Mississippi vs Drexel IHS

Started by EmBarr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EmBarr

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was hoping to get a few opinions about making a decision between the Mississippi masters program, and Drexel's IHS program. My GPA is pretty low maybe a 2.9- but my MCAT is a 31P (PS-9, BS-11, VR-11). I was waitlisted then rejected by my top choices (EVMS, and Cincinnati). Most opinions of the IHS program on here have been pretty low, but there's not much at all out about Mississippi
 
Hi there!
I also am thinking about going to Drexel IHS (as I was waitlisted then rejected by my top choice programs also)
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do...

BUT I did want to make sure you knew the deal with the Mississippi program, and their strict behavior rules (which apply to their grad student's too). If you know this already and are cool with it, no problem. But, they are a completely substance free environment and expect everyone to follow a strict christian lifestyle. Like i said, if you know this and are fine with it, cool, but just so you are aware.
 
So I was hoping to get a few opinions about making a decision between the Mississippi masters program, and Drexel's IHS program. My GPA is pretty low maybe a 2.9- but my MCAT is a 31P (PS-9, BS-11, VR-11). I was waitlisted then rejected by my top choices (EVMS, and Cincinnati). Most opinions of the IHS program on here have been pretty low, but there's not much at all out about Mississippi

Hey, I also had to decide between these two programs. I think ultimately my choice came down to the fact that MC's program is a one year master's program, which many med/dental adcoms usually recommend. I was also offered the IHS program, and to tell you the truth it sounded kind of hokey...I want to go to med school as soon as possible, and IHS sounds like a waste of time...you're not taking real med school classes, or really anything comparable. At MC, you are taking real graduate classes that are comparable to 1st and 2nd year med school classes, and they are even taught by instructors who also teach at the ole miss med school. The MC program also has lists available on their website of placements of students who graduated from the program, and I have to say it is pretty impressive. Oh and MC is a lot cheaper.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure what you mean by behavior rules. I went to a small Southern Baptist college for undergrad so I'm used to the strict enforcement of the christian lifestyle. it seemed like they could only really get to us when we lived on campus though! I'm really leaning towards Mississippi now, I really appreciate the feedback🙂
 
My knowledge of both programs comprise almost purely off of reading input on SDN from the past couple years and off of their websites so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt as I have no personal experience/investment in either.

I read this post and it made me scratch my head a bit.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9921117&postcount=7

I don't really want to keep vocalizing my dislike for Drexel's method of creating what I have always seen as "low efficacy programs" for the sake of stealing money but if what this person says is true, then Drexel has essentially created a 3 tier system of dubious programs. I gather from many past posts from former IMS students that the acceptance rate of IMS students is about 10% of the class, give or take a couple % either way.

This all would mean IHS is a filter program to send you into their MSP program who then filters students for IMS who then only accepts 10% back into DU-COM. Hmm..

You can also look at it from a different perspective, disregarding what all the SDN members who have posted negative things about the IHS program. Drexel has argubaly 5 "medically oriented" programs (they're purpose is to send you into medical or dental school): IMS, MSP, IHS and DPMS. On SDN it is commonly accepted that MSP is used as a stepping stone into IMS if students do not get into IMS the first time around but it does not state this on Drexel's website

http://drexel.edu/catalog/certificates/msp.htm

so let's just run with that for a moment that all of these programs are geared to enhance your application for medical school. I have no idea how large Drexel's medical school class is but let's just throw out a figure like 160 or something. With 5 programs, DPMS has about 25-30 students if my memory serves me correct where every single student is given a conditional acceptance to the medical school when accepted into the program. Technically that's 25-30 spots already reserved out of that 160. Then IMS sends about 15% (let's be positive) of their class into DU-COM which can be anywhere from 12 (class of 80) or 15 (class of 100). That's already 37-45 spots taken in a class of 160.

That is already 28% of the incoming class disregarding the other 2 programs. I have high doubts on an allopathic school accepting more than 28% of students through this type of backroute as opposed to "traditional" students. Again, I could be wrong but common sense and looking at schools like Gtown, Tufts, and other such SMPs and their acceptance rate back into their medical school from their own programs doesn't even come close to 28%. I figure schools like EVMS can afford to have a high linkage since they only accept 22 students making it easy to accept back most of them.

What was the purpose of all of that hypothetical thinking? I just reason that IHS is simply a filter program (like the initial link that I pasted of the former Drexel student) so you're looking at probably 2+ years before medical school at the very least (realistically) if you wanted to get into DU-COM.

MC on the other hand is a little known program imo but on their website they seem to be very open on disclosing which students have gotten into medical school and where. Granted the majority of the MC graduates seem to precipitate to either ole Miss or DO schools in the region, they still boast a very high acceptance rate. Also the few posts that have been in this forum of MC have been positive and as sshateme pointed out, it is cheaper.