Nov 11, 2019
Status
Non-Student
[Advice] MPH Program- Columbia vs. Emory?

Hi all,
I was accepted into both Emory and Columbia's HPM program for the upcoming year and I am trying to decide where to go. Any advice/opinions?

I did not receive financial aid from either program (big bummer). I'm looking to most likely get my PhD after my masters, but that is still TBD. Toss ups include the fact that Emory is by the CDC and has a mental health certificate (which I am interested in specializing in), while Columbia is in NYC and is *Columbia.*

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Hey same question but for Epi! If anyone has any advice or opinions on Columbia vs. Emory I'd love to hear anything and everything! I'm specifically curious about opportunities being in NY vs. Atlanta, faculty support at Columbia, and cohort/classroom sizes at Columbia if anyone knows anything about that. I'm also curious about how much that *Columbia* factor can help when finding a job in the future and networking (Madicattt excellent use of asterisks btw, I was figuring out how to get across that via text and this is perfect).

Also I'm going to try to reach out to one of the current students on the list the Epi department sent out, so if anyone has specific questions, let me know!

Thanks in advance you all rock!!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey guys! Hope you are all doing fine. I think I am going to commit to the University of Washington. Is there anyone committing there? I was also wondering if there is a Facebook group for the students accepted into their MPH program? Any idea about the average rental price in Seattle? Thank you in advance!
Someone already summarized it well, but Seattle, WA is expensive but not as bad as LA or NYC. You can definitely find a reasonably priced place near campus but chances are you will have to room with another individual. Your place will most likely be quite old, but if you're spending the majority time outside it's really not that bad. I paid $550/Month and split an old studio with a friend and lived 3 minutes from campus, which was really convenient. The UW also has an agreement/contract with Sound Transit so your Husky Card actually serves as an unlimited bus/link rail pass. Since the public transportation is well maintained here many students also live outside of the general area and just bus. If you prefer to live alone I would do some research regarding MFTE units!

About the Ads
Oct 28, 2019
Status
It has definitely been an odd 2-3 weeks, but I had a lot of time to simply sit and think. After speaking with the program director, family, friends, etc. I decided to withdraw my verbal commitment to Emory University RSPH - HPM and submit my deposit at GW Milken Institute SPH to pursue an MHA! :)

Sep 1, 2019
Has anyone received financial aid info from UNC or Hopkins?

Reactions: krpaek
Dec 10, 2019
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Nothing from UNC yet :( been checking everyday, but I think with COVID, everything may be a bit behind.

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Haven't heard anything from Hopkins yet. Trying to buy time because another school wants me to respond ASAP on if I'm accepting their offer :/

Reactions: SunshineWings
Sep 1, 2019
Nothing from UNC yet :( been checking everyday, but I think with COVID, everything may be a bit behind.
Haven't heard anything from Hopkins yet. Trying to buy time because another school wants me to respond ASAP on if I'm accepting their offer :/
Thanks for confirming, it's been difficult trying to make any decisions without having anything from either school :(

Mar 17, 2020
Status
I heard about a merit scholarship for Hopkins MPH, but I just got the email a couple of weeks ago so maybe they're still sending offers out!

Reactions: hujkw
OP
rap15

rap15

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2017
It has definitely been an odd 2-3 weeks, but I had a lot of time to simply sit and think. After speaking with the program director, family, friends, etc. I decided to withdraw my verbal commitment to Emory University RSPH - HPM and submit my deposit at GW Milken Institute SPH to pursue an MHA! :)
See you in the fall!! I’ll be in MPH Health Policy but we’ll probably cross paths!

Reactions: jparky
Dec 11, 2019
Whoa dude, congratulations! Sad we won’t be classmates but I’m happy for you :) best of luck with everything in the future!

Reactions: jparky
Oct 28, 2019
Status
See you in the fall!! I’ll be in MPH Health Policy but we’ll probably cross paths!
Yes! I’ll probably end up reaching out to you in a few weeks to inquire about apartments/neighborhoods . Hope to connect in the Fall!

Whoa dude, congratulations! Sad we won’t be classmates but I’m happy for you :) best of luck with everything in the future!
Thank you! It was a difficult decision but happy it’s over with. I’m sure you’ll love Emory—I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews!

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Hopkins aid package just went up for me - to anyone who is still checking for that.

Reactions: snemph
About the Ads
Sep 1, 2019
Hopkins aid package just went up for me - to anyone who is still checking for that.
Was it on the SIS website? I've still not gotten anything :/

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Yeah it was on the SIS thing, I clicked on financial aid -> view financial aid -> Menu and then there were a ton of options to click on that weren't there earlier. They were the stingiest program in terms of work-study for me (which is really the only federal aid grad students can get that isn't loans), but hopefully there will be better news for you!

Sep 1, 2019
Yeah it was on the SIS thing, I clicked on financial aid -> view financial aid -> Menu and then there were a ton of options to click on that weren't there earlier. They were the stingiest program in terms of work-study for me (which is really the only federal aid grad students can get that isn't loans), but hopefully there will be better news for you!
Thank you, I'll keep checking on it. And sorry about the work-study, I know Hopkins can be really expensive but I didn't know they were stingy that sucks

fsch500

2+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2017
Status
When did you get your SIS ID? I was admitted quite a while back but don't think I got it unless I lost it in my email

Sep 1, 2019
When did you get your SIS ID? I was admitted quite a while back but don't think I got it unless I lost it in my email
I got mine on Feb 18 but you should be able to reach out to [email protected] and ask for your SIS ID

May 22, 2018
I have a question for those admitted to Johns Hopkins and are waiting for financial aid. In my portal, the homepage says "2020-2021 financial aid award notifications will begin in March. Please wait until you receive email instructions before accepting/declining your aid in SIS. If no aid is listed for you, it means we are still reviewing your file. Please be patient, you will hear from us shortly." However, as someone mentioned earlier, I was able to see the additional options in the dropdown menu (e.g. Accept Awards, View Awards, Disbursements, etc). Does anyone know if my financial aid package is complete?

Reactions: snemph

fsch500

2+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2017
Status
I got mine on Feb 18 but you should be able to reach out to [email protected] and ask for your SIS ID
I have a question for those admitted to Johns Hopkins and are waiting for financial aid. In my portal, the homepage says "2020-2021 financial aid award notifications will begin in March. Please wait until you receive email instructions before accepting/declining your aid in SIS. If no aid is listed for you, it means we are still reviewing your file. Please be patient, you will hear from us shortly." However, as someone mentioned earlier, I was able to see the additional options in the dropdown menu (e.g. Accept Awards, View Awards, Disbursements, etc). Does anyone know if my financial aid package is complete?
Sorry I'm a bit confused. I got an email from JHU saying that they haven't sent out the JHU ED IDs or SIS IDs yet and will only do so over the summer. Is this is a department thing or am I missing something here?

fsch500

2+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2017
Status
Dealing with Hopkins financial aid has been a nightmare. It’s like talking to a brick wall. I’m worried I won’t get any aid now because I’m struggling to communicate with them & send my documents. Really anxious right now.
Sorry to hear :/ I don't know if this adds to anything you already heard from them but in my emails with financial aid, the office is taking a bit longer this time around due to the COVID situation. They also told me that it will take 4-6 weeks after a "complete application" before posting any reward.

About the Ads
Jan 31, 2020
Status
I am having THE hardest time trying to decide where to go (as I'm sure many others are as well). I know there are so many different opinions about the MPH degree itself, saying it's not worth the debt, big names don't matter etc... and so I'm starting to even second guess the degree...I still 100% want to work in global health nutrition/policy/economics, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should pursue a different degree to get me there, especially since my undergrad is in public health. With all this social distancing giving me endless time to think and no ability to tour the schools, I have found myself starting to second guess the MPH, its value, and the programs I have applied to. So I would just like some input on my situation. Also, even though I have received scholarships from GW and Yale, I will still be taking out loans no matter where I go. Basically this is where I'm torn:
Yale MPH vs GW MPH vs Tufts School of Nutrition

