Minnesota c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think its alphabetical I'm V!

I'm still crying, this is incredible!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call ! Accepted to Minnesota I'm so excited my top choice! Congrats and best wishes to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Guys is it a Minneapolis number? I had a missed call (I'm at work and wasn't looking at my phone) from a 612 area code that didn't leave a message. Freaking out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys is it a Minneapolis number? I had a missed call (I'm at work and wasn't looking at my phone) from a 612 area code that didn't leave a message. Freaking out!
Yes it's a 612 number!!! I'm sure it's good news! Call back!

Are there any current Minnesota students that are OOS? Did you apply for in state tuition for your last three years? How easy is the process? I know the vet school is not involved in the decision to make you an in state resident but I was just curious, is it do-able? Any tips?

Has everyone that got a phone call yesterday received an email? My boyfriend and I both got called, but he hasn't gotten an email (while I got one a couple hours after the call).

Has everyone that got a phone call yesterday received an email? My boyfriend and I both got called, but he hasn't gotten an email (while I got one a couple hours after the call).

I did, but former UMN emails went to an "other" folder for me and my friends interview invite went to her spam. Maybe it's just in another folder? Big congrats to you both on your acceptance to the same schooo!

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current student list some pros and cons of going to UMN for vet school?

OOS accepted! I loved the school, the opportunities seemed amazing. I'm nervous about how big the program is though, and worried about getting lost in it all. Any current students have any advice on that? Or am I just feeling irrationally overwhelmed by it all?

OOS accepted! I loved the school, the opportunities seemed amazing. I'm nervous about how big the program is though, and worried about getting lost in it all. Any current students have any advice on that? Or am I just feeling irrationally overwhelmed by it all?
It's only around 100 students, which is pretty average in size I've heard. Not like The OSU where it's what, 160? Definitely doesn't feel big, you get to know your fellow classmates pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)

As an OOS accepted I feel this way, too. I think the possibility of moving to a new city is definitely getting the nerves going. At the same time though, during my interview weekend, I felt a huge sense of community among the students and faculty. I actually couldn't believe when my interviewer sat down at my table with current students and myself the following day for lunch. I was really impressed with how years 1-4 were willing to attend the student panel and I think if we end up here, they will prevent us from getting lost. Could be wishful thinking but I really was so impressed with how kind and helpful everyone was.

As an OOS accepted I feel this way, too. I think the possibility of moving to a new city is definitely getting the nerves going. At the same time though, during my interview weekend, I felt a huge sense of community among the students and faculty. I actually couldn't believe when my interviewer sat down at my table with current students and myself the following day for lunch. I was really impressed with how years 1-4 were willing to attend the student panel and I think if we end up here, they will prevent us from getting lost. Could be wishful thinking but I really was so impressed with how kind and helpful everyone was.

It's not wishful thinking - that's really how it feels here. We are a pretty tight-knit community and we all are watching out for each other. The first years had a crazy week this past week with exams, and we came out of our last one to find that some of the second years had baked goodies and left them on the table immediately outside our classroom for all of us (as an example). We have a student group called JumpStart that is run by second years for first years, where we talk about what strategies we used for various classes to really get the material down, and we make and give practice exams (including anatomy!). I'm the president-elect of that group and we're already starting to think up ways to help the class of 2021 with making the adjustment to vet school.

I've done a lot of pro/con posts about the school so I'm going to summarize, but I know @kcoughli, @LetItSnow, and others have posted a bunch of them as well.

Pros: amazing faculty. Great sense of community and teamwork. High caseload in the hospitals. Lots of opportunities for hands on classes. Student job opportunities in the hospital. Clerk duty shifts (I know some people disagree with me on this being a pro, but I really like having shifts in the large animal hospital since it's not the area of vet med I'll be going into). Research opportunities. The program really takes student feedback into account and makes changes to the curriculum based on it. The public health program here is very strong.

Other pros not specific to the college of vet med - the Twin Cities are a fun area to live. Lots of bike trails and other outdoor activities. Conveniences of city living without being directly downtown. Lots of good food and local breweries! Great public transportation.

Cons: it's expensive (you can change your residency, I know people who have done it, but as an IS student, I personally have no experience with it). Parking is expensive, but if you carpool with someone and split the cost, it's not so bad. There's not an exotics clinic on campus, but there are opportunities outside the school for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's not wishful thinking - that's really how it feels here. We are a pretty tight-knit community and we all are watching out for each other. The first years had a crazy week this past week with exams, and we came out of our last one to find that some of the second years had baked goodies and left them on the table immediately outside our classroom for all of us (as an example). We have a student group called JumpStart that is run by second years for first years, where we talk about what strategies we used for various classes to really get the material down, and we make and give practice exams (including anatomy!). I'm the president-elect of that group and we're already starting to think up ways to help the class of 2021 with making the adjustment to vet school.

I've done a lot of pro/con posts about the school so I'm going to summarize, but I know @kcoughli, @LetItSnow, and others have posted a bunch of them as well.

