Minnesota c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So is anyone going to buy a new computer? I definitely need to. I remember on my tour the1st year giving the tour told us that people with Macs have some issues with some of the software that we need and she reccomended a PC. Just wondering what eveyone's plans are.
If you have a Mac, you can just install Windows on it and switch to Windows for anything that needs it. No big.

I'm bringing my Macs (MacBook and iMac) and strongly considering picking up an iPad for note-taking.
 
Last year, they sent out specs for computers in May, I think. I went laptop shopping with a first-year friend and remember they recommended a big minimum screen size for viewing digital radiographs. Don't know how important that actually is, though. I would think you could use a desktop for that, if necessary.

Any current students have advice?
 
I was in the market for a new laptop last year anyway so I went by their specs which included a minimum 17" screen. A lot of people in class have smaller screens though and seem to get by just fine so I wouldn't say it's *required.* Plus you can definitely use the larger desktop screens in the library or at home or whatever if you ever needed to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any of the other first years gone through the current student section on the website and checked out what last year's schedule looked like? I'm gonna have to get a good planner, because with that much shuffling, I feel like it'll be hard to keep track of what classes we're working on! :laugh:

Current students - is it tough to keep track with classes popping in and out every few weeks like that, or do you get used to it pretty quick?
 
Have any of the other first years gone through the current student section on the website and checked out what last year's schedule looked like?

Guilty. 🙂 If you dig around, you can even find the tentative times for classes and labs in fall 2010. Which can be used to make an Outlook version of our fall 2010 calendar. 😳 Yes, I am obsessed. And WAY too impatient to wait for official things from the school. 😉

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, I'd be happy to send it to you. It's as chaotic as the fall 2009 one, but with a somewhat different arrangement of classes. And I'm sure they are probably still tinkering with it, so it may need some updating.

Current students - is it tough to keep track with classes popping in and out every few weeks like that, or do you get used to it pretty quick?

I've wondered that, too.
 
Last edited:
Guilty. 🙂 If you dig around, you can even find the tentative times for classes and labs in fall 2010. Which can be used to make an Outlook version of our fall 2010 calendar. 😳 Yes, I am obsessed. And WAY too impatient to wait for official things from the school. 😉

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, I'd be happy to send it to you. It's as chaotic as the fall 2009 one, but with a somewhat different arrangement of classes. And I'm sure they are probably still tinkering with it, so it may need some updating.



I've wondered that, too.
I would love a copy! Thanks.
 
So my last day of class is Wednesday and exams are next week. After that I'm sure I will be in full obsession mode.

But it still doesn't seem real to me. Anyone else feel like this is some dream we are going to wake up from?
 
So my last day of class is Wednesday and exams are next week. After that I'm sure I will be in full obsession mode.

But it still doesn't seem real to me. Anyone else feel like this is some dream we are going to wake up from?

I'm just waiting for them to get my transcript next week and go, "Oh, you took THAT class? We wanted THIS class. Sorry, no vet school for you."
 
Please don't even joke about a transcript problem! That would be so awful I couldn't even imagine. A girl at my school got in to vet school last year and had enrolled and everything and the school told her one of her pre-requisites didn't count in like late July. It was too late to take a summer class or anything so she was just screwed and they didn't think she had a valid argument. I would have curled up in a ball in my room and rotted away.
 
Guilty. 🙂 If you dig around, you can even find the tentative times for classes and labs in fall 2010. Which can be used to make an Outlook version of our fall 2010 calendar. 😳 Yes, I am obsessed. And WAY too impatient to wait for official things from the school. 😉

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, I'd be happy to send it to you. It's as chaotic as the fall 2009 one, but with a somewhat different arrangement of classes. And I'm sure they are probably still tinkering with it, so it may need some updating.



I've wondered that, too.

This cracks me up 🙂.

But yeah, I'd like a copy- Thanks! I'll PM you my e-mail address.
 