Yale MPH in Social & Behavioral: everyone of my family members/close friends says to pick Yale because of the name and connections you get from it. I see the reasoning in this, and have spoken to Yale alum both within MPH and outside the school of public health, who all say the connections and Yale community is incredible. I also really like the ability to take classes in other schools at Yale, there are a few classes in the Law School I would love to take. But again, I've seen so many posts about how an MPH from an Ivy isn't the same as say, an MBA or other grad degree from the same school, and name doesn't really matter in public health. However, if I chose Yale, I would also complete a second masters concurrently, the MA degree in International Development Economics. The kicker is that this MA degree provides no internal funding/financial aid, so that is another year of school at 48k tuition + living expenses. However, a lot of the jobs that alum of this degree hold are in the UN and such organizations, and a long term goal of mine is to work at the World Bank, so I think having that Economics degree will be really beneficial and worth the investment. But I don't know if the Yale MPH degree is worth the same, so part of me thinks I should just forego the MPH and just do the MA in development economics (apply this cycle and start next year - also gives me another year to save money, and the MA degree is only one year). But then who is to say I will be accepted next year for the economics program and by then I will have thrown away my concrete acceptances. Basically, I'm worried that I won't see a return on my investment from the Yale MPH in SBS alone. There are a few professors there whom I would love to work under doing research, I worry I won't have real job outcomes at the end of my experience at Yale with just the MPH.

GW MPH in Global Health Program Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation: This degree plus the fact that I am in DC really attracts me because it seems like a very practical degree that will enable me to get real jobs both during my MPH education and after I graduate. I have spoken to two alumni of this degree who are in the workforce and pursuing jobs that I know I would enjoy. However, my hang-up is that while I may have a plethora of jobs at my finger tips because I am in DC, will this degree get me the BEST job? Sort of quantity over quality is what I see. In turn, while I would get the practical experience, there really aren't any research projects or professors that particularly stand out to me or that I would want to work under. So while I will get more practical experience than I think I would with any other program I've applied to, I would forego any major research interests of mine.

Tufts School of Nutrition: I was accepted into a dual degree at Tufts- MPH in Public Health Nutrition and MS in Agriculture, Food and Environment. However, the Tufts MPH program is not as enticing to me as the other MPH program to which I have been accepted, so if I chose Tufts, I would elect to only pursue the MS degree. After completing the MS, I would either seek out an accelerated MPH program perhaps from Harvard or Hopkins, or apply to Yale's MA in International Development Economics. The graduates of the Tufts Nutrition school go onto work for such organizations as FAO and World Bank and so this seems like the right fit for me. However, I have yet to receive any aid whatsoever from Tufts and have read that they don't give a lot of aid. Taking out full loans for two years to live and study in Boston is a little daunting, especially if I would then pursue another degree afterwards. Otherwise, I think the Tufts nutrition degree and the research being done there aligns well with what I am interested in.

My dream school would be the Yale community and economics degree, in DC, combined with the Tufts Nutrition degree, and of course entirely paid for...lol... of course that is not the reality so I just want to make the best decision. Being 100% honest, I think there is a part of me that says obviously I have to go with the Ivy (and that's what everyone else says to me, "it's Yale!") while then the less starry-eyed side of me says I should pick GW or Tufts. And THEN there is still a third side of me who says to reconsider the programs I have already put in the "not going" column - Emory, Columbia, UNC, Berkeley. Even though none of them have given me aid and I've put them in that column for a lot of valid reasons.

Basically, I have no idea where to go and have less than a month to decide. I just want the best possible job outcomes with no regret or wondering if I picked the right program, and the best return on my investment. I wish there was a magic all-knowing ball to show me what my life would be like with each program!

Reactions: BelieveMCH08
Jan 31, 2020
Status
If I were in your shoes, I'd have choose very practical GWU accelerated MPH (1 year) and then, try my luck/skills to find jobs and/or go for Yale Econ MA. Very simple.
This is interesting advice! The GW degree I am currently in for is in-person full two year program, and seeing as I have less than 2 years work experience, even if I tried to switch, I am not sure I would qualify for the accelerated degree?

