Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by el.mo19, Jul 16, 2018.

1. annizizi15

I'm sorry I'm seriously braindead thank you!

2. annizizi15

I have a question for everyone; what reason did you decide to pursue an MPH at a different school than where you received your undergraduate degree?
    I have the option to stay at UF for one more year (combined degree) and finish my MPH; it's cheaper and quicker, but not as reputable. Thoughts?

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  3. JDGBruin1317

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I did apply to my Alma mater to their MPH program but I was rejected. If I was accepted, I'm 70% sure I would have attended due to my familiarity with the campus and public health courses, as well as saving a lot of money because of in state tuition. I'm excited for my choice nonetheless and looking forward to the new scenery, so I guess that rejection had some good to it! :p:D

Pertaining to your situation, it depends on what's important to you. Do you want to save money and gain your degree faster, which has a lot of pros, or do you want a new scenery and re-build your network in another location/institution?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. enviroprotector

Personally for me, I wanted to try something new and experience more of the world around me haha. And since MPH programs are generally only 2 years long, I think it would also go by fast (in the case that you get homesick, etc.). I pretty much wanted to explore a new environment/surroundings. That way I think it'll help me to appreciate where I am currently at :)

With that said, I have plenty of friends who stayed at the same institution after undergrad for their grad. programs and loved it! So it really depends on what you're looking for

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bcobb7

Anyone else apply to University of Nevada, Las Vegas? I submitted my app 10/26 and still have yet to hear back :( I'm ready to make a decision but can't till I have all my options. Its frustrating because it was the first school I applied to. The last school I applied to has already gotten back to me! :(

6. bcobb7

I did apply at the school where I received my undergraduate degree and I was accepted- however, I have ultimately decided at this point I do not want to stay there. I think mine came down to the fact that I felt like I need to expand my options when it came to finding a job and possibly pursing my PhD. I knew if I got my masters here I couldn't get my PhD here. If I stayed here for my masters, most of my connections for a PhD would be here as well and I wasn't ready to limit myself. It is significantly cheaper and that was appealing to the eye, but I felt like I would be doing myself wrong if I stayed here. They also couldn't offer me what I needed in terms of research, plus they prep you to work in our city- which I do not want to stay here.

7. kc142909

I'm a bad person to ask as I got super lucky and don't need financial aid (work is paying). Saving some for the rest of you!

8. Gutterball1234

This is very much specific to my personal situation, but I've lived my whole life in the city where my undergrad is located (undergrad was Ohio State, so Columbus). I feel like I need a fresh start in a new city. Also, Emory seems like it'll provide a lot more opportunity for me to pursue my interests than what OSU would have (nothing against OSU, but I'm really eyeing the CDC right now).

9. MAgirl

I find it very hard to NOT go to Hopkins...but also torn because I loved BU accepted students day. And I am from Boston. Why is this so hard:help:

JDGBruin1317 and Greentree1 like this.
  10. pubhealthiscool

Other Health Professions Student
    Denied: UMich, UNC

11. OP
    OP
    el.mo19

I know long term I don’t want to stay in Los Angeles, and want to expand my network outside. Having attended UCLA, and been working there since, ALL my network is here and I would like to create more outside. Plus I haven’t been able to find as many faculty doing the research that I am interested as I have at other unis.

On a personal note, I know I wouldn’t be able to work full-time as a student, and don’t think I can transition from my current living situation to something I was more used to in UG either (not looking to take out the loans on top of tuition to help me cover my current COL). Other towns COL are much more affordable IMO (minus Berk but I have family in the Bay I could stay with). When I was applying, I found out I could get reduced tuition if I continued working full-time, but as the year progresses, I don't think I (mentally) could handle staying at my current position 40 hours a week while also being a student. It would definitely be the most convenient, but personally just don't think it's feasible or like I'm doing something because it's "easiest"

#2761 el.mo19, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  12. MPAfya_19

UNC offered me full tuition/fees/stipend for the first year with a research assistantship!! :wow:

I think that officially narrows my decision down to UNC vs. Emory vs. Harvard. Definitely feeling very forunate to be in this position, but also feeling very torn in making this decision! I know it'll ultimately be a very personal decision, but any thoughts from you all would be appreciated.

13. Nemz123

Can you please tell me more about UGA’s program?

14. Missaayyyy

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Congrats! You’re doing incredibly! Was this in your portal or did they email you?

dubbz09 likes this.
  15. MPAfya_19

Thanks! They emailed me directly, weirdly at like 11pm EST.

Missaayyyy likes this.
  16. CLib1214

I did my undergrad at UF too! I didn’t end up applying for my mph there mostly because I didn’t see myself staying in Gainesville another two years. I also took a three year gap to work in DC and it just didn’t make sense to me to go back to Florida.

