MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad School: International Medical Graduate
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.54 (WES evaluation)
Major/Minor: MD
GradGPA (if applicable): -
Grad Studies (if applicable): -
GRE (9/29): Q162 V149 AW 3.0
TOEFL: 102

Experience/Research:
  1. 6 Years of clinical experience (including 3 years in Medical study)
  2. 1 Year served as a general partitioner in district hospital
  3. 1 Year served as a general partitioner in cancer center
  4. 1 Year served as a general partitioner in university hospital
  5. Research on Factors Associated with Medication Non-adherence of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus - published in Outbreak Surveillance & Investigation Reports (OSIR), September 2017
  6. Regularly participated in local and international student-led organisations, student committee and medical student union when I was in medical school
  7. Regularly joined mobile medical services in underserved area
  8. Medical volunteer of the Royal Cremation of the late King Bhumibhol of Thailand
LOR: Dean of my medical school, Microbiology professor, Preventive medicine professor (JHU alumni), My current hospital vice director
Special factors:
  • English as a second language
  • Second- generation college graduate
  • Almost all of the program I applied are 1-year accelerated
  • Medical Student of the Year Award granted by Thai Medical Council
Interested in: Health management, Healthcare system and Health policy
Applied: Harvard (11/9), Columbia (11/9), JHU (11/9), UNC (11/18), Emory (11/18), UMN (11/18), BU (11/18)
Accepted: UMN-PHAP (12/13) with scholarship offer, BU (12/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hi, I just got into UMN. How did you hear about any scholarship/funding offers?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's program-specific. I applied Epi and one of the program heads said they'll likely be sending them out in late Jan/early Feb.

Is anyone who is applying to Colorado nervous about how they allocated financial aid?? I was reading the thread from last year about how late they let people know about acceptances and aid and it really puts me off.

Members don't see this ad :)

Same with Cassatrass here. I applied for PHAP, the director have reached out to me with the scholarship offer before I got the official acceptance letter.

Is anyone who is applying to Colorado nervous about how they allocated financial aid?? I was reading the thread from last year about how late they let people know about acceptances and aid and it really puts me off.
I applied to Colorado last year. They gave me a diversity scholarship in late April, after I had already declined their admissions offer and submitted a deposit to the school I'm at now. It wasn't a big scholarship, and I never actually heard about loans or merit based scholarships. I called their offices, and they seemed confused that I would need this information before deciding whether or not to enroll. If they are one of your top choices, my advice would be to stay patient. Hopefully you can get offers from other schools to leverage with them.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to Colorado last year. They gave me a diversity scholarship in late April, after I had already declined their admissions offer and submitted a deposit to the school I'm at now. It wasn't a big scholarship, and I never actually heard about loans or merit based scholarships. I called their offices, and they seemed confused that I would need this information before deciding whether or not to enroll. If they are one of your top choices, my advice would be to stay patient. Hopefully you can get offers from other schools to leverage with them.
When did Colorado start sending decisions? Colorado sent me a completion email on Dec 8th.

Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38, though this as not accurate as my school included many CR/NC courses and those grades are not included in official transcript.
Major/Minor: Biology Maj/no minor
GRE (including date taken): Taken 12/01/17 - Q: 151 (43%) V: 168 (98%) W: 5 (93%)

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  1. Currently work as primary clinical research coordinator at a public university for HIV+ HPV translational trials (1 year).
  2. Veterinary technician, general practice (2.5 years).
  3. Organizer with local social justice groups (1 year).
  4. Marine biology research (.5 years).
  5. Teaching assistant and writing tutor in undergrad (2 years).

LOR: Principal Investigator/boss for current CRC job, Cell Biology Professor/Mentor, Animal Behavior Professor (oversaw my senior project).

Special Factors: Out LGBTQ individual, multiracial, concussion senior year of undergrad that affected coursework

Interested in: LGBTQ healthcare inequalities, minority LGBTQ healthcare inequalities, Community Health, Stigma reduction.

Applied:
Mcgill University (12/15/17), Simon Fraser University (12/15/17), Louisiana State University (ver. 12/23/17), Emory (ver. 12/23/17), Drexel (ver. 12/23/17), Colorado School of Public Health CU Denver (ver. 12/23/17).

