Mizzou C/O 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a white coat ceremony prior to the start of the first year or is it before you start clinics?
The white coat ceremony is in October of your third year, before you start clinics. In my opinion this is a perfect time to do it, because after 2+ years of working your butt off slogging through the classroom, I really felt like it held more meaning for me than if I would have gotten it at the beginning of school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they will send out an email saying the class is full? Or you just have to assume after May 1st you’re not accepted if you don’t hear anything?

Does anyone know if they will send out an email saying the class is full? Or you just have to assume after May 1st you’re not accepted if you don’t hear anything?
I can't remember if they specifically sent out an email to everyone (though Kathy does keep people up to date on request). However, even if the class is "full," there can still be movement, sometimes all the way until school starts in August.

So, if you do get a "class is full" email, then yes, your chances of getting off the waitlist is definitely lower. However, not impossible, as I have seen people be pulled from the waitlist from a full class before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with Large Animal/Equine areas of interest care to share their opinions on Mizzou's programs?

Anyone with Large Animal/Equine areas of interest care to share their opinions on Mizzou's programs?
Not LA/Equine, but I have plenty of classmates who are and are happy with their experience. We have a very active Bovine and Equine club, involvement with lots of fun wetlabs, conferences, research, etc. In the summer after your second year, you are technically a "third year," so you can go do externships at LA/Equine clinics if that's what you want. I had one friend externing at an equine hospital for 4 weeks, another went to CA at a large dairy and did a biljillion ultrasounds on cows all day every day.

During clinics, you get 6 weeks of equine core (surgery, ambo/field service, medicine), 6 weeks of food animal core (medicine/surgery, ambo, regulatory/public heath), and 2 weeks of therio. Then you can have a 6 week elective in FA production if you want, or up to 6 weeks electives in EFAST (external/off campus food animal rotation), or you can take additional electives in the equine hospital in surgery/medicine. On top of that, you have 16 weeks of off-time that you can fill as you would like, including going to off-campus FA/equine sites.

I personally didn't want to do FA/Equine, so I took as little as possible, and instead took an insane amount of SA/ECC electives. But if you are interested? There are ton of opportunities to be found!

Reactions: 1 user
Not LA/Equine, but I have plenty of classmates who are and are happy with their experience. We have a very active Bovine and Equine club, involvement with lots of fun wetlabs, conferences, research, etc. In the summer after your second year, you are technically a "third year," so you can go do externships at LA/Equine clinics if that's what you want. I had one friend externing at an equine hospital for 4 weeks, another went to CA at a large dairy and did a biljillion ultrasounds on cows all day every day.

During clinics, you get 6 weeks of equine core (surgery, ambo/field service, medicine), 6 weeks of food animal core (medicine/surgery, ambo, regulatory/public heath), and 2 weeks of therio. Then you can have a 6 week elective in FA production if you want, or up to 6 weeks electives in EFAST (external/off campus food animal rotation), or you can take additional electives in the equine hospital in surgery/medicine. On top of that, you have 16 weeks of off-time that you can fill as you would like, including going to off-campus FA/equine sites.

I personally didn't want to do FA/Equine, so I took as little as possible, and instead took an insane amount of SA/ECC electives. But if you are interested? There are ton of opportunities to be found!
Thank you!!!! Your info is always extremely helpful! =)

IS Check your emails!! I just got my acceptance letter! So excited to be a Tiger!

Reactions: 1 users
I just received my acceptance email! After being placed on the waitlist last year I can’t express how excited I am!

Reactions: 2 users
After my strongest interview out of three and being accepted to 3 programs and waitlisted at another I received my rejection email today. Really bummed as my younger sister is starting undergrad at the same time, and I really felt connected to the program and staff there. I find it odd that after feeling like that, I end up not even waitlisted. Sad on missing out on a great program, but happy to still be in the vet field!

After my strongest interview out of three and being accepted to 3 programs and waitlisted at another I received my rejection email today. Really bummed as my younger sister is starting undergrad at the same time, and I really felt connected to the program and staff there. I find it odd that after feeling like that, I end up not even waitlisted. Sad on missing out on a great program, but happy to still be in the vet field!

I feel you. I am accepted to two OOS schools and waitlisted at another. I am disappointed to not be going to MIZZOU, but I am still going to be a vet. Where are you headed?

I feel you. I am accepted to two OOS schools and waitlisted at another. I am disappointed to not be going to MIZZOU, but I am still going to be a vet. Where are you headed?
I’m 90% sure Kansas State, my runner up is Oklahoma State. Congrats to you regardless!