Pros: amazing faculty. Great sense of community and teamwork. High caseload in the hospitals. Lots of opportunities for hands on classes. Student job opportunities in the hospital. Clerk duty shifts (I know some people disagree with me on this being a pro, but I really like having shifts in the large animal hospital since it's not the area of vet med I'll be going into). Research opportunities. The program really takes student feedback into account and makes changes to the curriculum based on it. The public health program here is very strong.

Other pros not specific to the college of vet med - the Twin Cities are a fun area to live. Lots of bike trails and other outdoor activities. Conveniences of city living without being directly downtown. Lots of good food and local breweries! Great public transportation.

Cons: it's expensive (you can change your residency, I know people who have done it, but as an IS student, I personally have no experience with it). Parking is expensive, but if you carpool with someone and split the cost, it's not so bad. There's not an exotics clinic on campus, but there are opportunities outside the school for it.

@wallydo I'm glad I'm not the only one! And I think you're right, it's a huge change but an exciting one nonetheless. And @supershorty thank you for this insight! I really did pick up on a lot of that while I was there :happy:

@wallydo I'm glad I'm not the only one! And I think you're right, it's a huge change but an exciting one nonetheless. And @supershorty thank you for this insight! I really did pick up on a lot of that while I was there :happy:

You're welcome! Feel free to PM me with questions if you want :)

Thanks for all the helpful information @supershorty . Would you mind if I PM'ed you some questions also?

Feel free to PM me specific questions, just know I'm a jaded fourth year who's got a bad case of senioritis so my pro con list will just be what I posted above

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Well, they can get the jaded 4th year perspective from you and the bright eyed crazy 1st year* one from me, maybe we average out!

*According to Dr. Malone yesterday, I have a reputation of being the "happy, bouncy one" :laugh:

I've always liked clinical trials. When I worked in GP and there was a trial going on at MSU that we could refer a patient to, I always thought it was a really neat for that particular case to be worked up (if the owners were interested, of course). I just happened to see a UMN CVM FB post about a clinical trial and clicked the link - they have so many going! That's all. :cat:

Does MN have a white coat ceremony for incoming students?

White coat ceremony is for 3rd years as they transition into clinics.
As it should be.

Yeah okay I probably only think this because MN does it this way, but honestly it makes so much sense and was such a happy milestone to transition to clinics that I wouldn't have changed it for anything. Putting it before first year would have cheapened it for me personally, it just wouldn't have meant as much. 3 years of vet school lectures and labs and I felt like I earned that white coat.

As it should be.

Yeah okay I probably only think this because MN does it this way, but honestly it makes so much sense and was such a happy milestone to transition to clinics that I wouldn't have changed it for anything. Putting it before first year would have cheapened it for me personally, it just wouldn't have meant as much. 3 years of vet school lectures and labs and I felt like I earned that white coat.

No, I totally agree. I do see the argument of "they've matriculated, they are part of the profession, let's honor that with white coat" for schools that do it right away, but on the whole I don't think it really makes sense. Doing it right before *clinicals* is more in the spirit of 'white coat' since that really signifies the clinical aspect of the training. And it's a chance for you and family to take a big deep breath, celebrate a tough three years, and get excited for the fourth-year whirlwind. It's a nice way of saying "congrats, you accomplished something ... now let's get going."

All in all, I don't like it done Day 1 either.

But the arguments have pretty much been hashed to death and people are pretty firmly stuck to their opinions. (Including me.)

Does UMN send acceptance letters by mail?

Does UMN send acceptance letters by mail?

No, they send emails. They also did phone calls the first week of acceptances. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but I think it's just emails!

No, they send emails. They also did phone calls the first week of acceptances. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but I think it's just emails!

I believe you are correct. I only received the call + email, no letter here!

This is probably a long shot… but does anyone know if there are affordable housing options for large animals in the area?

I’m trying to figure out what to do with my ‘pets’ (two jersey steers and a holstein heifer) while I’m at vet school. I could probably find boarding locally, but I’d really like to bring at least one of them up with me. They helped me throughout undergrad and they just might keep me sane during the transition to city living/vet school.

This is probably a long shot… but does anyone know if there are affordable housing options for large animals in the area?

I’m trying to figure out what to do with my ‘pets’ (two jersey steers and a holstein heifer) while I’m at vet school. I could probably find boarding locally, but I’d really like to bring at least one of them up with me. They helped me throughout undergrad and they just might keep me sane during the transition to city living/vet school.

Huh. Cool. I've never heard of anyone bringing cows to vet school with them. I hope you can find something, because that's just cool. Are they used to a herd? That might be tough. If they just need pasture/feed/etc. .... I gotta think you could swing something *somewhere*, though it may take some work to find a place.

If you do manage to figure it out, can you update us?

Huh. Cool. I've never heard of anyone bringing cows to vet school with them. I hope you can find something, because that's just cool. Are they used to a herd? That might be tough. If they just need pasture/feed/etc. .... I gotta think you could swing something *somewhere*, though it may take some work to find a place.

If you do manage to figure it out, can you update us?

Thanks.

They are my only cattle, so no, they’re not used to being part of a herd. The steers both have some training as oxen and they are all very well behaved/friendly animals.

