MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also in between NYU and Emory... I didn't get to go to admitted students day for NYU, so kind of taking a shot in the dark considering it... But they offered me financial aid and Emory didn't. Location is great, but program is newer. That's all I can offer haha.
How did you find out financial aid/scholarship for NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard through the grapevine that graduate students can get in-state tuition at UNC for their second year. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

I've heard through the grapevine that graduate students can get in-state tuition at UNC for their second year. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Can confirm! You have to be intentional about it though. I would start by speaking to Student Affairs about the steps you have to take to establish residency (file taxes in NC for 2019, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can confirm! You have to be intentional about it though. I would start by speaking to Student Affairs about the steps you have to take to establish residency (file taxes in NC for 2019, etc.).
Awesome, thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
I went to the GW admitted student event over the weekend, here are some of my thoughts.

Non-academic:
- I received a generous travel grant which covered my stay at a hotel for two nights near the school. The neighborhood is really great with lots to offer (restaurants, coffee shops, Trader Joe's). It was a 15-20 minute walk to the National Monument and loads of other (free!) attractions. I went to the Museum of African American History (amazing) and the National Portrait Gallery (also amazing, gorgeous atrium).
- I was walking by the DOJ right when the Mueller report dropped on Friday, it was a glorious hot mess.
- The campus is beautiful. The school is right near the GW hospital and there is a Metro stop (Foggy Bottom-GWU) right there, with easy access to Virginia across the river (where a lot of GW students live).
- The school building itself is right on Washington Circle. It is brand new (only a couple years old)-- there's lots of open space and natural light-- I'd describe it as 'modern comfortable'.
- There were a ton of food trucks near campus on the days I stayed there, all different kinds of yums!
- The goodie bags they gave us included one of those bougie metal straws that I've been eyeing. Yay!
- The event also had its own special GW public health Snapchat filter and a #hashtag on Instagram, LMAO so extra.

Academic:
- Student body is diverse, but skews female. We did a quick count and about half of us there were just out of college (or about to be) and the other half had been working.
- A stellar faculty panel discussed the specific concentrations within Milken and how they intersect and collaborate in the context of Hurricane Maria crisis to assess local health delivery systems and account for the number of lives lost in order to direct the government to mobilize appropriate aid and support.
- Like any other school, there are lots of collegial activities and seminars offered. However, since this is DC, the school gets more prominent visitors more frequently. The Director of Admissions listed off a bunch of people who spoke at the same auditorium in the past year-- James Comey, the Surgeon General, some celebrities, some politicians, and my true love the notorious RBG.
- The schedule included optional lectures we could attend. I went to one on climate change, and it blew my mind. The lecturer was very engaging, it made me incredibly excited to possibly take classes from him in the future.
- We broke out into small groups based on concentration, and it seemed like a lot of the students (in policy and management) end up staying in DC post-grad. The network for GW public health is robust in DC and many students parlay their practicum experience into a full-time position.
- There is a way to waive the practicum 'requirement' that we discussed in the policy and management group. You would need substantial work experience in order to petition that, but it's an option.
- Many students work (some even full time) while attending classes. Classes typically run from 4-9pm.
- Career services and support specific to Milken students is available to help students with their resumes, interviews, salary negotiations, etc. The career services spokesperson was really knowledgeable and eager to help.
- Financial aid for practicum is offered (but can be competitive), and covers cost of travel and additional expenses.
- The school itself has a lot of funding. At least, throughout the day, I heard a lot of numbers; a $20M grant for this thing, then later a $40M grant for another thing, then something about a $10M scholarship program.
- Students can take up to 15 credits online, and there is tremendous flexibility in terms of switching between part- and full-time as needed to fit your schedule and goals.
- The larger, introductory courses are recorded and available online (so you don't even have to show up to class) whereas some of the electives can be as small as four students.
- Professors have an open-door email-whenever policy. And most have concurrent appointments at various federal agencies on the hill so there are excellent opportunities to participate, learn and explore practicum ideas. Faculty frequently have short and long-term research openings (available throughout the year) that actively involve students. A number of practicum sites and local agencies have a stated preference for Milken students.
- They told us that all scholarship info have been sent out, and a number of students have found it in their 'spam' mailbox, so check there if you are still waiting.

And with that visit wrapped up, I've now narrowed it down to GW and Yale.

Cheers for bringing all of this to the table. I was so excited to be admitted to GW back in December, it was my top choice for a few months. I live in Africa at the moment, and have only been able to communicate with the school via email, which unfortunately has made me lose complete interest in their program. Between being bounced around to the wrong departments countless times and being forced to pay to apply for financial aid and then being told I was never eligible......and now they've completely bungled my financial aid award. They've apologized for having me waste my money on the css profile and offered me a tuition credit, but this isnt quite enough to offset how expensive their program and DC as a whole are.

Rant over. I do think it would be great to live and study in DC, and the connections the school offers seems great. All of the faculty i've spoken with were fantastic, and there are a lot of great options. With that said, I found communication, online portals, and programmatic information at other schools to be of much higher quality and easier to access.

Reactions: 4 users
Committed to Hopkins for the MSPH in International Health! I'll be in the SBI department and going after a certificate in Food Systems and the Environment. Anyone know if we have an admitted students FB page?

Reactions: 12 users
Hi! Does anybody know if there’s a Columbia fb group?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on Brown vs. Columbia? I’m between the two.

Hey!
So being an international student confused between UCLA and UIC for epidemiology. Haven’t received funding from any of them yet but I find more chances of aid from UIC.
UCLA is a prestigious institution with higher costs while The program at UIC Is too good as per my research and the fee is very low in comparison to UCLA.
Any insight in this regard would be super helpful!

Anyone deciding between UNC and Emory? Finally narrowed it down but still just as undecided.

Edit: please help.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone received an agenda for Friday’s admitted students day at Harvard? I’m pretty sure I registered but haven’t received any additional info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an agenda for Friday’s admitted students day at Harvard? I’m pretty sure I registered but haven’t received any additional info.
I have! I just sent it to you in a message. Would you mind sending me any thoughts you have? I won't be able to attend. Thanks!

Can you guys add me to the chat??? I literally have been doing these mental gymnastics by myself, would love your opinions!

Of course! Do you know how to add people to a chat? Or do I start a new one with everyone?

Of course! Do you know how to add people to a chat? Or do I start a new one with everyone?
You might have to start a new one :( It looks like it doesn't have an "add a partipant" feature (I should've asked for that in the SDN user survey I did!)

How did you find out financial aid/scholarship for NYU?

I’m also between NYU and Emory! I haven’t heard about financial aid yet but the scholarship would have been mentioned in your acceptance email!

Hi! Does anybody know if there’s a Columbia fb group?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on Brown vs. Columbia? I’m between the two.

Brown and Columbia are very different schools. Feel free to PM me for more info, but here's a basic run down:

Brown: small student body, low student:faculty ratio, flexible curriculum. strong research focus

Columbia: large student and faculty body, resources of NYC, extremely structured curriculum, strong practice focus

Let me start off by saying that my stats are trash. My 2.7 GPA and meh GRE score (153V 154Q 4.0AWA) didn't really make me a competitive candidate. I also decided very late that I wanted to apply to MPH programs (literally verified SOPHAS last week).

I made sure I got strong LoRs, really emphasized my experience and research, and wrote a strong statement of purpose.

I just got accepted into 2 MPH programs, one with funding. I just wanted to share because I am no perfect candidate. Believe in your experience and what you bring to the table, admissions will see your potential beyond your scores.

Reactions: 17 users
Has anyone heard from Tulane regarding financial aid package? I'm still waiting and it's the last week of March. By the way, I hope everyone enjoys their Visit Emory Day! I couldn't make it due to work...

15k + 7.5k REAL from Emory institutional award! And 10k from Harvard! But I’m still committed to Yale! :)

Reactions: 11 users
Hey everyone! If any of y'all are going to Emory this fall and are looking for housing starting in June, please message me!

Sorry if this a little self-indulgent, but would anyone care to give any input on my choices here? Or provide any more pros and cons for these schools if you are considering either of them yourself?