I just sent in my acceptance form to Mizzou! I'm an OOS (Ark) applicant. Can't wait to meet you all! Go tigers

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am between going to school here or U of I. I can get in-state for both so tuition isn't an issue. How do people like the curriculum structure at Mizzou? My biggest fear is not getting enough hands on experience doing surgeries and other practical clinical skills. Do you feel prepared for the real world? Also how are the exam's like? how bad are the exams? How is life living in Columbia? I am interested in exotic medicine so does this school allow me to get experience with that? Also how do you feel the school exposes you to the different area you can specialize in?

So I am between going to school here or U of I. I can get in-state for both so tuition isn't an issue. How do people like the curriculum structure at Mizzou? My biggest fear is not getting enough hands on experience doing surgeries and other practical clinical skills. Do you feel prepared for the real world? Also how are the exam's like? how bad are the exams? How is life living in Columbia? I am interested in exotic medicine so does this school allow me to get experience with that? Also how do you feel the school exposes you to the different area you can specialize in?
Hey there! So my SO was in your position and picked Mizzou over his IS U of I since it would actually be a few thousand cheaper if he went with Mizzou. And while he isn't able to directly to compare the two, he is happy with his decision to go to Mizzou.

As far as hands-on, if you look, you will find A TON of opportunities. After your second year you can do externships during the summer. I did 40+ surgeries that summer alone, and will soon graduate with 100+ surgeries under my belt (yes, I actively searched for these opportunities, but I had zero issues finding them!). Opportunities can be found wherever you go.

Since we have an extra year of clinics, I personally feel more prepared than I would have otherwise, though obviously again I think it would be hard to compare if I didn't go through just one year.

The exams are bad everywhere, frankly. You would be trading in constant exams with less material (at Mizzou) for fewer exams with a lot more material (at U of I). Honestly, exams suck regardless of where you go.

Living in CoMo is great! It has lots of parks and trails and yummy restaurants and super affordable and safe living.

We don't see many exotics, however, I have several classmates interested in exotics who are doing just fine. In the classroom, there is ZEW club, raptor rehab club (you can be involved with treatments first year and be the primary "doctor" late second/third year, and there is the famous summer Africa trip. You also have 10 weeks of electives and 16 weeks of off time during clinics where you can spend as much time with exotics as you would like!

With all things being equal, Illinois is higher ranked. These rankings are done by peer reviews, thus leading to more respect in the field. People can say it’s all subjective, but the rankings come from peer reviews, and Illinois is higher ranked, and more respect for your dvm degree, leads to possibly greater job prospects. Who would you hire as a owner of an exotic practice, a Cornell graduate or a LMU graduate? And that’s not a shot at LMU, that’s just the reality of it. Applicants come in, either after vet school or after their first job and the owner often doesn’t know you- so the name on the degree matters. You’ll get a dvm from either and pass the navle, but with cost being the same I would go to the highest ranked school I could, as job hunting would be easiest.

Also- missouri’s 2+2 isnt for everyone. Getting much shorter breaks is rough and leaves little time for social life and relaxation. This year’s class already lost 6 people due to failing out, burn out ( I have a friend who matriculated).
There are a lot of absolutely good things about mizzou, but to give you a well rounded response, I can’t sugar coat some of the negatives. Urbana-champaign is 300k people. Columbia is 100k. If you have reservations about mizzou, than you definitely should go to Illinois. Hope this doesn’t offend anyone, both schools are good! Just simply want to give a well rounded response and not sugar coat anything. I feel the only people who would say go to mizzou in this specific situation would be mizzou alumni, and since I am a first year at Madison, who interviewed at both Illinois and mizzou, I feel I can give you good advice to go to Illinois.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I don’t post on here much, but I do read consistently!

I am interested in exotic medicine so does this school allow me to get experience with that?

Update-
I just texted my friend and she said very little exotic exposure at missouri. Hope this helps!

How was the orientation week prior to courses? Beneficial in any way besides meeting classmates?

