MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by ConfusedAsUsual, Aug 15, 2017.

1. stormtrooper31

Other Health Professions Student
    I emailed and he said that it was sent last week and I should be receiving it any day now. (I’m in Arizona so probably farther than most people).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. otvsp

Good to know! I'm in Boston, so I feel like I should've received it already. We had a big snow storm at the end of last week-- maybe that's the culprit?

4. Epi_lady_in_training

I applied beginning of December and SDSU app complete beginning of January (some missing transcripts).

cg2018 likes this.
  5. Cassatrass

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Storm the doors and demand answers!!!

(jk that might be a bad plan)

6. NEpubhealth

I received my BU acceptance package in the mail today! I was accepted by email on 12/21.

otvsp and vnla07 like this.
  7. otvsp

Got my BU package today, too! Was fortunate enough to receive some scholarship money.

8. stormtrooper31

You said you live in Boston? I really like BUs program but I’m so concerned about the cost of living. I also haven’t gotten my package yet.

9. otvsp

Boston is expensive, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Are you concerned about rent or general living expenses? Happy to answer any questions you have!

10. mickey24

I’ve also been worrying about the cost of living in Boston, especially in terms of rent. I know the school has off campus housing resources, but do you have any advice as someone who already lives there about where to look or anything else you may think would be helpful?

grapesandstrawberries likes this.
  11. grapesandstrawberries

I would also like to know. I'm from the west coast, in an area where cost of living isn't as bad - I also got accepted to BU with merit scholarship but I'm really freaked out by the expensive tuition and cost of living!

12. stormtrooper31

I’m concerned about rent. I want to be somewhere with lower rent but still close to the campus, which may be impossible. I live in an area where rent is low. I will have my husband with me to help with money, but I really don’t want to have to work full time.

13. stormtrooper31

I’m on the west coast too! Where are you from, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m in Arizona. I’m nervous about making a cross country move!

14. otvsp

BU's off-campus housing options would probably lead you down an expensive path. What kind of living situation are you all hoping for? Living in Boston by yourself is, and always will be, pretty expensive. If the plan is to have roommates, you can significantly reduce the cost. I've been living in Cambridge (~4 miles from BU SPH) with 3 friends for the past 5 years. We each pay less than $700/month. I would suggest scoping the Boston Craigslist for apartments if you're considering going to BU. Look for listings in Allston, Brighton, Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford (maybe). They're all surrounding towns that blend into Boston proper (the T and bus systems here make everything pretty accessible). Some of the listings may be junk but, if you're persistent, there can be good deals. If any of you do start looking and have questions about specific neighborhoods/squares, I'd be happy to answer those, too.

Disclaimer: I've been living here for a long time, so I may be jaded with my perception of living costs!

Pgn176 likes this.
  15. grapesandstrawberries

Washington! So super west coast! I'll be moving across the country lol

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. mickey24

I’m in California so I can definitely relate to moving completely across the country!

18. grapesandstrawberries

I am actually a little hesitant to move across the country (due to personal circumstances). I got accepted to Rutgers, BU and GWU so far, and I understand a lot of "big" public health schools are on the east coast. I visited New York last year and this year, and it was WAY too crowded and far from home! I applied to UW, UCLA and UC Berkeley, I have my fingers crossed for those three places!

19. mickey24

I definitely know what you mean about New York being too crowded, I was there this summer and felt the same way! I’m also anxiously waiting to hear back from UCLA. I applied to a few other California schools but like you said, they are not at the same level as the east coast schools.

20. adb11

I just got an email the other day from UPenn School of Public Health requesting an interview. My application for them was verified 12/27. Did anyone else get an interview request who applied to UPenn? Does anyone have any insight about what to expect? Do they request interviews from everyone or more serious applicants?

Cici A likes this.
  21. meowmeowfuzzyface

I actually have an answer for this! I went to visit them yesterday and they told me they interview about 25% of their applicants. They said it doesn't mean anything except that they have a question about your app or want to know more about something.

22. boisdejasmin

Fellow [Any Field]
    Just got my acceptance to Tulane's Community Health Science MPH, they took all of 2? days to process my application.

23. Cici A

Is it too late to be applying to more schools? I sent out the bulk of my applications on 11/29.

24. Teets4Tots

I don't think it's too late to apply! Especially if it is a school that you would be a realistic choice if you got in. As long as the deadline hasn't passed yet and your financially able I say go for it!

Cici A likes this.
  25. Dr boss

Has anyone received funding from BU apart from the 20k merit scholarship they are offering to almost everyone ?? Given the expensive tution of BU program coupled with high cost of living in Boston 20 k does not help much. I think the tuition for some SPH are way over the top considering the career in public health is driven out of passion rather than the ambition of earning top $$ which anyways is not an easy thing to do after earning a public health degree.

