Misdemeanor dismissed not dropped

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Penguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2011, as a 19 year old, I received an MIP misdemeanor. I successfully completed the pretrial diversion course which, per the court website in my county states...

"The participants benefits by having the charges against him dismissed and his record expunged after successful completion of the program."

Following this, I was told by an attorney that my case was dismissed. I know that AMCAS only worries about convictions but a school where I recently interviewed asks specifically for all charges even if dismissed or expunged.

I am finding out now that my charge was not dropped but only dismissed. I ran the Certiphi background check and should have the file in a couple days.

What should I do? I wasn't intentionally being dishonest, I just misunderstood the terms of my case 5 years ago. I want to by forthright and honest. Should I send an addendum to the admissions committee and explain the situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no lawyer but I think dismissed and dropped are the same thing in this case. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal. If you want to send a message to the school noting that due to a misunderstanding of the terms, you had failed to report a dismissed charge of MIP (spell it out) from back in 2011. In all likelihood it will not hurt your chances of being admitted.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm no lawyer but I think dismissed and dropped are the same thing in this case. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal. If you want to send a message to the school noting that due to a misunderstanding of the terms, you had failed to report a dismissed charge of MIP (spell it out) from back in 2011. In all likelihood it will not hurt your chances of being admitted.
Thank you for the reply, my queen.

Really helped ease my mind. I just don't want it to come across as me trying to hide anything or be dishonest with the adcom.

In 2011, as a 19 year old, I received an MIP misdemeanor. I successfully completed the pretrial diversion course which, per the court website in my county states...

"The participants benefits by having the charges against him dismissed and his record expunged after successful completion of the program."

Following this, I was told by an attorney that my case was dismissed. I know that AMCAS only worries about convictions but a school where I recently interviewed asks specifically for all charges even if dismissed or expunged.

I am finding out now that my charge was not dropped but only dismissed. I ran the Certiphi background check and should have the file in a couple days.

What should I do? I wasn't intentionally being dishonest, I just misunderstood the terms of my case 5 years ago. I want to by forthright and honest. Should I send an addendum to the admissions committee and explain the situation?
If they said it was expunged that means it does not show up on background checks or on your record at all. Seems like they are trying to trick you by asking for expunged charges, I wonder if they are legally allowed to do that for expungements because they definitely can't ask that in job interviews.
Wait for your background check, if you don't see it, they won't. Or be honest and tell them, I doubt it will be the end of the world...you wont be the first person they have even interviewed with an alcohol related offense from their past. Just tell them it was from 5 years ago and it was a mistake and bring a positive light to it (how you have improved, stayed out of trouble, etc)

If it's expunged it doesn't formally exist, at least in my state. Even the government can't get a hold of those records after they've been destroyed. The only way they could possibly hold this against you is if you told them about it.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I will wait for the certiphi check to return. If the charge is there I'll send an email to the Dean explaining the miscommunication, explaining the charge, and then have a beer. It it's not there, I'll just have a beer...

.(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If they state specifically that they are interested in expunged charges, then disclose. Minor in Possession is probably the least significant charge and will not be held against you. As has been stated above, the 'general' rule is that if a charge has been expunged, it doesn't count. But if the school asks specifically to disclose it and you do not, then you're committing a fresh act of dishonesty, and that will be held against you.

Update

All sections marked 'clear' on Ceriphi background check.

What is the next step that I should take? Should I just let it go and not worry about it anymore?

Update

All sections marked 'clear' on Ceriphi background check.

What is the next step that I should take? Should I just let it go and not worry about it anymore?
fake it till you make it