JDGBruin1317 and annizizi15 like this.
  17. Kipu1428

Just curious.. any other parents on this thread trying to also make their decision based on education quality for little ones in the neighborhood of their school choice? This is such a complicated puzzle!

sploosh and aurora212 like this.
  18. krequals10

Hey! Would you tell us why you like the accepted students day so much? I wasn't able to go :/

19. dubbz09

Why won't they tell us about financial aid alreadyyyyyyy :unsure::unsure::unsure:, just wna make a decision and get excited sigh

Bloops, cramerb83, krequals10 and 6 others like this.
  20. flawedmph

BIG mood

21. Missaayyyy

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    So I looked back at my SOPHAS out of sheer desperation, and it looks like Berkeley created a new application for me for the Global Health and Environment track on February 11th. I'm assuming I was denied for HSB and rerouted to Global Health......but I still have heard nothing at all from them since January so this is all just me speculating. Really great communication going on seeing that I was told (for the 3rd week in a row!) that I'd hear back this week.

#2771 Missaayyyy, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  22. MAgirl

Of course!
    1) One thing I really liked and did not know about was that they require everyone to take a career-prep class to help with job searching, resume work, negotiating salary, etc. (which I'm assuming is why they 92% of grads are employed within 6 months).
    2) All faculty have an "open door" policy, and the current students on the panel were very supportive of this.
    3) They are offering the 4 core classes (first semester) online for the first time this upcoming Fall.
    4) You have a cohort which you meet with once a week and will complete your core classes with. The current students spoke very highly of this and said they are all very good friends with their cohort.
    5) They discount your public transportation pass! (very expensive in Boston)
    6) There was a certificate fair where you could speak to members of each different certificate program to learn more about the classes and practicum available. I have the info from Epi/Biostats and Pharma Development, Delivery and Access.
    7) Everyone who spoke was super enthusiastic about their job and made us feel very welcome and honored.
    8) They seemed very helpful when it came to getting into a practicum/helping choose one that would best benefit you.

Overall, a great day and experience! If you want I could somehow send the papers we got while there. Just let me know!

mhmph, dubbz09, rosed.stone and 2 others like this.
  23. dubbz09

This whole experience you've had with Berkeley is insane and inexcusable, I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this!

Nb30, JDGBruin1317 and Missaayyyy like this.
  24. NeuroGeeK07

Hi FIVE! I am from SEA too (malaysia). I am undecided between Hopkins and Harvard; both equally good and expansive but Harvard give me money and Hopkins doesnt. The currency exchange is so bad that I need to choose the cheapest option here. Hahah
    Have you guys decided?

Missaayyyy and doc_tfk like this.
  25. sploosh

OH MAN, something one of you just said jogged my memory. Here is another thing I think people might want to consider, and one that I had no idea about before I came here.

Hopkins faculty in the epi department (don't know about the other departments) are all paid by "soft money", meaning they're mostly funded by grants, with a small stipend for teaching from Hopkins. ("Hard money" is if they got paid their whole salary by Hopkins itself.)

What this means for you is that no teachers in the epi department hold office hours for their classes, and in general, classes rely more heavily on TAs to answer student questions than you might be used to from undergrad.

Caveats:
    1. You can obviously set up office hours with the teacher by email if you need them; it's just not an open door thing like in college.
    2. I have not had any problems learning under this system.
    3. For most core classes, the school has a tutoring team, as well.

I also don't know if this is the case at other schools; this might be true of every graduate school ever. But I just wanted to let you know because it surprised me when I first got here (although I'm used to it now).

26. transatlantique

Are there any threads around to talk about how admitted students days have gone and how people have felt about them? I'm just asking because I was really not impressed by Columbia's admitted students day, but it's hard for me to put my finger on what it was that turned me off. I got a really weird vibe there, and it felt kind of business-y? I thought it was just me, but I talked to someone else who went this year and two people who went either last year or the year before who felt the same way. I loved JHU's accepted students day and was super won over by it, but unfortunately they gave me all loans so I'm kind of unsure of what to do.

27. oxytocin16

I feel the same way- I was not impressed by Columbia's admitted students day either; by the end I still did not learn much about the school's impact. Meanwhile, I felt so inspired at JHU's admitted students day!

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  28. tacosandnachos

I am really getting over how I think about two schools and then switch to another combo of schools the next day!

29. Greentree1

Can someone start a thread between Columbia & JHU? For some reason I can't start one.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences with admitted student days and experiences otherwise. E.g. the vibe at Columbia - can you elaborate on business-y? @transatlantique @oxytocin16

I will be attending both as well but want to attend in order to confirm a decision rather than make one.

If someome could start a thread that would great - or pls feel free to DM me to discuss because I am extremely torn.

Thank you!

brokenboujie likes this.
  30. Memm77

Does anybody know whether we can waive the health insurance fees by purchasing private insurance? In Yale, they charge 9000$ for f1-f2 students per year!! I’m really shocked!

31. mhmph

Hey! I'd love to hear more about your thoughts/what you learned since BU is the school I'm most leaning towards right now. Would you mind chatting with me/sending those papers over somehow? :)

32. kinasekinasekat

Alrighty all, it's official. I will be attending the Johns Hopkins full-time MPH program! It feels right and I am so excited!

