MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you apply to Stanford? I thought the decisions normally come out in May?
When I submitted my application at the end of Feb, I explained to their admissions that I would need to commit to other MPH programs by 4/15, so they agreed to prioritize the review of my application so that I can make my final decision in line with all other MPH programs I applied to. And from what I gathered, there were quite a few other applicants that also asked for early review for various reasons. When in doubt, I would encourage you to contact the epi admissions for specific inquiry regarding your application. They are very approachable, and apparently also very accommodating. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'll got to join this call. Where is everybody???

Anyone else joining the call. We are wrapping up soon.

Shoutout to @OnePotatoTwoBobs for organizing our SDN party today!

OH NO!!!! I JUST MISSED IT!!!! Just came back from the COVID vaccine. Damn.

Just wanted to say, this forum was awesome. Thanks for inviting me to be part of your journey and for taking part in mine. I didn't apply to Yale but you damn well be sure I knew what time of the week them Yale decisions were coming out :p All of us playing detectives to figure out when Harvard was releasing theirs HAHA good times.

I will be staying close to home and attending UW. Gave up my seat at Columbia for one of your passionate, kind-hearted, and driven future New Yorkers.

Just in case folks have some free time and want to support public health efforts, consider volunteering to be a Vaccine Fairy in your community! Vaccine Fairy - Book a COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment let's make sure those vaccines get into the arms of those who do not have the access and skills that some of us are fortunate to have.

See you all out there!!! <3

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
When I submitted my application at the end of Feb, I explained to their admissions that I would need to commit to other MPH programs by 4/15, so they agreed to prioritize the review of my application so that I can make my final decision in line with all other MPH programs I applied to. And from what I gathered, there were quite a few other applicants that also asked for early review for various reasons. When in doubt, I would encourage you to contact the epi admissions for specific inquiry regarding your application. They are very approachable, and apparently also very accommodating. Hope that helps!
Didn't realize I could do that! Thanks so much, very helpful info!

Shoutout to @OnePotatoTwoBobs for organizing our SDN party today!

Thank you @OnePotatoTwoBobs for setting the call up. It was so nice to see some of you ( @OnePotatoTwoBobs @Pwny @MPHSeekerrr @jadedray ) and connect virtually. If anyone of you who missed the call like to stay connected, join the LinkedIn group -

Public Health Aspirants - 2021 | Groups | LinkedIn

All along, I knew that this particular forum is filled with people who are so accomplished, and I am extremely humbled to part of it. Just listening to the few people who joined the call today, affirmed that in an instant!

I have heard that, if you do not change the direction you are going, you will definitely end up where you are heading.

Some of us know where they need to be heading, and have chosen a direction. While others are changing the direction to figure out where they should be heading. It doesn't matter which category you fall in; in the end, either one will get you where you should be.

We have gone through a tough admissions cycle and have gotten to a place that was meant for us. I am confident that all of us will have the opportunity to touch people's lives in one way or another. Let's make that touch a positive one, throughout our journey, in whichever direction we are going, or whatever destination we are headed.

Z.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
I assume it’s gonna be pretty dead here since most deadlines to accept offers have passed at this point. I’ll be hanging around waiting to hear from Columbia on the waitlist, but assuming I don’t get accepted, NYU it is!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Looks like I'm considerably late to the party! I just came across this forum, and will be making a decision in the next week or so. Just waiting on financial award offers. With that said, my profile is quite different from most on here :)

Undergraduate School/School type: Large public, state research university in New Jersey
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5/2.72
Major/minor: Public Health
Graduate School/School type: Top tier Business School
Grad GPA: 3.07
Grad studies (if applicable): MBA, International Mgmt
GRE(including date taken): waived

Experience/research:
  • 25 years Health Care, private and public sectors, payers, providers, and transformation consulting
  • 23 & 21 years parent of two adult aged children on the autism spectrum
Letters of Rec: 5 letters of recommendation, all from prior managers or C-suite/executives

Interests: Population Health Informatics/Public Health Informatics, Social Determinants of Health, Autism, DrPH

Applying: Johns Hopkins (MPH online)/applied 3/16, University of MD (MPH Health Policy online)/applied 3/16, UIC (MPH Public Health Informatics online)/applied 2/19, Temple (dual degree MPH Health Policy/MS Health Informatics)/applied 2/6, Georgia Southern (DrPH Leadership then switched to MPH Applied Public Health)/applied 2/1, CUNY SPH (MPH Community Health online)/applied 2/6, CUNY SPH (MS Population Health Informatics online)/applied 2/6

Accepted: CUNY SPH - MPH & MS - 2/19, UIC - MPH - 3/23, Temple - dual degree MPH/MS - 3/31, Univ of MD - MPH - 4/16, Georgia Southern - MPH - 4/19

Rejected: Johns Hopkins (not shockingly)

Attending: Not sure yet! It's between CUNY SPH MS Population Health Informatics or Georgia Southern MPH. Primary reason: TUITION!

UPDATE: Woke up with feelings of angst that I'd declined UIC's offer, since that's been at the top of my list for quite some time now. Fortunately, I was able to get them to remove the DECLINED, so I still have my spot there! And UIC is still at the top of my list!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I assume it’s gonna be pretty dead here since most deadlines to accept offers have passed at this point. I’ll be hanging around waiting to hear from Columbia on the waitlist, but assuming I don’t get accepted, NYU it is!

Don't worry, we are still all here giving you company!!! Hope you get what is best for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you on Columbia!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be here with you waiting on the waitlist decision! But I'm pretty happy with Brown if I don't end up getting accepted either.

• Care
Gave up my dream/reach school last week & I'm taking it pretty hard...

I couldn't imagine taking on 100k worth of debt for an MPH vs. ~10k. I'm planning on doing a DrPH in a few years, so I'm trying to stay hopeful that they would be willing to accept me again. This definitely has been a crazy admissions cycle. Not at all what I expected...

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Same. Still waiting on columbia 🙄. When do you think we will hear back?

Same. Still waiting on columbia 🙄. When do you think we will hear back?
In their reply to email they said they were hoping to notify everyone on the waitlist by the end of April. So by the end of next week I guess.

I really hope they stick to that because I’d hate to drop 500 for NYU by the May 1 deadline just to get an acceptance from Columbia in May

Hi! I know I’m super late to this, but is there a group for those committed to Columbia MPH - Health Policy and Management (particularly the accelerated program?). Made my decision in the nick of time on April 15th. Thanks in advance!

Hi! I know I’m super late to this, but is there a group for those committed to Columbia MPH - Health Policy and Management (particularly the accelerated program?). Made my decision in the nick of time on April 15th. Thanks in advance!
you can try here You're invited to my new group 'Columbia MPH Fall 2021' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Anyone still waiting for Harvard-45 Health Management waitlist decisions?

I was also told by Columbia that they will hear back by May 15 as mentioned in the letter.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Tulane? I've pretty much made my decision but I would still like to know if I got in or not

I couldn't imagine taking on 100k worth of debt for an MPH vs. ~10k. I'm planning on doing a DrPH in a few years, so I'm trying to stay hopeful that they would be willing to accept me again. This definitely has been a crazy admissions cycle. Not at all what I expected...
So you feel my pain as well. Do you mind if I privately message you? I have some qq.

• Love
I'm one step away from committing to UIC as well. If I may ask, what drew you to their program?
I was offered a partial scholarship for the fall semester. There a several professors I am interested and location. But if I get this GA position at UMD I will be turning down UIC.

I was offered a partial scholarship for the fall semester. There a several professors I am interested and location. But if I get this GA position at UMD I will be turning down UIC.
I applied to and was admitted to UMD, but id be attending via their online format, so I don't think GA/TA/RA options are available to me, unfortunately. Given that I'm a MD resident, I would not have expected tuition to be as high as it is. Out of state tuition at UIC is less than UMD's SPH. Still UMD's program is great. The Director for Health Policy and Admin questioned why I was applying for their MPH and not PhD LOL

I applied to and was admitted to UMD, but id be attending via their online format, so I don't think GA/TA/RA options are available to me, unfortunately. Given that I'm a MD resident, I would not have expected tuition to be as high as it is. Out of state tuition at UIC is less than UMD's SPH. Still UMD's program is great. The Director for Health Policy and Admin questioned why I was applying for their MPH and not PhD LOL
I would definitely go with the cheapest option.

Anyone know if anything terrible happens if you commit to more than one place (aka pay more than one deposit)? I want to see if Columbia lets me change my program (to Biostatistics from Epidemiology) and in case they don't, I feel like I would like to put down a deposit at Berkeley because their MPH is Epidemiology/Biostatistics. Kind of scared one might find out and like rescind my acceptance??? Does anyone know about this?
Berkeley doesn't require a deposit! you just have to submit your SIR. I submitted mine last month and then got a last minute game-changing funding offer from another school (day before the decision deadline). So I asked the other school for an extension of the decision deadline and emailed Berkeley to explain the situation etc. Long story short, I sent in the SIR but Berkeley is now aware that I may or may not attend and nothing terrible happened

Accepted into the JHSPH Winter start Part time/Online MPH! Anyone else accepted into this program?

I really feel this. I can't fully shake the bummed/uneasy feeling yet. Proud of you though! You have to be really honest with yourself in order to make that sacrifice/compromise and I think you made the right call. debt is the absolute worst

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I know I'm really late to the party but I gotta ask, what criteria did ya'll use to decide where you were going to commit? Ranking, cost, location, and what else? I am also really curious about what draws people to Columbia, BU, and UCLA so strongly. I absolutely hate making decisions and consequently love hearing the reasoning that other people use to make their decisions lol

For anyone attending NYU, they just announced that they will be fully in-person in the fall.

Reactions: 6 users
I know I'm really late to the party but I gotta ask, what criteria did ya'll use to decide where you were going to commit? Ranking, cost, location, and what else? I am also really curious about what draws people to Columbia, BU, and UCLA so strongly. I absolutely hate making decisions and consequently love hearing the reasoning that other people use to make their decisions lol
I didn't apply to any of the schools you mentioned, but I made my decision mainly on concentration. I'm very interested in NTDs and small island developing states, and I got into the tropmed track at Tulane- so it just kind of fit perfect. Cost was very important to me in the beginning, but all of my acceptances had similar COA, and I didn't get any scholarships that made the decision easier. I eliminated GW pretty quickly due to location (I'd prefer to stay in the south/ I'm a baby about the cold) and the graduate outcomes for the concentration I had been admitted to. I eliminated Emory because I was accepted into my 2nd choice conc, which happened to be very similar to my undergrad degree (very umbrella) and I wanted to specialize a little more.

some other minor thing that influenced my decision:
- GW's building is too fancy (I feel like it's a sign money could/should be going somewhere else)
- already have connections at Tulane and I've really felt supported in every interaction I'd had with faculty/staff
-I'm from the coast and not being near the water makes me sad (spent 5 years in the mountains and confirmed this pretty hard)
- really could not see myself in Atlanta if it wasn't for the GLEPI conc

I did decide to apply to higher ranked schools because I'm viewing my MPH as a terminal degree. I don't plan to pursue another degree until I've established myself professionally, and am ready to start my family (planning to take time off from work for higher degree/ birth some kiddos when the time comes). I'd like to work internationally, so a name is more important to me than it would be for others. Everyone has different reasons- follow your heart and trust your gut 💙

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't apply to any of the schools you mentioned, but I made my decision mainly on concentration. I'm very interested in NTDs and small island developing states, and I got into the tropmed track at Tulane- so it just kind of fit perfect. Cost was very important to me in the beginning, but all of my acceptances had similar COA, and I didn't get any scholarships that made the decision easier. I eliminated GW pretty quickly due to location (I'd prefer to stay in the south/ I'm a baby about the cold) and the graduate outcomes for the concentration I had been admitted to. I eliminated Emory because I was accepted into my 2nd choice conc, which happened to be very similar to my undergrad degree (very umbrella) and I wanted to specialize a little more.

some other minor thing that influenced my decision:
- GW's building is too fancy (I feel like it's a sign money could/should be going somewhere else)
- already have connections at Tulane and I've really felt supported in every interaction I'd had with faculty/staff
-I'm from the coast and not being near the water makes me sad (spent 5 years in the mountains and confirmed this pretty hard)
- really could not see myself in Atlanta if it wasn't for the GLEPI conc

GW's new public health school building basically helped pay for itself as the school received around 80 million in donations, and I think a lot of that came after the building was built as when you build something brick and mortar like that it helps to draw attention to the school and garner funds, I think even GW is surprised at how much funding they've gotten recently due to their new building and their visibility as a public health school has really taken off, Washington DC has become more of a nexus for public health in the past decade as things have gotten more of a global lens, definitely this will continue after COVID, so that is part of the reason why GW is rising fast, I feel they are a rising star like Brown.

There are advantages to having a modern building for a public health school as it allows for more concentrations and meeting among public health faculty, with most schools public health faculty have appointments in other departments and so they are spread out, building a large public health building is a major signal that GW wants to move up the world of public health, though I guess you could argue that you might get a "silo" mentality by grouping all the public health people together.

That being said I totally agree that Tulane is a good place to look at NTDs and Tulane is one of, if not the, oldest public health school in the country, definitely quite a gem of a school.

GW's new public health school building basically helped pay for itself as the school received around 80 million in donations, and I think a lot of that came after the building was built as when you build something brick and mortar like that it helps to draw attention to the school and garner funds, I think even GW is surprised at how much funding they've gotten recently due to their new building and their visibility as a public health school has really taken off, Washington DC has become more of a nexus for public health in the past decade as things have gotten more of a global lens, definitely this will continue after COVID, so that is part of the reason why GW is rising fast, I feel they are a rising star like Brown.

There are advantages to having a modern building for a public health school as it allows for more concentrations and meeting among public health faculty, with most schools public health faculty have appointments in other departments and so they are spread out, building a large public health building is a major signal that GW wants to move up the world of public health, though I guess you could argue that you might get a "silo" mentality by grouping all the public health people together.

That being said I totally agree that Tulane is a good place to look at NTDs and Tulane is one of, if not the, oldest public health school in the country, definitely quite a gem of a school.
Totally get this and why I put it in minor things- GW is a great school and has some fantastic programs! I understand the appeal of the facility, and agree with what you're saying about the benefits. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way personally. My life experiences have made me pretty passionate about making due in low resource environments, so I think part of me just really struggles to get past what I may view as "excess".

Reactions: 2 users
hi everyone, im sure less people will see this bc the deadline to accept is pretty much gone. (i think ill be committing later this week) but i honestly just wanted to say thank you to all of yall. like i am so beyond blessed to have found this forum, and like everyone's support was incredible. just the faith yall had in me was so sweet and like literally kept me going lmao

so thank you <3 i will miss you all, i honestly would bet my life on everyone achieving their goals :)

good luck everyone <3

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Finally got my financial aid package from JHS, and it's all loans! That certainly helps make the choice easier, though it sucks because this was probably my top choice.

• Care
Alright 5 days until I have to submit my deposit to NYU, let’s hope Columbia gives us waitlisted folk a decision this week!

• Care
Okay, I finally heard back from Mount Sinai and I was accepted. So now the debate begins. The thing about Mount Sinai is that I applied for the global health concentration which I’m not so sure about the job outlook. I’m not sure how easy it is to switch concentrations either. I haven't heard back about funding so I'm waiting on that but I know that my loan would be a lot less here. Another thing is I haven’t been able to find a lot of information about the program so if anyone knows something can you message me, please! I have some questions.
Now NYU, I mean I’ve said this before but it’s the $$$$. So expensive and I've received no funding but the health policy and management program seem solid. Someone recommended that I write to admission ask for a possible scholarship. I’m not sure how I would even ask for this or if this would even work. Has anyone tried this and succeed?
Some info for everyone, my ultimate goal is to work in the private sector (e.g. Pharmaceutical companies) in the legislative aspect or as a patient advocate.
Either way, I’m going back to school and I want to thank everyone for being so helpful during this process. Congratulations everyone!

Alright 5 days until I have to submit my deposit to NYU, let’s hope Columbia gives us waitlisted folk a decision this week!
hellloooo, just since I've occasionally checked in to see if anyones gotten off columbia waitlist I'll toss in there that I am still waiting as well!! sooo eager hope we see some posts on here with some more updates

just officially got into emory off the waitlist so that wraps up the entire cycle for me 😊

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I think Columbia's public health program gets some more attention because Chelsea Clinton went there for her MPH, though she's been to a lot other private schools like NYU and Oxford, people like the idea of being in New York.

BU was ranked around 25th for years, they politic and that may have raised their US News rank, or there are NIH funds that overlap with public health, but rankings based on return of investment in a given school put BU around 25th, Top 25 Campus MPH Programs. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the rankings, these are all pre-COVID anyway. Strange things happened at BU with COVID that may have brought problems to light, a lot of faculty off the record disagreed with a return to classes, and one longtime professor at BU's school of public health, Dr. Michael Siegel, said that BU's "Learn from Anywhere" is more about making money (tuition) and less about health, and that is from his twitter from April 25th, 2021! A lot of BU employees come from the poorer Roxbury area and BU may have encouraged spread of covid in poorer areas, plus many at BU have asked people to join protests over the last year by declaring them safe from a public health standpoint, not sure if those asking for participation were actually at the protests, possibly a lot of the danger comes from people meeting indoors before and after protests indoors and a definite sum of protestors are in the ground now after getting covid or suffering longterm health effects.

BU just did weird things during COVID like cancelling summer abroad in London and charging students the same fee for Zoom classes as well as banning students from cafeterias and dorms but initially not refunding them for board and food! The name "Boston University" sounds like a venerable public institution, but it is more of a mix between expensive corporate higher education and a lot of advertising, many schools offer a more rigorous education with better connections like University of Washington and others . . . student satisfaction is low at BU. Public health school can be very expensive, what you get out of BU is more of a grab bag than anything, due to BU's budgetary problems (the whole university) they're actually at risk of having major future problems, I think it is better to go to a more firmly established public health school, BU's is the newest public health school out of many that are ranked high by US News, which is kind of suspicious, the area is super-saturated with public health schools and they may work to give each other high peer rankings as US News is biased in favor of schools in concentrated geographical locations and doesn't take value for the student into account.

On the flip side, Brown has had steadily worked for decades on their global health program and others and they bring an Ivy League comprehensive approach to a public health school that resulted in their applications skyrocketing the past year. Brown's dean Dr. Ashish Jha is very knowledgeable on global health issues (one of the people like Fauci and Walensky you know it pays to listen when they give an interview as their answers are concise yet well thought out and insightful) and correctly raised the importance of helping India during it's current covid peak which could be the worst this country faces . . . easily provokes tears if you watch what is happening in India now . . . I feel that Brown is very well positioned to work on achievable public health goals in the US and globally going forward. BU just seems super focused on a narrower range of topics and mostly domestically.

Last edited:
I think Columbia's public health program gets some more attention because Chelsea Clinton went there for her MPH, though she's been to a lot other private schools like NYU and Oxford, people like the idea of being in New York.

BU was ranked around 25th for years, they politic and that may have raised their US News rank, or there are NIH funds that overlap with public health, but rankings based on return of investment in a given school put BU around 25th, Top 25 Campus MPH Programs. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the rankings, these are all pre-COVID anyway. Strange things happened at BU with COVID that may have brought problems to light, a lot of faculty off the record disagreed with a return to classes, and one longtime professor at BU's school of public health, Dr. Michael Siegel, said that BU's "Learn from Anywhere" is more about making money (tuition) and less about health, and that is from his twitter from April 25th, 2021! A lot of BU employees come from the poorer Roxbury area and BU may have encouraged spread of covid in poorer areas, plus many at BU have asked people to join protests over the last year by declaring them safe from a public health standpoint, not sure if those asking for participation were actually at the protests, a lot of the danger comes from people meeting before and after protests indoors and a definite sum of protestors are in the ground now after getting covid or suffering longterm health effects.

BU just did weird things during COVID like cancelling summer abroad in London and charging students the same fee for Zoom classes as well as banning students from cafeterias and dorms but initially not refunding them for board and food! The name "Boston University" sounds like a venerable public institution, but it is more of a mix between expensive corporate higher education and a lot of advertising, many schools offer a more rigorous education with better connections like University of Washington and others . . . student satisfaction is low at BU. Public health school can be very expensive, what you get out of BU is more of a grab bag than anything, due to BU's budgetary problems (the whole university) they're actually at risk of having major future problems, I think it is better to go to a more firmly established public health school, BU's is the newest public health school out of many that are ranked high by US News, which is kind of suspicious, the area is super-saturated with public health schools and they may work to give each other high peer rankings as US News is biased in favor of schools in concentrated geographical locations and doesn't take value for the student into account.

On the flip side, Brown has had steadily worked for decades on their global health program and others and they bring an Ivy League comprehensive approach to a public health school that resulted in their applications skyrocketing the past year. Brown's dean Dr. Ashish Jha is very knowledgeable on global health issues (one of the people like Fauci and Walensky you know it pays to listen when they give an interview as their answers are concise yet well thought out and insightful) and correctly raised the importance of helping India during it's current covid peak which could be the worst this country faces . . . easily provokes tears if you watch what is happening in India now . . . I feel that Brown is very well positioned to work on achievable public health goals in the US and globally going forward. BU just seems super focused on a narrower range of topics and mostly domestically.
Eh, this doesn't match almost every review I've seen of BU on this and other forums lol. Students seem to really love it there lol and so do lots of faculty, so I'm not sure where this idea of a low student satisfaction or a grab bag comes from. Not to discount those who have had negative experiences, just offering an alternative view.

Dean Galea, much like Dean Jha, is also a superstar, who left Columbia to go to BU and clearly believes in the future of BUSPH. He's is investing a lot of time and energy into continuing to build the school, all the way from changing the curriculum some 5-6 years ago to actively, publicly and firmly infusing antiracism into the education. So I think it's no surprise the school has risen in the rankings. He's also incredibly accessible (like respond to every email, mostly within an hour kind of accessible). BU also has a seriously underrated global presence, I found 7 professors working specifically in a geographic area that I couldn't find at any of the other schools I applied to. My one big problem with BU is it's just ridiculously expensive on the whole.

Sure, I think some questionable choices were made wrt to COVID, but I'd also say COVID messed with almost every school - we all saw Columbia's admissions and financial aid offices this year were wild lol and some schools have just not responded to students, like at all. Also, schools like Hopkins (my top school) and Yale continue to have some fraught relationships with the communities around them.

Also, Brown SPH is younger than BUSPH and only became CEPH accredited in 2016?

All in all, this is why I think everyone should spend the time and do their own research, talk to people who have gone to these schools and taught at these schools. It's the best way to get the most accurate, real-time feel, and decide what's best for you.

UCLA Admissions said they will contact me by the end of this month, do you think I will really hear from them by that date?
In my country, it cannot happen that a university does not keep its promises.

Last edited:
I don’t know if anyone is that active on here anymore but I was offered a full time job offer with really good pay and benefits and I turned it down due to grad school in the fall. I’m having a really hard time accepting that and was hoping anyone can give me some advice. Sometimes I even feel like emailing her back and asking if I can still take it but I know I won’t be able to handle full time work and full time school

• Care
I don’t know if anyone is that active on here anymore but I was offered a full time job offer with really good pay and benefits and I turned it down due to grad school in the fall. I’m having a really hard time accepting that and was hoping anyone can give me some advice. Sometimes I even feel like emailing her back and asking if I can still take it but I know I won’t be able to handle full time work and full time school

Some schools let you defer for a year, if it is a public health job in the area you want to work in full time, I might consider doing that and re-applying or deferring for a year, if it isn't work you love then probably do something else, at least that is what I would do though there is A LOT I don't know about you and your situation.

It really helps to write up a list of positives and negatives and write up a three-year and five year plan and think about it this move takes you to where you want to go.