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.22
Major/Minor: Biology Major/ Spanish Minor
GRE (including date taken): Taken 05/20/17 - Q: 156 (62%) V: 160 (86%) W: 5.5 (98%)

1. Currently work at a public health lab at Columbia University doing outbreak research. I have both lab and biostats related positions in this job
  2. Did a senior thesis in college that was mostly lab related work, not quite sure if it's relevant to MPH programs though
  3. Worked in central america with public health organizations to create public health awareness campaigns and distribute hygiene products to local communities in a joint venture with Colgate

LOR: Director of the Public Health Lab at Columbia, PI at the public health lab, Senior Thesis advisor.

Special Factors: International student from India

Interested in: Infectious Disease Epidemiology.

Applied:
Applied to all 11/28/17: Columbia University (Epi, Infectious epi certificate), Boston University (Infectious Epi certificate), Johns Hopkins University (MPH), Yale University (Epi of Microbial Diseases), Emory University (Epi), University of Minnesota (Epi), University of California, Berkeley (Infectious Disease and Vaccinology)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

What do you think my chances are of getting into any of these schools? I'd ideally like to attend a school with a program that has the infectious focus I am looking for, but I still wanted to apply to general epi programs as well. Do you think all these schools are a reach? Also, what do you think is the timeline of reply from these schools? Some schools have said straight up that they won't get back to us until February, but what about others? Any ideas for these schools?

Hi, fellow soon-to-be MPH students. I have been lurking for a while but, having received my first admissions decision today, I am finally ready to come out of the shadows - hah! After submitting my apps I started to freak out: my grades are good, GRE scores are decent, but I was intimidated by all the experience people here seem to have. Now that I have one acceptance under my belt (from Minnesota, one of my top choices), I'm feeling much more hopeful.

Undergrad School:
Columbia College Chicago
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.9
Major/Minor: Cultural Studies (no minor)
GradGPA (if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable): NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 166 (97%), Q 156 (62%), W 4.0 (60% <-- I was upset about this score, as writing is one of my strongest skills.)
- 5 months as a research assistant in the epilepsy center of a pediatric hospital, primarily coordinating clinical trials.
- 2 months interning at the National Health Service in the UK, where projects included creating a study survey and contributing to a literature review on best practices relating to teenage pregnancy.
- 6 months as a volunteer research assistant on a project tracking correlation between epilepsy and autism.
- Wrote award-winning senior thesis paper on how novels and memoirs about eating disorders influence the self-perceptions and motivations of female readers with eating disorders
Special factors: Biracial daughter of a single mother.

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: I will be concentrating on maternal and child health. I am interested in social and relational health, health equity/access to care, program design and evaluation, sexual health education, and parent support. I have a particular interest in working with pregnant and parenting teens, but this isn't hard and fast.
Applied(include the date of application): University of Minnesota (12/1), University of Washington (12/1), University of Illinois at Chicago (12/2), Boston University (12/6), Tulane University (12/6)
Accepted: University of Minnesota (12/22, with a "tuition scholarship" -- essentially being offered in-state tuition as an out-of-state student), Tulane (1/5)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just opened my admission portal for Washington university saint Louis where the decision was rendered on 12 December. Accepted into MPH global health program with $60,000 global health scholarship which is their highest award. Can’t explain the feeling ... pumped

Reactions: 12 users
Ant other MDs out there that have heard back from programs?

I seriously thought I got accepted to Columbia with today’s “Welcome to New York City” email :( I wish this decisions process was a lot quicker. Happy Holidays though everyone :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously thought I got accepted to Columbia with today’s “Welcome to New York City” email :( I wish this decisions process was a lot quicker. Happy Holidays though everyone :)

So did I haha. Glad I wasn't the only one that fooled. But yeah, maybe not a good subject line for anxious applicants to receive.

Reactions: 5 users
Undergrad School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Psychology BA
GRE 150 Q / 160 V / 4.5 W

Experience/Research

• WORK
    • 1 year at an international USAID health post (sub-Sahara):
    • 1 year Peace Corps Volunteer Leader
    • 2 years Peace Corps Volunteer in Health
    • 1 semester Family Research Lab
    • 2 years managing client-relations in a small business (program management)
  • VOLUNTEER
    • 2 years IJM fundraising and advocacy department
    • 2 years Pregnancy Counselor
    • 2 years Therapeutic riding assistant for persons with disabilities
    • 1 year Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis fundraising
    • 1 year Community Emergency Response Team (with certifications)
    • 2 weeks Bangladesh Mission
    • Moore, OK disaster response
Special factors: Applying for the Coverdell PC Fellowship wherever possible. Financial aid packages will be a huge determinant.