Please don't even joke about a transcript problem! That would be so awful I couldn't even imagine. A girl at my school got in to vet school last year and had enrolled and everything and the school told her one of her pre-requisites didn't count in like late July. It was too late to take a summer class or anything so she was just screwed and they didn't think she had a valid argument. I would have curled up in a ball in my room and rotted away.

Omg, I'm freaking out now. That had better not happen.
 
Current students - is it tough to keep track with classes popping in and out every few weeks like that, or do you get used to it pretty quick?

Nope 😉 You adjust to the chaos. I rarely even know what day it is- I just keep a copy of my master schedule and see where I need to be and when.
 
Nope 😉 You adjust to the chaos. I rarely even know what day it is- I just keep a copy of my master schedule and see where I need to be and when.

Do they give a warning or do you have to keep pretty good track of the schedule? I've printed off all of the '09-'10 schedules from the CVM website (makes me feel like a stalker. lol :ninja:) and they seem to change pretty quickly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just FYI for all of you IS alternates, I know of an accepted Minnesota resident who is probably going to take a position at another school where she was an alternate. So maybe someone else will be getting a call from Minnesota soon!
 
I'm coming out to visit in a week or two! So excited!

Let elliepants and I know when you're coming so we can meet up! One of the Facebook folks (Jessie, you're not lurking here, are you?) will be visiting in a couple weeks, too, so maybe we can even get a group event organized.

Can't wait to meet you all! 😀

Now back to studying for finals... 🙄
 
Let elliepants and I know when you're coming so we can meet up! One of the Facebook folks (Jessie, you're not lurking here, are you?) will be visiting in a couple weeks, too, so maybe we can even get a group event organized.

Can't wait to meet you all! 😀

Now back to studying for finals... 🙄

I'll be around too. Would love to meet up with you guys!
 
Do they give a warning or do you have to keep pretty good track of the schedule? I've printed off all of the '09-'10 schedules from the CVM website (makes me feel like a stalker. lol :ninja:) and they seem to change pretty quickly.


There is no warning. You are 100% responsible for being in the right place at the right time!
 
Ok, was anyone else ridiculously excited that we had THREE e-mails from the CVM today! So thrilling! 😀
 
I was really excited! But 3?! I only got two emails. One about the buddy group survey and one about the housing facebook group.
 
Yes! But some of the survey questions are kind of loaded...

What do you enjoy most about veterinary medicine?

I can't help but feel like there's a right answer...

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

Ummmm....

SDN?
 
I was really excited! But 3?! I only got two emails. One about the buddy group survey and one about the housing facebook group.

Scubblescully,

There's a welcome dinner and tour on May 20th, but I think it's for residents only (?). The third e-mail was about that event. Am I right, P?
 
I was really excited! But 3?! I only got two emails. One about the buddy group survey and one about the housing facebook group.

Oh, of course. That makes sense. One of them was about the welcome dinner on May 20 for ISers.

ETA: E, we posted at the same time, but you were quicker! I have a feeling I should get used to that!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good! I was afraid I wasn't part of some secret society or something. haha

A secret society of in-staters! Seriously, though, they wine and dine you guys during your interviews, so I guess they feel like they should at least feed us once. 😀
 
Ha! I wrote: "Free time? What's that again? 😛" And then proceeded to give my real answer. 😀

I know, right?

I said something about working on our house (which pretty much consumes my free time these days), but I can't help but feel a little self-conscious about my answers. Maybe I'm reading too much into this...
 
I heard they accepted too many people so they are using that survey to eliminate 15 more students from the class of 2014. I hope all of your answers were good......
 
I know, right?

I said something about working on our house (which pretty much consumes my free time these days), but I can't help but feel a little self-conscious about my answers. Maybe I'm reading too much into this...

Hee. I don't think they will kick you out for having inappropriate free time activities. Well, maybe if they were REALLY inappropriate. 😀

Sorry, I am punchy tonight! 🙄

ETA: Ha, scubblescully!
 
Today was my last day of undergrad classes! So I'm in a really good mood and really tired. Just two more exams between me and vet school!
 
Today was my last day of undergrad classes! So I'm in a really good mood and really tired. Just two more exams between me and vet school!

