Mizzou C/O 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right, but every other factor isn't equal, making this conversation irrelevant.

To you and I, no. But to 1 applicant out of the 6,200 this year? Maybe? Maybe not.
I know for certain I can not tell them how they are feeling about the equality between two schools.
If they say it is equal, then I must rely upon their perception of its equality.

Members don't see this ad.

Many of these arguments are disqualifying the main factor of the dynamic in my situation given.

We know the sky is not red, but let’s say it is.
If the sky is red, would people ask why is the sky red, like they currently ask why is the sky blue?

The responses seem to be- well the sky’s not red.

I already said this..

You're making an imaginary argument, why?

This would be like arguing if the loch ness monster is real or is big foot is really the real one.

Many of these arguments are disqualifying the main factor of the dynamic in my situation given.

We know the sky is not red, but let’s say it is.
If the sky is red, would people ask why is the sky red, like they currently ask why is the sky blue?

The responses seem to be- well the sky’s not red.

I already said this..
tenor.gif

(Forgive me if you're female, but that makes literal zero sense. Although it's highly possible I'm just too tired for this conversation)
I feel like you're kind of contradicting your initial posts and bringing the thread off-track with these hypotheticals.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you had two wonderful unicorns and everything about them was 100% equal, would you pick the one on the right or the left?
Keep in mind, I have a determining factor that one of the unicorns is ranked by their peers as being better. So if all other things about the unicorn were equal, I guess I would take the one with higher ranking from the peers.

(Just to put your example in its proper context)

tenor.gif

(Forgive me if you're female, but that makes literal zero sense. Although it's highly possible I'm just too tired for this conversation)
I feel like you're kind of contradicting your initial posts and bringing the thread off-track with these hypotheticals.
Not attempting to do so in anyway. Just defending the paraphrasing of my original statement when asked Illinois or mizzou.

To you and I, no. But to 1 applicant out of the 6,200 this year? Maybe? Maybe not.
I know for certain I can not tell them how they are feeling about the equality between two schools.
If they say it is equal, then I must rely upon their perception of its equality.
But F&O never said they view the two schools as equal??? They just said they can get IS tuition at both.
So I am between going to school here or U of I. I can get in-state for both so tuition isn't an issue. How do people like the curriculum structure at Mizzou? My biggest fear is not getting enough hands on experience doing surgeries and other practical clinical skills. Do you feel prepared for the real world? Also how are the exam's like? how bad are the exams? How is life living in Columbia? I am interested in exotic medicine so does this school allow me to get experience with that? Also how do you feel the school exposes you to the different area you can specialize in?

Keep in mind, I have a determining factor that one of the unicorns is ranked by their peers as being better. So if all other things about the unicorn were equal, I guess I would take the one with higher ranking from the peers.

(Just to put your example in its proper context)

Except the vast majority of your peers think that those peers rankings are arbitrary bull **** and ignore them. Do you really want to appeal to the few stuck up elitists in the profession?

Reactions: 2 users
If I had two skies to choose from, and one was red and one was blue, I would go with the blue sky because it has a higher frequency and that is important because higher is better. That is undoubtedly correct.

Reactions: 5 users
If you had two wonderful unicorns and everything about them was 100% equal, would you pick the one on the right or the left?
I would pick the one on the right because that's the right decision and I don't want to be left with the one on the left. That is undoubtedly correct.

Can you tell my father was a lawyer.. sheesh
Except the vast majority of your peers think that those peers rankings are arbitrary bull **** and ignore them. Do you really want to appeal to the few stuck up elitists in the profession?

This is false. The vast majority do not.
The results show about a 50% response rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I even said “only in the situation where everything else is equal”
Which is not the situation we're talking about here, so I don't know why you keep saying that????? I feel like I'm going crazy. o_O

If I had two skies to choose from, and one was red and one was blue, I would go with the blue sky because it has a higher frequency and that is important because higher is better. That is undoubtedly correct.
I just like the color blue more than red, but my friend would go to the red school because they like red better even if blue is collectively ranked higher on mine and 5 other people's color list in a group of 8.