May 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I am having THE hardest time trying to decide where to go (as I'm sure many others are as well). I know there are so many different opinions about the MPH degree itself, saying it's not worth the debt, big names don't matter etc... and so I'm starting to even second guess the degree...I still 100% want to work in global health nutrition/policy/economics, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should pursue a different degree to get me there, especially since my undergrad is in public health. With all this social distancing giving me endless time to think and no ability to tour the schools, I have found myself starting to second guess the MPH, its value, and the programs I have applied to. So I would just like some input on my situation. Also, even though I have received scholarships from GW and Yale, I will still be taking out loans no matter where I go. Basically this is where I'm torn:

Yale MPH in Social & Behavioral: everyone of my family members/close friends says to pick Yale because of the name and connections you get from it. I see the reasoning in this, and have spoken to Yale alum both within MPH and outside the school of public health, who all say the connections and Yale community is incredible. I also really like the ability to take classes in other schools at Yale, there are a few classes in the Law School I would love to take. But again, I've seen so many posts about how an MPH from an Ivy isn't the same as say, an MBA or other grad degree from the same school, and name doesn't really matter in public health. However, if I chose Yale, I would also complete a second masters concurrently, the MA degree in International Development Economics. The kicker is that this MA degree provides no internal funding/financial aid, so that is another year of school at 48k tuition + living expenses. However, a lot of the jobs that alum of this degree hold are in the UN and such organizations, and a long term goal of mine is to work at the World Bank, so I think having that Economics degree will be really beneficial and worth the investment. But I don't know if the Yale MPH degree is worth the same, so part of me thinks I should just forego the MPH and just do the MA in development economics (apply this cycle and start next year - also gives me another year to save money, and the MA degree is only one year). But then who is to say I will be accepted next year for the economics program and by then I will have thrown away my concrete acceptances. Basically, I'm worried that I won't see a return on my investment from the Yale MPH in SBS alone. There are a few professors there whom I would love to work under doing research, I worry I won't have real job outcomes at the end of my experience at Yale with just the MPH.

GW MPH in Global Health Program Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation: This degree plus the fact that I am in DC really attracts me because it seems like a very practical degree that will enable me to get real jobs both during my MPH education and after I graduate. I have spoken to two alumni of this degree who are in the workforce and pursuing jobs that I know I would enjoy. However, my hang-up is that while I may have a plethora of jobs at my finger tips because I am in DC, will this degree get me the BEST job? Sort of quantity over quality is what I see. In turn, while I would get the practical experience, there really aren't any research projects or professors that particularly stand out to me or that I would want to work under. So while I will get more practical experience than I think I would with any other program I've applied to, I would forego any major research interests of mine.

Tufts School of Nutrition: I was accepted into a dual degree at Tufts- MPH in Public Health Nutrition and MS in Agriculture, Food and Environment. However, the Tufts MPH program is not as enticing to me as the other MPH program to which I have been accepted, so if I chose Tufts, I would elect to only pursue the MS degree. After completing the MS, I would either seek out an accelerated MPH program perhaps from Harvard or Hopkins, or apply to Yale's MA in International Development Economics. The graduates of the Tufts Nutrition school go onto work for such organizations as FAO and World Bank and so this seems like the right fit for me. However, I have yet to receive any aid whatsoever from Tufts and have read that they don't give a lot of aid. Taking out full loans for two years to live and study in Boston is a little daunting, especially if I would then pursue another degree afterwards. Otherwise, I think the Tufts nutrition degree and the research being done there aligns well with what I am interested in.

My dream school would be the Yale community and economics degree, in DC, combined with the Tufts Nutrition degree, and of course entirely paid for...lol... of course that is not the reality so I just want to make the best decision. Being 100% honest, I think there is a part of me that says obviously I have to go with the Ivy (and that's what everyone else says to me, "it's Yale!") while then the less starry-eyed side of me says I should pick GW or Tufts. And THEN there is still a third side of me who says to reconsider the programs I have already put in the "not going" column - Emory, Columbia, UNC, Berkeley. Even though none of them have given me aid and I've put them in that column for a lot of valid reasons.

