MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sophas verified my gpa as a 2.8 and I'm so upset :drowning:
I worked super hard to turn my gpa around- my first two years were really rough. I retook a lot of classes, so I guess that's why it verified so low
anyone know if schools generally look further at the gpa breakdown? or at school vs sophas gpa? i had a major upswing from fresh/soph to jun/sen with cumulative gpas from those years being 2.15 vs 3.53.
just feeling really dejected- the idea of being desk rejected because of my first two years sucks.
schools told me they look at everything. every transcript and every activity you provide in determining admission

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from UIC?? My application has been under review for about 6 weeks. Wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat or has gotten a response:)
I'm in the same boat! Not many people have posted about applying to UIC, so I'm not sure about the timeline.
I heard back exactly 1 month after I applied, I'm sure you'll receive your decisions soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely understand that frustration!! I had a rough semester mentally Fall 2019, really brought down my GPA. Worked extremely hard Spring and Summer 2020 to bring it back up. My GPA at my university is a 3.62, my SOPHAS verified was a 3.35. I went from being very confident with my application to being very worried. I imagine/hope programs look at the linear growth! I also think being able to bring your University GPA that much is impressive and shows perseverance to succeed! Maybe touch on that in your personal statement!
I also have heard from so many people that schools look at your application very holistically! Grades are just one piece of it. I wouldn't worry too much you've got this!!
schools told me they look at everything. every transcript and every activity you provide in determining admission
this all made me feel so much better. I know theres not much I can do now anyways- just gotta wait it out. thanks guys 💙

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my application back on 12/1 and haven't received that email. Did you have anything else to do after you submitted the supplemental?

Same here! I submitted on 12/1 too and never got that email
Me too! I submitted like November 23rd and I never got an email. I sent them an email today asking if my application is complete so hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked super hard to turn my gpa around- my first two years were really rough. I retook a lot of classes, so I guess that's why it verified so low
anyone know if schools generally look further at the gpa breakdown? or at school vs sophas gpa? i had a major upswing from fresh/soph to jun/sen with cumulative gpas from those years being 2.15 vs 3.53.
just feeling really dejected- the idea of being desk rejected because of my first two years sucks.

Don't lose hope!! I had to retake a lot of courses too so my GPA wasn't as high as I'd hoped for, despite a strong upward trend, so don't worry we're all on the same boat here :)

• Care
Hi guys,

I didn't notice many people applied or mentioned Loyola U. I probably missed it. But if anyone applied there, did you receive an email saying that your application is complete? Or did the school send you an email to check the portal? Or does anyone know the timeline when you will receive a response? I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago but have not heard anything.

My sophas gpa is 2.88 you're not alone my first two years were bad due to extenuating circumstances and I turned it around and been making the dean's list ever since. I talked to a few admissions directors ( U of Arizona, Rutgers, and UIC just to name a few) and they said they look at applicants holistically. As long as you have public health experience you will get in keep your head up!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly I think public health is one of those fields where passion is way way more important than grades/GPA. At least this was the sense that I had when doing interviews/speaking with admission office ppl.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
On another note has anyone heard back from Washington University in St. Louis? Don't see a lot of acceptances from that school here.

Hi!
I have a question to those who applied to Columbia HPM concentration and who were invited to an interview.
How was it going on?

I’m curious to know what you all think about this: do you think that more people this year are applying to MPH programs this year vs an average year due to the COVID situation, or so you think it is less people than usual? I think there are points that support both sides, but wondering if anyone has any ideas/insight. Personally, the lack of GRE requirement (due to COVID) helped me out a lot this year and i wonder if that has driven more people to apply. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m curious to know what you all think about this: do you think that more people this year are applying to MPH programs this year vs an average year due to the COVID situation, or so you think it is less people than usual? I think there are points that support both sides, but wondering if anyone has any ideas/insight. Personally, the lack of GRE requirement (due to COVID) helped me out a lot this year and i wonder if that has driven more people to apply. What do you guys think?
Just my two cents, but I've been getting admission decisions at a similar pace compared to previous years, so I'm not sure whether applications have substantially increased. That being said, I definitely think it's getting more competitive — many people probably didn't know "public health" meant a year ago but the interest into public health will definitely grow in the next few years, although it might take a few years before we see like a substantial "bump" in applications.

Last edited:
Did anyone else just get another email from Yale about Innovating through Collaboration? I haven’t gotten a decision yet but they keep sending me emails about the program and it makes me think a decision may be coming soon

Did anyone else just get another email from Yale about Innovating through Collaboration? I haven’t gotten a decision yet but they keep sending me emails about the program and it makes me think a decision may be coming soon

I got it as well but I do not think it's related to the timeline of the decision. It looks like many have gotten their decision even before getting such emails. I guess, it is just a waiting game for all of us. However, someone had said that Wednesdays are D-days for Yale, so tomorrow might be yours :)

yes! my heart dropped again thinking it was a decision haha especially because my application is still officially in review

I've been thinking about this too! I actually read a few articles about how medical school applications soared this year, and I have heard the same even about law school anecdotally from friends. So I assume similar trends would be present for MPH programs. A combination of waived GRE requirements and more people becoming interested in public health due to COVID could certainly push things this way. As someone who has also struggled to find a job in this pandemic (even in the field of public health), I would not be surprised if more people were going back to or staying in school in lieu of searching for employment during this difficult time. I have heard from others that a similar trend occurred during the 2007-2009 recession. Plus, from what I know MPH programs are quite profitable for universities, so while some programs may be getting cut as universities are losing money during the pandemic, others like the MPH may be critical for financial support (meaning they may be admitting the same numbers or even more people). But would be interested in hearing others' thoughts and speculations!

I got the email as well even though I didn't end up applying. I think it's just a mailing list and isn't related to admissions.

Perhaps you can try to contact the department of Health Policy at the school to ask whether you can apply to the program and be considered meeting the priority deadline considering you met the priority deadline for the other program at the school? Please dont kick yourself because no one needs to get hurt :)

Good luck.
Excellent advice!

I am conducting digital health research at an Ivy and work closely with a lot of the SPH faculty here; from what I have heard, the GRE waiving has led to a pretty hefty increase in applications for this school in particular, and so I imagine it has for others as well (at least those that normally require GRE!). Also, COVID has probably made a lot of people consider getting a graduate degree in public health.
Not relevant to this forum, but PhD applications are also drastically up likely due to GRE being waived, and there are less spots than usual (schools have had to cut funding because of financial losses due to COVID).

Reactions: 5 users
For people interested in the MCH Certificate at Emory, I know that the fellowship deadline is February 1st. Do you guys think that Emory will send out admission decisions with enough time to apply for the certificate?

For people interested in the MCH Certificate at Emory, I know that the fellowship deadline is February 1st. Do you guys think that Emory will send out admission decisions with enough time to apply for the certificate?
I have no idea, but I would recommend just doing the application regardless since we won't know for sure when we will get decisions. The application isn't that bad so it won't take too long to do!

Got an email saying that My BUSPH Application Is Complete :)
I sent my supplemental application by November 3rd and haven't received any emails confirming the status of my application! -_- Did anyone else have this problem?

Applying for Columbia's HPM MPH. Got an email early January inviting me to a student interview but has not heard back since. Has anyone actually received an actual invitation or did the interview?

I sent my supplemental application by November 3rd and haven't received any emails confirming the status of my application! -_- Did anyone else have this problem?
Yes, had the same concern! I emailed them last week and while they never responded to my email, an hour or so after I sent it my application was sent to review so it seems they just needed a nudge.

Applying for Columbia's HPM MPH. Got an email early January inviting me to a student interview but has not heard back since. Has anyone actually received an actual invitation or did the interview?
Got the email mid-December inviting me to interview and did the interview a few days after Christmas.

Hi, has anyone heard back from NYU? I read they released a batch of decisions at the end of December but was wondering when they would release another. I saw last year they released some decisions around this time.

Hi, has anyone heard back from NYU? I read they released a batch of decisions at the end of December but was wondering when they would release another. I saw last year they released some decisions around this time.
hey, I heard back from NYU on the 11th of Jan and they received my sophas application on the 30th of November, so you should be hearing from them soon!

hey, I heard back from NYU on the 11th of Jan and they received my sophas application on the 30th of November, so you should be hearing from them soon!
Oh, okay! Thank you!

I was invited to interview on 01/06 and had my interview on 01/09.

Yes, had the same concern! I emailed them last week and while they never responded to my email, an hour or so after I sent it my application was sent to review so it seems they just needed a nudge.
I just sent them an email! Hopefully, my application will be sent for review asap.

On another note has anyone heard back from Washington University in St. Louis? Don't see a lot of acceptances from that school here.
I applied! Did the merit scholarship interview in December but haven't heard anything else since then. I think I saw on their website those who applied by their priority deadline will receive a decision by 2/1, so hopefully we'll get good news soon :)

• Care
I applied in early October, got the notification of the interview on Friday (1/15), received the official invitation to schedule the interview today (1/19), and scheduled it for tomorrow (1/20).
Best of luck with your interview! I'm sure the student will reach out to you with details soon.

If you got into GWU, is there an applicant portal?

Could anyone give some insight into the student life at Brown and Yale as a graduate student? I know that both programs have students coming in doing a 5-year program. Do you think that interrupts the social life of the cohort when there are undergraduates from the school there?

Emailed Columbia with questions about my letters of recommendation and also asked about decision timeline estimate. For sure very end January/early February. So Hopefully next week?

Reactions: 6 users
Emailed Columbia with questions about my letters of recommendation and also asked about decision timeline estimate. For sure very end January/early February. So Hopefully next week?
i hope so! i'm not sure if decisions will be different by department

finally got my YSPH Application Complete email! and now we... wait :')))

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone already appealed for more aid?

Has anyone already appealed for more aid?
I got the master tuition scholarship at hopkins and additionally submitted CSS profile info (international student) to see if I could get any need-based aid. I also haven't heard back from three schools so I'm waiting to see if they offer any scholarships.

edit: I haven't heard back from 3 schools as in I haven't gotten an admission decision yet for those 3.

I got the master tuition scholarship at hopkins and additionally submitted CSS profile info (international student) to see if I could get any need-based aid. I also haven't heard back from three schools so I'm waiting to see if they offer any scholarships.

edit: I haven't heard back from 3 schools as in I haven't gotten an admission decision yet for those 3.
Did they give you any need based aid?

yes! my heart dropped again thinking it was a decision haha especially because my application is still officially in review

Let us see how tomorrow plays out. I believe 2PM (eastern) is when the emails go out :)

Has anyone heard back from the UNC MPH in Health Equity, Social Justice, and Human Rights (EQUITY) program?

I was just about to ask the same thing. I applied before the priority deadline and it’s past the 4-6 week period

Hi there! I applied on 12/1 and actually heard back from them a week later on 12/8. I applied to the Austin campus though, not the Houston campus. Maybe that makes a difference when they send decisions out?