MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody apply to the USC MPH program? Has anybody heard back anything yet?
I applied as well, but haven't heard a thing

Members don't see this ad.

*Reposting because I retook the GRE today. Please give me your honest opinion.

Undergrad School:
Medium State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/3.77 (pre-med classes messed me up)
Major/Minor: Health Administration and Policy (Public Health)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 152Q/152V (1/6/18)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • Recent Student Volunteer/Intern at the Center for Medicaid and Medicare
  • Co-founder of my university chapter for the American Mock World Health Organization
  • Intern at Johns Hopkins Center for Learning and Health for behavioral research related to substance abuse and HIV/AIDS for 3 months
  • Research Assistant in a university social psychology lab for 6 months
  • Medical clinic volunteer in Panama for a week
  • Shadowed an American internist in Nigeria for a month
  • President and volunteer of a community service student organization for 1 year
  • Volunteered for a food security NGO for children for 2 years
  • Campus student advocate for food insecurity awareness
  • Sociology undergraduate teaching assistant for 2+ years (with a semester break)
  • Public Health course assignment assessor/"grader"
  • Secretary for a public health student org
  • Participant and in the National Model African Union Conference and vice president of university chapter
Special factors: black woman, lived abroad for 4 years, second-generation immigrant, Igbo fluency (beginner), French fluency (beginner)

LORS: Head of public health department public health internships, Sociology professor/ TA supervisor, Public Health Research Methods professor/Hopkins researcher

Interested in: Global Health, Health Policy, Health Economics

Applying to: JHU MSPH- International Health/Health Systems, Emory MPH- Global Health, GW MPH- Global Health Policy, UPenn MPH-Global Health, UNC-Chapel Hill MSPH in Health Policy and Management

** I know my GPA is very average and, by the looks of it, the competition this year is fierce. Am I in over my head?

Last edited:
I only put down one program choice and was accepted to it. Yet, literally still nothing from OPUS. I received an unofficial email but nothing official on OPUS and no information on financial aid yet...
Same for me! I'm glad someone else is going through this haha

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Should we have gotten portals for Michigan, Boston or Columbia?
2. If we haven't been offered a phone interview by now for Columbia should we consider ourselves rejected?

2. If we haven't been offered a phone interview by now for Columbia should we consider ourselves rejected?
Can’t speak for the others, but I was accepted to Boston and I didn’t have a portal. I got an email about the supplemental application but no portal.

Reactions: 1 user

Undergrad School:
Medium State University
  • Co-founder of my university chapter for the American Mock World Health Organization
  • Intern at Johns Hopkins Center for Learning and Health for behavioral research related to substance abuse and HIV/AIDS for 3 months
  • President and volunteer of a community service student organization for 1 year
  • Sociology undergraduate teaching assistant for 2+ years (with a semester break)
  • Participant and in the National Model African Union Conference and vice president of university chapter
Special factors: black woman, lived abroad for 4 years, second-generation immigrant, Igbo fluency (beginner), French fluency (beginner)

LORS: Head of public health department public health internships, Sociology professor/ TA supervisor, Public Health Research Methods professor/Hopkins researcher

Applying to: JHU MSPH- International Health/Health Systems, Columbia MPH- Health Policy and Management, NYU MPH- Global Health, Emory MPH- Global Health, UPitt MPH-Health Policy and Management, GW MPH- Global Health Policy, UPenn MPH-Global Health

** I know my GPA is very average and, by the looks of it, the competition this year is fierce. Am I in over my head?

I bet you'll be fine.

I also got into Boston without a portal (they don’t do portals, they email you about a supplemental application though) columbia maybe try emailing for an update? I didn’t apply to mich

I got my portal for Michigan after I was accepted, FYI.

I also got into Boston without a portal (they don’t do portals, they email you about a supplemental application though) columbia maybe try emailing for an update? I didn’t apply to mich
So we are supposed to have a Columbia portal?

I got my portal for Michigan (Wolverine Access) shortly after I submitted my app, and saw my (unofficial) admissions decision through the portal before I received the official acceptance email.

I don't think Columbia uses a portal.

I know I'm a bit late to the party for just now posting but here it goes...

Undergrad School: large public state university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.49 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Dual degree in (1) Health Sciences and (2) Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Psychology
MCAT: taken 8/18/17 - TOTAL 509 (80%) - CPBS 128 (86%) - CARS 127 (83%) - BBFL 127 (75%) - PSBB 127 (75%)
Experience/Research: bolded points were indicated as "most important experiences"
  • 700+ hours of hospital volunteering
  • Chapter president of large international honor society for 2 years
  • 5 semesters as a TA for Clinical Psychology (last 2 semesters I was Lead TA)
  • Co-founded a research scholarship program that was later purchased by the university
  • Volunteer camp counselor at a summer camp for children with life-threatening illnesses
  • Volunteered as a college mentor to students at a very low-income high school
  • Premedical President-Elect of national association for women in medicine
  • Founded a chapter of said women in medicine organization at my school
  • Started national task force within said org advocating for free menstrual products on college campuses
  • Administrative Coordinator for my behavioral health research group (2+ year work experience)
  • Published as 1st non-PhD author with said research group in peer-reviewed journal
  • Employment at an optometrist's office as doctor-technician and at chiropractic office as office manager
  • Served as a "High Impact Coach" for applied health research methods course for over a year
  • Peer mentor for university-wide summer research academy
Letters of Recommendation:
  • Research mentor/professor/owner of non-for-profit men's health organization/honor society advisor
  • Professor of clinical psychology for which I TA-ed for over 2 years who was familiar with my research
  • Professor of pathophysiology who was close with my research mentor and I did well in her classes
***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Health Policy / Law / Management / Healthcare Delivery
Applied: Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, Boston U, Penn State, Icahn at Mt. Sinai, Miami U (all on 11/24/2017)
Accepted: Icahn (12/15/17 via email), Boston U (12/21/17 via email)
Phone Interviews: Columbia (1/2/18), Dartmouth (1/5/18)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Has anyone applied to Brown and heard back yet? I know most schools aren't sending out admissions offers until late January / early February but since I got two acceptances earlier than I was expecting, I thought maybe some other schools had sent out early...
I also applied to Brown and have only gotten the email confirming my application was complete. They also said they wouldn’t start looking at applications until January though so it may be a little while still

I know I'm a bit late to the party for just now posting but here it goes...

Undergrad School: large public state university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.49 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Dual degree in (1) Health Sciences and (2) Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Psychology
MCAT: taken 8/18/17 - TOTAL 509 (80%) - CPBS 128 (86%) - CARS 127 (83%) - BBFL 127 (75%) - PSBB 127 (75%)
Experience/Research: bolded points were indicated as "most important experiences"
  • 700+ hours of hospital volunteering
  • Chapter president of large international honor society for 2 years
  • 5 semesters as a TA for Clinical Psychology (last 2 semesters I was Lead TA)
  • Co-founded a research scholarship program that was later purchased by the university
  • Volunteer camp counselor at a summer camp for children with life-threatening illnesses
  • Volunteered as a college mentor to students at a very low-income high school
  • Premedical President-Elect of national association for women in medicine
  • Founded a chapter of said women in medicine organization at my school
  • Started national task force within said org advocating for free menstrual products on college campuses
  • Administrative Coordinator for my behavioral health research group (2+ year work experience)
  • Published as 1st non-PhD author with said research group in peer-reviewed journal
  • Employment at an optometrist's office as doctor-technician and at chiropractic office as office manager
  • Served as a "High Impact Coach" for applied health research methods course for over a year
  • Peer mentor for university-wide summer research academy
Letters of Recommendation:
  • Research mentor/professor/owner of non-for-profit men's health organization/honor society advisor
  • Professor of clinical psychology for which I TA-ed for over 2 years who was familiar with my research
  • Professor of pathophysiology who was close with my research mentor and I did well in her classes
***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Health Policy / Law / Management / Healthcare Delivery
Applied: Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, Boston U, Penn State, Icahn at Mt. Sinai, Miami U (all on 11/24/2017)
Accepted: Icahn (12/15/17 via email), Boston U (12/21/17 via email)
Phone Interviews: Columbia (1/2/18), Dartmouth (1/5/18)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Has anyone applied to Brown and heard back yet? I know most schools aren't sending out admissions offers until late January / early February but since I got two acceptances earlier than I was expecting, I thought maybe some other schools had sent out early...

How was your interview with Dartmouth? I have mine this week and am wondering what to expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia interviews? Is it a bad sign if you never got anything like that? Or is that for different programs they need one for?

Anyone who got their acceptance from BU or GWU receive their scholarship package yet?

Columbia interviews? Is it a bad sign if you never got anything like that? Or is that for different programs they need one for?
I've heard it is based on the program

I got accepted to Boston on 12/21 but have not gotten their scholarship package. I guess it’s supposed to be sent out already or soon?
I got into Boston that same day and haven't received it either!

I think you get a portal for Michigan before a decision. Look up "friend account" under wolverine access; I think you'll use the email attached to your application. After you set up the friend account, go to New and Prospective Student Business under wolverine access.

Undergrad School:
Medium State University

Applying to: JHU MSPH- International Health/Health Systems, Columbia MPH- Health Policy and Management, NYU MPH- Global Health, Emory MPH- Global Health, UPitt MPH-Health Policy and Management, GW MPH- Global Health Policy, UPenn MPH-Global Health

I'm thinking you'll get into NYU, GW Pitt, UPenn. and , . I got into UPenn, Columbia, and Emory (both Healthcare Management programs) last year with a lower GPA and higher GRE scores. If you have time/money I would apply to some safeties if you're set on going this next cycle

Hello Everyone:

I am a 1st-year MPH-65 student at Harvard in SBS (health and social behavior). If you have any questions about the program, my experiences thus far, why I chose Harvard, etc, feel free to message me! I was in your shoes last year...

Obviously, my opinions are subjective and my experiences anecdotal, but I have to say: choosing Harvard was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. The opportunities here are tremendous.

Hi, I have some questions regarding the finaid application.
I got the finaid application mail, I went to the portal but I can't find the application form. Could you please help.

UPDATE : Found it.

Could I talk to you regarding your decision to choose Harvard?

Last edited:
Hello Everyone:

I am a 1st-year MPH-65 student at Harvard in SBS (health and social behavior). If you have any questions about the program, my experiences thus far, why I chose Harvard, etc, feel free to message me! I was in your shoes last year...

Obviously, my opinions are subjective and my experiences anecdotal, but I have to say: choosing Harvard was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. The opportunities here are tremendous.

Hello! I applied to the MPH-65 degree program at Harvard with a concentration in Health Policy. I was wondering if you could speak about how you made the decision to accept Harvard's offer and if there were any schools you were torn between when making your decision. I recently was offered admission to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health school wide MPH program and I think if I got accepted to Harvard, it would be a tough decision to make. Thanks so much in advance!

In at JHU, MPH full-time.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm thinking you'll get into NYU, GW Pitt, UPenn. and , . I got into UPenn, Columbia, and Emory (both Healthcare Management programs) last year with a lower GPA and higher GRE scores. If you have time/money I would apply to some safeties if you're set on going this next cycle

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I'll apply to UPenn.

Applying to: JHU MSPH- International Health/Health Systems, Emory MPH- Global Health, GW MPH- Global Health Policy, UPenn MPH-Global Health, UNC-Chapel Hill MSPH in Health Policy and Management

Hey, people with excellent stats often feel more confident posting, and those with weaker GPAs/GREs tend to lurk. So don't let SDN fool you into thinking all applicants are over 3.6 GPA and 160+ GRE.

Reactions: 8 users
I've heard it is based on the program[/QUO
Hey, people with excellent stats often feel more confident posting, and those with weaker GPAs/GREs tend to lurk. So don't let SDN fool you into thinking all applicants are over 3.6 GPA and 160+ GRE.

This makes me feel a thousand times better

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone who applied to Michigan for health management and policy heard back yet? I applied at the end of October and haven't heard a thing since I got the portal information

In at NYU GPH w scholarship!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just checked my portal, and I got into Hopkins MPH!!! Does anyone know when you'll hear about financial aid/scholarship?

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to USC on 11/28 and just got an email that my application is under review and "you can receive an admissions decision by April 15th, 2018 or sooner." I thought the email was an admissions decision :(

I'm one of those lurkers. lol My GPA is fine, but my GRE scores...are terrible but I'm hoping for the best! So far, the only school I've gotten into doesn't require test scores, but is still a CEPH accredited institution, which is awesome I guess. XD Emory is my top choice but I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best outcome! :)

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I'll apply to UPenn.
Only thing is, UPenn doesn't have a SCHOOL of public health, even though it has a program. One of the reasons I decided not to go. FYI

Only thing is, UPenn doesn't have a SCHOOL of public health, even though it has a program. One of the reasons I decided not to go. FYI

Yeah, that was one of my reservations as well. However, I would like to go to law school there eventually so why not make connections there, you know? I'm considering either applying to Upenn or Brown. If I can't make up my mind, I'll just take my chances with the schools I've already applied to.

Has anyone had an interview with UNC Gillings? I have just received interview invitation today. Any idea on what to expect and prepare for. (FYI: I applied for Health Policy and Management program.)

Hello Everyone:

I applied for the Harvard MPH-45 in health and social behavior. I am an international medical graduate with 4 year experience( 2 years experience in Child Health). My GPA is average 3.77 but my GRE scores are low( 151 Verbal, 147 Quant and 4.5 AWA). What are my chances of being admitted?

For those who applied for the MPH-Epi program at UMD-College Park, they won't begin to review applications until after Jan. 15 since there is a limited number of epi applicants.

congrats!! i'm still waiting on a decision from NYU. are you thinking about actually going? I don't know much about their program but i applied anyway
NYU is actually my top choice (of my acceptances) right now. The scholarship I got is about half tuition (bringing it lower than in-state at UMN), I really like their course offerings, the program seems fairly small, and they have good job placement! My husband is also looking into law schools (to start after my first year or my program depending on location) and apparently they have the #1 international law program in the country (which is what he wants to do) because of their close ties to the UN.

Lol, just got this email from Columbia:

Dear Kelly,

Your future Mailman professors are investigating respiratory disorders in Washington Heights, researching HIV and supporting antiretroviral treatment in sub-Saharan Africa, and advising leading environmental organizations on the health impacts of climate change. While the Mailman School faculty takes on the world’s toughest health challenges in their research, they're also at home in the classroom, teaching our students, creating dynamic and interactive learning environments, and pioneering new ideas about population health. The result is a close-knit community of scholars who are invested in your intellectual growth. Get to know the Mailman faculty and their work.

If you should have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

FUTURE MAILMAN PROFESSORS? Jeez, they keep teasing me...
I know it probably doesn't mean anything :bored:

Reactions: 4 users
Lol, just got this email from Columbia:

Dear Kelly,

Your future Mailman professors are investigating respiratory disorders in Washington Heights, researching HIV and supporting antiretroviral treatment in sub-Saharan Africa, and advising leading environmental organizations on the health impacts of climate change. While the Mailman School faculty takes on the world’s toughest health challenges in their research, they're also at home in the classroom, teaching our students, creating dynamic and interactive learning environments, and pioneering new ideas about population health. The result is a close-knit community of scholars who are invested in your intellectual growth. Get to know the Mailman faculty and their work.

If you should have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

FUTURE MAILMAN PROFESSORS? Jeez, they keep teasing me...
I know it probably doesn't mean anything :bored:
Ughh, I was just about to post about this too. I hope it means something. I feel like I’ve been waiting for decisions for years!

Reactions: 4 users
Ughh, I was just about to post about this too. I hope it means something. I feel like I’ve been waiting for decisions for years!

Me too! I haven't seen anyone post about receiving a decision from any of the schools I applied to, so I'm not concerned or anything, just sick of waiting...hopefully only a few more weeks! The holidays definitely distracted me for awhile, but now I'm just obsessively checking my email while I should be working.

Me too! I haven't seen anyone post about receiving a decision from any of the schools I applied to, so I'm not concerned or anything, just sick of waiting...hopefully only a few more weeks! The holidays definitely distracted me for awhile, but now I'm just obsessively checking my email while I should be working.
I only heard back from NYU, where I was waitlisted. So I’m basically back to square one. Not even sure when they’re supposed to be getting back to me

I only heard back from NYU, where I was waitlisted. So I’m basically back to square one. Not even sure when they’re supposed to be getting back to me
Ah, that's so nerve wracking. I hope you get a positive result. Where else did you apply?

Hello all!

If anyone ends up attending UNC, my room mates and I (2 Gillings public health students, 1 pharmacy PhD) are looking for one more room mate for the upcoming school year. It's a great house and you can walk to the public health school. 4 bedroom, 2 bathrooms. Common areas are furnished - available room is empty. Lease runs June 2018-June 2019.

Current residents are 1 M, 2 F and 1 well-behaved dog.

If you're interested send me a message and I can give you more details. Good luck to all still awaiting acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, that's so nerve wracking. I hope you get a positive result. Where else did you apply?
Isn’t it? And I applied to NYU, Columbia, SUNY Stony Brook, and SUNY at Buffalo!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone whose gotten into Johns Hopkins online mph heard about financial aid packages yet? If you received a merit scholarship does it come with your acceptance email, or do they contact you later? Does anyone know what the average amount on financial aid hopkins gives out is?