Basically, I have no idea where to go and have less than a month to decide. I just want the best possible job outcomes with no regret or wondering if I picked the right program, and the best return on my investment. I wish there was a magic all-knowing ball to show me what my life would be like with each program!
Have you considered the MHS in Global Health Economics at Hopkins? Sounds like it might fit your interests. Master of Health Science in Global Health Economics (MHS)

Reactions: amr2297
Jan 31, 2020
Status
Reactions: KBPsych
May 22, 2018
Sorry I'm a bit confused. I got an email from JHU saying that they haven't sent out the JHU ED IDs or SIS IDs yet and will only do so over the summer. Is this is a department thing or am I missing something here?
I was accepted into the 11-month MPH program and received an email containing my SIS ID on 2/13/2020.

May 22, 2018
Sorry to hear :/ I don't know if this adds to anything you already heard from them but in my emails with financial aid, the office is taking a bit longer this time around due to the COVID situation. They also told me that it will take 4-6 weeks after a "complete application" before posting any reward.
Did they define what a "complete application" is?

Sep 24, 2019
Status
Anyone still waiting on Columbia scholarship information? Does anyone know of additional funding options that may come as awards get redistributed once prospective students decline their offers?

Dec 17, 2019
Anyone still waiting on Columbia scholarship information? Does anyone know of additional funding options that may come as awards get redistributed once prospective students decline their offers?
I am still waiting too, but at this point I doubt that I will get anything...

May 22, 2018
Update for Hopkins. I received an email earlier regarding the completion of my financial aid package. I guess it is official once they email you.

Sep 1, 2019
I'm not sure what department you're in but I think they sent out the SIS sometime between late January and end of February, It's definitely worth reaching out to ask either your department or the financial aid office

About the Ads
Sep 1, 2019
Update for Hopkins. I received an email earlier regarding the completion of my financial aid package. I guess it is official once they email you.
Thanks for the update! I still got nothing :(

Oct 20, 2019
Status

Hi amr2297,

I resonate with this so deeply! I am currently mainly trying to decide between GW and Harvard. I initially thought it would be an easy decision. GW very generously offered me a scholarship which would cover my full tuition, while Harvard did not offer anything. I initially wasn't going to consider Harvard at all, but after speaking with some current students at the program there I am re-considering. It sounds like the program provides very good training in quantitative and qualitative research skills and also has a very supportive community (amongst the cohort and the professors) and a really great network with many opportunities to get involved with interesting research. I don't know as much about the GW program yet because I still need to talk to students who have gone through the program. However, my impression is that I would be able to find the same things at GW. The GW program does seem to value professional experience more, with most of the students working while studying starting from first semester. I feel like the opportunity to work with the global health organizations that are in DC whilst studying would be an amazing opportunity, but also worry that work will take away from my academics (though of course sometimes you can develop skills better through work vs school). I feel like this should be a no-brainer as Harvard would be ~$50k more expensive per year, but I am still struggling to make a decision.

Sorry this isn't all that useful since I am still very confused, but just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat and understand your struggle!

Mar 23, 2020
Status
Follow up question! So I was accepted to the MPH - Epidemiology program at NYU, Penn State, Rutgers, and UIC but I'm having a really tough time figuring out which school is better in terms of the experience and education. If anyone has any advice or input regarding the pros/cons of any of these programs, I would love to hear it!! Thanks guys :D

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Just got the email from Hopkins financial aid as well, although nothing had changed for my awards since I checked it yesterday.

May 22, 2018
Thanks for the update! I still got nothing :(
Hopefully, they'll get to you soon! This wait is getting unbearable because we are expected to make our decisions soon amidst this COVID-19 pandemonium. I key point I wanted to make is that if you aren't considered for a merit scholarship now, it may not be the end-all-be-all. There are plenty of bright-minded individuals who got scholarships to multiple universities. In other words, after they commit, there will be pools of unawarded capital for numerous universities. Of course, the schools can choose to hold on to it or they can redistribute them to deserving candidates. If your top choice didn't give you any funding, it is worth sending their office of financial aid an email, closer to commit date, asking for an appeal. You can find plenty of advice on how to write such a statement in some of the earlier pages of this forum, but since I am planning to compose one myself, here is a nice summary from @zvarn.

