Minnesota 2013! Who's applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Woo hoo I got in I got in 😀. My #1 OOS school, I will be accepting this offer! I can hardly believe my luck. I so loved the school when I interviewed there last week.

So, anyone want a roomie for next year, one who has three awesome dogs (trust me they are the better end of the deal, their Dad -- me -- is just a tagalong)?

Kai
 
OMG I am in tears because I am #3 on the waitlist for OOS. I hope people decline their acceptance since this is my top school, and I haven't been accepted anywhere else! I have really high hopessssss.
 
OMG I am in tears because I am #3 on the waitlist for OOS. I hope people decline their acceptance since this is my top school, and I haven't been accepted anywhere else! I have really high hopessssss.

Congratulations!! I am fairly positive you will get in!!! Way to go animallove!!!!! Hopefully see you this fall 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Does anyone have any idea how far they go down the oos wait list. I am number 8, and would love to attend minnesota!
 
I got in!!! Got my letter today and I'm in Southern CA. I'm gonna need a roommate now! One that wants me and my awesome shepherd mix.
 
Hi,
Does anyone have any idea how far they go down the oos wait list. I am number 8, and would love to attend minnesota!

I would also like to know this information, not like I'm that hopeful since I'm in the dregs at the bottom of the list! :laugh:
 
doc,
i tried to call today but everyone had gone home for the day at 2pm! I cant call before then tomorrow, so i may try weds!
 
I got my acceptance letter yesterday! 😀 I'm OOS, but will most likely be attending my IS, Wisconsin...so that'll help the OOS waitlist move some more! 🙂
 
I got my acceptance letter yesterday! 😀 I'm OOS, but will most likely be attending my IS, Wisconsin...so that'll help the OOS waitlist move some more! 🙂


Congrats that is awesome! That would be good news for me, since I am third on waiting list! I want to get in so badly!:xf:Good luck with whatever you decide. 🙂
 
I will say, while I am OOS for both, the tuition difference between WI (25,000) and MN (41,000) is rather large and disconcerting. 🙁 I really want to go to MN, it is the unquestioned #1 in my field, but the cost difference has concerned me since I discovered it last night. Hmm. Decisions, decisions and I was so sure of my choice before...

Kai
 
In my class (which was three application cycles ago, yikes!), they moved all the way down the OOS waitlist and then started calling people during the middle of the summer who had originally been rejected, asking if they wanted to do a phone interview! I'm sure it varies with the year, but I think being #8 on the waitlist is a pretty good spot to be 🙂

I was #14 IS, and I got my acceptance call in mid-July. They'll send you an update letter about your location on the waitlist in May or so, but I called Larry once or twice in between to see if I was moving up at all.

Congratulations everyone! Go out and buy some good post-season winter boots and coats in preparation for next year 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kai- would you ever consider doing a DVM/PhD? You pay for your first two years of vet school, then spend two years doing your PhD, then two years doing both programs together. Your PhD pays for itself and your last two years of vet school, so you get two degrees in six years, but only pay for the first two years of vet school.

That and the army are the two main ways people get around MN's big OOS tuition... good luck deciding!
 
In my class (which was three application cycles ago, yikes!), they moved all the way down the OOS waitlist and then started calling people during the middle of the summer who had originally been rejected, asking if they wanted to do a phone interview! I'm sure it varies with the year, but I think being #8 on the waitlist is a pretty good spot to be 🙂

I was #14 IS, and I got my acceptance call in mid-July. They'll send you an update letter about your location on the waitlist in May or so, but I called Larry once or twice in between to see if I was moving up at all.

Congratulations everyone! Go out and buy some good post-season winter boots and coats in preparation for next year 🙂

I am #15 on the IS waitlist...I was pretty dissapointed about that, but I do think I still have a shot at getting in, since I've heard many people who were around that number and still got in. And being #8 on the OOS waitlist...you will get in! That is definetly not a bad number at all. 🙂 It just sucks to have to WAIT MORE!!!
 
Congrats to everybody that got in!

For those of you that know you are going, you may want to start a facebook group for the class of 2013. It's a great way to start to get to know your classmates and colleagues (you'll understand that reference next year) in the classes ahead of you. Our class also organized some meet and greets out at some bars before the semester started.

Good luck and enjoy your last months of freedom!
 
Kai- would you ever consider doing a DVM/PhD? You pay for your first two years of vet school, then spend two years doing your PhD, then two years doing both programs together. Your PhD pays for itself and your last two years of vet school, so you get two degrees in six years, but only pay for the first two years of vet school.

That and the army are the two main ways people get around MN's big OOS tuition... good luck deciding!

Yes I might consider a combined program, as I had thought of getting boarded in my specialty, and I will have an MS in about 2 months anyhow. A lot of that depends on my initial experiences, and if Dr. Root and I mesh well, as she most likely would be my faculty adviser for any PhD program. Anyone know if you can switch to the combined program after the first year or two? I am a non-trad age student however, so there is a bit of a pressure to get out and practice before I keel over -- although I am not THAT old, yet.:scared:

As for the army, no, and I don't think they would support my practice interests anyhow. I am not a GP guy.

Kai
 
Hey Kai,

I am in the same situation. I loved Minnesota when I went there. They are perfect for what I want to do. But the fee is prohibitive! Being a non-trad, I don't want to do a combined program either (unless it the MPH that u can finish within the 4 years)! I would be interested in knowing your thinking behind what u choose! Good luck!
 
Anyone know if you can switch to the combined program after the first year or two?

Yes, I'd say most people who decide to do the dual degree apply for the PhD program during their second year of vet school.

I don't know a single person who hasn't meshed well with Dr. Root- she's the best! I almost took the therio rotation just so I could hang out with her for two weeks, even though I have no interest in therio.
 
Yes, I'd say most people who decide to do the dual degree apply for the PhD program during their second year of vet school.

I don't know a single person who hasn't meshed well with Dr. Root- she's the best! I almost took the therio rotation just so I could hang out with her for two weeks, even though I have no interest in therio.

From what I heard during my interview weekend this is pretty much the consensus on her. The fact that she chose to leave town the weekend I came to visit also speaks volumes for her common sense. 😀 Dr. Root is pretty much the reason I probably will be living in Saint Paul as of this fall, even though I have yet to meet her personally. That and also the warm fuzzy feeling I got from everyone else while I was there a few weeks ago. I am truely tired of being just a number at a "high profile" grad school. Even with the higher cost, some things just cannot have a pricetag placed on them and MN seems to have that intangible feel good vibe for me. Money is not everything, at least as long as you have enough to pay the mortgage... I do not need to be rich.

Kai
 
Yes, I'd say most people who decide to do the dual degree apply for the PhD program during their second year of vet school.

Yeah, I actually haven't even seen on the site a way to apply for the dual degree until you start school (I'm going to apply to MN this upcoming cycle).

I was just looking at the site yesterday to research possible PIs, and found Dr. Mickelson's work really interesting, and then today I found out he was giving a seminar at UCD and my PI here had him at our lab meeting. :laugh:
 
I am so anxious about getting in to MN! I sent in my page to remain on the waitlist. Does anyone know how far the OOS waitlist moved last year?

Thanks!!:scared:
 
My acceptance letter finally came!!!! I was getting pretty nervous as I'm pretty sure UMN is my top choice!

Yay, congrats to everyone!
 
Thanks! I can't wait, I'm turning down my instate school cause I loved it so much. I'm 99% sure I'm going, U of I sent me a scholarship but I think Minnesota is by far worth giving that up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm so excited I was ready to put my deposit check in the mail when I got home yesterday, now on to finding housing and a stable to keep my horses at. I'm really considering the DVM/MPH program.
 
Does anyone know if MN over accepts the number of people for admission? I know some schools only have 40 seats for OOS, but still accept 60; Now the waitlist won't get tapped in to until later. I didn't know if MN did this? Hopefully not!:xf:
 
There is a facebook group up! So MN class of 2013... join! 😀

University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine c/o 2013!
 
For those moving from out of state, how early do you plan on moving there. I know we start toward the first of September so I was thinking around the beginning of August to get settled in and all.
 
Just to keep the OOS waitlist people up to date, I know personally of two accepted people who are turning MN down, and I really do not know that many people. :lame: So hopefully several spots will have already opened up for you.

Kai
 
So I'm starting to look for the housing options so I can put together a budget for each year. Anyone have any suggestions on places they've found?
 
Put me on the list of people starting to look for housing. Any pointers for someone with 4 dogs? I'd appreciate any leads.

Kai
 
Put me on the list of people starting to look for housing. Any pointers for someone with 4 dogs? I'd appreciate any leads.

Kai


I found one on craigslist that said dogs welcomed and even mentioned that theres a dog play area around the corner. Not sure if 4 dogs would be included in that but its also a 4 bedroom.

I'm having a hard time since I have no clue of the area and really want to be within walking distance (not that I plan on walking all the time but the option would be nice)
 
So I'm starting to look for the housing options so I can put together a budget for each year. Anyone have any suggestions on places they've found?

Count me in on the housing hunt- I think I'd like to move up and get settled over the summer. I wonder if it's better to wait and try to find something through with the school's help or to strike out on my own via craigslist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Barnaby I think its a good idea to start at least a little bit on your own to build up some sort of expectations, I just got tired of mapquesting everyplace I found to see how far it is from the school.


So this may be a dumb questions but as far as duplexs and what not when they say upper and lower, its referring to their position as to ones closer to the street and the others behind it or like on thing is upstairs the other is down. Sorry prolly a really stupid question but I hadn't even heard of duplex's before going to the midwest for my interviews so I'm completely clueless.
 
^^ If you haven't joined the facebook group yet, it might be helpful! There is a topic started about finding roommates/housing. You might be able to hook up with someone!
 
I emailed Larry Bjorklund to see if he had any status updates in regards to the alternate list, and he replied back saying that they still haven't received a good number of OOS responses and probably won't be able to know anything for a couple weeks.
 
Hey future Gophers! Not sure if you are aware of this, but Larry Bjorklund is retiring at the end of this semester. If you've had some interaction with him throughout your application process, you might want to send him a quick thank-you, since I'm not sure you'll see him in person once you get to the U in the fall. We'll miss him!
 
Hi Everyone,
So i posted on the off the waitlist thread. but just in case others on the waitlist missed it. I got accepted off the waitlist today, i was #8 on the oos list. I am not 100% sure if i will be going, because I did commit to another school, however, minnesota was my first choice so i am about 90% sure i will be attending.