Interested in: Program/Project management, Stat analysis, HIV, global, M+E, community-based, human rights, gender, gender violence,

Applied
(include the date of application):
  • Boston University (Oct. 31) Comm Assess and Program Design
  • George Washington U (Oct. 31) Global Health
  • Columbia (Oct 31) Sociomedical
  • Hopkins (Oct 31) Int'l Health, Social and Beh interventions
  • NYU (Oct 31) Community Health Science
  • Harvard (Nov. 30) Global Health
Accepted: GWU (11/29), BU (+18K; 12/15),
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Just opened my admission portal for Washington university saint Louis where the decision was rendered on 12 December. Accepted into MPH global health program with $60,000 global health scholarship which is their highest award. Can’t explain the feeling ... pumped
This is my first choice school!!! :eek:

Hey guys! Just found out this forum, and it really helped with my application season anxiety a lot. So I decided to share my experience and would really appreciate any comments about my chances for admission. I am an international student and I am not sure how competitive my experiences are given my background. I am applying for MPH/MS in Biostatistics (Different schools for different programs).

Undergrad School: top30 university in the US
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: BS in public health & psychology
GRE (11/21): V 149, Q 170, W 3.0 (Really upset with my verbal and writing scores, I worked really hard but each time I take the GRE my verbal score goes down, guess verbal is just not for me?)
- 3 months as a research assistant at a psychiatry hospital, doing data analysis.
- 3 months interning at a cohort study institute, identifying traumatic brain injuries in hospitalization records, in addition to data entry.
- 1 year as a volunteer research assistant in a psychology lab conducting experiments of aging effects on cognition.
- 3 month as an intern in a national public health institute in China, participating in a hygiene promotion

lor: one from R programming professor, one from epi professor, one from psyc lab professor, one from nutrition professor, one from internship supervisor(not submitted yet)

Special factors: Proficient in SAS, R, SPSS

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Chronic Disease, statistical modeling.
Applied(include the date of application): Harvard (MS 12/1), Yale(MPH 12/16), Brown (MS 12/16), BU(MS 12/16), Northwestern (MS 12/16), Columbia (MPH 12/27), Hopkins (MS 12/27), and also will apply for Georgetown, Cornell, and NYU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted

Really Nervous about my GRE verbal and writing scores, how will this impact my application? Since I am applying for biostatistics, I hope my quant score will show my math advantages. I am aware that some schools are overreaching but it is partially due to family reasons. I have been really anxious in the past a few weeks, and I am not really familiar with how graduate schools' admissions in the US work. How do you guys think my chances are? Thank you very much in advance.

Wish you guys a happy new year and good luck with your applications~

This is my first choice school!!! :eek:
I like the program and on paper it looks brilliant but am a little skeptical about the reputation of the program as it is fairly new and unranked. I am an international student so can u please enlighten me more about the program as that would help a lot witg decision making.Tia

Last edited:
Has anyone that was accepted to BU on Dec 15th gotten their official acceptance package in the mail? It's been 2 weeks and the email said 7-10 days...hmm

I like the program and on paper it looks brilliant but am a little skeptical about the reputation of the program as it is fairly new and unranked. I am an international student so can u please enlighten me more about the program as that would help a lot witg decision making.Tia
I was accepted to Wash U, so I am interested in this too. Brown school at Wash U is ranked 1st for Social Work, but unranked for Public Health. Any information on this program?

I was accepted to Wash U, so I am interested in this too. Brown school at Wash U is ranked 1st for Social Work, but unranked for Public Health. Any information on this program?
Any wash u mph student who can enlighten us on the program??

Has anyone that was accepted to BU on Dec 15th gotten their official acceptance package in the mail? It's been 2 weeks and the email said 7-10 days...hmm
When I was accepted I was told I would get my package in the beginning on January. The admissions office is closed from December 22- January 2, so it's possible they haven't mailed yours yet for some reason.