"I appealed based on what previous years have suggested once I was awarded an initial amount of financial aid. Past forums haven't been the best about updating whether or not this has worked for them (people fall off posting once they commit), but I'll try my best to let you know if anything comes out of my various appeals. Here's the basic formula I used for Columbia:

1. Explain to them that their school is your top choice due to x, y, z
2. Thank them graciously for the amount they have offered.
3. Indicate that your choice in commitment will ultimately come down to funding. If you've been awarded a substantial amount to somewhere else: "another top program has awarded me x amount, which will reduce my yearly tuition to y amount." You could also bring up your income here (I did) or cost of living differences.
4. Don't ask directly about matching an offer, I said something along the lines of "avenues of alternative funding" or something like that. Ask straight up for the appeal though!

Remember that you've worked really hard to get where you are, and you deserve access to higher education." [email protected]

For me, I wasn't offered any grant aid, so I will use the advice that applies to my situation. Hope this helps!

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Hopefully, they'll get to you soon! This wait is getting unbearable because we are expected to make our decisions soon amidst this COVID-19 pandemonium. I key point I wanted to make is that if you aren't considered for a merit scholarship now, it may not be the end-all-be-all. There are plenty of bright-minded individuals who got scholarships to multiple universities. In other words, after they commit, there will be pools of unawarded capital for numerous universities. Of course, the schools can choose to hold on to it or they can redistribute them to deserving candidates. If your top choice didn't give you any funding, it is worth sending their office of financial aid an email, closer to commit date, asking for an appeal. You can find plenty of advice on how to write such a statement in some of the earlier pages of this forum, but since I am planning to compose one myself, here is a nice summary from @zvarn.

"I appealed based on what previous years have suggested once I was awarded an initial amount of financial aid. Past forums haven't been the best about updating whether or not this has worked for them (people fall off posting once they commit), but I'll try my best to let you know if anything comes out of my various appeals. Here's the basic formula I used for Columbia:

1. Explain to them that their school is your top choice due to x, y, z
2. Thank them graciously for the amount they have offered.
3. Indicate that your choice in commitment will ultimately come down to funding. If you've been awarded a substantial amount to somewhere else: "another top program has awarded me x amount, which will reduce my yearly tuition to y amount." You could also bring up your income here (I did) or cost of living differences.
4. Don't ask directly about matching an offer, I said something along the lines of "avenues of alternative funding" or something like that. Ask straight up for the appeal though!

Remember that you've worked really hard to get where you are, and you deserve access to higher education." [email protected]

For me, I wasn't offered any grant aid, so I will use the advice that applies to my situation. Hope this helps!
Thanks for pulling up this post again! I am drafting a financial aid appeal right now. Does anyone know if it's appropriate to mention a.) job losses as a result of COVID-19 and/or b.) reiterate accomplishments that make you stand out? I know they can see my application but I'm worried they'll just look at the email and not reexamine my application. Also, is this just addressed to the office of financial aid or someone else?

Thank you!!

May 22, 2018
Thanks for pulling up this post again! I am drafting a financial aid appeal right now. Does anyone know if it's appropriate to mention a.) job losses as a result of COVID-19 and/or b.) reiterate accomplishments that make you stand out? I know they can see my application but I'm worried they'll just look at the email and not reexamine my application. Also, is this just addressed to the office of financial aid or someone else?

Thank you!!
Glad to be of assistance. My $0.02 is this. If the issues you raise can add to your overall argument, I say go for it. Ultimately, it is all about how it is worded and if done correctly, it can persuade them. I will caution against reiterating achievements or stats that were already in your application package and reviewed by the offices of admissions and financial aid. I am sure they will have to reopen your file and reevaluate it because it is unlikely that they will remember your academic and extracurricular laurels. Instead, if you have any notable achievements in the time since you were admitted, I would mention those.

Of course, as you mentioned, they could just ignore your, my, or anyone's email completely. This may be independent of anything you bring up in the email because it may be a policy--not redistributing merit aid--that they enforce at their institution. It's worth a shot, though.

Hope this helps!

OP
rap15

rap15

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2017
Oh boy! I officially officially did it. GWU see you in the fall!