I am really stressing over this decision. I was encouraged to accept or decline my fellowship at Harvard by the end of the month, so it's really coming down to the wire. I also wouldn't want to hang on to the RA/funding offer from UNC for too long if I don't eventually take it, so it can be passed on to someone else. Here are my current pros/cons. (Emory is unfortunately out of the running because even with the merit scholarship, it would cost me twice as much as the other 2 :()

UNC
Pros: RA position set up with an interesting research project, full funding for 1st year, seems like there are funding opportunities for year 2 (could graduate debt free which would be great, obviously), proximity to GH orgs in the research triangle area, low cost of living, seems like a more welcoming environment
Cons: I'm not thrilled about the location as a place to live (I went to a large state school in undergrad and did not feel like it was the right place for me), global health concentration is new, which may come with challenges

Harvard

Pros: Full funding for year one, a language fellowship that would allow me to keep studying a language I really love (and would like to use professionally) research that interests me (though no connections yet), 1.5 year program, location, alumni network, "prestige" (I kind of hate to even say that, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a factor)
Cons: Potentially more difficult to access research opportunities (def. compared to UNC), practicum funding seems to be an issue, high cost of living

I'm really conflicted. My gut is saying Harvard, but my more practical side is having a hard time passing on UNC. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

Sorry if this a little self-indulgent, but would anyone care to give any input on my choices here? Or provide any more pros and cons for these schools if you are considering either of them yourself?

I am really stressing over this decision. I was encouraged to accept or decline my fellowship at Harvard by the end of the month, so it's really coming down to the wire. I also wouldn't want to hang on to the RA/funding offer from UNC for too long if I don't eventually take it, so it can be passed on to someone else. Here are my current pros/cons. (Emory is unfortunately out of the running because even with the merit scholarship, it would cost me twice as much as the other 2 :()

UNC
Pros: RA position set up with an interesting research project, full funding for 1st year, seems like there are funding opportunities for year 2 (could graduate debt free which would be great, obviously), proximity to GH orgs in the research triangle area, low cost of living, seems like a more welcoming environment
Cons: I'm not thrilled about the location as a place to live (I went to a large state school in undergrad and did not feel like it was the right place for me), global health concentration is new, which may come with challenges

Harvard

Pros: Full funding for year one, a language fellowship that would allow me to keep studying a language I really love (and would like to use professionally) research that interests me (though no connections yet), 1.5 year program, location, alumni network, "prestige" (I kind of hate to even say that, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a factor)
Cons: Potentially more difficult to access research opportunities (def. compared to UNC), practicum funding seems to be an issue, high cost of living

I'm really conflicted. My gut is saying Harvard, but my more practical side is having a hard time passing on UNC. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

If it were me, i'd go with Harvard for the language fellowship alone. Mastering a language will bring you a lot of happiness, help you make connections with people, and open so many doors professionally. Plus, it's Harvard! No matter where you end up, you're smart and equipped enough to make sure you gain meaningful research and practicum experiences, right?

Reactions: 10 users
Hi guys. I’m wondering if any current Yale students out there know if you can switch into a different concentration?

I recently visited another school and discovered after talking to come current students in that major that it really wasn’t what I thought it was and it wasn’t what I wanted to do. Luckily, the school allowed me to switch into a different concentration that aligned more with my interests.

I’m not saying this same thing will happen with Yale, but I want to be prepared and know if this is even possible or if I should just not bother trying.

Hi guys. I’m wondering if any current Yale students out there know if you can switch into a different concentration?

I recently visited another school and discovered after talking to come current students in that major that it really wasn’t what I thought it was and it wasn’t what I wanted to do. Luckily, the school allowed me to switch into a different concentration that aligned more with my interests.

I’m not saying this same thing will happen with Yale, but I want to be prepared and know if this is even possible or if I should just not bother trying.
You can switch at Yale during your first semester (all Core courses that everyone has to take anyway) - I went to a Yale reception a couple of weeks ago.

If it were me, i'd go with Harvard for the language fellowship alone. Mastering a language will bring you a lot of happiness, help you make connections with people, and open so many doors professionally. Plus, it's Harvard! No matter where you end up, you're smart and equipped enough to make sure you gain meaningful research and practicum experiences, right?

