MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Im planning to get into residency too but i want to do Neurosurgery. I choose Harvard because i know someone there and they gave me money. As IMG, money and connection are important I guess. Eventho, there is no chance for me to get into their problem but i guess the connection there might help,

Thank you for sharing, its nice to see someone going through the same journey. All the best!
Honestly, I don't know how much an MPH could help in matching into surgery residencies. I recommend you if you decided to attend Harvard, try to connect to neurosurgery professors for research collaborations instead of public health faculty. In general, connections play a more important role than degrees, and I think making connections for non-img-friendly programs would waste our efforts. You should search FREIDA for the percent of IMGs in residency programs in Massachusetts, and if you find out that for example BU or Tufts will give you a more chance for Match, it would be reasonable to study at Harvard, but do research in those universities concurrently.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm fairly certain I'm going to commit to UCLA, but I'm wanting to see financial aid packages from each school before making a final decision. But.. it also occurred to me that I have no idea where I'm going to live, and I feel like every day that passes is a day that apartments are filling up for next year. I'm also hoping graduate housing will be an option, but I'm not sure how great the odds are, as it seems to be a lottery system.

Also just suddenly feeling stressed in general about whether this is even the best choice I can make for my future. I *think* it's what I want and that it would help steer me towards a great career, but what if it doesn't and I've just wasted money on tuition and the insane COL? What if I get there and realize that I don't even like Biostats? Argh, I know I'm probably not the only one in this boat, but I just wish I could see into the future and have more peace about this decision.

Reactions: 9 users
If I had a dollar for every time i've checked their financial aid report page, i'd have enough money to go there

When I asked about a timeline, the financial aid office told me: "before April 15." :smack:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly certain I'm going to commit to UCLA, but I'm wanting to see financial aid packages from each school before making a final decision. But.. it also occurred to me that I have no idea where I'm going to live, and I feel like every day that passes is a day that apartments are filling up for next year. I'm also hoping graduate housing will be an option, but I'm not sure how great the odds are, as it seems to be a lottery system.

Also just suddenly feeling stressed in general about whether this is even the best choice I can make for my future. I *think* it's what I want and that it would help steer me towards a great career, but what if it doesn't and I've just wasted money on tuition and the insane COL? What if I get there and realize that I don't even like Biostats? Argh, I know I'm probably not the only one in this boat, but I just wish I could see into the future and have more peace about this decision.

I legit also applied for MBA programs two weeks ago because I was freaking out about career prospects/money. But I'm committing to where my interests are and it's gonna work out! (right?)

Reactions: 2 users
Although I am still waiting on one more school, I have decided to attend San Diego State University (SDSU). It just feels right and I have been at a peace with it, if anyone else is going shoot me a message!
Hi all! I know I am a little late to the forum, but I just decided I needed to get on one of these to keep up with other people pursing their MPH! My GPA and GRE were not good at all, but I was hoping my research experience and recommendations would make up for it.
Undergrad School: The University of North Carolina at Charlotte (expected May 2019)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.09 SOPHAS verified
Major/Minor: B.S. Psychology/ B.A. Criminal Justice
GRE (including date taken): 10/18 Verbal: 142 (17%) Quant: 144 (16%) Analytical Writing: 3.5 (41%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 2 years in an undergraduate research lab as a lead research assistant
- Internship with a grant funded research lab
- Published abstract, 3 regional conference presentations (2 being oral presentations) & 1 national conference presentation (also being oral)
- Undergraduate Honors Thesis where I was considered P.I. (will be submitted for publication in June)

LOR: one from mentor and P.I. in the lab I have been apart of for 2 years, one from a member of my honors committee, and last one from the honors coordinator over the department of Psychological Science.

Interests: MPH in Social and Behavioral Science or Community Health

Applying: Temple University (11/10), Rutgers (11/10), UNLV (10/26), SDSU (1/31), UNCC (1/9)

Accepted: Temple University (2/27), Rutgers (12/14), UNCC (1/24), SDSU (2/26)
Denied:
Waitlisted:

I legit also applied for MBA programs two weeks ago because I was freaking out about career prospects/money. But I'm committing to where my interests are and it's gonna work out! (right?)

Heyy! Did you apply for dual degrees?

I should declare that this statement is almost limited to Internal Medicine residency programs and IMGs. Harvard, Hopkins, Emory, UCLA, UofMich, Columbia, and the majority of other renowned Universities set their cut-offs and filters in a way that international medical graduates do not have a great chance for getting in! Yale is one of few top university programs which are IMG-Friendly. This fact is based on Statistics originated from FREIDA and NRMP outcome charts.
If this problem didn't exist, Harvard would be my first choice!
Among my 14 admitted programs, only Yale, Icahn, OSU, and UMN have a number of IMGs among their IM residents.

Thanks for clarifying that! I'm looking to get into residency after this as well, but I am not an IMG (I'm from an LCME-school). All the best with this and residency!

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Im planning to get into residency too but i want to do Neurosurgery. I choose Harvard because i know someone there and they gave me money. As IMG, money and connection are important I guess. Eventho, there is no chance for me to get into their problem but i guess the connection there might help,

Thank you for sharing, its nice to see someone going through the same journey. All the best!
All the best! I'm looking at neurology :)

Hi! Has anyone else accepted into Yale, Columbia, or JHU MPH programs not received any financial aid information yet? I'm pretty confident about staying in Boston, but I feel like I should still wait for all of the information to come in before committing?

Also, I got an assertive email from a current student wanting to schedule a call to talk more about their program, but without any financial information I kind of don't want to take the call? Do you think it would be rude/weird if I explained this to the person, or maybe I should just ask to delay the call until April?

Thanks!

Hi! Has anyone else accepted into Yale, Columbia, or JHU MPH programs not received any financial aid information yet? I'm pretty confident about staying in Boston, but I feel like I should still wait for all of the information to come in before committing?

Also, I got an assertive email from a current student wanting to schedule a call to talk more about their program, but without any financial information I kind of don't want to take the call? Do you think it would be rude/weird if I explained this to the person, or maybe I should just ask to delay the call until April?

Thanks!
I think it's always worth it to have the call. You may gain some valuable insight regardless of financial information. You also don't want to receive the financial info and then feel like this was a missed opportunity. You can still always turn the school down! Maybe plan to ask the student questions that you would want to know if you were planning to start the program - just so you have all the information you need to make the right decision. Just my two cents!

Reactions: 8 users

Thanks!
Hey, id love to chat with why you are choosing Boston

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still waiting on hearing back from Rutgers MPH? They said they had a large amount of applicants this year so they are still reviewing but its been 10 weeks since I applied.
Also would love to hear anyone's experience with Rutgers/GW/Drexel MPH!

Heyy! Did you apply for dual degrees?
Nah, I decided to do MPH first so I can decide whether or not I'm doing my PhD. If I don't, I'll probably eventually get a MBA (hopefully sponsored by a future employer!)

Hey yall, I am on a few waitlists for medical school for the current cycle and was looking at possibly applying to some masters programs as a backup plan for next year (John Hopkins MHS is one in specific). I know I am a bit late to the game. I was doing some research and saw that several programs are still a bit away from there deadlines. I was wondering if it's worth it to apply? I know the deadlines haven't passed yet, but is it similar to med school admissions where the deadlines don't really matter and you won't really have a chance unless you apply really early?

Stats : 3.38 GPA / 515 MCAT

I went to the JHU MHS admitted students day and they said they are still accepting applications for this upcoming year despite the deadline passing two months ago. If you're interested in applying for 2019-2020, I would email them.

I went to the JHU MHS admitted students day and they said they are still accepting applications for this upcoming year despite the deadline passing two months ago. If you're interested in applying for 2019-2020, I would email them.

Thanks for the heads up. There website says the priority deadline is April 15, so i wonder if they decided to update it? I'll shoot em an email regardless tho

Just got a notification from Columbia that I was selected as a Community Scholar Award recipient - the website says this is for SMS students, but does anyone have additional information about the criteria (formal or otherwise) for this fellowship?

Also, hooray for all of us that aid is still being sent out! :)

Is anyone still waiting on hearing back from Rutgers MPH? They said they had a large amount of applicants this year so they are still reviewing but its been 10 weeks since I applied.
Also would love to hear anyone's experience with Rutgers/GW/Drexel MPH!
I was accepted back in December. My official SOPHAS date was 11/10 I believe and I heard back 12/14 I think. Good luck!

I was accepted back in December. My official SOPHAS date was 11/10 I believe and I heard back 12/14 I think. Good luck!
Thank you! I just got the acceptance email yesterday. Wonder what took them so long. Where are you planning on going?

The first deadline to provide financial info to Hopkins was this Monday, so they're now starting to package awards and MSPH students should find out "in the next few weeks." I would imagine MPH students would hear back first but I haven't the foggiest.

I got an email from JHU about finaid on Tuesday which had all loans/a petty amount of work-study, but received an email from my department about an hour ago that I received a 50% first year tuition scholarship in addition to the MTS.

Reactions: 12 users
I got an email from JHU about finaid on Tuesday which had all loans/a petty amount of work-study, but received an email from my department about an hour ago that I received a 50% first year tuition scholarship in addition to the MTS.
I'm so excited to see where you end up! You have great options

Reactions: 6 users
I'm so excited to see where you end up! You have great options

This made my heart so happy! I'm so grateful for everyone on this forum, and excited where everyone ends up!
You have amazing choices as well, and an equally tough decision!

Hey! I'm debating between epi at Columbia and chronic disease epi at Yale. I was wondering if anyone has any insight regarding these two programs? Unfortunately as an international student I'm not able to make it to the admitted student days. So your feedback would be greatly helpful!

Hey! I'm debating between epi at Columbia and chronic disease epi at Yale. I was wondering if anyone has any insight regarding these two programs? Unfortunately as an international student I'm not able to make it to the admitted student days. So your feedback would be greatly helpful!
I know the Yale programs tend to have about 30 people per cohort (with about a 3.25:1 faculty to student ratio), while Columbia's is much larger. The Yale curriculum seems to also have much more room for electives/alternate classes (especially in their second year). I've heard that Yale's program is also very quant/methods focused. I'm not too sure on Columbia's (although the first semester consists of the CORE, or a foundational approach to public health before you start with your concentration).

Reactions: 1 users
Who else is going crazy waiting for Financial Aid?? :help:
I'm having a little bet with myself in my head on which will come first: financial aid packages from *any* program or a decision from UC Berkeley.

It's really a toss up, both really may never come.

Reactions: 13 users
Thank you! I just got the acceptance email yesterday. Wonder what took them so long. Where are you planning on going?
I am leaning towards my two schools on the west coast, just waiting on one more before making the official decision. Congrats on your acceptance!

Wondering if anyone here has written an email to a finiancial aid department asking if they could match another programs scholarship? I’m thinkinking of doing this and would love any tips anyone has

Wondering if anyone here has written an email to a finiancial aid department asking if they could match another programs scholarship? I’m thinkinking of doing this and would love any tips anyone has
I need to do this as well and I have no idea how to go about it. I'm meeting with my programs next week so I definitely also need tips if anyone has them!

Just got some surprise $$ from JHU, it's about 30% off tuition per year. Gah I already put it out of my mind because of the cost but now it's a little more doable. So grateful!!! But so much more anxious now about trying to decide which school! Aaaahhhh!

Which do you guys think would be better, Emory or JHU for a MPH/MBA?

Reactions: 5 users
Just got some surprise $$ from JHU, it's about 30% off tuition per year. Gah I already put it out of my mind because of the cost but now it's a little more doable. So grateful!!! But so much more anxious now about trying to decide which school! Aaaahhhh!

Which do you guys think would be better, Emory or JHU for a MPH/MBA?
FYI if you're saying that the degree at JHU would be an MPH/MBA, I would ask around about how the business students feel about Carey. From what I know, the program only JUST got accredited (maybe last year or the year before?) and so I don't know what kind of name or reputation it's got among other MBA-ers.

Their facilities are the bomb though. I go down there to study a lot because it's so much nicer than the SPH, hahaha!

Oh by the way, shameless plug - some of the applicants last year put together two google docs: one about impresseions of schools, and one about the applicant's stats/acceptances/choices, respectively. The docs aren't as good as the information in this forum, by any means, but they are centralized, so there might be additional info there. If people want to add their experiences to the mix, I'm sure it would be appreciated for applicants in the future!

Link (same as the one in my signature): Public Health Graduate School Resources - Google Drive

Thanks for posting this, I think having a centralized cache of information is super helpful! One thing I noticed in the applicant's stories section is that a big "regret" that people had, especially because of the nature of an MPH, is not applying to programs that are more generous with aid; however, there isn't really much indication of which programs that would be? I'm not sure if anyone else has more insight about which programs tend to be more generous, but if possible I think that would be a really helpful addition to the index about school impressions (like just adding a star or something for schools that are well known for being more generous?)

I think the key is not using the word "match" directly. Most unis have pretty clear policies about not "matching" offers, but that doesn't mean you can't waltz in and get into a conversation with someone about why you'd love to go there and would like to explore~~ more opportunities for funding

Who else is going crazy waiting for Financial Aid?? :help:

Actual footage of me every single time I get an email

baby_girl_screaming_meme_by_redjoey1992-dcd0jrd.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Excuse my stupid question, but does anyone know how to accept the Brown mph offer?

Excuse my stupid question, but does anyone know how to accept the Brown mph offer?
SelfService portal where you received your decision —> Review My Application —> Fall 2019 —> accept or reject here

When you do that, can you tell me how much the deposit is please? Lol

Attachments

• E680DCA6-78EF-41B2-AEDC-075FDF50EB4D.jpeg
    E680DCA6-78EF-41B2-AEDC-075FDF50EB4D.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 86
Hey y'all, cool update from Emory's Epi department-- core epi/biostats classes next year will be taught jointly in SAS and R, rather than just SAS. I'm honestly a little jealous of the 2019 matriculating class!

Hope to see some of you next week at Visit Emory! :)

I just checked OPUS and my award info was updated! It looks like I have REAL for the first year, but it didn't mention year two. Does anyone else know if that's how it goes and I will reapply for year two? Or do I just have year one REAL?

Also, I applied for the Institutional Awards, and haven't heard back about that. Do you think more awards are being distributed or my financial aid package is complete now that OPUS has been updated?

Thanks! (I've also emailed my fin aid adviser, but you guys might be faster haha)

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know where the US News ranking for MPH programs specifically is? Not public health programs, but MPH degrees. I saw a post from NYU that they are ranked 4th for MPH programs and I can't find the data anywhere.

Reference:

Does anyone know where the US News ranking for MPH programs specifically is? Not public health programs, but MPH degrees. I saw a post from NYU that they are ranked 4th for MPH programs and I can't find the data anywhere.

Reference:

Perhaps you can just comment on that post on facebook directly/email them to ask? It was awkward clicking on the link they provided and did not find the information that they were ranked #4....

I just checked OPUS and my award info was updated! It looks like I have REAL for the first year, but it didn't mention year two. Does anyone else know if that's how it goes and I will reapply for year two? Or do I just have year one REAL?

Also, I applied for the Institutional Awards, and haven't heard back about that. Do you think more awards are being distributed or my financial aid package is complete now that OPUS has been updated?

Thanks! (I've also emailed my fin aid adviser, but you guys might be faster haha)

Thanks for the hot tip! Looks like I also got the REAL award. I remember hearing pretty much everyone who gets the REAL award the first year qualifies for the second year as long as you're in good academic standing and working the required # of hours.

Thanks for the hot tip! Looks like I also got the REAL award. I remember hearing pretty much everyone who gets the REAL award the first year qualifies for the second year as long as you're in good academic standing and working the required # of hours.
Thanks for the info!

Hey! Where do we find this on OPUS lol :sorry:. Is it supposed to be in the financial aid section?