Feb 20, 2020
Hi everyone! Anyone else accepted at LSHTM? I actually just got into their new MSc in Health Data Science. I’m a little confused/torn because my other best option is the Yale MPH in chronic disease epidemiology. They’re obviously very different, but what I want out of the degree is a solid background in statistics and health data methods and to get involved in interesting research, which I think both could provide. This course at LSHTM is one year, cheaper, and seems to lean a little more “professional”. I’m from the U.S. but my partner is based in London currently. I would really, really appreciate hearing any opinions or chatting with anyone who applied in London! I hope you’re all staying as safe as possible!

Feb 11, 2020
Status
Hi everyone! Anyone else accepted at LSHTM? I actually just got into their new MSc in Health Data Science. I’m a little confused/torn because my other best option is the Yale MPH in chronic disease epidemiology. They’re obviously very different, but what I want out of the degree is a solid background in statistics and health data methods and to get involved in interesting research, which I think both could provide. This course at LSHTM is one year, cheaper, and seems to lean a little more “professional”. I’m from the U.S. but my partner is based in London currently. I would really, really appreciate hearing any opinions or chatting with anyone who applied in London! I hope you’re all staying as safe as possible!
Hi! I'm also accepted at LSHTM - MSc in Health Policy, Planning + Financing (joint program with LSE). I'm still trying to decide between that program or Accelerated MPH at Columbia.

I'm actually leaning towards LSTHM for a lot of reasons:
- The price, as you mentioned, is significantly less. I don't know what the cost of living is at Yale, but at least between Columbia and LSHTM, while they're both in expensive cities, the total CoA I received from both schools still made LSHTM less expensive.
- LSHTM will provide a more global health perspective while Columbia is likely to be US-focused - and my dream is to work in global health policy for the UN, Gates Foundation, etc.
- I like the idea of being with students with professional experience (as I also have been working for a few years) and with international experience (as I've lived outside the US for 10 years although I am American).
- Finally, I think because LSHTM is so specialized, when you speak about it to people outside of public health, they don't know it. So there's this factor of: I need to go to the name-recognized school. I was battling internally a lot with that because Columbia is *Columbia*. But LSHTM is without a doubt the best public health school in Europe and a lot of friends I have working for the UN in Geneva have done their MPHs there.

I hope that helps! Please reach out if you want to discuss more and if you decide on going there! I haven't committed yet but I'm super close :)

Reactions: k16c
Jan 24, 2020
Status
I was told by financial aid that all institutional/departmental awards have already been given out- the office of fin aid starts reviewing packages for grad students in April and can not guarantee that you will have it before decision deadline.. also mentioned that the only thing that will be on that award, if you haven't received an institutional/departmental award, is the amount of loans that you are approved for
Pretty disappointing as I really feel like having cost of attendance is an important thing to have before making a decision..

Jan 24, 2020
Status
Hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected in these crazy times!
Like many of you, I am really struggling to decide between schools.. I do eventually plan on getting a PhD

I did have someone (who went to UNC for her MPH and has since worked at Harvard, Dartmouth, and CDC) tell me that ranking of your MPH program is the first thing that PhD admissions committees look at and is the most important.. it just all felt kind of elitist and I'm hoping that's not really accurate? wondering if anyone has any insight on that?

I am torn between Drexel and UNC- I am not familiar with the Philly/Drexel area and will not be able to visit before making a decision because of everything that is going on with COVID-19 so I would love to get any insight that people many have on the school/area- I do like that it is right between NYC and DC.

Drexel- I have received a merit scholarship and fellowship which means I would only have to take out $20k or less in loans for the entire program- I really like some of the faculty that I could potentially be matched with and the fellowship allows me to do research on the same project for the entire 18month duration of the program- Which I would imagine would be a major benefit when applying to PhD programs

UNC- I LOVED the campus when I visited and really enjoyed all of my conversations with faculty and staff. I think that it has everything that I am looking for and I could absolutely see myself living there but I am not sure I am willing to commit the extra money. I have no idea when I would be able to secure research (funding), worst case scenario I would have to take out $91k, best case I would be taking out $43k.. so best case scenario it is two times as expensive, I keep getting caught up on the rankings and the fact that I could absolutely see myself living there but I just don't know if the extra money is worth it if I don't even know what my research portfolio would look like leaving..

