Hi! I actually am a first year that had the same problem. I had always known that I was going to go to U of I vet school if I got in because all my vets went there etc. That was until I went to Columbia for my MU interview. I felt at home when I went to MU. I felt they wanted to know about me and cared about why I was there and I didn't get that same feeling about U of I. I had a co-worker that choose U of I and I choose MU- its all based on personal feelings rather than who is ranked higher. I knew as soon as I left MU that I was going there if I got in because they made me feel at ease. I think you should choose your school on how you felt. You will be there for 4 years and it will be a long 4 years either way, but I wanted to make it the least bit miserable as I could.
Exams are hard. I also knew that I did terrible on midterms and finals in undergrad- so U of I exams wouldn't work well for me. Right now we are in GI phys and we have a test every week, thus, very little material actually covered for each exam. This week we have 2 exams, next week we have 2, etc. Some weeks are worse than others, but it is manageable.
As for the people in my class, unless you are here with those people, I don't think you have any right to make comments on why they are no longer with us. There were a few people that decided it wasn't for them, there were a few people that did not make the grades, but I know that everyone will face burnout in veterinary school no matter where you go. MU, and I am sure that every other school, offers "wellness" events to try to keep everyone "happy". The crude reality is that it is hard and you will face that everywhere. I do think that MU might be more accelerated due to more material in a shorter time, but to me it is worth it to get more time in clinics/externships.
I love Columbia! We go hiking, kayaking, camping, and do pretty much everything you can do outside. I am from a small town and I feel very comfortable in Columbia.
Please don't choose a school based on rank, choose it where you feel at ease. Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any more questions about MU/Columbia.