MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey congrats!! That's awesome! When did you apply? I applied to the same program and I'm still waiting to hear back.

Thank you! They received my application on 11/19 and gave me my Friend account info. My application was marked complete on the portal on 11/27 after my last letter of rec was submitted. Hoping you hear good news from them soon!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah for reals, those are good schools you got into already. JHU is already #1 :rolleyes::lol::rofl:

I'll let other people pad your ego, should they deem that's necessary 😬

I dont think that it is about the ego here. Each person has his/her top choice of program depending on the concentration that he/she wishes to pursue. Rtr mentioned in his/her reply that he/she wants to pursue Policy as the concentration. It makes sense that he/she is anxiously waiting for a response from Yale, as JHU might not be the best option for this concentration.

As with others, I applied to several programs. It is so that I can choose the best program for my career path.

My $0.02.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’M CRYING 😭 I just got my first acceptance into the University of Minnesota for CHP! this is one of my top two choices so I was shocked to receive the acceptance! For someone who often feels like they aren’t good enough, especially in the academics (3.02 SOPHAS GPA 🥴), it feels great knowing that this school believes in me and my dedication to public health.
Also thanks to everyone on this forum! I admire how we all support and validate each other. I wish you all happiness and success in your lives 💛
Congratulations!!!!❤️❤️❤️ I am so happy with you to learn about first acceptance. Wish you many more in next months :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if your app needs to be verified before Columbia deadline? I submitted mine on Monday and still not verified. Although on Columbia's portal it says they have my SOP but not my other documents. I'm kind of confused and getting so nervous considering the final deadline is tonight :oops:
No, I emailed them and they said that they will continue to accept some documents (transcripts, etc) until about one week after the deadline of January 15th.

Would anyone be willing to review my SOP!! I just read over UMD SOP requirements and it has to be 2 pages double spaced. I am trying to figure what I need to remove from my original version

I can look it over and give you my 2 cents if you'd like :)

Just received my acceptance to Tufts MPH for Health Services Management and Policy!
Application under review around December 10, 2020

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone heard back from yale executive MPH or JHU part time online MPH?
I got into JHU part-time online MPH on 01/06/2021 !
Submitted application: 11/30/2020
Application under review: 12/03/2020

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this was already answered, but does Berkeley usually send out acceptances mid-February?

Sorry if this was already answered, but does Berkeley usually send out acceptances mid-February?
According to the past posts on the Grad Cafe, it seems it's usually in mid-Feb to beginning of March.

Incase your toefl is less than 100 and sophas has sent the application with toefl score to others without us opting on the application to review and applying N/A and waived, how to get it changed after verification ? How did sophas even add the score when it was meant for only 1 college and not others where score was above 100. Is the score not considered when medium of language is English for img even when sophas added the score. Please Help.

You might want to contact Sophas directly to ask for help. Only they can help you with this issue.

I feel like I am very late to the game, but I might as well.... I was very apprehensive about applying to MPH programs since I have such a low GPA, but I've already heard promising news from one of my top choices (not the official acceptance, but I was told I was admitted already- I am waiting for my official acceptance since they haven't released decisions yet!)

Undergraduate School/School type: UNC Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.96
Major/minor:
Global Studies and Anthropology Double Major
Grad GPA (if applicable):
N/A
Grad studies (if applicable):
N/A
GRE(including date taken):
Did not take

Experience/research:

2 years working at non-profit for low-income students across the nation
Research lab assistant for 1 year in undergrad
(Was accepted to Peace Corps in 2018 for HIV/AIDS coordinator in South Africa but was not cleared medically 2 months before departure 😞)

Letters of Rec:

Current Boss - Director of the program that I am a part of
Current Supervisor - Boss that I directly communicate with
Anthropology Professor from Undergrad from one of my fav classes

Interests:

Global Health specifically focusing on Maternal, Child, and women's health.

Applied:
UNC MCH (12/1), UW GH (12/1), UChicago New Epidemiology and Global Health MPH (12/1), Emory GH (12/17), BU MCH (12/2), Brown (12/2), CSU GH-MCH (12/17), UPenn (12/17), Vanderbilt GH (12/17), CGU HPEE (12/17)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I am very late to the game, but I might as well.... I was very apprehensive about applying to MPH programs since I have such a low GPA, but I've already heard promising news from one of my top choices (not the official acceptance, but I was told I was admitted already- I am waiting for my official acceptance since they haven't released decisions yet!)

Undergraduate School/School type: UNC Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.96
Major/minor: Global Studies and Anthropology Double Major
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken): Did not take

Experience/research:
2 years working at non-profit for low-income students across the nation
Research lab assistant for 1 year in undergrad
(Was accepted to Peace Corps in 2018 for HIV/AIDS coordinator in South Africa but was not cleared medically 2 months before departure 😞)

Letters of Rec:
Current Boss - Director of the program that I am a part of
Current Supervisor - Boss that I directly communicate with
Anthropology Professor from Undergrad from one of my fav classes

Interests:
Global Health specifically focusing on Maternal, Child, and women's health.

Applied:UNC MCH (12/1), UW GH (12/1), UChicago New Epidemiology and Global Health MPH (12/1), Emory GH (12/17), BU MCH (12/2), Brown (12/2), CSU GH-MCH (12/17), UPenn (12/17), Vanderbilt GH (12/17), CGU HPEE (12/17)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:
what was your top choice?

I hope you get in! my GPA is 2.95 and I was nervous about applying *fingers crossed
YES FINGERS CROSSED! I was very disheartened when I started applying since I believed that most schools would just chuck out my application when they say the GPA. Emory told me in the email they sent that they look more for passion and interest above all else. I had extenuating circumstances and health issues in undergrad that kept me from classes and class work so I wanted to get ahead of that when I started applying and have been in contact with all my schools about my GPA, my interests, and just generally just putting my name out there and asking to meet with and talk with whoever would be willing to set up a meeting with me. So hopefully it will pay off! Good luck with your acceptances!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello Fellow MPH enthusiasts! This is my first post on SDN. I hope you are all doing well and a happy 2021!

Undergraduate School/School type: Seattle Pacific University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.36
Major/minor:
Major Chemistry
Doctor in Pharmacy at Touro College
GRE(including date taken):
n/a

Experience/research:
Pharmacist at Aids Healthcare Foundation, WHO intern, and NY DOH intern

Letters of Rec:
1-Former Employer, 2-Pharmacy Professors

Interests:
Global Health; Health Communication and Promotion; Health Policy and Law; Infectious Disease; and Pharmaceutical Development, Delivery, and Access.

Applied:
UCLA, UC Berkley, Hopkins, and Boston U (working on the application process right now)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Reactions: 5 users
Question for everyone: if you could get in anywhere and money wasn't an issue, which school/program would you choose and why?

Question for everyone: if you could get in anywhere and money wasn't an issue, which school/program would you choose and why?
Columbia. I was really impressed by their program, variety of certificates and courses and I would love to live in NYC. The networking opportunities are also a huge plus.

Reactions: 4 users
Happy Monday Everyone!! Wishing everyone a week of good news

Reactions: 20 users
I also have this on my portal for HMP, I am hoping it’s not a rejection however I saw other people who applied on this forum said they had a interview for the HMP program. This makes me extremely worried because no one contacted me for an interview. I’m feeling like it’s gonna be a rejection now.🥺🥺
Have you heard anything from UMICH HMP since the decision update on the portal?

What a hard question!! Maybe, Vanderbilt? Its a small program in a great city, and I was really impressed when I spoke with the admissions counselor.

Epidemiology and health policy and management. When did you apply?
I applied before the priority deadline, so a couple of weeks ago ish. I am kicking myself for not applying to the health policy concentration as well, in case i don’t get into Epi :/

I applied before the priority deadline, so a couple of weeks ago ish. I am kicking myself for not applying to the health policy concentration as well, in case i don’t get into Epi :/

Perhaps you can try to contact the department of Health Policy at the school to ask whether you can apply to the program and be considered meeting the priority deadline considering you met the priority deadline for the other program at the school? Please dont kick yourself because no one needs to get hurt :)

Good luck.

Got an email saying that My BUSPH Application Is Complete :)

Reactions: 6 users
I was filling out the BU supplemental app and accidentally clicked the "yes, I'm affiliated with BU" option even though I'm not. I went to the next step and then went back to double-check, but now I can't change my answer? I haven't submitted the app yet but the question is basically locked now. I emailed them but I'm not sure what to do- has this happened to anyone else? thank u guys!!

Did anyone hear anything from UT-Houston in the recent days?

I was filling out the BU supplemental app and accidentally clicked the "yes, I'm affiliated with BU" option even though I'm not. I went to the next step and then went back to double-check, but now I can't change my answer? I haven't submitted the app yet but the question is basically locked now. I emailed them but I'm not sure what to do- has this happened to anyone else? thank u guys!!

I dont apply to BU. But have you tried logging out of the app and log back in to change the answer?

yes! This happened to me. I emailed the admission officer and let them know that it was an accident and I am not affiliated with BU. They just told me to proceed with saying "Yes" and that they'll make a note of it. you should just email them cuz there was no way I could go back and fix my answer

Reactions: 2 users
yes! This happened to me. I emailed the admission officer and let them know that it was an accident and I am not affiliated with BU. They just told me to proceed with saying "Yes" and that they'll make a note of it. you should just email them cuz there was no way I could go back and fix my answer
oh thank u so so much! this helps a lot. I've emailed them so hopefully I hear back tomorrow.

Those who applied to Columbia by the priority deadline should be hearing back this week, correct? I am so nervous.

• Wow
Those who applied to Columbia by the priority deadline should be hearing back this week, correct? I am so nervous.
According to the forum posts last week people heard back closer to the end of January (so next week?)

Is Boston supposed to come out this week? I tried looking in the other forum but it was so many pages and I'm not sure how to search specific things on my phone!

Is Boston supposed to come out this week? I tried looking in the other forum but it was so many pages and I'm not sure how to search specific things on my phone!
I hope so! I saw that some people started receiving decisions around 1/21

Got an email saying that My BUSPH Application Is Complete :)
I submitted my application back on 12/1 and haven't received that email. Did you have anything else to do after you submitted the supplemental?

I applied to Yale back in September and my application was verified in November. People who applied way after me are hearing their decisions already, so I’m assuming I’m getting rejected again lol. Anyone have any insight?

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!! Love seeing all of these acceptance posts and hopefully this will bring us all some good luck in the coming weeks. I’ve been constantly checking my email like a crazy person! My apps weren’t officially in until late last week because of one last letter of rec (I was SOPHAS verified by the end of December though!) wish I got everything in a little earlier because the waiting is agony!

Undergraduate School/School type: Moderately sized East coast (mid Atlantic region) public university - has a good health sciences program
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.92 (SOPHAS)
Undergrad Major/minor: Health Behavior Science with Minors in Public Health and Business Administration
GRE(including date taken): didn’t take! Thank goodness because I truthfully wasn’t confident in my abilities in this area especially with all of the COVID stress this year

Experience/research:
- 2.5 years as clinical research coordinator at university/hospital (primarily liver disease), had an opportunity to work on COVID research from spring-summer 2020 as well which was a plus! (Right out of undergrad - current). Authorship on a few papers/poster presentations over this time period
- internship at state dept of public health in infectious disease division (senior year undergrad)
-undergrad research assistant on nutrition initiative project (school lunch program for elementary/day care facilities) for professor of one of my research stats classes (senior year of undergrad)
- volunteer program through my major: traveled to teach nutrition curriculum to middle/elementary school students throughout the state (senior year of undergrad)
- internship at large nonprofit (summer after junior year of undergrad)
- volunteer position at clinic in my hometown focused on providing care for people in community with lack of access to insurance, opportunity to somewhat brush up on my Spanish skills (summer after soph year of undergrad)
- member of alpha phi omega service fraternity from soph-senior year

Letters of Rec:
- professor of 2 of my undergrad Public Heath courses and supervisor for my undergrad research (one of the directors of the Public Health minor at my school)
- supervisor of my internship at the state dept of Public health in the infectious disease division
- PI/supervisor for my current research job(director of the division so I’m hoping this will be a strong one!)

Interests: epidemiology/biostats (I’d be interested in focusing on chronic disease and maybe eventually cancer Epi, as I truly enjoy the work I do now with chronic liver disease. But my COVID work and my past internship with infectious disease has sparked my interest in that realm as well), global health/health disparities

Applied:

Accepted: BU (MPH in chronic/non communicable disease with 35% scholarship, but want to add on the epi concentration as well. Sent for review 1/14 accepted 3/12), Columbia (epi MPH sent for review 1/12, accepted 2/2), Tufts (epi/biostats MPH sent for review 1/12, accepted 2/3), Pitt- Epi MPH with $1k scholarship/semester (app sent for review 1/5-accepted 1/13. Only required 2 LoR), Icahn (Epi MPH-app sent for review 1/15, accepted 1/19), Drexel (Epi-MPH with $15k deans scholarship- app sent for review 1/13, accepted 1/21), Temple (Epi MPH- app sent for review 1/13, accepted 1/22), Penn (MPH generalist- app sent for review 1/15, accepted 2/8)
Rejected: none!!!
Waitlisted: none
Attending: unsure :/

I’m super excited to have a few acceptances at this point, a little bit of weight off my shoulders. I know Columbia is sort of a long shot especially because their priority deadline was in December, but that would be really cool to get in. A lot of friends live in NYC and I’m very interested in their program, but I know how competitive it can be (and not sure how this year affects app volumes) I have family in Boston and the public health scene up there interests me, but I’ve heard conflicting things about BU (if it comes down to tufts and BU I’m not sure what I’d do). ***EDIT 2/3: wow I somehow got into Columbia and tufts ??? Now I have NO IDEA WHAT TO DO***
My permanent address and current job is in PA so one of the Philly schools would be the most convenient and probably cheaper, but we will have to see what happens! Anyway, any input would be great- I think my letters of rec and GPA are strong but honestly looking at this forum has stressed me out a little, y’all are so accomplished! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone!! Love seeing all of these acceptance posts and hopefully this will bring us all some good luck in the coming weeks. I’ve been constantly checking my email like a crazy person! My apps weren’t officially in until late last week because of one last letter of rec (I was SOPHAS verified by the end of December though!) wish I got everything in a little earlier because the waiting is agony!

Undergraduate School/School type: University of Delaware
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.82 (SOPHAS)
Undergrad Major/minor: Health Behavior Science with Minors in Public Health and Business Administration
GRE(including date taken): didn’t take! Thank goodness because I truthfully wasn’t confident in my abilities in this area especially with all of the COVID stress this year

Experience/research:
- 2.5 years as clinical research coordinator at university/hospital (primarily liver disease), had an opportunity to work on COVID research from spring-summer 2020 as well which was a plus! (Right out of undergrad - current). Authorship on a few papers/poster presentations over this time period
- internship at state dept of public health in infectious disease division (senior year undergrad)
-undergrad research assistant on nutrition initiative project (school lunch program for elementary/day care facilities) for professor of one of my research stats classes (senior year of undergrad)
- volunteer program through my major: traveled to teach nutrition curriculum to middle/elementary school students throughout the state (senior year of undergrad)
- internship at large nonprofit (summer after junior year of undergrad)
- volunteer position at clinic in my hometown focused on providing care for people in community with lack of access to insurance, opportunity to somewhat brush up on my Spanish skills (summer after soph year of undergrad)
- member of alpha phi omega service fraternity from soph-senior year

Letters of Rec:
- professor of 2 of my undergrad Public Heath courses and supervisor for my undergrad research (one of the directors of the Public Health minor at my school)
- supervisor of my internship at the state dept of Public health in the infectious disease division
- PI/supervisor for my current research job(director of the division so I’m hoping this will be a strong one!)

Interests: epidemiology/biostats (I’d be interested in focusing on chronic disease and maybe eventually cancer Epi, as I truly enjoy the work I do now with chronic liver disease. But my COVID work and my past internship with infectious disease has sparked my interest in that realm as well), global health/health disparities

Applied: Columbia (epi MPH-1/12), Tufts (epi/biostats MPH-1/12), BU (MPH in chronic/non communicable disease but want to add on the epi concentration/certificate as well-1/14), Icahn (Epi MPH -1/14), Drexel (Epi MPH-1/13), Temple (Epi/biostats MPH- 1/13), Penn (MPH generalist- 1/15)

Accepted: Pitt- Epi MPH with $1k scholarship/semester (app verified on 1/5-acceptance email came on 1/13. Only required 2 LoR)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

I’m super excited to have an acceptance at this point, a little bit of weight off my shoulders. I know Columbia is sort of a long shot especially because their priority deadline was in December, but that would be really cool to get in. A lot of friends live in NYC and I’m very interested in their program, but I know how competitive it can be (and not sure how this year affects app volumes) I have family in Boston and the public health scene up there interests me, but I’ve heard conflicting things about BU (if it comes down to tufts and BU I’m not sure what I’d do). My permanent address and current job is in PA so one of the Philly schools would be the most convenient and probably cheaper, but we will have to see what happens! Anyway, any input would be great- I think my letters of rec and GPA are strong but honestly looking at this forum has stressed me out a little, y’all are so accomplished! Good luck everyone!
Do you know if applying to Columbia after Dec.1st but before Jan.15th decreases your chance of admission? I emailed the admission officer but they gave a very vague answer.

Do you know if applying to Columbia after Dec.1st but before Jan.15th decreases your chance of admission? I emailed the admission officer but they gave a very vague answer.
Good question! Not 100% sure but I would say the priority deadline gives you a better shot at scholarships etc! For admissions. I feel like in some way it may be more selective after Dec 1 which is what is making me nervous haha, but I agree I feel like I always am seeing different answers

I submitted my application back on 12/1 and haven't received that email. Did you have anything else to do after you submitted the supplemental?
Same here! I submitted on 12/1 too and never got that email

sophas verified my gpa as a 2.8 and I'm so upset :drowning:
I worked super hard to turn my gpa around- my first two years were really rough. I retook a lot of classes, so I guess that's why it verified so low
anyone know if schools generally look further at the gpa breakdown? or at school vs sophas gpa? i had a major upswing from fresh/soph to jun/sen with cumulative gpas from those years being 2.15 vs 3.53.
just feeling really dejected- the idea of being desk rejected because of my first two years sucks.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone heard from UIC?? My application has been under review for about 6 weeks. Wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat or has gotten a response:)

Has anyone heard from UIC?? My application has been under review for about 6 weeks. Wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat or has gotten a response:)
I'm in the same boat! Not many people have posted about applying to UIC, so I'm not sure about the timeline.

I worked super hard to turn my gpa around- my first two years were really rough. I retook a lot of classes, so I guess that's why it verified so low
anyone know if schools generally look further at the gpa breakdown? or at school vs sophas gpa? i had a major upswing from fresh/soph to jun/sen with cumulative gpas from those years being 2.15 vs 3.53.
just feeling really dejected- the idea of being desk rejected because of my first two years sucks.
Completely understand that frustration!! I had a rough semester mentally Fall 2019, really brought down my GPA. Worked extremely hard Spring and Summer 2020 to bring it back up. My GPA at my university is a 3.62, my SOPHAS verified was a 3.35. I went from being very confident with my application to being very worried. I imagine/hope programs look at the linear growth! I also think being able to bring your University GPA that much is impressive and shows perseverance to succeed! Maybe touch on that in your personal statement!

I also have heard from so many people that schools look at your application very holistically! Grades are just one piece of it. I wouldn't worry too much you've got this!!