Thank you for that! In trying to make this decision, I keep losing sight of the fact that so much of what you get out of a program is what you put in. So thanks for helping me regain that perspective!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

UNC

Harvard

Hi there! Are you able to message me about UNC research opportunities?

Hi there! Are you able to message me about UNC research opportunities?
I think I have my account set now that I can be messaged, so feel free to shoot me a message! The information I have just comes from talking to a couple professors, but I'm happy to share what I do know.

What are you struggling with specifically or wondering about each??
Having a hard time deciding if the rank is relevant and to what extent it will change my post-grad opportunities. Also wondering if the name of Johns Hopkins or Yale will serve me better in government spheres as I hope to go into health policy at both domestic and global levels.

Accepted my Hopkins online/part-time admission offer today! Is there an admitted MPH online/part-time Facebook group? I’ll be starting in June in person so would love to connect with full-time folks too!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have an opinion for best program for global/MCH/EPI: UCB, UNC, BU?

I emailed the financial aid person last week (Jen Farkas) asking about it, and she basically said that the award (if any) you received in the ten days post-acceptance included ALL grants (need-based or merit-based), and that the rest would be loans. I would email to make sure, but it seems that it's basically all loans from Yale unless you got a scholarship notification previously.

Having a hard time deciding if the rank is relevant and to what extent it will change my post-grad opportunities. Also wondering if the name of Johns Hopkins or Yale will serve me better in government spheres as I hope to go into health policy at both domestic and global levels.

Ranking does not affect post-grad opportunities; the skills + experience + network you gain during grad school will. Have you had a chance to talk to current students/alumni from both programs? I am not in policy but met a lot of Yale health policy students who chose Yale over Hopkins because of the prestige outside of public health. They were also attracted to the fact that you can take classes at the law school, business school, etc. that would be beneficial for career in policy. Hope that helps!

HI All.. i've pretty much committed to UCLA. I will be looking for a roommate. Anyone interested? Please PM me.~

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed the financial aid person last week (Jen Farkas) asking about it, and she basically said that the award (if any) you received in the ten days post-acceptance included ALL grants (need-based or merit-based), and that the rest would be loans. I would email to make sure, but it seems that it's basically all loans from Yale unless you got a scholarship notification previously.

Do you happen to know if Yale reallocates scholarships? So like if a student who was awarded a scholarship turns down their offer, is their funding given to another student?

I know some schools do this but some don’t, so I’m just wondering if Yale does. Same for Brown.

Current Yale student here! It is possible within reason. You have to meet the admissions requirements for the concentration you switch into, but it's not like you need to fully apply or anything. For example, you couldn't just switch into biostats if you didn't have the prerequisites, but if a department isn't full of prereqs and you can justify why you want to switch, it shouldn't be a problem if you do so during your first semester. It is just important to switch ASAP. Yale is a very concentration specific school, so you start taking departmental courses during your first semester in addition to the core, so it becomes difficult (but probably possible) to catch up later.

You can switch at Yale during your first semester (all Core courses that everyone has to take anyway) - I went to a Yale reception a couple of weeks ago.
Just wanted to add that you take required departmental seminars and some departments have required department specific intro courses to take during the first semester, so it is not entirely core like other programs! It is still possible to switch and take the seminars the next year, it is just best to switch as early as possible. I'm a current Yale student, and I had required department specific courses in addition to the core.

Just wanted to add that you take required departmental seminars and some departments have required department specific intro courses to take during the first semester, so it is not entirely core like other programs! It is still possible to switch and take the seminars the next year, it is just best to switch as early as possible. I'm a current Yale student, and I had required department specific courses in addition to the core.

Thank you!

Patiently waiting for UIC.... as patiently as one can.

Hi y'all, I was wondering whether anyone has advice (or could post a sample?) on how to word an email to professors asking about their research (and subtly or directly(?)) asking about the possibility of working with them on their research. My current job will be ending at the beginning of summer, so if it's possible to start getting connected to a professor over the summer that would be amazing.