With all things being equal, Illinois is higher ranked. These rankings are done by peer reviews, thus leading to more respect in the field. People can say it’s all subjective, but the rankings come from peer reviews, and Illinois is higher ranked, and more respect for your dvm degree, leads to possibly greater job prospects. Who would you hire as a owner of an exotic practice, a Cornell graduate or a LMU graduate? And that’s not a shot at LMU, that’s just the reality of it. Applicants come in, either after vet school or after their first job and the owner often doesn’t know you- so the name on the degree matters. You’ll get a dvm from either and pass the navle, but with cost being the same I would go to the highest ranked school I could, as job hunting would be easiest.
Straight from the US News website "All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline." In other words, these peer reviews you refer to are just based on the school faculty ranking each other, they're not done by vets that are looking to hire new grads. Maybe some vets judge applicants based on where they went to school, but IMO if someone is going to make assumptions about me just based on how my school is ranked rather than looking at my experiences, letters of recommendation, and interview, that's probably not someone I want to work for anyway.

Reactions: 7 users
Straight from the US News website "All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline." In other words, these peer reviews you refer to are just based on the school faculty ranking each other, they're not done by vets that are looking to hire new grads. Maybe some vets judge applicants based on where they went to school, but IMO if someone is going to make assumptions about me just based on how my school is ranked rather than looking at my experiences, letters of recommendation, and interview, that's probably not someone I want to work for anyway.

But you’re assuming that the other applicants don’t have equal experiences and quality LOR’s. I said all things being equal, go to the higher ranked. That is undoubtably the correct choice.

Also- the peer reviews are from faculty and deans who were/ and or are currently still practicing in the field either from private practice or hospital settings. These peer reviews come from current practicioners or those who were in the field very recently. These undoubtedly have made/ current make decisions on hiring.

At the end of the day there may be situations where you will apply to work for veterinarians, hospitals, private groups, etc., who, like I said have very little exposure to you and the degree name matters. It’s your decision to only apply to vets who know you, but that’s not reality of the employment field. If you peruse the veterinary forums and not pre vet, you will find that quality vet positions are extremely competitive and most applicants have good LOR’s and experiences, that’s just the nature of quality desirable positions. So to put yourself in a worse off position by not going to the best school you can (again with all things like cost being equal)- does not make sense. I had an eye opening experience when one of the recruiters talked about the snowflake fallacy where many millenials believe they are special and need to be treated as such in employment. It won’t occur and thinking it will is detrimental to your employment outlook. Thousands of vets graduate every year.

Strengthen your resume with the school you go to, if all things are equal. This doesn’t even include the schools impact on residency and internship placement. Upenn graduates match at a significant higher rate than Ross graduates do. This doesn’t mean people at Ross can’t match (I worked under an amazing Ross graduate Oncologist), but just that it is statistically proven to be more difficult the lower ranked your program is.

My advice is go to the higher school if all things are equal.

People can say it’s all subjective, but the rankings come from peer reviews, and Illinois is higher ranked, and more respect for your dvm degree, leads to possibly greater job prospects. Who would you hire as a owner of an exotic practice, a Cornell graduate or a LMU graduate? And that’s not a shot at LMU, that’s just the reality of it. Applicants come in, either after vet school or after their first job and the owner often doesn’t know you- so the name on the degree matters.

Aside from the fact I disagree from the rankings statement. I want to give a different perspective from the bolded. I think this is very subjective from owner to owner. I've worked at a practice that has hired many CSU grads and I can say at this point in time the owners are disappointed with the quality of graduates out of CSU (who's ranked higher than both these choices if we are going to take that into consideration). They want graduates from other schools hoping they can find the veterinarians they need. This isn't to say CSU is a bad school as we have had some awesome people from there. The point I'm trying to make to bring this all back into perspective is literally no matter what school you come from the answer to if a practice is going to hire you should be based on how you present yourself, your committment, knowledge, and experiences. We all know you get out of school what you put into it. So find those opportunities during your clinical year(s) in Mizzou's case and you can be a way better vet than someone from any vet school no matter the name. I also personally feel that if an owner gives an applicant more respect for a dvm achieved from say Cornell vs NC because of the name then I wouldn't want to work for them to begin with because they failed to take into account the whole person and recognize my experiences that in this hypothetical scenario make me better than that Cornell applicant.

I'm also not saying that there aren't owners out there that don't do what you say, but I think it's important to realize both sides of the situation.

@Finlays&Oreos with all that said, at Mizzou since you have the extra clinic time it could be spent doing some amazing internships in your area of focus and the like that you wouldn't get at U of I (not saying I think you wouldn't get a great education either way, just some more food for thought)

ETA: Missed this part of your thing. "My advice is go to the higher school if all things are equal." Still don't agree as I think they should go to wherever they think they'll get the best education for them but I see your perspective.

ETA: Missed this part of your thing. "My advice is go to the higher school if all things are equal."

Yes, and I also said it could “possibly lead to better jobs” and that “great vets come from every school, (ie- my Ross example)

If you reread my posts I think you’ll see that we’re on the same page on everything you just said.

Quality vet positions are extremely competitive and most applicants have good LOR’s and experiences, that’s just the nature of quality desirable positions. I had an eye opening experience when one of the recruiters talked about the snowflake fallacy where many millenials believe they are special and need to be treated as such in employment. It won’t occur and thinking it will is detrimental to your employment outlook. Thousands of vets graduate every year.
I guess it depends on your definition of quality and desirable. I do find talks that categorize people on age to be fascinating. Considering how often people try and categorize me (and people in general) by age. Most of the people I relate most to are at least 10 years older than me if not even more than 30 years in age gap. I would hope (obviously not the case, but...) that most students who have gotten to employment seeking for this profession have realized there is no special treatment and that includes not being treated special because you graduated Cornell vs NC. I also feel that nothing can ever really truly be all equal considering, for example, if you and I were interviewing for the same job perhaps the owner liked my personality more than yours for whatever reason (maybe I connect with clients better) but I lacked in experience compared to you. That owner, although your resumae is impressive, they value my client connection more and would choose me over you. I don't know, I just have never worked for a vet that valued the school of the DVM over another to the point of making an offer to one applicant over another. Even in the current practice though disappointed with CSU people they have gotten recently they still consider all applicants equally with name having no barring basing decisions on the interview and how personalities flow is the deciding factor than a name tacked on the paper. (In fact our newest hire was from CSU)
ETA: Saw your last post. I feel like we are but slightly not when you use words such as "undoubtly correct" is all.

Last edited:
At the end of the day there may be situations where you will apply to work for veterinarians, hospitals, private groups, etc., who, like I said have very little exposure to you and the degree name matters. It’s your decision to only apply to vets who know you, but that’s not reality of the employment field. If you peruse the veterinary forums and not pre vet, you will find that quality vet positions are extremely competitive and most applicants have good LOR’s and experiences, that’s just the nature of quality desirable positions. So to put yourself in a worse off position by not going to the best school you can (again with all things like cost being equal)- does not make sense. I had an eye opening experience when one of the recruiters talked about the snowflake fallacy where many millenials believe they are special and need to be treated as such in employment. It won’t occur and thinking it will is detrimental to your employment outlook. Thousands of vets graduate every year.

Strengthen your resume with the school you go to, if all things are equal. This doesn’t even include the schools impact on residency and internship placement. Upenn graduates match at a significant higher rate than Ross graduates do. This doesn’t mean people at Ross can’t match (I worked under an amazing Ross graduate Oncologist), but just that it is statistically proven to be more difficult the lower ranked your program is.

My advice is go to the higher school if all things are equal.
Of course I know that prospective employers most likely won't know you well (although keep in mind many people specifically choose externships during clinics at practices that they're interested in working at, so the vets can get to know you and vice versa during that time period). But I would hope that if a hiring decision were to come down to two candidates with very similar experiences and LORs, they would base their decision off of things like personality and behavior during an interview rather than just say "nope, she went to Ross/Midwestern/wherever, we're going to go with the UC Davis grad because that's the #1 school."

Even for internships and residencies, most people I've heard from (current interns and residents, as well as clinicians who select intern and residents) say that where you went to school plays a very minimal role, if any. Every school produces both good and not-so-good graduates, regardless of ranking.

I would encourage @Finlays&Oreos to consider cost, curriculum style, and location much more than ranking.

Saw your last post. I feel like we are but slightly not when you use words such as "indoubtly correct" is all.

Like I said though, all things being equal- you go the higher school. That is undoubtedly correct. Now like I mentioned, it is only if all things are equal. I feel like you’re trying to say that I am saying just go to the higher ranked school- which I’m not. I’m simply responding to someone asking if all things are equal and with all things equal, by their own definition- then yes- you go to the higher ranked school. Choosing a lower ranked school when everything else is equal makes no sense.

Again- of course you want to take into consideration other factors, but IF everything is equal, you go to the higher ranked school. I don’t understand where we are not exactly on the same page with our advice.

Like I said though, all things being equal- you go the higher school. That is undoubtedly correct. Now like I mentioned, it is only if all things are equal. I feel like you’re trying to say that I am saying just go to the higher ranked school- which I’m not. I’m simply responding to someone asking if all things are equal and with all things equal, by their own definition- then yes- you go to the higher ranked school. Choosing a lower ranked school when everything else is equal makes no sense.