Yeah that email fooled me at first and I got nervous. I didn't even apply to Columbia! LOL

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I've been watching this thread for a while now and wanted to add my info so others can reference:

Undergrad School:
Public research university in New England
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56 (3.46 SOPHAS- doesn't include this final semester Fall 2017)
Major/Minor: Double major Biology/Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE: (10/9/17) 159V, 159Q, 4W
Experience/Research:
-Summer internship/study abroad in Peru working in cervical cancer laboratory/vaccine campaigns
-1 semester TA in quantitative methods course
-Multiple independent studies relating to public health (eating disorders, phys activity, health behav)
-Poster presentations at Psychological conferences featuring research on pub health (above)
-1 semester academic tutor for student athletes

Special factors: I graduated from college in 2.5 years through transferring AP/taking extra courses every semester

Interested in: Social/behavioral, chronic disease
Applied: Brown (behav/soc: 11/27), BU (undecided: 11/28), Columbia (sociomedical: 11/20), Dartmouth (11/3), UPenn (generalist: 11/21), Yale (SBS: end of Nov, they didn't confirm until 12/5)
Accepted: BU (email 12/21), Yale (email 1/11)
Rejected: UPenn (email 12/18)
Waitlisted:

I am excited about BU; they seem to have a lot of flexibility/options, and I also like that they were quick with their decision! I just want to know either way for the rest of them- I'm getting sick of waiting!

Last edited:
Well to be honest I am applying as an MSW/MPH dual degree which I think Wash U integrates together in a way that other schools don't. I am also interested in sexual & domestic violence which they participate in a lot of research in. I can see why for an MPH it might not be a person's first choice, but because of those other factors, it would be for me.

I just got the BU acceptance package in the mail yesterday. Could just be the mail taking longer to arrive because of the holidays.

Just received today!

Nothing yet!! But hopefully it’ll come some time this week

Does anyone know any information about the MHS in Health Economics-International Health at Hopkins? I am considering applying to the program.

My BU package came and I received the 20k one-time award!

Congratulations, me too (on 12/15/17)! Do you think you're going to accept their offer?

I probably will end up at JH. It would be very hard to turn them down. The only way I will turn them down is if I get into Harvard or Yale and they give me some good money.

Does anyone know any information about the MHS in Health Economics-International Health at Hopkins? I am considering applying to the program.
I applied. Honestly, I prefer the MPH but since I could apply with little extra effort decided to throw my hat in just in case.

My BU package came and I received the 20k one-time award!
Congrats!!It seems that is the normal grant most of us will be receiving I also got one time 20 k merit award. I find it extremely low considering the high tuition and cost of living as compared to other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Undergrad School:International from West Africa
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:3.77
Major/Minor:International medical graduate
GradGPA
(if applicable):3.48
Grad Studies (if applicable):Medical Biochemistry
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):148Q 27%,151V 51%,4.5A 60%
Experience/Research (please, be brief):4 years full time work as a medical doctor(2 years in Child Health),1 year research in molecular biology,3 months research in Maternal health
Special factors:

Interested in:Maternal and Child Health
Applied
(include the date of application):BU,Harvard,John Hopkins
Accepted:BU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Can I get admission into Johns Hopkins or Harvard? With my low GRE scores,canI get funding in any of these schools?

Undergrad School:International from West Africa
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:3.77
Major/Minor:International medical graduate
GradGPA
(if applicable):3.48
Grad Studies (if applicable):Medical Biochemistry
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):148Q 27%,151V 51%,4.5A 60%
Experience/Research (please, be brief):4 years full time work as a medical doctor(2 years in Child Health),1 year research in molecular biology,3 months research in Maternal health
Special factors:

Interested in:Maternal and Child Health
Applied
(include the date of application):BU,Harvard,John Hopkins
Accepted:BU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Can I get admission into Johns Hopkins or Harvard? With my low GRE scores,canI get funding in any of these schools?
To be honest with you with your GRE scores it is not realistic to expect that you would be getting scholarship from Hopkins or Harvard. Admission is a possibility Your GPA is average for these schools and nothing over the top experience wise. I am also an IMG with much higher GPA and test scores and I am wishing but not very confident that I would be getting any aid from these schools. You can check my profile on page 1. This is only my honest feedback and I may be totally wrong

I'm finally back in town after the holidays and got my BU package with $20k. Probably still too expensive for me unfortunately! :(

I'm finally back in town after the holidays and got my BU package with $20k. Probably still too expensive for me unfortunately! :(

Tufts actually has better placement than BU after graduation, and maybe their tuition is lower, so I'd consider looking at them too. Plus, if you want to work in Boston in the future it is totally possible to simply relocate there while looking for a job as the the rent is extremely high, especially for people going into public health. UNC, Tulane, JHU and Minnesota are really good schools with more established programs than BU which recently suffered a change in the curriculum.

Outside of Boston, the BU name isn't a big deal.

Undergrad School: International Medical Graduate MBBS
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.73 as per sophas
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
GMAT 630 ETS calculater converts to V 154 Q 166
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 8 years clinical practice experience in urban and rural setting in Pakistan including 3 years running my own private practice near a local township
3 years++ working as a Data Analyst at a pathology lab South Africa
Volunteering experience part time for last 2 year with a local NPO as a medical consultant, started it myself and arranged independant funding of medicines to the local township
Special factors:
LOR from my ex Department head at Medical University, CEO of the Pathology lab i am working for & Director of a local NGO i am volunteering for
Plenty of practical Pubic health experience
can speak 5 languages
comfortable working with STATA,SPSS etc

Please can someone evaluate my chances on getting into the programs mentioned below being an international medical graduate at an age of 38 I am worried some programs may want much younger crowd. want your honest feedback

Interested in: MPH Global health & Epidemiology
Applied
(include the date of application): Applying to JHU,Yale, Columbia, DRexel,george washington university & Washington university St. Louis

Accepted:JHU (10/21) GWU (11/02) Drexel 12/10 with deans scholarship, BU (20k merit award) Wash U. (Full tutuion award for 2 years)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Which school will you be attending?

Tufts actually has better placement than BU after graduation, and maybe their tuition is lower, so I'd consider looking at them too. Plus, if you want to work in Boston in the future it is totally possible to simply relocate there while looking for a job as the the rent is extremely high, especially for people going into public health. UNC, Tulane, JHU and Minnesota are really good schools with more established programs than BU which recently suffered a change in the curriculum.

Outside of Boston, the BU name isn't a big deal.
Thank you for the advice!

Which school will you be attending?
I have not made the final decision but the offer from WUSTL is mouth watering as it covers the full tutuion plus the research fellowship is around 10K for the program so basically the degree would not cost me anyting if I do 20 hours part time job. I am a mature student with plenty of clinical practice and data analysis experience so I think in my case finding a decent job would depend much on my skill-set, personality and networking rather than the brand of the university. Though Wash U is a top rank university with an emerging Public health program which is very flexible.

But I will still wait for funding outcome from JHU and admission and funding decisions from Harvard. Unless I get a very decent financial package from JHU or Harvard I would be attending WASH U

I am an international student and applying for MS in Epidemiology. I would like to receive comments from everyone about my chances. Thank you very much!
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.78 (WES Evaluation)
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
V 151 (52%) Q 161 (78%) AWA 4.0 (60%)
1. 4 publications (not first author): 1 in Oncotarget, 1 in Scientific Reports, 1 in PlosOne.
2. 2 case reports.
3. 3 poster presentations at the international conference.
4. 3 years as a student researcher, currently head of gynecological cancer research group at my university, work with researchers from diverse background (Japanese, Korean, Egyptian...)
5. Founder of the research club at my undergraduate university.
6. Some volunteer experiences in Youth Union.
7. Some scientific awards.
LOR: 1 from a Professor Public Health at UTHealth, 1 from Director General of Institute of Public Health, 1 from my PI, 1 from the Head of Technology, Science and International Relation at my undergrad university.
Special factors:
Valedictorian of the class of 2017.
First generation to graduate school.
Owner of two Facebook page and Youtube channels (related to Biomedicine and languages).
Can speak 5 languages: Vietnamese (native), English, French, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish.
Comfortable working with SPSS, R.

Interested in: MS Epidemiology, Cancer Epidemiology
Applied
(include the date of application): Applying to Harvard (11/30), UCLA (11/30), University of Washington (11/30), UTHealth (11/30), JHU (12/31), Columbia (12/31), Pittsburgh (12/31), BU (12/31). All MS Epi.

Accepted: Columbia (1/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Dental School in India
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56 (ECE Evaluation)
Major/Minor: Dentistry
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (May 22, 2017): Verbal: 147 (35th percentile) and Quant: 161 (78th percentile)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2 international peer reviewed publication, 2 more researches completed and publication under review, 2 more going on. One student research grant or one of the completed publication.
Held around 5 leadership positions throughout dental school, numerous conferences and paper/poster presentation. Represented India at a international conference/leadership program in Singapore.

Special factors: My research and leadership roles taken. First graduate, first doctor and first generation to pursue masters degree in India and US. I had a good SOP (I guess) because I spoke about the specific moment I decided to switch to MPH.

Interested in: Cancer epidemiology
Applied(include the date of application): Harvard TH Chan SPH (Epidemiology), Boston University SPH (Epidemiology), UNC Gillings SPH (Epidemiology), Emory Rollins SPH (Epidemiology), UTHealth SPH Houston (Epidemiology), UMinnesota SPH (Epidemiology), UPittsburgh SPH (Epidemiology), OSU SPH (Epidemiology) and John Hopkins Bloomberg SPH (Epidemiology). All listed in the order of importance.
Accepted:
UT Health, Boston (with scholarship), UMinnesota, and John Hopkins
Rejected: None yet
Waitlisted: None yet

Okay, now my story. I applied to so many schools because I was disheartened by my verbal GRE score and honestly didn't think I would get accepted. But now I'm confused, could someone state which university is good to get trained in cancer epidemiology. I want to continue forward to be an OMFS Surgeon with a super speciality in oncology.

I am an international student and applying for MS in Epidemiology. I would like to receive comments from everyone about my chances. Thank you very much!
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.78 (WES Evaluation)
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
V 151 (52%) Q 161 (78%) AWA 4.0 (60%)
1. 4 publications (not first author): 1 in Oncotarget, 1 in Scientific Reports, 1 in PlosOne.
2. 2 case reports.
3. 3 poster presentations at the international conference.
4. 3 years as a student researcher, currently head of gynecological cancer research group at my university, work with researchers from diverse background (Japanese, Korean, Egyptian...)
5. Founder of the research club at my undergraduate university.
6. Some volunteer experiences in Youth Union.
7. Some scientific awards.
LOR: 1 from a Professor Public Health at UTHealth, 1 from Director General of Institute of Public Health, 1 from my PI, 1 from the Head of Technology, Science and International Relation at my undergrad university.
Special factors:
Valedictorian of the class of 2017.
First generation to graduate school.
Owner of two Facebook page and Youtube channels (related to Biomedicine and languages).
Can speak 5 languages: Vietnamese (native), English, French, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish.
Comfortable working with SPSS, R.

Interested in: MS Epidemiology, Cancer Epidemiology
Applied
(include the date of application): Applying to Harvard (11/30), UCLA (11/30), University of Washington (11/30), UTHealth (11/30), JHU (12/31), Columbia (12/31), Pittsburgh (12/31), BU (12/31). All MS Epi.

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
In my opinion you should get into all the schools you applied plus some $$$

Undergrad School: Dental School in India
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56 (ECE Evaluation)
Major/Minor: Dentistry
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (May 22, 2017): Verbal: 147 (35th percentile) and Quant: 161 (78th percentile)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2 international peer reviewed publication, 2 more researches completed and publication under review, 2 more going on. One student research grant or one of the completed publication.
Held around 5 leadership positions throughout dental school, numerous conferences and paper/poster presentation. Represented India at a international conference/leadership program in Singapore.

Special factors: My research and leadership roles taken. First graduate, first doctor and first generation to pursue masters degree in India and US. I had a good SOP (I guess) because I spoke about the specific moment I decided to switch to MPH.

Interested in: Cancer epidemiology
Applied(include the date of application): Harvard TH Chan SPH (Epidemiology), Boston University SPH (Epidemiology), UNC Gillings SPH (Epidemiology), Emory Rollins SPH (Epidemiology), UTHealth SPH Houston (Epidemiology), UMinnesota SPH (Epidemiology), UPittsburgh SPH (Epidemiology), OSU SPH (Epidemiology) and John Hopkins Bloomberg SPH (Epidemiology). All listed in the order of importance.
Accepted: UT Health, Boston (with scholarship), UMinnesota, and John Hopkins
Rejected: None yet
Waitlisted: None yet

Okay, now my story. I applied to so many schools because I was disheartened by my verbal GRE score and honestly didn't think I would get accepted. But now I'm confused, could someone state which university is good to get trained in cancer epidemiology. I want to continue forward to be an OMFS Surgeon with a super speciality in oncology.

JHU has a very well regarded MPH program in general, and a very strong cancer epidemiology program, I'd go there if I was you. UMinnesota does have a strong Epidemiology program, and some people there do cancer epidemiology. Congrats!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had an interview with Dartmouth or Columbia yet? I just received interview requests from both today and would love to know what to expect and prepare for. Thanks!

Has anyone had an interview with Dartmouth or Columbia yet? I just received interview requests from both today and would love to know what to expect and prepare for. Thanks!
What columbia program did you apply to?

Is this for masters or doctoral?

JHU has a very well regarded MPH program in general, and a very strong cancer epidemiology program, I'd go there if I was you. UMinnesota does have a strong Epidemiology program, and some people there do cancer epidemiology. Congrats!
Thank you so much. Hope to hear from Harvard UNC and Emory soon.