They wouldn’t need much. They could be kept in a barn, pasture, or dry lot, whatever is available.

I’ll be sure to update if I find anything.

Thanks.

They are my only cattle, so no, they’re not used to being part of a herd. The steers both have some training as oxen and they are all very well behaved/friendly animals.

They wouldn’t need much. They could be kept in a barn, pasture, or dry lot, whatever is available.

I am a SA doc, so I know almost nothing about cows/horses/etc. (I did work a dairy farm as a kid, but that was a few decades ago.)

That said, I used to walk right by the teaching herd on my way from the parking lot into vet school every morning. I almost <always> got there 5 minutes early to stop and talk and pet a few of the teaching herd. There were a few I was especially fond of. Neat animals.

Thanks.

Another idea for you would be to call the vet school and ask to talk to some of the teaching staff that do bovine work. People like Drs. Fetrow, Sorge, and Goldsmith might have some good ideas for you because they really know people in the area - they're always being contacted for consultation. All three of those deal with students frequently and should be pretty approachable. They might say "no idea!" but there isn't any harm in asking. Calling the applications people you've been dealing with would be the way to get in contact with them - just explain the question.

Also, post in the c/o 2021 Facebook page (if you're committed to UMN) and ask - other students may have great ideas.

Another idea for you would be to call the vet school and ask to talk to some of the teaching staff that do bovine work. People like Drs. Fetrow, Sorge, and Goldsmith might have some good ideas for you because they really know people in the area - they're always being contacted for consultation. All three of those deal with students frequently and should be pretty approachable. They might say "no idea!" but there isn't any harm in asking. Calling the applications people you've been dealing with would be the way to get in contact with them - just explain the question.

Also, post in the c/o 2021 Facebook page (if you're committed to UMN) and ask - other students may have great ideas.

Ok, thank you for the ideas!

Does anyone know about a good website to try and find housing for next year (other than the obvious rental sites truila, zillow, etc)? I haven't heard anything about an official facebook c/o 2021 page either and was wondering if they had one as well. Trying to get my 2 pups and I situated for August!

Does anyone know about a good website to try and find housing for next year (other than the obvious rental sites truila, zillow, etc)? I haven't heard anything about an official facebook c/o 2021 page either and was wondering if they had one as well. Trying to get my 2 pups and I situated for August!

Hi! Here is the C/O 2021 page... https://www.facebook.com/groups/637688703084655/

There have been quite a few postings on there for rooms! I am still waiting a little longer to hear about my IS, but if that doesn't work out, I will also be looking for a place for myself and two pups as well. Good luck with your searching!

Just declined by OOS seat. Good luck to everyone! :)

I was called off the waitlist at MSU yesterday (my IS), paid my deposit, and therefore will be declining my OOS seat at UMN. I just want to say, to all of you from/going to the University of Minnesota - you guys have an AWESOME thing going. I was beyond impressed in every way during my interview weekend in Minnesota and still can't shake the feeling of warmth and family that this school emits. Hopefully saving so much tuition wise will allow me to visit Minneapolis again sometime - I just loved it there. Much <3 to you all.

I was called off the waitlist at MSU yesterday (my IS), paid my deposit, and therefore will be declining my OOS seat at UMN. I just want to say, to all of you from/going to the University of Minnesota - you guys have an AWESOME thing going. I was beyond impressed in every way during my interview weekend in Minnesota and still can't shake the feeling of warmth and family that this school emits. Hopefully saving so much tuition wise will allow me to visit Minneapolis again sometime - I just loved it there. Much <3 to you all.

You and @southcpupvet can come crash with me whenever you want! :thumbup:

@supershorty you know I will definitely take you up on that offer!!!! And you better visit me in Ohio, I have to show you around Columbus! It was so hard to decline Minnesota, you're right @wallydo the school is incredibly warm and the people are so kind!

@supershorty you know I will definitely take you up on that offer!!!! And you better visit me in Ohio, I have to show you around Columbus! It was so hard to decline Minnesota, you're right @wallydo the school is incredibly warm and the people are so kind!
Except @LetItSnow, he's a big meanie.

But in reality, good luck wherever you all end up! Vet school is only 4 years, you'll have the rest of your life afterwards to move to the amazing Minnesota :p

Hi guys! If any of you are still looking for housing for this upcoming year me and my new roommates are looking for one roommate.

4 incoming first year students looking for one more roommate, male or female (LGBTQ friendly)! We have a house (5bdrm 3bth) in Roseville (5 min drive, 10 min bike ride) from campus. Right by bus station and a 2 minute drive to a target, grocery store, and shopping mall! No cats, and no more dogs (already have 2). Great neighborhood, lots of living space, big yard and off-street parking. Rent is $500 plus utilities. June 1st move in. Message for more details and pictures :)!

Would any out of state UMN students mind sharing why they chose Minnesota? Also if anyone has switched residency after one year and was able to get in state tuition any insight on the process would be greatly appreciated. My tour guide made it sound really easy but I just want to be sure. Some backstory - my only options are out of state so the cost difference isn’t drastic but UMN would be my cheapest option.