Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, as we all are starting to hear back about admissions and financial aid packages, for those who pretty much only applied for schools with huge price tags, how are people navigating questions of whether to defer for a year and work + prepare for bigger scholarships that they maybe only recently found out about versus committing to the cost and just spending time preparing to compete for a higher paying job post graduation? Added to that the caveat that a lot of one year positions that I, at least, could think of that are tangentially related to public health are more entry level so it's not certain how much I'd be able to save + very uncertain of earning much extra from scholarships just due to high volume of competition? Or are people considering the third option of waiting a cycle to apply for more cost effective programs?
I'm stressing out a bit over this, and I know each person will arrive at a different answer, but just hoping for guidance for what people are considering along the way 🙂
Thank you to everyone for the support and reassurance. I don’t believe there is no job for an MPH graduate and I’m incredibly passionate about the field, which is why I’m willing to take out loans for it.
I guess I just don’t have as strong of a support system as some people, and receive very conflicting advice sometimes. I was unsure if I should wait a year to save up, even though I’m eager to start grad school. I’m just not sure that one year would really make that much of a difference financially.
I'm currently in my 2nd gap year after undergrad (only 1 of them was planned), and I can tell you that I go back and forth on whether or not I'm happy about it. After spending a year getting rejected from a bunch of med schools, I've been living with my parents while working in order to save money. However, it's taken a bit of a toll on my mental health. I'm really counting the days (months) until I move away. There's something to be said for getting away as soon as possible. However, I am saving up a fair amount of money, and even though I'll need to take out some loans, it'll be significantly less than most people. It feels like I'm mortgaging my present to make my future better, if that makes any sense. Just my $0.02.
Have y'all received any kind of financial info from Emory yet other than that award app or the scholarships they sent out in late Feb? At this point, they are the only school that hasn't given me any kind of financial package and it looks like those awards won't be announced until late March
Not only have I not heard any other financial aid info, I haven't heard back about the travel grant for Visit Emory, and I haven't heard back about staying with a current student. I think I might call by the end of the week if I still haven't heard.
To people who attended/ are attending the Emory Epidemiology webinar going on March 5, 12 PM EST; the video will be recorded, but could you guys post critical information from the chats? I don't think that will be given in the link they provide, but important questions may be answered the chats. Thank you!
I'd also appreciate someone doing this for BSHE if at all possible.