Again- of course you want to take into consideration other factors, but IF everything is equal, you go to the higher ranked school. I don’t understand where we are not exactly on the same page with our advice.

It isn't "undoubtedly correct"... it is your opinion. Don't treat it as more than that.

Reactions: 6 users
Of course I know that prospective employers most likely won't know you well (although keep in mind many people specifically choose externships during clinics at practices that they're interested in working at, so the vets can get to know you and vice versa during that time period).

Please keep in mind that I already said not just those currently looking for jobs, but those switching jobs as well MAY have benefit from a higher ranked school. As we all know, you will rarely stay at your first practice or position for your entire career. So to bank on externships for your career launching pad and solidifying experience is both short sighted and incredibly harmful when you do need to make a career move. Please keep in mind I feel strongly about everything you are saying and I feel you are paraphrasing my context and not realizing that I have covered and agree with what you have already stated.

All things equal is the key to this all. Don’t assume it’s not all equal, because assuming all things are equal I would go where? Answer is the higher ranked school.

This doesn’t take into account her exotic exposure desire, which Illinois may have a higher case load of- as mizzou’s own students admit to it being a weakness of the program.

Once again- both schools are great, but with everything being equal except rank, I would choose by rank.

Hope this helps!

As a current vet, where you went to school doesn't matter. Hell, I doubt many hiring vets even know what the current rankings even are for vet schools. We've got 389532 other things to be keeping track of, that sure isn't one of them.

What will matter is your ability to communicate and learn quickly. Know what to do in a situation or at least where to find the answer.

Reactions: 6 users
It isn't "undoubtedly correct"... it is your opinion. Don't treat it as more than that.

Please give me a situation in which every factor except rank is equal and when you choose the worse ranked program? Please don’t give factors or examples that make one program unequal to the other. Again- like I said and stressed and you even quoted.. “this is only if everything else is equal”

Please give me a situation in which every factor except rank is equal and when you choose the worse ranked program? Please don’t give factors or examples that make one program unequal to the other. Again- like I said and stressed and you even quoted.. “this is only if everything else is equal”

I don't give a rat's ass if "everything is equal"... it still doesn't change that YOU feel YOU would pick the higher ranked school. That is great, for you. You have an opinion, stick with it for yourself.

The rest of the veterinary community will continue to roll their eyes at the rankings as we all know they are about as important as tits on a bull.

Reactions: 4 users
As a current vet, where you went to school doesn't matter. Hell, I doubt many hiring vets even know what the current rankings even are for vet schools. We've got 389532 other things to be keeping track of, that sure isn't one of them.

What will matter is your ability to communicate and learn quickly. Know what to do in a situation or at least where to find the answer.

I agree 100% with this.

That’s why I clearly stated, it may possibly help in the future. Possibly is not a state of absolution. But again, and only if all things are equal.. (which I stated is not the case, but for the case of argument let’s say it is in the applicants eyes.) then you go to the higher ranked school. Even if you gain nothing ever from going to the higher ranked school, you certainly aren’t hurt by it.

I don't give a rat's ass if "everything is equal"... it still doesn't change that YOU feel YOU would pick the higher ranked school. That is great, for you. You have an opinion, stick with it for yourself.

The rest of the veterinary community will continue to roll their eyes at the rankings as we all know they are about as important as tits on a bull.

I’m not saying you care at all about my advice, I was just pointing out the fallacy in your argument and the misquotes on my context- as you and I have the same opinion on these matters. All I was simply doing is saying that in a circumstance where somehow everything was equal except ranking, then the factor for admittance would certainly be ranking, as it is the only unequal factor in the equation.
Please don’t go off on a tirade about how it’s not perfectly equal, because I have stated numerously that I agree, but for the sake of the situation from the applicants eyes, if they truly view all else as equal- and the only remaining factor is ranking, then of course you go to the higher ranked program.

I agree 100% with this.

That’s why I clearly stated, it may possibly help in the future. Possibly is not a state of absolution. But again, and only if all things are equal.. (which I stated is not the case, but for the case of argument let’s say it is in the applicants eyes.) then you go to the higher ranked school. Even if you gain nothing ever from going to the higher ranked school, you certainly aren’t hurt by it.

No, you pick the school that you felt most comfortable with if all else is equal. Then you put in effort to get the experiences you want and to make the connections you need. You don't have to attend the more exotics focused school to get exotics experience. Sign up for that experience during summers and during your externships. It really isn't that difficult. Rank means jack nada.

I’m not saying you care at all about my advice, I was just pointing out the fallacy in your argument and the misquotes on my context- as you and I have the same opinion on these matters. All I was simply doing is saying that in a circumstance where somehow everything was equal except ranking, then the factor for admittance would certainly be ranking, as it is the only unequal factor in the equation.
Please don’t go off on a tirade about how it’s not perfectly equal, because I have stated numerously that I agree, but for the sake of the situation from the applicants eyes, if they truly view all else as equal- and the only remaining factor is ranking, then of course you go to the higher ranked program.

Where do I go off on a tirade about it not being equal???? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Oh, right, I didn't.

And we have exactly opposite opinions. It is like you aren't actually reading my posts.

No, you pick the school that you felt most comfortable with if all else is equal. Then you put in effort to get the experiences you want and to make the connections you need. You don't have to attend the more exotics focused school to get exotics experience. Sign up for that experience during summers and during your externships. It really isn't that difficult. Rank means jack nada.

Again, you’re changing the situation and ignoring that I said “ Only if everything else is truly equal in the eyes of the applicant...” I again agree with your statement if any other factor varys in the applicants eyes, even in the slightest.

Again, you’re changing the situation and ignoring that I said “ Only if everything else is truly equal in the eyes of the applicant...” I again agree with your statement if any other factor varys in the applicants eyes, even in the slightest.

Nope I got the equal part. It is even in the post you quoted.

In what universe are all schools exactly equal except for rank? There are lots of things that make schools different and I don't understand this entirely arbitrary thought exercise which is apparently the only situation you can think of in which pursuing a highly ranked school is the "correct" choice over pursuing a school that is a good fit based on all of the other factors that distinguish one school from another.

Honestly, the only situations I can think of where ranking may be more important to an applicant would be someone who is highly interested in veterinary research within a particular institution, and even then that's a hugely variable factor based on what someone wants to study and their career goals.

Nope I got the equal part. It is even in the post you quoted.
Then how can you say no?
They need to go to the school they feel more comfortable at?
When their comfort factor is equal?

You said you got that I stated all other factors are equal, but then you change a factor? I’m confused on your logic..

All I was simply doing is saying that in a circumstance where somehow everything was equal except ranking, then the factor for admittance would certainly be ranking, as it is the only unequal factor in the equation.
But it's a completely imaginary, unrealistic scenario for the ONLY difference between two schools to be their ranking, and that's not the case here for F&O. For instance, Ashgirl already pointed out that Mizzou is several thousand cheaper than Illinois. (About $14k over the course of 4 years if the VIN map is correct)

If you had the option between two people to date and they were equal in all respects except one of them was evil, you would obviously date the non-evil one, right? :thinking:

Reactions: 2 users
In what universe are all schools exactly equal except for rank? There are lots of things that make schools different and I don't understand this entirely arbitrary thought exercise which is apparently the only situation you can think of in which pursuing a highly ranked school is the "correct" choice over pursuing a school that is a good fit based on all of the other factors that distinguish one school from another.

Honestly, the only situations I can think of where ranking may be more important to an applicant would be someone who is highly interested in veterinary research within a particular institution, and even then that's a hugely variable factor based on what someone wants to study and their career goals.

I agree 100% and stated that only if every other factor is equal. If they are not, then rank and it’s “possible” benefits, are irrelevant.

But it's a completely imaginary, unrealistic scenario for the ONLY difference between two schools to be their ranking, and that's not the case here for F&O. For instance, Ashgirl already pointed out that Mizzou is several thousand cheaper than Illinois. (About $14k over the course of 4 years if the VIN map is correct)

Again- which is why I said only if everything else is equal.

Then how can you say no?
They need to go to the school they feel more comfortable at?
When their comfort factor is equal?

You said you got that I stated all other factors are equal, but then you change a factor? I’m confused on your logic..

You're arguing that people live in perfect bubbles now. Come on, be reasonable.

And hold on, one more time for the group, vet school ranking means nothing to the veterinary community.

Many of these arguments are disqualifying the main factor of the dynamic in my situation given.

We know the sky is not red, but let’s say it is.
If the sky is red, would people ask why is the sky red, like they currently ask why is the sky blue?

The responses seem to be- well the sky’s not red.

I already said this..

If you had the option between two people to date and they were equal in all respects except one of them was evil, you would obviously date the non-evil one, right? :thinking:

If you had two wonderful unicorns and everything about them was 100% equal, would you pick the one on the right or the left?