MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got into Boston for Infectious Disease with a 35% scholarship!!

Reactions: 14 users
Undergraduate School: Large Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.1/3.2
Major/minor: Bachelor of Arts - Liberal Arts , Biology focus , Psychology Minor
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken):V-154 ,Q-154

Experience/research:
-8 months Research Assistant at large pharmaceutical company
-6 months intern at brain tumor laboratory research lab, with 1 poster presentation of which I’m the first author. A lot of data management here.
-3 years working at dr’s office for mostly underprivileged geriatric patients
-Summer 2019 volunteering at state public health dept

Letters of Rec:
-VP medical affairs of pharmaceutical company(my boss)
-PI of brain tumor lab (PhD)
-Physician I worked with for 3yrs

Interested in: health policy and management , specifically for a pharmaceutical company, oncology, underprivileged communities getting access to better healthcare

My undergrad GPA is embarrassingly low and my main concern but it is in part due to my own mental health issues which I have documented proof of and also a major health issue that happened to my grandpa which resulted in me having to take care of him and part of why I’m now interested in public health (briefly mention this in personal statement)

Applied: NYU (1/23), GW(1/23), UCSD(1/23), CUNY(1/23), UMiami(1/23)
Rejected: TBD
Waitlisted: TBD
Attending: TBD

Would LOVE feedback! I’m really concerned about my GPA and am retaking the GRE... Do let me know what you think! Do you think it helps I’m a minority? (Hispanic woman)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to JHU: MSPH in global health epidemiology disease & control

Reactions: 8 users
Don’t think anyone here applied but just got into Hofstra! this is my undergrad school and i was scared i wouldn’t get in anywhere else lol

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Accepted to Boston University!! Wondering if you guys have any opinion on how I should decide between Tufts and BU? I know Tufts class sizes are smaller but I feel BU would be better in terms of getting a job after graduating?

Reactions: 5 users
If the school didn't tell you about a scholarship in the offer email/letter does this mean you are not going to be offered something? I applied to mostly MHA/MPH Healthcare Management programs. i'm not sure how common scholarship/aid is with these tracks.. any ideas?
Sometimes they say wait a month or two personally I called financial aid for the schools that didn't give me the package within a month and that's what they told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting on Brown (General)? My app. went under review on 12.2.2019.

Does anyone know when Harvard usually releases their decisions?

In at Brown for MPH/MPA!
Applied: GW, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, JHU, Emory
Interview: Columbia (December), Dartmouth (will decline)
Accepted: GW MHA (full scholarship), Yale HCM (32k), Brown ($), Emory HPM
Rejected: JHU MHA
Be patient and good news will come your way! Good luck!

Hi, I'm just wondering, what was the requirement of full scholarship? Would mind to clarify, what did mean by that: full tuition or all the expenses? Does citizenship requirement apply?
FYI, I've also place application to MPH: GHP in GWU and hoping to get acceptance letter and funding.

Hi, I'm just wondering, what was the requirement of full scholarship? Would mind to clarify, what did mean by that: full tuition or all the expenses? Does citizenship requirement apply?
FYI, I've also place application to MPH: GHP in GWU and hoping to get acceptance letter and funding.

During one of their webcasts, GWU mentioned that all their merit scholarships are given based on a formula that is only based on your GPA and GRE score. I guess the higher these are the higher the scholarship. Their need based scholarships are based on your parents' income (regardless of whether or not you are their dependent) until you turn 24.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
During one of their webcasts, GWU mentioned that all their merit scholarships are given based on a formula that is only based on your GPA and GRE score. I guess the higher these are the higher the scholarship. Their need based scholarships are based on your parents' income (regardless of whether or not you are their dependent) until you turn 24.

Thank you for your reply. I'm an international applicant; is there any such opportunities for me? GPA: 3.78; no gre as I've another graduate degree and years of experience.

Thank you for your reply. I'm an international applicant; is there any such opportunities for me? GPA: 3.78; no gre as I've another graduate degree and years of experience.

I'm international and I got funding from GWU, so I don't think that matters (it's only government loans/government aid that international students are usually ineligible). Based on my experience your GPA is great, but I don't know how they calculate it without GRE. To answer your earlier question, GWU have said that full tuition (no living costs) is their highest award. Good luck!

Hmm, I'm not sure how it works for international applicants, but I've heard they are pretty responsive in their emails. You're GPA is solid though and I'm sure having a grad degree already helps-- good luck!

Yeah! The subject line said Acceptance to Fielding School of Public Health, and it said I would get the official acceptance letter in 5-10 days

Awesome, thank you! What were u stats and when did u submit/go into review?

I would like to wish everybody a week filled with great news about acceptances and scholarships ! :)

Reactions: 28 users
I'm international and I got funding from GWU, so I don't think that matters (it's only government loans/government aid that international students are usually ineligible). Based on my experience your GPA is great, but I don't know how they calculate it without GRE. To answer your earlier question, GWU have said that full tuition (no living costs) is their highest award. Good luck!
Thank you Sez_M. Btw, which country/region are you from? How much did you receive? Full tuition?
I've had extensive email conversation with the Dean and at some point, he advised me to submit application and he promised he will look into the full tuition matter as he is impressed by my work; not guaranteed though. However, I informed the graduate admission officer that, if GRE is required then I will submit it if they allow some wiggle room for me.

By full scholarship I meant full tuition. My undergrad GPA/ GRE is 3.90, v161, q166 with no full time work experience. I’m international too but I did my undergrad in the US. Hope this helps!

I would like to wish everybody a week filled with great news about acceptances and scholarships ! :)
Same for you! And hopefully some good news this week for everyone who is waiting for Columbia!

Reactions: 7 users
New week. Praying for more calm and less anticipation anxiety. LOL

Reactions: 16 users
Anyone else get a heart attack when they saw an email from Emory re: merit scholarships, only to find it was a generic timeline email? -______-

Reactions: 9 users
I asked Yale and I qualified for the one year MPH! Is anyone considering that?

By full scholarship I meant full tuition. My undergrad GPA/ GRE is 3.90, v161, q166 with no full time work experience. I’m international too but I did my undergrad in the US. Hope this helps!
Your stats are amazing!!! Congrats! I also got full tuition, my stats aren't as high (see my signature) but have 5 years work exp (I don't think they consider this though).

Did anybody else sign up for Visit Emory? I saw on the website that you can apply for travel grants! :)

Anyone have an idea of when USC comes out with decisions? It was one of the first places I applied so I am getting antsy lol

Did anybody else sign up for Visit Emory? I saw on the website that you can apply for travel grants! :)
Me! I’m trying to decide if I want to also try to do GWU’s visit day that’s Saturday after Emory’s.. I’m more local to DC so can also do a day visit. Any feedback from current/past students on how helpful the visit days are would be great!

Last edited:
Accepted to tufts (email came out at 11:23 ET).

Reactions: 10 users
Does Emory only release decisions on Thursdays/Fridays? Waiting to hear back from Global Epi track... Routed for review on 12/13.

Does Emory only release decisions on Thursdays/Fridays? Waiting to hear back from Global Epi track... Routed for review on 12/13.
I was admitted on a Wednesday. Keep an eye on OPUS around close of business... my acceptance was posted around 5:30 pm and the first big wave of acceptances a couple of weeks ago was also after close of business! I had a huge lag with seeing the change in the portal and receiving emails, the emails came 2-3 hours after the portal changed.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Guys. Just an update from my side. Just got an email from GLEPI MPH Emory. They sent me an email saying even though I applied for the 3 semester track, they are accepting me into 4 semester traditional Global Epi program. It is a bit confusing because I only applied for 1 yr programs but I guess its good news .

I am also an international student who applied to GWU (Global Health Epi and Disease Control). I am yet to hear back from them, did you opt for financial aid in the main SOPHAS application to receive the funding or all applicants automatically considered for scholarships at GWU? I have a low GRE verbal score and am very afraid about their decision!

Hey Guys. Just an update from my side. Just got an email from GLEPI MPH Emory. They sent me an email saying even though I applied for the 3 semester track, they are accepting me into 4 semester traditional Global Epi program. It is a bit confusing because I only applied for 1 yr programs but I guess its good news .
Congrats! When did you get put under review?

I am also an international student who applied to GWU (Global Health Epi and Disease Control). I am yet to hear back from them, did you opt for financial aid in the main SOPHAS application to receive the funding or all applicants automatically considered for scholarships at GWU? I have a low GRE verbal score and am very afraid about their decision!
I think it was just automatic! I also think they look at combined GRE because I had a high verbal/low quant.

Still waiting to hear back from Emory Epi, my application was routed on 12/11/19... starting to get nervous but staying hopeful! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting to hear back from Emory Epi, my application was routed on 12/11/19... starting to get nervous but staying hopeful! :)
Haha same. My app was routed on 12/4/19 for Emory EPI. Don't be nervous! Good luck ;)

Feeling the same way but for UNC for me -- fingers crossed good news is coming our way :)

Hey all. Just got my first acceptance - - to CUNY! Did anyone else get in?

Reactions: 12 users