Dec 10, 2019
Status
Hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected in these crazy times!
Like many of you, I am really struggling to decide between schools.. I do eventually plan on getting a PhD

I did have someone (who went to UNC for her MPH and has since worked at Harvard, Dartmouth, and CDC) tell me that ranking of your MPH program is the first thing that PhD admissions committees look at and is the most important.. it just all felt kind of elitist and I'm hoping that's not really accurate? wondering if anyone has any insight on that?

I am torn between Drexel and UNC- I am not familiar with the Philly/Drexel area and will not be able to visit before making a decision because of everything that is going on with COVID-19 so I would love to get any insight that people many have on the school/area- I do like that it is right between NYC and DC.

Drexel- I have received a merit scholarship and fellowship which means I would only have to take out $20k or less in loans for the entire program- I really like some of the faculty that I could potentially be matched with and the fellowship allows me to do research on the same project for the entire 18month duration of the program- Which I would imagine would be a major benefit when applying to PhD programs

UNC- I LOVED the campus when I visited and really enjoyed all of my conversations with faculty and staff. I think that it has everything that I am looking for and I could absolutely see myself living there but I am not sure I am willing to commit the extra money. I have no idea when I would be able to secure research (funding), worst case scenario I would have to take out $91k, best case I would be taking out $43k.. so best case scenario it is two times as expensive, I keep getting caught up on the rankings and the fact that I could absolutely see myself living there but I just don't know if the extra money is worth it if I don't even know what my research portfolio would look like leaving..
Why would you be taking out 91k in loans at UNC? If you're out of state, I'm pretty sure you can apply for in-state tuition rates for your second year which is very common among all out of state students, and the school helps students to get this set up. So I think the 91k would be a little less?

Reactions: bittybettysmith
Jan 31, 2020
Status
Hi amr2297,

I resonate with this so deeply! I am currently mainly trying to decide between GW and Harvard. I initially thought it would be an easy decision. GW very generously offered me a scholarship which would cover my full tuition, while Harvard did not offer anything. I initially wasn't going to consider Harvard at all, but after speaking with some current students at the program there I am re-considering. It sounds like the program provides very good training in quantitative and qualitative research skills and also has a very supportive community (amongst the cohort and the professors) and a really great network with many opportunities to get involved with interesting research. I don't know as much about the GW program yet because I still need to talk to students who have gone through the program. However, my impression is that I would be able to find the same things at GW. The GW program does seem to value professional experience more, with most of the students working while studying starting from first semester. I feel like the opportunity to work with the global health organizations that are in DC whilst studying would be an amazing opportunity, but also worry that work will take away from my academics (though of course sometimes you can develop skills better through work vs school). I feel like this should be a no-brainer as Harvard would be ~$50k more expensive per year, but I am still struggling to make a decision.

Sorry this isn't all that useful since I am still very confused, but just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat and understand your struggle!
Glad to know I'm not alone! I definitely like that at GW I could start working in the field while earning my degree but again I guess I keep coming back to quantity vs quality - maybe I will have plenty of jobs to choose from with GW but maybe I will get the best job from Yale... hoping I have some epiphany in the next couple weeks or something in their virtual admitted student days just resonates with me enough to go one way or another..

Nov 18, 2019
Status
I got the graduate opportunity fellowship at UCLA, which amounts to fees/tuition coverage and a 20k stipend!!! I'm honestly in total shock.

Dec 11, 2019
Status
Non-Student
If anyone is waiting to hear from the Emory Maternal and Child Health certificate program, I emailed the program coordinator, and we should be hearing decisions this week. Congrats to everyone on this thread, good luck to those who are still making decisions, and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!

Aug 4, 2019
Status
If anyone is waiting to hear from the Emory Maternal and Child Health certificate program, I emailed the program coordinator, and we should be hearing decisions this week. Congrats to everyone on this thread, good luck to those who are still making decisions, and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!
I just got admitted a few minutes ago. I guess that email was a good reminder

About the Ads