On the other hand I'm off to bed. This conversation is definitely off track once everything became exactly equal in a hypothetical world even for someone who's been up for like a day and a half. I see what vetrunner is getting at but the question was never if all things are equal, just essentially tuition and I hope the original OP can decipher this all when they get on.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have taken statistics, you'd understand why this was a silly response.
You don’t need to get personal. I was responding to the statement that the vast majority ignore it. I guess my interpretation of “vast majority” would not be 50%.

So I am between going to school here or U of I. I can get in-state for both so tuition isn't an issue. How do people like the curriculum structure at Mizzou? My biggest fear is not getting enough hands on experience doing surgeries and other practical clinical skills. Do you feel prepared for the real world? Also how are the exam's like? how bad are the exams? How is life living in Columbia? I am interested in exotic medicine so does this school allow me to get experience with that? Also how do you feel the school exposes you to the different area you can specialize in?
Hi! I actually am a first year that had the same problem. I had always known that I was going to go to U of I vet school if I got in because all my vets went there etc. That was until I went to Columbia for my MU interview. I felt at home when I went to MU. I felt they wanted to know about me and cared about why I was there and I didn't get that same feeling about U of I. I had a co-worker that choose U of I and I choose MU- its all based on personal feelings rather than who is ranked higher. I knew as soon as I left MU that I was going there if I got in because they made me feel at ease. I think you should choose your school on how you felt. You will be there for 4 years and it will be a long 4 years either way, but I wanted to make it the least bit miserable as I could.
Exams are hard. I also knew that I did terrible on midterms and finals in undergrad- so U of I exams wouldn't work well for me. Right now we are in GI phys and we have a test every week, thus, very little material actually covered for each exam. This week we have 2 exams, next week we have 2, etc. Some weeks are worse than others, but it is manageable.
As for the people in my class, unless you are here with those people, I don't think you have any right to make comments on why they are no longer with us. There were a few people that decided it wasn't for them, there were a few people that did not make the grades, but I know that everyone will face burnout in veterinary school no matter where you go. MU, and I am sure that every other school, offers "wellness" events to try to keep everyone "happy". The crude reality is that it is hard and you will face that everywhere. I do think that MU might be more accelerated due to more material in a shorter time, but to me it is worth it to get more time in clinics/externships.
I love Columbia! We go hiking, kayaking, camping, and do pretty much everything you can do outside. I am from a small town and I feel very comfortable in Columbia.
Please don't choose a school based on rank, choose it where you feel at ease. Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any more questions about MU/Columbia.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, if you are going to compare schools based on numbers, I would look at NAVLE pass rates.
I have inserted IL and MU percentages for the NAVLE for several years.

Attachments

• IL.png
    IL.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 68
  • mizzou.png
    mizzou.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 62
Rankings are based solely on the responders perceptions of schools. It relies on these responders to be objective in their views, which humans generally are not great at. This article hints at the issues with the ranking system, and unfortunately the statisticians are holding a more hopeful view on that point than I know to be true from my experience with people. As you will note in the reading, there is no solid data used like there is for medical schools, so you cannot compare the two systems.

<i>U.S. News</i> reveals how it ranks veterinary schools

Reactions: 6 users
Hi! I actually am a first year that had the same problem. I had always known that I was going to go to U of I vet school if I got in because all my vets went there etc. That was until I went to Columbia for my MU interview. I felt at home when I went to MU. I felt they wanted to know about me and cared about why I was there and I didn't get that same feeling about U of I. I had a co-worker that choose U of I and I choose MU- its all based on personal feelings rather than who is ranked higher. I knew as soon as I left MU that I was going there if I got in because they made me feel at ease. I think you should choose your school on how you felt. You will be there for 4 years and it will be a long 4 years either way, but I wanted to make it the least bit miserable as I could.
Exams are hard. I also knew that I did terrible on midterms and finals in undergrad- so U of I exams wouldn't work well for me. Right now we are in GI phys and we have a test every week, thus, very little material actually covered for each exam. This week we have 2 exams, next week we have 2, etc. Some weeks are worse than others, but it is manageable.
As for the people in my class, unless you are here with those people, I don't think you have any right to make comments on why they are no longer with us. There were a few people that decided it wasn't for them, there were a few people that did not make the grades, but I know that everyone will face burnout in veterinary school no matter where you go. MU, and I am sure that every other school, offers "wellness" events to try to keep everyone "happy". The crude reality is that it is hard and you will face that everywhere. I do think that MU might be more accelerated due to more material in a shorter time, but to me it is worth it to get more time in clinics/externships.
I love Columbia! We go hiking, kayaking, camping, and do pretty much everything you can do outside. I am from a small town and I feel very comfortable in Columbia.
Please don't choose a school based on rank, choose it where you feel at ease. Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any more questions about MU/Columbia.

well said and thanks for your honesty!!!!

You don’t need to get personal. I was responding to the statement that the vast majority ignore it. I guess my interpretation of “vast majority” would not be 50%.

It isn't personal.

50% response rate is abysmal. The thing is you're extrapolating a 50% response rate to 50% of veterinarians, which isn't true. They sent out the ranking stuff to a select few veterinarians, faculty, administrators, etc. Basically no veterinarian working outside of a vet school was sent one. So you've wiped out around 80% (probably a bit more) of all veterinarians just by focusing on those in academic institutions only. Then only 50% of those you actually sent it to responded. When you finally get down to a % of all veterinarians who participated...you're looking at maybe 5%. And that is if the veterinarians even filled it out. Where I went to school they gave that job to the office administration. So there you have it.

It isn't personal.

50% response rate is abysmal. The thing is you're extrapolating a 50% response rate to 50% of veterinarians, which isn't true. They sent out the ranking stuff to a select few veterinarians, faculty, administrators, etc. Basically no veterinarian working outside of a vet school was sent one. So you've wiped out around 80% (probably a bit more) of all veterinarians just by focusing on those in academic institutions only. Then only 50% of those you actually sent it to responded. When you finally get down to a % of all veterinarians who participated...you're looking at maybe 5%. And that is if the veterinarians even filled it out. Where I went to school they gave that job to the office administration. So there you have it.
I’m not extrapolating. I simply responded to the incorrect statement “vast majority do not respond and ignore it”

Vast majority is not 50% response from polled individuals. Once again, you are paraphrasing

Also, if you are going to compare schools based on numbers, I would look at NAVLE pass rates.
I have inserted IL and MU percentages for the NAVLE for several years.
Absolutely. I noted in my original response that you will pass the navle and both schools are great.

I’m not extrapolating. I simply responded to the incorrect statement “vast majority do not respond and ignore it”

Vast majority is not 50% response from polled individuals. Once again, you are paraphrasing

Me: The vast majority of veterinarians (indicating every veterinarian in the US) does not care.

You: "No, that's not true look 50% of the maybe 1,000 veterinarians that were asked responded, (which is actually only about 5% of all veterinarians but I'm going to ignore that because it'll make your statement true). I don't even know if it was the vets that responded or some secretary in the administration office...but they responded!!!"

Me: "wow, he really doesn't get it."

Please consider a statistics course. Understanding why surveys are bad "research" and the difference between response rate compared to entire population will be important in this career. You will need the ability to evaluate research and figuring out what is good vs bad research. This here is a good example in that 50% "response rate" is not equal to 50% of every veterinarian in the US, it is more along the lines of 5%, if even that. And a survey is the worst of worst "studies".

I don't quite understand how i received so much disdain for my original post

Clearly stating that you will pass the NAVLE, both schools are good, and there are many things to like about both. I didn't attack mizzou about the loss of their deans (not only the vet dean, but from multiple top level academic positions), the race protests, the budget concerns, etc. I just gave an opinion of where I would go and then was continually misquoted and attacked. I seem to have enraged some people with this post, which led to personal attacks about my intelligence (cognition ability in statistics).
When the attacker clearly misquotes again and again and gives nonfactual evidence about the "the vast majority of respondents ignore it"; and when faced with evidence of the contrary, they then decide to attack a fellow SDN'er, that's when I know my thoughts are not wanted.

As I stated before, I would go to Illinois based on my originally stated reasons, absolutely not just based on ranking.
I would only base a decision for school off ranking if somehow all other factors were equal.