26. Jasmine Chou

Undergrad School: Fudan University (Top 5 in China, QS Ranking 40)
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.42/ 3.73 (cumulative GPA after WES:3.3)
    Major/Minor: Sociology
    GradGPA
    (if applicable): N/A
    Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
    GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Q:166(91%), V:161(88%), AW:3.0(16%); IELTS: 7.5
    Experience/Research (please, be brief):

• Research assistant at the think tank of Shanghai Health and Birth Planning Committee, mainly help with elderly long-term care policy, also help with conferences, daily fieldwork in hospitals and conduct literature review on narrative medicine with sociological theories. (5 months)
    • Thesis in preparation(expected to be published by the mid year of 2018) about patient experience, using factor analysis and ordered logistic model
    • An independent research on ethnic health disparity in China, including a literature review and a research proposal.
    • Interned as teaching assistant at an online psychological curriculum platform and was primarily responsible for an offline workshop with 50 participants for 2 days (7 months)
    • Research assistant in a children’s cognitive development project in another university in Shanghai, and assisted with sample data collection from kindergarten kids through cognitive experiments. (3 months)
    • Lead the revision of the academic brochure in our sociology department, and it helps freshmen and sophomores gain an understanding about their major and provides information about useful academic resources. (2 months)
    • Participate in the cheerleading team and won first prize in the league matches in Shanghai. (10 months)
    Special factors: Asian and female, proficient in statistical analysis and STATA skills, some training in PYTHON and had a thesis about big data in the undergraduate social science forum in Shanghai.

Interested in: health policy, especially elderly healthcare

Applied
    (include the date of application):all mph/msph, and are all verified on January 12: JHU(MSPH in health policy), Brown(Health service), U-Michigan(health policy and management), Columbia(health policy and management), Boston(general), Pittsburg(health policy and management), Dartmouth(health care delivery)
    Accepted:
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:

It's so amazing that some of you have so many professional/academic experience! Now I am pretty worried about the following things. First, my cumulative GPA is pretty normal because of the super strict score rules in our university. Second, I am lacked of some inter-cultural experience such as exchange program to other countries. Third, I don't have any volunteer experience about public health, and I don't know if my experience is public health-related enough. I am not sure whether the issues above are necessary in a successful application to my dream programs(especially the former three ones) . Really need advice from you~

27. langat211

I got that scholarship too (and congrats to you), and it has certainly given me pause. Where else are you considering?

28. fappybird202

fappybird202 Banned
    Banned Account on Hold

Pre-Optometry
    Accepted to Yale & Berkeley's MPH programs (found out the same day). Thank you to everyone for their support on here! What a great community.

29. grapesandstrawberries

May I ask which program(s) you applied to at both schools? And did you get email acceptances?

30. kcarlson518

Thats nuts! I applied for the global health department and I had to wait 2 months. I started getting worried cause I was repeatedly seeing people say 2 weeks. Oh well!

31. adb11

Oh that’s great thank you so much for your insight! If you don’t mind me asking, what types of questions did they ask you? I’m a little nervous!

32. Teets4Tots

At this moment, UW, Minnesota, and Drexel are probably my top 3 but I'm definitely going to consider every school I get into once all admission decisions are in since I only have 2 now. What about you?

33. stormtrooper31

Got my BU letter today. Offered a 15k scholarship.

Unfortunately I don't think that's going to be enough due to Boston's cost of living and tuition. Here's hoping to the rest of my schools!

34. meowmeowfuzzyface

I haven't had an interview. I just went in to find out more about the program. I was in Philadelphia to visit a friend anyway so I stopped by to speak to the program director.

35. MidnightCafe

Does anyone know when Brown's decision will come out or have anyone gotten into Brown yet?

36. wwmmkk

I have had some people ask me this over PM too. Last year Brown MPH decisions did not come out until the beginning of April. ScM were a little earlier. Hopefully this year will be better but don't hold your breath.

sploosh, MidnightCafe and Cassatrass like this.
  37. Detgirl95

Hey. Does anyone know when UMich starts sending decisions? (HBHE)

meowmeowfuzzyface likes this.
  38. (orpheusloves)eurydice

Congratulations on your scholarship! Although this wasn't addressed to me, I got the same offer from Minnesota! I'm also considering UIC, Tulane, UW, and BU. So far I have only been accepted to Minnesota and Tulane, so the others are still hypothetical options. I feel confident I will get into UIC, which is in my home city of Chicago and by far the cheapest option, so as much as I'd like to travel somewhere new and go to the "best" school I can, I may end up staying put. I still have a lot of thinking to do!

What about you?

39. PocketRocket86

I received my decision from UM HBHE on 22 Dec.

40. ting_1

Undergrad School: Top 20 Private University
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
    Major/Minor: Biology/Chinese Language & Culture
    GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
    GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): No GRE, submitted MCAT (80th percentile)
    - Couple international volunteers/mission trips/internships (Indonesia, Korea, Honduras, etc.) during college
    - Research Assistant & Technician for 2.5 years during college
    - Currently working at a large university hospital as Clinical Research Coordinator (since 2016)

Special factors:
    -
    International student (currently working with F-1 OPT VISA)
    - Speak a couple languages (Bahasa Indonesia, Korean, Mandarin)

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Health Policy, Maternal & Child Health, Global Health
    Applied(include the date of application): UNC (11/28), JHU (11/7), Dartmouth (11/7), Emory (12/13), UPenn (1/10), Wash.U (11/7), Columbia (11/30), Vanderbilt (12/4), GWU (11/12), BU (12/18), Colorado (12/25), Yale (1/8)
    Accepted: JHU, GWU, Wash.U ($+)
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:
    Interviews: Phone interview with Columbia (1/5), Dartmouth (1/8)

41. ting_1

Hey! Have you heard back from Columbia or Dartmouth after your interview yet?

42. MarcusAureliusAntoninus

Just got accepted into University of Michigan's epidemiology program! First acceptance! I'm so psyched!

cannedkoala, LG0331, pa611 and 10 others like this.
  43. Detgirl95

When was your application complete if you don’t mind me asking?

44. csc123

Had my interview the past couple of weeks as well for Dartmouth. I'm guessing we should hear back within a week or two.

45. PocketRocket86

It was verified by SOPHAS on 8 Dec and I received a confirmation email from UM on 13 Dec.

Detgirl95 likes this.
  46. nannams

Non-Student
    my interview with upenn is tomorrow (over skype). anyone who's done it before, plz offer any insight or advice

meowmeowfuzzyface likes this.
  47. meowmeowfuzzyface

1I've already posted but it won't let me make edits, so I guess I'll just do it again.
    Undergrad School: Tulane
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.45/ 3.63 (SOPHAS verified)
    Major/Minor: Public Health; History
    GRE (including date taken): Q: 153 (51%) V: 161 (88%) W:4.0
    -Executive board of university's sexual violence organization- providing and working shifts on the rape crisis hotline, educational facilitations and education (3 years)--continuing
    -Interned at NOCAC- New Orleans Child Advocacy Center (1.5 years)
    -Internship with an organization that tries to mitigate poverty in New Orleans (Summer 2017)
    -Work as a shelter advocate at a women's shelter for domestic violence (6 months)--continuing
    -Currently in training to be a Medical Advocate for sexual assault victims--continuing
    Special factors:
    Applied to dual degree programs in MPH and MSW

Interested in: WashU, Tulane, BU, Columbia, Penn, NYU, UMich
    Applied(include the date of application): Wash U (12/13), Tulane (1/5), BU (12/29) Columbia (11/17), Penn (1/16), UMich (12/14)
    Accepted:
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:

Can anyone chance me??

48. tak1234

I'm a bit late to the game here and am getting fairly anxious after reading everyone's experience on this site! I'd love some input on my chances and any other schools that I should be considering. I plan on having my applications in by mid-February. Will that be too late?

Undergrad School:
    Mid Sized State School
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Can't remember exactly, but it's about 3.4/3.3
    Major/Minor: Mathematics
    GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking GRE in a couple weeks

- 2 actuarial exams passed
    - 3.5 years working in an actuarial pricing department at a major health insurance carrier
    - 2.5 years working at a major consulting firm in health insurance
    - Regularly volunteer with a local non-profit that promotes health and wellness in community
    Special factors:
    - I'm not sure if I have any "special factors" but I'm hoping the fact that I'm a girl with math and actuarial work experience will be a differentiator.
    - I also have some unique personal hobbies that might make me stand out: endurance athlete, violinist​

Currently considering University of Michigan, GVSU and VCU.

Interested in: Epidemiology
    Applied(include the date of application):
    Accepted:
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:

49. adb11

good luck with your interview!!! I have my interview with them next Friday. Do you mind posting about how your interview went afterward?

50. nannams

Non-Student
    of course!! feeling nervous even though penn isn't one of my top choices. I have a feeling they'll just ask some questions about my resume and statement

51. MidnightCafe

I thought Brown was a rolling admissions sort of thing. So they release their decision all at once? :(

Cassatrass likes this.
  52. andrew_SH

Classifieds Approved

Undergrad School: JHU
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.81
    Major/Minor: Molecular and Cellular Biology/Economics
    GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
    GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V159(83%)/Q170(97%)/4.0(60%)

- Couple international volunteers/mission trips/internships in finance/consulting/startup
    - Research Assistant & Technician for 2.5 years during college
    - No post-graduate work experience

Special factors:
    - International student (Will graduate in May 2018)
    - JHU undergrad, historically relatively easier to get into JHBSPH?
    - Top choice Columbia and Harvard

Interested in: Health Policy, Global Health
    Applied(include the date of application): UCB-MPH/MPP-HPM (12/1), Harvard-MPH/MUP-Environmental Health (12/1), Dartmouth (12/1), Columbia-HPM (12/1), Yale-Health Policy (1/13), JHU-MHS/MSPH-HPM in HPM(1/13)
    Accepted:
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:
    Interviews: Phone interview with Columbia (12/28), Dartmouth (1/23)

Chance me. Why do schools don't post most recent admission stat?