Most Meaningful Activities: I have 4 and I need to choose 3.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisischelsea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have four different activities that I believe are the most meaningful
1) My technician job at school (I learnt a lot of collaboration skills, intrapersonal skills, communications skills. I also have spent 3 years at this job.)

2) Study abroad + Shadowing in France (I pinpointed exactly why I want to be a doctor based on the leadership a doctor needs among many other factors. In addition, I noticed that the hopeful attitude of a doctor really helps with recovery and increased trust with patients. I also improved my French language comprehension and speaking skills.)

3) My clinic assistant job - basically a nurse + secretary combined. (I learnt communication skills as I spoke to patients, hospital staff, and the doctor. This experience also shows my compassion and patience for others.)

4) Psychology Research (I have spent 1 year gather materials for my psychology research project. I also received a research grant/reward for it.)

In my personal statement, I barely discuss my France study-abroad trip but the other three are not mentioned at all. The first three are my current choices for "most-meaningful."

But I feel like research may be important to med schools? Do you think I should change once of my top three choices and talk about my research?

Thanks for reading. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't pick based on what you think is important to others or what may seem the best. That is a sure fire way to reduce your app's strength. Literally, pick the 3 MOST MEANINGFUL experiences TO YOU.

Personally, when I had difficulty deciding between activities, I went with the one that was the most meaningful to me in a way that's not obvious to med schools.

If your research is meaningful because...med schools like research, don't choose that. 1. your essay will be boring, because it's really not Most Meaningful to you. 2. you'll be missing a chance to elaborate on an activity that they may not ascribe as much importance to, but that you clearly think has more value than it appears on the face of it. So let the research speak for itself - if med schools really like it, they'll still like it without the extra essay, or they'll ask you about it somewhere else - and give a voice to something they may not focus on otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't pick based on what you think is important to others or what may seem the best. That is a sure fire way to reduce your app's strength. Literally, pick the 3 MOST MEANINGFUL experiences TO YOU.

agreed / the best ones you know you can sell/articulate.

Hey everyone! I have four different activities that I believe are the most meaningful
1) My technician job at school (I learnt a lot of collaboration skills, intrapersonal skills, communications skills. I also have spent 3 years at this job.)

2) Study abroad + Shadowing in France (I pinpointed exactly why I want to be a doctor based on the leadership a doctor needs among many other factors. In addition, I noticed that the hopeful attitude of a doctor really helps with recovery and increased trust with patients. I also improved my French language comprehension and speaking skills.)

3) My clinic assistant job - basically a nurse + secretary combined. (I learnt communication skills as I spoke to patients, hospital staff, and the doctor. This experience also shows my compassion and patience for others.)

4) Psychology Research (I have spent 1 year gather materials for my psychology research project. I also received a research grant/reward for it.)

In my personal statement, I barely discuss my France study-abroad trip but the other three are not mentioned at all. The first three are my current choices for "most-meaningful."

But I feel like research may be important to med schools? Do you think I should change once of my top three choices and talk about my research?

Thanks for reading. :)

Do not claim to have been a nurse if you weren't a nurse... an RN or LPN. You may have been a medical assistant, and that is valuable experience. But never claim to have worked beyond your scope.

It sounds like you addressed France in the statement, so why repeat it in your most meaningful activities? Choose the other 3 and you will have worked all 4 into your app.

Hi all, thanks for all the comments! I've decided to go with my original top three because they ARE my most meaningful experiences. Thank you all for your insightful comments.