33. acn2019

Just have to throw this out there- Boston has the cheapest public transit pass of any other city I have seen. WAY cheaper than DC public transit.

doc_tfk likes this.
  34. hollyberry118

I just wanted to throw this out there for any folks considering a Boston school- I've lived in Boston for 6 years now and I know most of the true ins and outs. If anyone has any questions/concerns/anything about living in Boston, I'm happy to chat with you!

35. Hf_50

Has anyone received their aid from Hopkins MSPH?

cramerb83, dubbz09 and #notadoctor like this.
  36. Memm77

I made the decision! I will attend Yale, for the MS program in Chronic Disease Epidemiology :)

37. annizizi15

Can anyone that has attended or will attend UCLA message me? I have a few questions about GRA's and decision making and would love to talk to someone in the same boat or knows more about the school. Thank you. :)

38. NeuroGeeK07

Hello,

Ill be coming to Boston in July. How is the living cost there ya? Rental? Food?
    Any fun activities around? Transportation?
    Thanks for your kind reply.

39. aigiss

40. Nb30

For those of you who are have attended Visit Emory for admitted students, how essential was this for making your decision? There is a large chance that I wont be able to go because I had to leave work unexpectedly the past two weeks and can't get more time off :( I feel like I'm going to make a blind decision if I don't visit Emory but I'm also hoping I get the information I need from other students who have gone!

Also, has anyone heard back from Emory's Supplemental Institutional Award App?

dubbz09 likes this.
  41. cramerb83

If I had a dollar for every time i've checked their financial aid report page, i'd have enough money to go there

#2791 cramerb83, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    rosed.stone, emie, Kipu1428 and 16 others like this.
  42. _basquiat

Has anyone heard anything about need-based financial aid or institutional funding from Yale?

#notadoctor and dubbz09 like this.
  43. krequals10

Thank you so much! The papers would be great too! Can you post them here?

44. krequals10

I applied but haven't heard back. They said they wouldn't start even reviewing apps until mid to late March.

The waiting continues...

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  45. suecakep

I still haven't received financial aid/loan package from Emory... the waiting continues.... wow

46. PrestonNotBurke

Non-Student
    Congrats on committing! I'm sure yours wasn't the most easy decision to make, you were in at great schools!

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how are you navigating the finances bit? Has Yale been generous to you?

47. JDGBruin1317

2+ Year Member

I'm in the same boat. Still waiting for the financial aid package as well. Hopefully we hear something by the end this week!

48. doc_tfk

Medical Student
    Just heard back from Columbia for Accelerated MPH :banana:

49. Memm77

Thanks for your Congrats. It was a very tough decision, but No, they weren’t generous! I didn't succeed in getting Financial Aids from Yale!

As @wwmmkk recommended, I made an Excel spreadsheet, and I strived to be unbiased. If I wanted to be ambitious I should go to Harvard, while my heart was beating for UMN, ranking was pushing me to Hopkins, and UCLA as well as GW were attracting me by their generosity in financial aids! But in the end, Yale won the battle in the Excel competition! :)

***For those who are interested in Yale, especially its MS program, I’m gonna list its Pros and Cons from my viewpoint:

Pros:

1- The Chronic Disease Epi MS program is a 1-year program=> 9 months living expenses instead of 21 months + lower tuition (43k) (Although these kinds of programs are not generally recommended, due to my financial limitations It was an advantage for me)

2- Small student body and class size= better opportunities for making close connections with professors.

3-Relative affordability of New Haven compared to Boston, LA, and NY.

4-Great geographical location with easy access to NY and Boston.

5-Reputation of Yale as an Ivy-league, regardless of its newly released 15th rank in Public Health! (As an international student, in terms of the success for obtaining a student visa, the Name of school helps more than its subject rank in convincing the US embassy officer!)

6-I talked with 3 current students in Yale, and all of them were satisfied and HAPPY!

7-A great knowledgable and responsive Administrative Director! It may seem weird but it was important for me, because they are the main persons between the programs and us. Everytime I send an email, she responds well in less than 2 hours in office time!

8-Specific focus of the program on Chronic Disease Epi (I’m not interested in Infectious Epi at all!)

9-Although I’m not completely sure that I want to continue in clinical medicine after graduation, Yale has a greater chance for an International Medical Graduate to be Matched in Internal Medicine residency compared to Harvard, UCLA, and even UMN.

10-And of course, Delicious Pizzas of New Haven :)

Cons:

1-Small alumni network
    2-Limited available courses
    3-Strict and limited curriculum with only 7 required courses and 3 electives
    4-Lower number and diversity of research centers compared to Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Emory, and some other schools.
    5-High crime rate of New Haven
    6-Limitations of local job opportunities compared to Boston, Minneapolis, and NY.
    7-High price of Yale Health Insurance! (2.5 k for singles and 9.3 k for married students!) > I’m searching for private insurance as an alternative for waiving!
    8-Being out of SOPHAS! (MS and PhDs only)
    9- Insufficiency of financial aids

#2799 Memm77, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  50. MAgirl

Here you go! I have specific pages from the Epi/Biostats and Pharma certificates if anyone is interested in those.

Attached Files: