May 13, 2020
I am guessing that people who got their application to Yale sent for review before the holiday break are receiving their decisions now. I applied before the deadline but my application only got submitted for review the day after their holiday break. I have not received an email today. Maybe next week? Who knows?

Dec 6, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
For Yale, did you get a separate email saying your app had been sent into review? I applied on 12/15, got the "Application Received by YSPH" email which did say "We have begun the initial process of reviewing your application and will contact you via e-mail if any items are missing." on 12/17, and then the email from the Associate Director of Admissions on 12/21, but nothing else...
I've been wondering this too! I also never received an e-mail about my app being sent for review (applied 12/15), so maybe they just haven't gotten to our batch yet.

About the Ads
Dec 10, 2020
Status
I am guessing that people who got their application to Yale sent for review before the holiday break are receiving their decisions now. I applied before the deadline but my application only got submitted for review the day after their holiday break. I have not received an email today. Maybe next week? Who knows?
Yale received my application 11/30 and sent it for review 12/7 - I haven’t heard back yet! I applied to SBS, so I think it’ll depend on the department.

Dec 25, 2020
Yale received my application 11/30 and sent it for review 12/7 - I haven’t heard back yet! I applied to SBS, so I think it’ll depend on the department.
Mine was sent to review around the same time for SBS. Here's hoping we hear decisions next week 🤞

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 3, 2020
Status
Here's my timeline (for the EMD concentration)...
I got my personalized URL ("Yale School of Public Health Application" email) on November 23, 2020
"Application Received by YSPH" email on Dec 7, 2020
"YSPH Application Complete" email on December 20, 2020
Decision email on January 13, 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sep 9, 2020
Status
Did everyone get the "YSPH Application Complete" email? I did not.

About the Ads
Aug 26, 2020
Status
  1. Other Health Professions Student
From the responses, I am beginning to think that most of us who are waiting for decision from Yale are SBS applicants.

I applied to the APMPH - SBS track on 11/29 and got the personalized url email on 11/30. Then got the app recvd email 12/7, app complete email on 12/14. Currently waiting for the decision.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020
Status
Also heard from Yale! Accepted into HCM -- what a crazy day. Application was sent for review on 12/20. I'm rooting for everyone still waiting to hear back from Yale and more!!!!

Reactions: 9 users

KaramazovB

2+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2016
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Okay, I am slightly paranoid I applied to JHU wrong...I am wanting to do the full-time MPH... Applied to the "MPH - Full Time for Summer (July) 2021"

Looking to focus on Social & Behavioral Sciences in Public Health or Aging and Public Health but I honestly don't remember choosing a concentration when I applied on SOPHAS. Yikes, help! Thanks all

Bumping this again in case anyone knows!

Dec 25, 2020

dr.j.a.

2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2018
Does anyone know if Yale competes with other financial aid packages? I received the 20k Horstmann scholarship and I was wondering if they would match a financial aid package offered to me by a different school?

About the Ads
Jan 13, 2021
Does anyone know if Yale competes with other financial aid packages? I received the 20k Horstmann scholarship and I was wondering if they would match a financial aid package offered to me by a different school?
I read a post from last year's thread and someone said they emailed Yale about increasing their financial aid package. The financial aid officer said that they don't usually offer more aid because they actually overcommit (since they assume that some students who are admitted with aid will reject the offer). It can't hurt to ask, though? They seem very open to questions.

Nov 5, 2020
Status
Congratulations on your acceptance! Hi, did you receive any info on scholarship or aid provided by the school?
they said no because i applied after the scholarship consideration deadline of 12/1

Aug 9, 2020
Status
  1. Medical Student
Currently a medical student thinking about taking a year off before residency applications, figured that I would apply and figure things out later. My interest in public health is a later interest, so I have a lot of basic science experience prior to now. Not sure how competitive I am or how being a medical student is weighted. Have not heard back from a single school yet lol so here goes!

Undergraduate School/School type: Top Midwest University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.64
Major/minor: Major in Biology, Minor in Music
Grad GPA (if applicable): Pass/Fail at my medical school
Grad studies (if applicable): Third year medical student, East Coast
GRE(including date taken): MCAT 516, didn't take GRE

Bolded most relevant experiences:
Research:
- 1 year neurophysiology lab at my undergrad university
- 1 summer in genetics/psychiatry lab at JHU
- 1 summer in neurobehavioral lab at university in Japan
- 1 summer in interventional psychiatry lab at Stanford
- 3 years in cognitive neuroscience lab at my undergrad university
- 1 summer in pediatric neuro/psych refugee health at Karolinska Institute in Sweden. Studied resignation syndrome, which is a neuropsychological condition only affecting refugee children where they deteriorate into a comatose-like state after a traumatic event.
- ~2.5 years research for the resiliency curriculum at my medical school.
Publications: Only a few of these are public health related, most are basic science. All summer research funded by various grants/fellowships.
- 2 publications
- 1 abstract
- 3 oral presentations
- 11 poster presentations. 1st place poster at global health symposium

Work:

- 1 year working in a private dermatology clinic
- Studied abroad in Denmark, medically related program

Volunteer:
- 1 year English tutoring for refugee support organization
- 2.5 years as director of my school's asylum clinic. We provide medical evaluations and write legal affidavits for asylum seekers, and provide expert declarations supporting release from detention centers due to COVID19.
- 2 years working for human rights/aviation NGO. We use donated frequent flyer miles to book flights reuniting refugees families.
- few months temperature screening at local hospital during COVID
- 2 years participation in health policy discussion group at my medical school.

Letters of Rec:

1) Med school psychiatry professor who I work with for the asylum clinic
2) Health policy group facilitator who has had high positions in AMA, Peace Corps, etc.
3) Supervisor for research at Karolinska

Interests: Refugee health and emergency medicine. Looking for programs that have a big social justice focus, particularly in relationship to forced migration and displacement

Applied: Harvard (MPH Global Health), Karolinska Institutet (MSc Global Health), London School of Economics (MSc Health and International Development), London School of Economics (MSc International Migration and Public Policy)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Reactions: 3 users
Jan 14, 2021
Finally submitted my apps last night, so I figured it was time for this post :)
Honestly very nervous about my chances getting in anywhere!!! Good luck everyone and happy application season :)

Undergraduate School/School type: Tiny school in NC mountains
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/(Higher, major upward swing last 2 years)
Major/minor: Environmental Health/ International studies
GRE(including date taken): N/A

Experience/research:
-Study abroad in Fiji, studied development and economic geography

-During sem abroad:
1) multiple research projects for course work; field visits to informal settlements, interviewing residents
2)worked on larger project sponsored by World Bank to address infrastructure needs in an informal settlement. again, interviewed residents and collected data
-Undertook independent exploratory research project examining rapid urbanization and globalization in the Melanesian region and how this is impacting capacities of public health institutions
*abstract accepted for presentation at 2 major conferences; cancelled due to COVID
-Currently working as a contact tracer in resposne to COVID

Letters of Rec:
- Head of my major (and advisor!)
-Professor I worked with on my independent research project
-Prominent professor in my major
I know these recommenders will give me very strong LORs

Interests:
Small island developing states
infectious disease epidemiology
neglected tropical diseases

Applied: UNC (MPH; Applied Epi) Colorado SPH (MPH; Global Health Epidemiology) Emory (MPH; Global Epidemiology) Tulane (MPH&TM) JHU (MSPH; GDEC) GWU (MPH; GDEC)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 29, 2020
Status
Shocked, received an update from Yale that I was awarded the 60k Horstmann Scholarship. Admission was enough!! So, so grateful (and it took almost the full 10 days to receive, so don't lose hope for aid!)

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
About the Ads

pimoa

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Status
Shocked, received an update from Yale that I was awarded the 60k Horstmann Scholarship. Admission was enough!! So, so grateful (and it took almost the full 10 days to receive, so don't lose hope for aid!)
congratulations! did you have to apply for the scholarship separately?

Nov 1, 2020
Status
Is anyone else feeling impatient and a bit disheartened? Last I heard from a school was nov 24. I submitted all my apps before nov 15, before some of the people who have already heard from Columbia and Yale...
I applied to the policy programs if that makes any difference. If they already passed my app I wish they would just send a rejection now.

Reactions: 5 users
May 13, 2019
Status
  1. Dental Student
Is anyone else feeling impatient and a bit disheartened? Last I heard from a school was nov 24. I submitted all my apps before nov 15, before some of the people who have already heard from Columbia and Yale...
I applied to the policy programs if that makes any difference. If they already passed my app I wish they would just send a rejection now.
I am sure there are many schools
still reviewing the application. Also, it's just January. You shouldn't lose hope so soon. Hold on tight, who knows you may soon hear from the program you wish to be in!
Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 29, 2020
Status
I just wanted to say I read your profile you posted earlier and you seem very well positioned and passionate, and I am sure you will hear good news soon! I applied to schools at the end of September and am now just hearing back from those that aren't rolling in the traditional sense. Hang in there and believe in yourself!

Dec 10, 2020
Status
Echoing all of the responses to this, I applied around the time you did and have only heard from 2 programs. It all depends on the departments and their review processes. You'll probably hear from multiple programs in the next few weeks!

Sep 9, 2020
Status
Just got an email from Yale saying that my application is complete!!! Hopefully, I hear back soon :)

Jan 16, 2020
Status
I haven't gotten anything except confirmation emails, and most of mine were in by mid November as well so you aren't alone! Looking at previous forums it looks like Brown did a big release on the 15th the past two years, so hopefully some news tomorrow!

Dec 1, 2020
Status
i didnt realize people had heard from columbia

Aug 26, 2020
Status

@rtr2020 I wouldn't despair at all. Judging by your profile signature, you have been accepted some of the best schools that many of us on SDN would trade in a heartbeat. You've got into 4 out of the 9 schools that you applied to; that roughly 50% hit.

There are many of us, such as myself, waiting for at least one acceptance (even if it is not the one we want to go to), just to boost our "confidence". For the record, I have applied to 6 schools for different programs (none of them "safe" schools) and not heard from anyone :)

I am not trying to be philosophical, or as Panda would wisely put it - "kung-fuey" or anything but, I strongly believe in- "If it is meant to be, it will happen".

Even if I get admitted to any of the programs that I applied to, I don't know how I am going to come up with the money for this, the stimulus check is not going to last that long!

Aug 26, 2020
Status
Is anyone else obsessively checking their emails hoping that Emory will come out this week?!
I was told by the admissions office today that Emory would be releasing the decisions in the next few weeks. Not sure if this week would be it.

Reactions: 4 users
Dec 14, 2020
I was told by the admissions office today that Emory would be releasing the decisions in the next few weeks. Not sure if this week would be it.

They sure did give a very vague answer. I think everyone is excepting the release within the next few weeks already anyway 😩

• Haha

KaramazovB

2+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2016
Status
  1. Pre-Medical

Yeah for reals, those are good schools you got into already. JHU is already #1 :rolleyes::lol::rofl:

I'll let other people pad your ego, should they deem that's necessary 😬

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads