Minnesota c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If that holds true; that'd be Valentine's day!

Members don't see this ad.

I need serious help... if it comes to the point where I have to decide can someone make me an arguement for why MN would be the better choice over Mizzou!? I loved them both so much and I don't see how I could go wrong either way! Any pointers on how you choose??

I need serious help... if it comes to the point where I have to decide can someone make me an arguement for why MN would be the better choice over Mizzou!? I loved them both so much and I don't see how I could go wrong either way! Any pointers on how you choose??

@supershorty--this one is for you!

I declined my interview, but have to say that it sounds wonderful there. I am sure "supershorty" can expand on that. Calling supershorty! You could also look at the pros and cons in the thread where people wrote about each particular school. Overall cost is something to consider as well. Also ask whether they have what you want (for example, some schools don't have certain programs--such as shelter med or mixed animal, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose the cheaper school.

What did people wear to the tour of the Leatherdale equine center? i was probably going to wear black pants and a nice sweater or button down ... but don't want to seem under dressed. any input would be appreciated!

@supershorty--this one is for you!

I declined my interview, but have to say that it sounds wonderful there. I am sure "supershorty" can expand on that. Calling supershorty! You could also look at the pros and cons in the thread where people wrote about each particular school. Overall cost is something to consider as well. Also ask whether they have what you want (for example, some schools don't have certain programs--such as shelter med or mixed animal, etc).

Cost isn't an issue I'd be instate at MN but could get instate at Mizzou after a year which results in a tuition cost of nearly the same amount after the 4 years. I'm not 100% certain what I want to do but both offer enough of a variety that I know that when I decide that won't be an issue...ugghhh this is difficult!

What did people wear to the tour of the Leatherdale equine center? i was probably going to wear black pants and a nice sweater or button down ... but don't want to seem under dressed. any input would be appreciated!

I wore black jeans and a sweater and that was totally fine! Some people were wearing blue jeans and a sweatshirt!

I changed into jeans before the tour. Some people were still wearing their interview attire and others had on jeans.

I can't speak to Mizzou because I've never been there, but I really love Minnesota for a lot of reasons.

-The faculty. I feel like everyone probably says this about their school, but I feel like our faculty are so supportive and really want all of us to be successful and the best vets we can be. I'm one of the first year class representatives, so I work pretty closely with our professors, and I've been really impressed by how hard they work to improve their courses to make them better for student success. We have regularly meeting focus groups where the class reps bring feedback to the profs and it actually does make a difference in how they teach.

-Our student body is SO supportive of everyone. We're a fairly large program, but all of the upperclassmen I've met have been more than willing to help us first years with anything we have questions on, even teaching us things that we haven't necessarily learned in class yet (a third year taught me suture patterns the first week of school, things like that). We do end up working together in some classes, I know there's a 1st & 2nd year collaborative class this semester, and it's been really great being able to learn from people who just went through it. On this same line of thought, our faculty mentors really push that we are not competing with each other anymore - the hard part of getting IN is over, and we are strongly encouraged to work together so our entire class succeeds. We have student groups that are there for everyone too - one of the ones I'm highly involved in is run by second years and its goal is to help first years make the transition into vet school, and I think we have one of the biggest executive boards (20 people next year!!). We all come together to make the experience here great, and I think it shows in how happy our students are.

-We have many opportunities for hands-on work with animals, even as first years. We have required "clerk duty" shifts in the large animal hospital twice a semester (I think 2nd and 3rd years have clerk duty in the small animal hospital too), where we spend 6 hours getting to work with real patients and being guided by the techs. We have job opportunities for more of that - I work overnight shifts on weekends as a student technician here, so I get 8 hours of patient care practice every week (plus some time for studying). We had labs last semester and this semester where we learned how to do physical exams and got to do it with real animals - horses, cows, dogs, and cats, so far. The school takes us on field trips to see aspects of the food animal and performance animal industry; we went to a horse farm and a dairy last semester, and I think this semester we're going to a beef farm, swine facility, and maybe a poultry facility. And the faculty here are more than willing to let you shadow, and put you to work if you do!

-The research opportunities here are second to none. How much that factors in for you depends on your individual interests; for me, it was a huge draw. The opportunities for collaboration here are great, especially since the med school is so close.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have if I didn't hit on something you're wondering about!

Reactions: 1 users
Cost isn't an issue I'd be instate at MN but could get instate at Mizzou after a year which results in a tuition cost of nearly the same amount after the 4 years. I'm not 100% certain what I want to do but both offer enough of a variety that I know that when I decide that won't be an issue...ugghhh this is difficult!
Another factor to consider is the feeling you get when you are at the school during interviews. If you have not yet interviewed at both, then observe that. If you have, then picture yourself at each school. Contact students. Ask about things that are important to you. Get a broad picture. Don't worry about this now. I, too, am struggling with my choice. But I have until April! One day it is one school, another day it is another. I am contacting students and different people to gather more information. Ultimately, I know that I will be happy at any school I choose. But I want to make a powerful choice and not rush it. There is no rush. Yes, I wanted to start looking for housing, etc. But this is important. Relax. It's only February!

Does anyone know if there is a place to leave our luggage on Saturday if we are planning to head directly to the airport after the tour and Q&A session?

I am with kcoughli - go where it is cheaper. But if it really works out approximately the same:

What are your career goals and where do you want to end up geographically?

That info would help with advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with kcoughli - go where it is cheaper. But if it really works out approximately the same:

What are your career goals and where do you want to end up geographically?

That info would help with advice.

I'm really interested in animal rehab(not sure if I'm leaning towards small, large, exotic) but also not 100% sure if I want to go down the specialization route...if not I'm looking into small animal or equine...honestly I have so many interests that I'll have to get started to really get a better grasp of where I for sure want to go!

Geographically I'm not particular at all...I did my undergrad at Missouri and grew up in MN so I know both places pretty well but I'm also open to moving elsewhere too!

Sorry this probably doesn't help my case AT ALL

I'm really interested in animal rehab(not sure if I'm leaning towards small, large, exotic) but also not 100% sure if I want to go down the specialization route...if not I'm looking into small animal or equine...honestly I have so many interests that I'll have to get started to really get a better grasp of where I for sure want to go!

Geographically I'm not particular at all...I did my undergrad at Missouri and grew up in MN so I know both places pretty well but I'm also open to moving elsewhere too!

Sorry this probably doesn't help my case AT ALL

Heh. Not so much. I can't speak to Missouri, but UMN has a very active canine rehabilitation service. It's overseen by one of the Sx clinicians, but largely run by a CVT with specialized training. Standard gear: Underwater treadmill, wobble boards, cavaletti, laser therapy, etc. Occasional feline patients, but mostly canine. I volunteered there for a couple years before vet school.

I asked about geography because all other factors being equal (money usually isn't, and that's the biggest factor as far as I'm concerned), I'd go study where you want to practice. I made so many local contacts in school that are still valuable ... really worthwhile to be able to do that.

MN's strengths:
o Very nice environment - suburban/rural feel in an urban setting. So it manages to be pretty quiet but with all the amenities of a large city within easy bus/drive distance. If you like to bike, the metro area is literally one of the top 3 cities to be in in the United States (at least, during the non-winter months). Trails *EVERYWHERE*. Minnesotans like their outdoor winter sports
o High caseload - the 35k/yr cases does make a difference. The VMC has a new general practice environment - previously GP was packed into a tiny office, tiny conference room, and shared exam rooms with all the other services. Now they have their own large treatment room, huge conference room, separate feline/canine exam rooms that are dedicate GP ... it is essentially it's own clinic within the hospital. It is really neat. I'm jealous I missed out on it.
o The equine center is pretty darn cool. It's not exactly "new" anymore (opened late 2007), but it is still awesome.
o Service opportunities that further your skills: Two clubs (VeTouch - urban wellness care - and SIRVS - reservation wellness/sterilization) can give you a chance to REALLY grow your skills over your first three years. SIRVS is essentially RAVS, but MN-specific. There are other schools with similar opportunities, but not too many where these are so well-developed. (There are all the other typical clubs, as well.)
o Pretty outstanding teachers, both didactic and clinical. They are very aggressively looking at their clinical skill training to try and ensure they are covering skills you'll actually use. I was impressed that the person in charge of it reached out to a few of us to ask "hey, what skills did you get out into practice and realize you didn't have?"

MN weaknesses:
o Crappy parking. I mean, it's there. But it's expensive. Most people walk/bike/carpool/bus.
o Cost.

If that holds true; that'd be Valentine's day!

While it may come out that early, I wouldn't sit there staring at your phone/email/whatever all day. They'll get results out sometime between then and the end of February. In the past it has been that early, so it's possible, but I think it would be wrong to expect that or set that as an expectation.

Hands down, I thought this was the best interview I participated in this cycle. I wish anyone heading into one the very best. Loving UMN so far! Also, I just are a reallllly good burrito at Maya Cuisine. :D

Hello friends! How structured is the equine tour? I RSVP'd and really wanted to go but a problem came up with my travel accommodations and I won't be able to make it. Do you think I need to email someone? Or is there no check in or anything?

Hello friends! How structured is the equine tour? I RSVP'd and really wanted to go but a problem came up with my travel accommodations and I won't be able to make it. Do you think I need to email someone? Or is there no check in or anything?

It's not super structured, it's very casual if you can't make it you'll be okay :) It is a very cool place though I'm sorry you'll miss the tour!

I found a great video of Leatherdale on youtube I sent to my family who were unable to make it to my interview. I would definitely check it out if you have time, the facilities are really impressive!

It's not super structured, it's very casual if you can't make it you'll be okay :) It is a very cool place though I'm sorry you'll miss the tour!

Thank you!!!! I know I'm so bummed! At least I'll be able to see the hospital :)

I found a great video of Leatherdale on youtube I sent to my family who were unable to make it to my interview. I would definitely check it out if you have time, the facilities are really impressive!

This is awesome, thank you!!!

Does anyone know how heavily the interview weighs on the admissions process? I feel awesome about my interview, not so awesome about my grades, and great about my GRE/experiences and don't know if I should start getting excited :p

Also: does anyone know how many OOS are interviewed vs how many are offered a spot?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how heavily the interview weighs on the admissions process? I feel awesome about my interview, not so awesome about my grades, and great about my GRE/experiences and don't know if I should start getting excited :p
1/3 academic, 1/3 non-academic, 1/3 interview

Fell in love with Minnesota today, wow what a cool school. How'd everyone else feel? I also REALLY enjoyed the two interviewers I had.

Reactions: 2 users
Fell in love with Minnesota today, wow what a cool school. How'd everyone else feel? I also REALLY enjoyed the two interviewers I had.

Fell madly, deeply, completely in love. Working at Michigan's veterinary school, I didn't think I'd ever really feel how I feel about MSU about anywhere else (simple thinking, I am embarrassed to admit this). U of Minnesota is such an amazing institution to be so proud of. I loved my interviewers yesterday and loved the school today. Wow. Go Minnesota.

Also, I learned about 1,001 fun things to do in the Twin Cities from the students who volunteered this weekend! SO many activities but not feeling overwhelmed by a huge city. And I took my dog to a brewery last night which I consider a score.

Also, I learned about 1,001 fun things to do in the Twin Cities from the students who volunteered this weekend! SO many activities but not feeling overwhelmed by a huge city. And I took my dog to a brewery last night which I consider a score.
So awesome! They said everyone should be hearing by the end of the upcoming week and accepted students will be called! Good luck :).

So awesome! They said everyone should be hearing by the end of the upcoming week and accepted students will be called! Good luck :).

Same to you!!! Any to anyone else lurking that has interviewed. :D

You were on campus and didn't come visit me on the necropsy floor????

a7e.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Is today going to be the day?!

Reactions: 5 users
Is today going to be the day?!

I take it that it wasn't? Or is everyone just passed out from the good or bad news?

It'll be soon! Hopefully!

Officially, the word we were supposed to give people was "the latter half of the month." In the past few years it's been toward the earlier part of that (like, now), but give them until end of next week before you really start calling! :)

I take it that it wasn't? Or is everyone just passed out from the good or bad news?

Officially, the word we were supposed to give people was "the latter half of the month." In the past few years it's been toward the earlier part of that (like, now), but give them until end of next week before you really start calling! :)
My interview was this past weekend and they told our group of interviewees that calls and emails will be going out by the end of this week!

As far as I know, not today! I believe Karen Nelson said towards the end of this week, so fingers crossed we hear by Friday or early next week!

Just got the call. OOS accepted, and SOBBING in my lab in front of all my lab mates.

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats to the accepted folks! Nicely done.

To anyone who didn't get in, don't be disheartened - just focus on understanding why and doing what's possible to improve.

Reactions: 3 users
Scary and exciting!

Last edited:
Just got a call-last name F so I doubt it's going alpabetical?? My inteviewer was the one who called...not sure if that was intentional or just coincidence.

I GOT IN! I GOT IN! ACCEPTED OOS!

God if it is alphabetical I'm Z....tis the story of my life!!