At the end of the day, you'll do great wherever you land!

Hey everyone thank you so much for you input! I am having the most trouble because honestly I am neutral to both in terms of comfort, the price difference is not significant enough to sway me, the ranking difference isn't very significant either and its not like either school is prestigious or anything they are only really known in their respected areas in my opinion. The difference in how exams are and the difference between U of I having exotic animal classes while Mizzou does not and Mizzous 2 + 2 and U of I some clinical's all 4 years are the biggest considering factors for me currently. I am trying to figure out if having an exotic class program is important or if just doing internships would be good enough. I really appreciate all the input its helping me a lot in trying to figure things out. I just feel I am making things overly difficult because I know the goods and bad's of both schools I just cant figure out which school balances out better over all for me. I personally am so indifferent to everything I just wanted a place to become a veterinarian, find a specialty I like and eventually get a job. This makes it sound like I dont care where I go, which in a way maybe true, but I still want to consider everything to ensure I go somewhere that I will be successful and not fail and a place I enjoy since I struggled to make it this far.

Hey everyone thank you so much for you input! I am having the most trouble because honestly I am neutral to both in terms of comfort, the price difference is not significant enough to sway me, the ranking difference isn't very significant either and its not like either school is prestigious or anything they are only really known in their respected areas in my opinion. The difference in how exams are and the difference between U of I having exotic animal classes while Mizzou does not and Mizzous 2 + 2 and U of I some clinical's all 4 years are the biggest considering factors for me currently. I am trying to figure out if having an exotic class program is important or if just doing internships would be good enough. I really appreciate all the input its helping me a lot in trying to figure things out. I just feel I am making things overly difficult because I know the goods and bad's of both schools I just cant figure out which school balances out better over all for me. I personally am so indifferent to everything I just wanted a place to become a veterinarian, find a specialty I like and eventually get a job. This makes it sound like I dont care where I go, which in a way maybe true, but I still want to consider everything to ensure I go somewhere that I will be successful and not fail and a place I enjoy since I struggled to make it this far.
Everything else being equal (heh), if exotics is your passion I would go where you would get the most exposure to that. Yes, internships and externships and whatever else are great, and they can certainly be enough. But as someone who is also passionate about exotics, I would choose the school where I would have clinicians on site whose brains I can pick, a clinic I can hang out in, and exposure to cases throughout my time at the school, as long as there weren't significant downsides to attending that school (like cost). Those relationships and experiences are going to be valuable, and its less money you have to spend on traveling elsewhere as well.

For me it's not so much that I think it will impact your ability to get an internship or residency in the future (which...if you haven't, look at the stats for exotics internships and residencies in the last few years. It's depressing.), but more about being able to participate in an area that I really enjoy while I'm in school. I don't know what the exotics case load or program is like at either school, so this is just...general advice. Having exotics classes vs not...less important in my mind. Even at UTK we only have one core exotics class and two electives, and it's a school that is known for its exotics. There are few schools that give you an extensive amount of exotics exposure in the classroom. You're always going to have to do some (or a lot of) learning on your own.

It looks like that isn't the only thing you are considering though, and there are trade offs for both curricular models. I'll leave people who attend both schools to really comment on the intricacies of 2+2 vs time in clinics during the didactic years. It is hard to predict beforehand which model will be a better fit for you.

I don't quite understand how i received so much disdain for my original post

Clearly stating that you will pass the NAVLE, both schools are good, and there are many things to like about both. I didn't attack mizzou about the loss of their deans (not only the vet dean, but from multiple top level academic positions), the race protests, the budget concerns, etc. I just gave an opinion of where I would go and then was continually misquoted and attacked. I seem to have enraged some people with this post, which led to personal attacks about my intelligence (cognition ability in statistics).
When the attacker clearly misquotes again and again and gives nonfactual evidence about the "the vast majority of respondents ignore it"; and when faced with evidence of the contrary, they then decide to attack a fellow SDN'er, that's when I know my thoughts are not wanted.

As I stated before, I would go to Illinois based on my originally stated reasons, absolutely not just based on ranking.
I would only base a decision for school off ranking if somehow all other factors were equal.