Me too! Except I'm dreading my 7:30 a.m. Monday physics final so I can't really be in a good mood yet. The three that follow should be fine though.

But next Wednesday I will be done with undergrad (again), forever!!!

When is your last final, scubblescully?
 
I have anatomy and physiology at 8:30 Wednesday and Biochem at 11:30 Wednesday and then I'm done! They'll be rough back to back though...
 
Hee. I don't think they will kick you out for having inappropriate free time activities. Well, maybe if they were REALLY inappropriate. 😀

Sorry, I am punchy tonight! 🙄

ETA: Ha, scubblescully!

When I mentioned to my boyfriend that I was having trouble coming up with an answer to "What do you like most about veterinary medicine?", he suggested:

"Oh s***, this isn't dentistry?"

I laughed (hard). But they might not 🙂.
 
I have anatomy and physiology at 8:30 Wednesday and Biochem at 11:30 Wednesday and then I'm done! They'll be rough back to back though...

Ugh, I hate when that happens. I have two on Tuesday, but they both should be pretty easy: med micro and virology.

When I mentioned to my boyfriend that I was having trouble coming up with an answer to "What do you like most about veterinary medicine?", he suggested:

"Oh s***, this isn't dentistry?"

I laughed (hard). But they might not 🙂.

Ha! Your boyfriend is awesome! :laugh:

Seriously though, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be your usual wonderful self and your Buddy Community will love you! 😀
 
I wonder when we'll find out who is in our buddy community. Did you guys say yes to sending a picture or no?
 
I wonder when we'll find out who is in our buddy community. Did you guys say yes to sending a picture or no?

I did say yes, yes. I just sent my Facebook picture. I hate having my photo taken, so I don't have that many to choose from. :laugh:

And yep, scubblescully is on the Facebook group. 🙂

ETA: I am churning out my last Physics assignment between posts, so apologies if I tangent into designing camera lenses or something equally random.
 
Elliepants-
I am on the facebook group and I believe we might be friends but I'll find out. Is elliepants what you call your dog? because I call my dog Graciepants allll the time and get really embarrassed when I do it in public. haha.

I said yes to the picture as well. Then I went to find one really quick not really caring which one it was. Then I became more and more picky all of a sudden and can't decide on a picture now. There just isn't one that captures the full studlyness/humorousness/coolness/kindness/normalness/weirdness that is supposed to be me in my picture that my buddy group sees...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Elliepants-
I am on the facebook group and I believe we might be friends but I'll find out. Is elliepants what you call your dog? because I call my dog Graciepants allll the time and get really embarrassed when I do it in public. haha.

I said yes to the picture as well. Then I went to find one really quick not really caring which one it was. Then I became more and more picky all of a sudden and can't decide on a picture now. There just isn't one that captures the full studlyness/humorousness/coolness/kindness/normalness/weirdness that is supposed to be me in my picture that my buddy group sees...

Graciepants...🙂

Why does it feel natural to add "-pants" to a dog's name?

We are friends, I just checked. Now I feel better.

P-

Good luck on the physics. You're almost done!

This thread is hopping tonight.
 
There just isn't one that captures the full studlyness/humorousness/coolness/kindness/normalness/weirdness that is supposed to be me in my picture that my buddy group sees...

But they'll figure out how awesome you are when they meet you. 🙂

Although if you have a photo that conveys every dimension of your personality, then I am super impressed. And I want to see it. 😀
 
This thread is hopping tonight. Not much diversity, but we are keeping it alive. I am so ridiculously excited about this fall its crazy. It makes me feel like bowling or something. I can't wait to know where I'm gonna be living, or go to the fair, or meet you all, or start classes. We should have a weekend celebration of bowling and state fair before classes. A cookout perhaps?
 
But they'll figure out how awesome you are when they meet you. 🙂

Although if you have a photo that conveys every dimension of your personality, then I am super impressed. And I want to see it. 😀

I feel like the one captioned "Grandma and Gramps 50'th wedding anniverary" (I assume they meant, anniversary) might be perfect!

Just kidding, of course 🙂.