on campus? I assume the vet students park in the Gortner ave ramp?
 
Hey! I was wondering if you have heard yet?? I haven't gotten anything about that yet. The only thing I have received was an email about housing with housing connection.

Like I said, I got mine on the 20th. Then again they probably figured out I need more help, and sooner, than the rest of y'all. :laugh: So any more good leads on apts that take dogs? I am actually thinking of moving out 7/1 just to get it over with.
 
Hmm, like I said, I need all the help I can get. Or maybe they figure us senior citizens need more time, thus I got mine earlier!😛 Do you ladies have any ?? I could ask mine for you? The Facebook group has helped me as well. Speaking of time, I am getting REAL antsy about not having any registration or financial aid info yet. I am about to sign a lease on an apartment (thank you Erin for the rec.) but I am almost afraid to until I see all the paperwork. :scared: