MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this conversation has been had a lot on this forum already but I'm currently trying to decide between JHU and UCLA. Please share any input or correct any misconceptions I may have about these programs :)

JHU MHS Epi:
Pros:
- Great connections to CDC and highly ranked
- Very reasonably priced rent
- High percent of students get theses published! (important for my goals of getting PhD)
- Program is more research-oriented, geared towards my interests and overall a better fit

Cons:
- I will need to take out more loans than I'd like but still a relatively small amount to afford this degree
- Never even set foot on the east coast and will not be able to before committing because of the Coronavirus

UCLA MPH Epi:
Pros:
- I am counting on complete funding of my degree with a TA or RA position at this school (any input on my chances of getting these positions especially in my first year is very much welcomed since I don't have any position already lined up)
- LA is one of my favorite cities, lots of family there

Cons:
- Not as highly ranked (not sure how important this is), not as many connections to CDC (but I do know some UCLA students intern there)
- Rent is pricey
- Program overall doesn't match my interests AS well but is still a good fit

In short, I basically care about the total cost more than anything else, so despite JHU being a better program for me, UCLA is still at the top of my list currently. But I don't know how I feel about committing a program on the basis that I'll get it paid for through TA/RA positions and not knowing until probably this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I've finally decided to commit to the University of Michigan! I am so excited to be continuing my public health journey in my home state, especially now more than ever. Thank you all for your unwavering support and advice throughout this application cycle! I wish you the best in all your endeavors and hope we cross paths someday :):biglove::soexcited:

Reactions: 15 users
Hi all! Wondering if there is a facebook page set up for the University of Washington, and if there is, could someone share the link? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this conversation has been had a lot on this forum already but I'm currently trying to decide between JHU and UCLA. Please share any input or correct any misconceptions I may have about these programs :)

JHU MHS Epi:
Pros:
- Great connections to CDC and highly ranked
- Very reasonably priced rent
- High percent of students get theses published! (important for my goals of getting PhD)
- Program is more research-oriented, geared towards my interests and overall a better fit

Cons:
- I will need to take out more loans than I'd like but still a relatively small amount to afford this degree
- Never even set foot on the east coast and will not be able to before committing because of the Coronavirus

UCLA MPH Epi:
Pros:
- I am counting on complete funding of my degree with a TA or RA position at this school (any input on my chances of getting these positions especially in my first year is very much welcomed since I don't have any position already lined up)
- LA is one of my favorite cities, lots of family there

Cons:
- Not as highly ranked (not sure how important this is), not as many connections to CDC (but I do know some UCLA students intern there)
- Rent is pricey
- Program overall doesn't match my interests AS well but is still a good fit

In short, I basically care about the total cost more than anything else, so despite JHU being a better program for me, UCLA is still at the top of my list currently. But I don't know how I feel about committing a program on the basis that I'll get it paid for through TA/RA positions and not knowing until probably this summer.

Since you are planning on getting a PhD, I don't know if the ranking of your masters matters, as long as you get into your preferred PhD school.
Your contacts will be in completely different parts of the country. Where do you want to live after? I think this would be a major factor.

Reactions: 2 users
No both the universities have only mentioned that I'm accepted as a full-time student for the MPH in Epidemiology program, there arent any locks in terms of time frame.
- Both the colleges require different credits to complete the degree. Should that be taken into consideration?
I would say that the difference in amount of credits to complete the degree is likely a result of how each university approaches their term periods (quarter vs semester). More credits, greater survey because more classes, faster paced=quarter system. Less credits, more time to absorb material, slower paced=semester system.

Since you are planning on getting a PhD, I don't know if the ranking of your masters matters, as long as you get into your preferred PhD school.
Your contacts will be in completely different parts of the country. Where do you want to live after? I think this would be a major factor.
That's a really good point, I'll be spending longer in my PhD program anyway so it's better to focus on choosing the preferable school when I reach that phase. I want to work for the CDC so probably on the east coast. I'm not sure how much getting into a PhD program depends on connections...

That's a really good point, I'll be spending longer in my PhD program anyway so it's better to focus on choosing the preferable school when I reach that phase. I want to work for the CDC so probably on the east coast. I'm not sure how much getting into a PhD program depends on connections...
My $0.02 is that the quality of the LoRs that you get from your Master's degree matter more than those who write them. The more unique your letters are, the better. Also, I can imagine that institutional feeding exists. Say you wanted to work for the CDC and you got into Emory for your Master's. You may want to go to Emory for your Master's and do your PhD there as well. Because the CDC and Emory are closely knit, you can take advantage of this and get a leg up on others who are interested in the same job position.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for how to choose an MPH program to attend? I'm having trouble choosing, and although I have not yet heard back from all my programs, I will be hearing back in the next couple of weeks and must decide by April 1st (to let my undergrad know if I will be doing a joint BA/MPH or an MPH at another institution). Eventually I will be applying to medical school, and at all these programs I plan to focus on biostatistics/epidemiology as much as possible (I know Dartmouth does not have specific concentrations).

Programs I have been accepted to thus far:
UC Davis
Case Western (my undergrad)

Programs I am waiting on:
Dartmouth
Northwestern
USC
Tufts

I've looked at what it would cost for me to go to each school, as well as their respective rankings, but none of this has given me a clear cut solution. Please let me know if you have heard anything about some of these programs (pros, cons, etc).
Just Bumping this message everyone, if y'all could help me out please do! I'm pretty lost.

My $0.02 is that the quality of the LoRs that you get from your Master's degree matter more than those who write them. The more unique your letters are, the better. Also, I can imagine that institutional feeding exists. Say you wanted to work for the CDC and you got into Emory for your Master's. You may want to go to Emory for your Master's and do your PhD there as well. Because the CDC and Emory are closely knit, you can take advantage of this and get a leg up on others who are interested in the same job position.
Great feedback - thanks! I'm leaning towards the cheaper program and just focusing on excelling as much as I can to get good grades and LORs without the stress of being in debt.

I'm regretting not applying to Emory... I had never even heard of the school (west and east coast academia are so out of touch) until I joined this forum last month :/ really should have done more research. I am surprised at the amount of institutional feeding because I would think schools would want to diversify the educational background of their incoming students.

Great feedback - thanks! I'm leaning towards the cheaper program and just focusing on excelling as much as I can to get good grades and LORs without the stress of being in debt.

I'm regretting not applying to Emory... I had never even heard of the school (west and east coast academia are so out of touch) until I joined this forum last month :/ really should have done more research. I am surprised at the amount of institutional feeding because I would think schools would want to diversify the educational background of their incoming students.
Researching universities takes a long time! However, if you do well in the Masters program of your choice, you should be able to get into any PhD program you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Just Bumping this message everyone, if y'all could help me out please do! I'm pretty lost.
Hi! I highly encourage you to get in contact with current students/alumni/faculty from these universities via email and LinkedIn. Mention that you are pre-med and ask them about what the program offers for prospective students in your position. I am also pre-med and I am getting connected with alumni with similar interests. So far, the response rate and advice given was superb.

Hope this helps!

accepted to columbia for epi today!!

literally floored rn. if you are considering applying to competitive programs but don't want to because you feel like you can't get in, please apply if you have the money! my gpa is under 3.0 and i don't have a stellar resume, but i still got into a school that was a big reach for me

Reactions: 10 users
No luck. There is a lack of scholarships for specifically graduate students and/or public health and the applicant pool is just way too big for the scholarships that are open to all applicants. So many seem to be centered around the applicants' ability to write or draw/design as well (not my strength :rofl:). I won a scholarship during my undergrad that was local, so perhaps if you can find something restricted to residents of your state or county/city or specific background you have, it will drastically reduce the applicant pool.

People do win these scholarships so it's worth it to keep trying and hope something comes through :)
Yeah im not surprised....my grades/gre are too low for merit awards and financial aid is probably gonna be all loans. Trying not to take out any loans...money is a huge factor rn

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All

To all the international students - has anyone applied for their student visas / had issues with this in light of the current Covid-19 situation?

Is anyone else worried that we may not start classes in the fall due to COVID-19? NYU just sent an email saying they are temporarily dropping the GRE requirement, and saying that the Fall 2020 semester may not happen on campus.

Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone else worried that we may not start classes in the fall due to COVID-19? NYU just sent an email saying they are temporarily dropping the GRE requirement, and saying that the Fall 2020 semester may not happen on campus.
I got the same email, I am starting to get a little worried about it. I want to hope they’re just being cautious. Hopefully the US government will stop messing around and get this situation handled as best they can. (Coming from a US citizen LOL)

Reactions: 4 users
Question for those who received any type of financial aid from Emory: did you also have to accept/decline the fin aid even though you are still deciding if you’re going to attend? I got an email that I should go into OPUS and either accept or decline the aid and that accepting or declining your financial aid does not imply that you are accepting Emory’s offer of admission.

Question for those who received any type of financial aid from Emory: did you also have to accept/decline the fin aid even though you are still deciding if you’re going to attend? I got an email that I should go into OPUS and either accept or decline the aid and that accepting or declining your financial aid does not imply that you are accepting Emory’s offer of admission.
Yeah I got this email too.

As a European student I am super worried about the travel ban being extended for longer than 30 days and not being able to get a visa in time or not being able to attend next academic year at all and having to defer for a year.

Hi All

To all the international students - has anyone applied for their student visas / had issues with this in light of the current Covid-19 situation?
The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City has suspended all visa services (both immigrant and non-immigrant) until further notice. I mean, I wasn`t going to apply right now, but in light of not really knowing how much this is going to last, it does worry me a little. :shrug:

Hi! I'm also interested in global nutrition and have all of these schools on my list. I personally will not be seriously considering Columbia because of their lack of nutrition education and professors working on nutrition research. I don't know what department you're in at Columbia, but I met in person with the head of the Population and Family department and she was really not able to give me any hope or promise of anything within nutrition and so that turned me off. I also have not found any alumni from the department working in anything relating to nutrition.
They did mention that they *may* be introducing a food policy certificate but they said there is no guarantee that it will be in place by this fall when we start our degree. If they could guarantee that certificate being available to me, I would more seriously consider them, but without that, I don't want to commit to a school where I would potentially have to forego my biggest interest. Plus, Columbia didn't offer me any aid so makes it that much harder to justify a school without any focus on what I want to do! To me, Berkeley and Emory are up to par education-wise to Columbia in their prestige and presence in their field, even if they're not ivy league, and it's more important to me to grow within nutrition than to have a fancy name on my degree. But think about what's most important to you! Not sure if this helps your decision process at all!
Thank you for this information! May I ask what other schools/programs you're leaning towards and why?

I was first verbally admitted into the MHA program and then the admissions director asked me to commit via. Email so that she could rescind my Health Policy offer. I was a bit worried about losing my merit as well but the office of financial aid informed me that it would still apply to the MHA program so I went ahead and had a new offer letter issued.

Just officially got accepted to Health Policy after having them rescind my Maternal and Child Health offer. It look less than 12 hours to get the Health Policy acceptance and I will keep my aid!

Reactions: 4 users

I may be reading it wrong, but to me it sounds like they're saying that they're planning for fall 2020 to be on campus, but it's also online if anyone can't make it to NY.

"If you are admitted and unable to physically join us on campus this fall, for whatever reason, all the required coursework for your fall courses would be available to you online and you would not have to relocate to NYC to enroll in the fall term."

It seems like they're just planning for those students who may have troubles and be affected by travel restrictions, and they're planning both on-campus and virtual options. Of course anything can happen and I'm certainly still worried about not having in-person classes in the fall, but this sounds more like contingency plans than actually cancelling anything, at least for now. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone figuring out travel and visas!!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an email from JHSPH about how they're extending April 15 application deadlines to June 1st (I was going to apply to the MSPH, I know it was originally due then) - do you guys think all of these programs will extend deposit dates as well? I don't know if it makes sense, with all of the uncertainty and delays, to also expect deposits on April 15th. I also saw NYU's email but I know they're accepting on a rolling basis now. What do you guys think?

I just got an email from JHSPH about how they're extending April 15 application deadlines to June 1st (I was going to apply to the MSPH, I know it was originally due then) - do you guys think all of these programs will extend deposit dates as well? I don't know if it makes sense, with all of the uncertainty and delays, to also expect deposits on April 15th. I also saw NYU's email but I know they're accepting on a rolling basis now. What do you guys think?

Do you mean the deposit deadline for accepting admissions offer or something else?

It definitely depends on connections with faculty. Email them early to express your interest in the program. Also, if you have a project to present at a conference during your MPH I highly recommend doing so. If any of the professors you would be interested in working with are in attendance, see if you can briefly meet to discuss their research.

Research is also so important. Try to have at least one published paper and a paper where you are first author in progress, or ideally published as well. I know this is hard during a 2 year (or even less!) program, but showing that you are productive as a graduate student is very important, especially when a PI has to pay for their graduate students out of their own grant money (which some programs do).

That is some great piece of advice and insight regarding the program.
So given the option between BU, UC Davis, TAMU and Drexel, which would be a better college to choose- in terms of college, living and job opporutnities for an international student.
- Would a course with more credits give me a better exposure to the field?
BU (48 credit) UC Davis (56 credit)
Are the extra credits specific to what you are focusing in or are they "fluff" credits? Not that the fluff credits aren't important but focused credits will help you more (i.e., taking more statistics classes in you're going into epidemiology).

When does Hopkins start (and stop!) telling MPH candidates they got money from the school?

They started a while ago and are still going. You can call/email them and they will tell you whether you are still under consideration or not.

Yeah I got this email too.

Ok good to know someone else got that email. I guess I should accept the financial aid even though it's mostly loans. Don't want them rescinding the aid lol. Still waiting to hear back about institutional scholarship though.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from programs? I'm waiting for UCLA and even sent an email to their admissions coordinator but heard nothing back. I'm assuming the COVID-19 Shelter-In-Place and Quarantine mandates are playing a huge role in these delays.

Ok good to know someone else got that email. I guess I should accept the financial aid even though it's mostly loans. Don't want them rescinding the aid lol. Still waiting to hear back about institutional scholarship though.
Same here - waiting to hear back about the institutional scholarship. Does accepting it now mean that I will accept the package as is and they won't consider me for the scholarship? Like you, my current aid is mostly loans as well.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from programs? I'm waiting for UCLA and even sent an email to their admissions coordinator but heard nothing back. I'm assuming the COVID-19 Shelter-In-Place and Quarantine mandates are playing a huge role in these delays.

still waiting on Columbia accelerated epi. At this point I know it’s a rejection but i'd like know when I can expect an answer so I can plan accordingly :/ I keep getting vague timelines.

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting on Columbia HPM? I'm assuming it's a rejection but wondering if anyone else hasn't hear or if anyone has been notified of their rejection... thanks guys!

That is some great piece of advice and insight regarding the program.
So given the option between BU, UC Davis, TAMU and Drexel, which would be a better college to choose- in terms of college, living and job opporutnities for an international student.
- Would a course with more credits give me a better exposure to the field?
BU (48 credit) UC Davis (56 credit)

Definitely, if you are applying to different MPH schools, do research of the various schools you are considering on your own and based on your criteria. What one person considers a great school, might not be so for another person, there is a "fit" between the student and the school and schools have different cultures for sure. Probably some good criteria are:

1. Cost. Quite simply, public health doesn't pay well, high tuition in an expensive city can be a problem, especially if there are problems finding a job, which can happen with the MPH from any school. Tuition price doesn't mean a better education, quite simply it might mean a private university with few resources that is ramping up their masters programs to bring in tuition dollars. The coronavirus will impact the economy, yes, there might be some small amount of more public health funding in the future, but a lot of MPHers employed in tangential fields will lose their jobs and will be looking for new jobs over the next few years, tuition might be more important in the next five years than ever before.

2. Reputation. If your even moderately familiar with public health research and the big names in public health, there are a couple dozen institutions that have that reputation, however, when it comes to getting a job, people doing the hiring have said here that they don't look at the degree granting institution, but at the skills. This is different from say, Harvard business school, where people hire those folks quickly as it assumed that they have connections with other people via Harvard and that those connections matter in terms of business deals, given that with the MPH you might be doing just a simple data entry job or something unrelated to public health just to get a job, many employers don't care about connections, but just what hard skills you bring. A lot of going to a big name school is for the applicant's . . . ego or satisfaction to know that you went to a "brand name place" in public health. There is this video on the London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine YouTube channel where they talk about the two years there being the best of their students lives (which is actually kind of scary!), so there is an "educational entertainment" side to getting an MPH at certain places. MPH schools aren't super competitive, so just being a student who graduated from a big MPH program doesn't mean you are in a super selective crowd. If you are a public health nerd, and need to feel that you are studying in a big name public health school like JHU, I know what you mean, but paying extra $$$ to go to a big name school might not make that much difference career wise if you mostly are getting the MPH to say you can use whatever program to model epidemics and move to getting another degree.

3. Geography. I think that for many people they want to work in a specific region in the US, then they pick a school based on this.

4. Research/Specific interest. If you have a specific interest, like a research interest, find out what school does that area well.

5. What Do You Really Learn? Some schools get complaints that the MPH is nothing more than "more college", so talk to current students to figure out what is really being taught, who is doing the teaching, is the curriculum dynamic?

6. What Do You Actually Do? MPH programs are money makers, schools promise a lot and might deliver very little, if I was serious about a school I would really look closely at what students were able to do in terms of externships and such.

7. Where Do Students Go? Figure out what students do post-graduation, with what institutions or entities. It might be that schools in the Washington D.C. area are a pipeline to NGOs in the area OR simply being there makes students consider staying in the area and applying locally.

8. What Do former students say? Figure out what graduates have to say about the school, the pluses and minuses.

NYU is hyper-aggressive about making money for the school via masters programs, and also a controversial MPH program that even the faculty admitted wasn't up to par:

A word of caution to anyone considering the Cross-Continental MPH at NYU.

Obviously, NYU dropped the GRE requirement in order to get more people to apply to the program as due to the coronavirus outbreak, people are shying away from applying just because New York is in the news. Personally, I'd consider other online programs as well as there is a good chance they'll be online. Schools aren't dropping the GRE because the test is worthless, but rather if applicants to their school have dropped due to whatever factors.

Also, if a big important part of the MPH is getting an practicum, externship, whatever, that might be much harder to do in areas hard hit by the coronavirus and you'd be graduating with a reduced experience. If you're doing a very expensive NYU MPH degree with an externship, without even being in New York . . . very different experience.

BU was NOT going to refund or pro-rate students who paid for their rooms and board at the university this Spring, though they were ordered to leave due to Coronavirus, and only recently came to some sort of compromise (apparently students who paid for the meal plan wouldn't get a refund so BU was literally eating their lunch or at least stole their lunch money!), I wouldn't trust BU with regards to trying to do an MPH there this fall due to the school's focus on the bottom-line over the students, if they stay all online, you'll have even more of a trouble beyond a high normal baseline level of difficulty with regards to getting externships and advising . . .

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting on Columbia HPM? I'm assuming it's a rejection but wondering if anyone else hasn't hear or if anyone has been notified of their rejection... thanks guys!
im still waiting! Applied to HPM

It's Day 8 of my quarantine so I apologize for the craziness but can anyone who got accepted into GWU please search the admitted students page on FB to see if anyone is mentioning the global program design, monitoring, and evaluation program?

I still haven't heard back from GWU and I am assuming like others that it is a rejection but I am just so baffled as to why. I have a 3.75 GPA and 167V 159Q 5.5W, well above the average that I see being accepted. The only thing I can think of is that this department is just particularly slow.

THANK YOU!!

It's Day 8 of my quarantine so I apologize for the craziness but can anyone who got accepted into GWU please search the admitted students page on FB to see if anyone is mentioning the global program design, monitoring, and evaluation program?

I still haven't heard back from GWU and I am assuming like others that it is a rejection but I am just so baffled as to why. I have a 3.75 GPA and 167V 159Q 5.5W, well above the average that I see being accepted. The only thing I can think of is that this department is just particularly slow.

THANK YOU!!

there are a few posts in there about this program! 6 people have posted about it. I would recommend emailing GW - they have been super responsive with me over the past few days.

there are a few posts in there about this program! 6 people have posted about it. I would recommend emailing GW - they have been super responsive with me over the past few days.
:cryi: ok, that's what I figured. Thank you so much.

I have emailed several times. I was told by end of week this week, but that wasn't a guarantee. I'd just like to speak to head of admissions to see what was missing from my application

Weird question but I was offered a training grant from a program but they were vague about the amount of tuition it would cover, and I haven't receieved any further specific information on it yet... out of curiosity and impatience, does anyone know typically how much a training grant will give you for tuition? I think it's usually a few grand, right?

Hello everyone!

I am an international student and have been accepted for the MPH program at Boston University (35% scholarship), UC San Diego, UC Davis, TAMU and DREXEL.

I am yet to make the final call and would love to get some insight on which university to choose!

Really confused between BU and UCD!
Can you please tell me when did you apply and when did they send you a response for your admission in Drexel? Many thanks!

Hi All

Not yet... We apply for one after we commit to a program right?

Called UMich today to inquire about scholarships and financial aid packages and was told I received a 50% tuition waiver!!
May I ask is the tuition support considered to be need-based or merit-based scholarship? I'm also expecting some tuition support from Michigan. I emailed the admission office asking them about merit-based scholarships(Since I'm international applicant so not qualified for need-based), they suggested me to reach out to Nancy Francis, the program coordinator for such inquiries. It has been three days since I emailed the program coordinator and haven't heard back yet...

Not yet... We apply for one after we commit to a program right?
Yeah, I think so. I haven't committed either but I am pretty much set on Columbia. However, because of this whole situation I am not sure if I should accept or defer by a year. I am quite worried about the travel ban, visa, etc...

Hi guys,

I am asking a few questions about the Saint Louis University (SLU) Public Health program on behalf of my friend.

Her questions:
1. Does SLU offer good GA/RA/TA positions and provide equal opportunities to all students?
2. Do they have funding for research?
3. Is there any cancer research center or infectious disease research center where research opportunities will be provided for students without research experience?

Your advice or suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you for your help!

[Advice] MPH Program- Columbia vs. Emory?

Hi all,
I was accepted into both Emory and Columbia's HPM program for the upcoming year and I am trying to decide where to go. Any advice/opinions?

I did not receive financial aid from either program (big bummer). I'm looking to most likely get my PhD after my masters, but that is still TBD. Toss ups include the fact that Emory is by the CDC and has a mental health certificate (which I am interested in specializing in), while Columbia is in NYC and is *Columbia.*

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

THANK YOU!!

Hi, your stats look really great!

I have very similar stats to yours and was offered a full-ride merit scholarship for the DME program (which I think they offer based on just your gpa and gre scores though I'm not sure), so I'm very confused!

I know the program is quite small, so it's possible that if you applied after the priority deadline, that the program was filled? I applied for the Dec 15 deadline, but I know they ended up extending it to Jan 15.