At the end of the day, you'll do great wherever you land!
I don't think anyone was "enraged" and I think you're taking DVMD's posts way too personally. I just think it's important to understand how the rankings are determined, and that they're not an objective or very useful measure of evaluating schools, and I would caution you against recommending looking at ranking when choosing a school. As DMVD explained, that 50% response rate does NOT mean that the majority of vets agree with or had input on the rankings.

If the price difference is greater than $5k and you can't outright pay that difference without loans, go to the cheaper school. Seriously.

Signed,
Vet drowning in debt that will never be paid off (yes, it is a GIANT source of stress).

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think anyone was "enraged" and I think you're taking DVMD's posts way too personally. I just think it's important to understand how the rankings are determined, and that they're not an objective or very useful measure of evaluating schools, and I would caution you against recommending looking at ranking when choosing a school. As DMVD explained, that 50% response rate does NOT mean that the majority of vets agree with or had input on the rankings.

No one said the majority of vets.. putting words in my mouth for about the 14th time.
Where did I say the majority of vets? I am fully aware of how the rankings are assembled and stated the theology multiple times. All I said is to say that the vast majority of responders ignore it is not true. You poll 10 people, 5 respond. That’s not the vast majority of polled individuals ignoring it.

When faced with this information, I was then personally attacked on my cognition or statistics. All dvmd has to say was, “well I misspoke, not vast majority of responders ignore it but what I meant was the vast majority of all the vets don’t have a voice in the rankings b mecause they don’t have an opportunity to respond”. I would agree with that 100%. But that’s not what was said. And when presented with thia incorrect information, I was berated on my academic cognition for statistics.

Also- I know you’re trying to defend dvmd, but seeing as someone reporter her posts to the administrator and they have now been removed- I would say that I didn’t take them personal, they were simply personal attacks and unprofessional.

Hey guys, for anyone on the Mizzou waitlist, just wanted to let you know that I declined my offer of admission as I was accepted into my in-state! I hope I was able to help someone's dream come true!! Love you all!! Have a great time in Missouri:biglove:

No one said the majority of vets.. putting words in my mouth for about the 14th time.
Where did I say the majority of vets? I am fully aware of how the rankings are assembled and stated the theology multiple times. All I said is to say that the vast majority of responders ignore it is not true. You poll 10 people, 5 respond. That’s not the vast majority of polled individuals ignoring it.

When faced with this information, I was then personally attacked on my cognition or statistics. All dvmd has to say was, “well I misspoke, not vast majority of responders ignore it but what I meant was the vast majority of all the vets don’t have a voice in the rankings b mecause they don’t have an opportunity to respond”. I would agree with that 100%. But that’s not what was said. And when presented with thia incorrect information, I was berated on my academic cognition for statistics.

Also- I know you’re trying to defend dvmd, but seeing as someone reporter her posts to the administrator and they have now been removed- I would say that I didn’t take them personal, they were simply personal attacks and unprofessional.

Um, my posts are still present.

You are misquoting (or misunderstanding) me. I never said majority of responders. My original post that you claim is wrong said majority of vets do not care about them.

Last edited:

There's my post. I never stated that the vast majority of responders don't care. It is clear as day I said that the vast majority of peers (aka all the other veterinarians in the US) think the rankings are crap and ignore the rankings. Not that they ignore the survey, again, they don't even receive the survey.

I went to the "#1 vet school in the world" and guess what nobody cares and the rankings are dumb af

edit: my class's NAVLE pass rate actually wasn't great IIRC. a lot of people didn't pass first try.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys, for anyone on the Mizzou waitlist, just wanted to let you know that I declined my offer of admission as I was accepted into my in-state! I hope I was able to help someone's dream come true!! Love you all!! Have a great time in Missouri:biglove:

Congrats on Cornell!! That's an awesome school!

My interpretation was that you were saying the 50% response rate meant a majority of vets care about/have input on the rankings. Sorry if I misunderstood.

And DVMD's posts are still there for me, too.

I've heard of a trick where you flip a coin and place designations. For example U of I is heads and Mizzou is tails. Then if U of I comes up and you feel disappointed go to Mizzou (or vice versa). I think you've had pleantly of excellent advice and whatever you choose is ultimately up to you. Good luck!

I've heard of a trick where you flip a coin and place designations. For example U of I is heads and Mizzou is tails. Then if U of I comes up and you feel disappointed go to Mizzou (or vice versa). I think you've had pleantly of excellent advice and whatever you choose is ultimately up to you. Good luck!
Basically how I make all decisions. Or tell a friend to pick for me. And then it’s basically the same as the coin flip

I don't get what y'all are getting all bent outta shape about.

If this kid wants to spend more on the school with the BETTER RANKING, let them.

I mean... it's not our money, and when they start paying those loans back, we won't have anything to do with it.

I'm gonna go make a snack plate and settle in to watch some TV - it's time better spent vs. arguing with someone that wants to go into extra debt...?

@Finlays&Oreos go make yourself a snack plate. (And pick the cheaper school.)

Reactions: 4 users
I don't get what y'all are getting all bent outta shape about.

If this kid wants to spend more on the school with the BETTER RANKING, let them.

I mean... it's not our money, and when they start paying those loans back, we won't have anything to do with it.

I'm gonna go make a snack plate and settle in to watch some TV - it's time better spent vs. arguing with someone that wants to go into extra debt...?

@Finlays&Oreos go make yourself a snack plate. (And pick the cheaper school.)
Not to belabor the point, but VetRunner is already in vet school, so my gripe was more about them giving other people not-so-great advice. They've recommended choosing highly ranked schools in a couple other threads as well. Of course if people want to take that advice that's their prerogative, but I'm not just going to sit back and not say anything about it. :shrug:

Not to belabor the point, but VetRunner is already in vet school, so my gripe was more about them giving other people not-so-great advice. They've recommended choosing highly ranked schools in a couple other threads as well. Of course if people want to take that advice that's their prerogative, but I'm not just going to sit back and not say anything about it. :shrug:

Ah.

Well, I assume they go to Davis then? With all this talk about ranks and all. If not, they should have declined their acceptance and tried again the next year. Or was that yet another ridiculous person?

I think I recall hoping it was an April Fool’s joke.

Ah.

Well, I assume they go to Davis then? With all this talk about ranks and all. If not, they should have declined their acceptance and tried again the next year. Or was that yet another ridiculous person?

I think I recall hoping it was an April Fool’s joke.
Lol no
They go to UW-M iirc?

Aside from the fact I disagree from the rankings statement. I want to give a different perspective from the bolded. I think this is very subjective from owner to owner. I've worked at a practice that has hired many CSU grads and I can say at this point in time the owners are disappointed with the quality of graduates out of CSU (who's ranked higher than both these choices if we are going to take that into consideration). They want graduates from other schools hoping they can find the veterinarians they need. This isn't to say CSU is a bad school as we have had some awesome people from there. The point I'm trying to make to bring this all back into perspective is literally no matter what school you come from the answer to if a practice is going to hire you should be based on how you present yourself, your committment, knowledge, and experiences. We all know you get out of school what you put into it. So find those opportunities during your clinical year(s) in Mizzou's case and you can be a way better vet than someone from any vet school no matter the name. I also personally feel that if an owner gives an applicant more respect for a dvm achieved from say Cornell vs NC because of the name then I wouldn't want to work for them to begin with because they failed to take into account the whole person and recognize my experiences that in this hypothetical scenario make me better than that Cornell applicant.

I'm also not saying that there aren't owners out there that don't do what you say, but I think it's important to realize both sides of the situation.

@Finlays&Oreos with all that said, at Mizzou since you have the extra clinic time it could be spent doing some amazing internships in your area of focus and the like that you wouldn't get at U of I (not saying I think you wouldn't get a great education either way, just some more food for thought)

ETA: Missed this part of your thing. "My advice is go to the higher school if all things are equal." Still don't agree as I think they should go to wherever they think they'll get the best education for them but I see your perspective.
The owner of the clinic I work at rarely hires grads from IL or WI because they do not have enough exposure to surgery just saying. Can't base it on rank in my opinion.