MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who weren’t awarded any financial aid. What are your other options?
does the school you're choosing offer tuition discounts for TA/RA positions? that could def help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just committed to Hopkins part-time program! Thankful I got them to waive the enrollment deposit because yeesh $600 on top of loans and tuition is unnecessary lol.

I also just declined my spots at GWU, Tufts, BU, and Columbia so good luck to everyone waiting to get off those waitlists! Hopefully that'll clear up a spot for yall! :)

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Can someone post the link to decline Brown and Berkeley? I'm so lost in finding them in my piles of emails. 😅

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Due to a number of reasons I have to defer:cryi: huge bummer. So thankful for all your support through this ordeal lol and so excited to watch yalls journeys!

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Is it insane if I commit to one program tomorrow and if I regret it, I commit somewhere else since I have an extension at another school until mid-May? I'm truly undecided between my top 2 because of cost and curriculum. :cryi:

Reactions: 2 users
Just committed to Hopkins part-time program! Thankful I got them to waive the enrollment deposit because yeesh $600 on top of loans and tuition is unnecessary lol.

I also just declined my spots at GWU, Tufts, BU, and Columbia so good luck to everyone waiting to get off those waitlists! Hopefully that'll clear up a spot for yall! :)
Just FYI, that $600 deposit is counted towards tuition, so you eventually pay it either way (Tuition and Fees). But always nice to kick it down the road!

View attachment 334807

Check with @mackeral if the whole estranged relative thingy worked out. I am pretty sure he/she would have found one, had it not been for social distancing.

Too bad, a lot of people did not come out of the woodwork because of it!!! :cool: :rofl:
Yeah, unfortunately it hasn't happened yet. I'm not giving up hope though 😉

Seriously though, I'm taking out a scary amount of loans (all federal). I've made the decision for a number of reasons, and I trust myself to be making the right decision here. But looord looking at that number 😨 (esp with my loans from undergrad...)
I did get work study (like 4k), so I'll be getting a job on campus, and probably somewhere else part time. I've saved a good chunk of money so far, but I think I'm going to use what I have to pay off my one private loan from undergrad and my credit card, and save whatever else I can from here until then, relying on loans otherwise. I live on the coast, so I should be able to bank a decent amount working part time this summer serving tables. Even though the loan's a small one, the interest rate is crazy high, so the idea of getting rid of it makes me feel a lot better. But depleting my savings this close also has me on edge.

Hoping to find some sort of fellowship next year to help cover my second year, maybe even some sort of scholarship for spring sem. But thats my plan for fall.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, unfortunately it hasn't happened yet. I'm not giving up hope though 😉

Seriously though, I'm taking out a scary amount of loans (all federal). I've made the decision for a number of reasons, and I trust myself to be making the right decision here. But looord looking at that number 😨 (esp with my loans from undergrad...)
I did get work study (like 4k), so I'll be getting a job on campus, and probably somewhere else part time. I've saved a good chunk of money so far, but I think I'm going to use what I have to pay off my one private loan from undergrad and my credit card, and save whatever else I can from here until then, relying on loans otherwise. I live on the coast, so I should be able to bank a decent amount working part time this summer serving tables. Even though the loan's a small one, the interest rate is crazy high, so the idea of getting rid of it makes me feel a lot better. But depleting my savings this close also has me on edge.

Hoping to find some sort of fellowship next year to help cover my second year, maybe even some sort of scholarship for spring sem. But thats my plan for fall.
Just committed to Columbia! Also taking out a scary amount of loans, at least for the first year. I tried to talk myself out of going almost daily since being accepted because the cost is scary, but it was really getting to the point where I felt like I’d wonder “what if...” for the rest of my life. I don’t want to live with that kind of regret, and I have some family support if things are a little rough post-grad.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Just committed to Columbia! Also taking out a scary amount of loans, at least for the first year. I tried to talk myself out of going almost daily since being accepted because the cost is scary, but it was really getting to the point where I felt like I’d wonder “what if...” for the rest of my life. I don’t want to live with that kind of regret, and I have some family support if things are a little rough post-grad.
I really relate to this. I almost didn't even apply to the trop med track at Tulane because I thought I wouldn't get in, even though it was my dream program.
Personally, I think I'm done doubting my gut.

Reactions: 1 users
I officially registered for classes this morning, so I guess it’s time to bid the thread adieu! Hopefully I’ll see some of you around GW and in the PH world soon!

Reactions: 12 users
Hi, all! I am currently battling between Dartmouth and Emory for my MPH and I'm honestly quite torn between the two. Both are accelerated 12 month programs, the concentration I was admitted for at Emory is Health Policy & Management. My end career goal is to pursue dentistry and I'm applying for dental schools this upcoming cycle, that being said the MPH is not something I am "just doing to do." If I had planned out my academic timeline better I always intended to pursue a DMD/MPH track. I am really torn between the two options and would love any opinions/feedback anyone has!!

Does anyone know who to email to ask for an extension for Emory?
I would just email admissions, but someone in the GroupMe already asked for an extension and they said they wouldn't grant one because they expect to be at full capacity for enrollment due to the increased number of applications.

Hi, all! I am currently battling between Dartmouth and Emory for my MPH and I'm honestly quite torn between the two. Both are accelerated 12 month programs, the concentration I was admitted for at Emory is Health Policy & Management. My end career goal is to pursue dentistry and I'm applying for dental schools this upcoming cycle, that being said the MPH is not something I am "just doing to do." If I had planned out my academic timeline better I always intended to pursue a DMD/MPH track. I am really torn between the two options and would love any opinions/feedback anyone has!!
I would take into consideration the location and where you think the connection you'd make would be most valuable to you! Since an MPH isn't your end goal, which is what I also considered since medical school is my end goal, I thought about location and what program and area would most benefit me in the work I want to do! I chose JHU because not only is it a well-known and great program, but the area of Baltimore and the population I can work with and opportunities in connections I could pursue would help me most in what I want to do with expansion of healthcare access to underserved population and improve health equity, etc. Either way, both of your programs are great and your degree will be what you make of it so you can't pick wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any UMN Epi group? Can someone pls share the link if so. Thank you!

For those who are attending Hopkins or interested, are you satisfied with your financial aid package?

Officially committed at UIC!!. Congrats to everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Officially committed to Columbia and declined my offers from BU and Brown. It just about broke my heart to decline my Brown acceptance (partially because I never imagined I would be accepted) but I am confident Columbia is the right program for me. Extremely grateful to even have these options and thankful for this community who encouraged my to apply in the first place. I hope this forum can help guide future MPH applicants and help encourage more people to join this fantastic and important field! Congrats everyone-this was an insanely competitive admissions year and I am thrilled for everyone to continue on their journey in Public Health!

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
For those who are attending Hopkins or interested, are you satisfied with your financial aid package?

I haven’t gotten mine yet. Is anyone else still waiting for their package?

1618515036482.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Is there any UMN Epi group? Can someone pls share the link if so. Thank you!
There’s the FB group for the SPH fall 2021 class and a groupme You're invited to my new group '2021 Minnesota SPH' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Anyone know if anything terrible happens if you commit to more than one place (aka pay more than one deposit)? I want to see if Columbia lets me change my program (to Biostatistics from Epidemiology) and in case they don't, I feel like I would like to put down a deposit at Berkeley because their MPH is Epidemiology/Biostatistics. Kind of scared one might find out and like rescind my acceptance??? Does anyone know about this?

Does anyone know if there is somewhere online to decline for BU? Or do we have to email them

For anyone who committed to UC Berkeley (woot!) via the SIR, confirming there was no deposit? Weird because every other program has one...

Hi, did anyone else put deposits down at more than one school? I'm applying to a dual degree program and won't hear back until summer and I feel so torn and stressed still while it feels like everyone else has decided. Just wanted to vent a little and see if anyone is in the same boat :')

Hi, did anyone else put deposits down at more than one school? I'm applying to a dual degree program and won't hear back until summer and I feel so torn and stressed still while it feels like everyone else has decided. Just wanted to vent a little and see if anyone is in the same boat :')
I am literally struggling with this right now. I was waitlisted at one dual program (law) but admitted to the public health program.... but the other law school I'm likely depositing at is affiliated with a different program.

Anyone know if anything terrible happens if you commit to more than one place (aka pay more than one deposit)? I want to see if Columbia lets me change my program (to Biostatistics from Epidemiology) and in case they don't, I feel like I would like to put down a deposit at Berkeley because their MPH is Epidemiology/Biostatistics. Kind of scared one might find out and like rescind my acceptance??? Does anyone know about this?
Bumping this!

Bumping this!
I’ve seen multiple people double deposit. I’ve never heard of anyone’s offer getting rescinded because of it. If you think about it, people who are waitlisted have to deposit somewhere while still waiting. Yes, It holds up a spot, but once you follow up and decline, provided they have space, they call someone up from the waitlist.

Last edited:
  • Care
Yale committed baby!!! I cant believe we're here, good luck to you all! thankyou for being a community I could come to so I didn't feel so alone in the process. wishing the best <3

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I just missed the deadline to decline Columbia.
Imagine if there were someone who missed the deadline to accept it.

I just missed the deadline to decline Columbia.
Imagine if there were someone who missed the deadline to accept it.
Guess that means you're stuck in going to Columbia. Hand over your wallet.

They touched on this during their Admitted Student Week seminars. Essentially they said you can change your department/concentration up until you finish CORE, so long as you can make a good case to your advisor that you have the skills necessary in order to make that transition. They don't want students setting themselves up to fail. Someone feel free to chime in on this incase I'm providing outdated or faulty information.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Guess that means you're stuck in going to Columbia. Hand over your wallet.

They touched on this during their Admitted Student Week seminars. Essentially they said you can change your department/concentration up until you finish CORE, so long as you can make a good case to your advisor that you have the skills necessary in order to make that transition. They don't want students setting themselves up to fail. Someone feel free to chime in on this incase I'm providing outdated or faulty information.
i think yes usually but departments are full or will br full in the fall this year ao ask the department now about how they feel about it

Accepted my offer to Hopkins yesterday for Global Disease Epi & Control <3 still can’t believe I’m going honestly. Super excited!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Also thank you all for your support :) good luck at your schools! For anybody still deciding, good luck!!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Just got off the waitlist and was given an offer at Harvard (MPH-65 in Health Management)! Is there a forum or group for the incoming class?

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Hi everyone!
I’m new here so I hope I’m in the right forum. I just wanted some advice. I originally was only going to apply to two mph programs in NY (Im from NY), which were CUNY SPH and NYMC. CUNY was my top choice since it has cheaper tuition and I loved its values on social justice. My family encouraged me to apply to other universities in the area so I did.I was admitted to NYU’s MPH program with the concentration of Health Policy and Management. I was really surprised so I thought I had a shot at CUNY. Unfortunately I was rejected, instead they offered me take their certificate program and if maintain a B average I can reapply for the program. I’m not sure what to do here. I like CUNY and it’s tuition but I’m not guaranteed a spot. While NYU has fully accepted me but it’s crazy expensive. I’m not going to lie the idea of going to NYU is putting me in a dream state and honestly I love the curriculum as well. I asked for both schools to give me an extension so I can have more time to decide. What would you guys do?

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist for BU or Yale yet?

Undergraduate School/School type: Large State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Magna Cum Laude
Major/minor: B.S. in Biological Sciences
Grad GPA (if applicable): Cum Laude
Grad studies (if applicable): Healthcare
GRE(including date taken): Verbal 96th percentile, Quant 70th percentile, Writing 4/6

Experience/research: Systematic Reviews, data collection

Letters of Rec: 3 (one professor, two mentors from work)

Interests: Health Policy

Applied: UCLA, Berkeley, Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Johns Hopkins (all one-year MPH programs) and LSHTM/LSE joint program
Accepted: UCLA, Columbia, Yale +$, Johns Hopkins
Rejected: Berkeley, Harvard, LSHTM/LSE
Waitlisted:
Attending: Johns Hopkins

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
A round of applause for everyone here. Thanks y'all for getting through application anxiety with me during the past couple of months. There were literally days where I was refreshing this forum page every 5 minutes--I really felt a sense of belonging here, seeing a lot of us were in the same boat. Congratulations to everyone on your achievement, and best of luck to those who are still waiting on their dream offer! :barefoot:

Will be attending MS in Epidemiology and Clinical Research at Stanford Medicine this fall. Hmu if anyone is also going!! :clap:

Again, best of luck to everyone, and congratulations!! :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
A round of applause for everyone here. Thanks y'all for getting through application anxiety with me during the past couple of months. There were literally days where I was refreshing this forum page every 5 minutes--I really felt a sense of belonging here, seeing a lot of us were in the same boat. Congratulations to everyone on your achievement, and best of luck to those who are still waiting on their dream offer! :barefoot:

Will be attending MS in Epidemiology and Clinical Research at Stanford Medicine this fall. Hmu if anyone is also going!! :clap:

Again, best of luck to everyone, and congratulations!! :soexcited:
When did you apply to Stanford? I thought the decisions normally come out in May?

lol still here waiting for ucla to say something :') got an extension by my other top programs though, so let's see how that works. congrats everyone!!!!

Hi everyone!
I’m new here so I hope I’m in the right forum. I just wanted some advice. I originally was only going to apply to two mph programs in NY (Im from NY), which were CUNY SPH and NYMC. CUNY was my top choice since it has cheaper tuition and I loved its values on social justice. My family encouraged me to apply to other universities in the area so I did.I was admitted to NYU’s MPH program with the concentration of Health Policy and Management. I was really surprised so I thought I had a shot at CUNY. Unfortunately I was rejected, instead they offered me take their certificate program and if maintain a B average I can reapply for the program. I’m not sure what to do here. I like CUNY and it’s tuition but I’m not guaranteed a spot. While NYU has fully accepted me but it’s crazy expensive. I’m not going to lie the idea of going to NYU is putting me in a dream state and honestly I love the curriculum as well. I asked for both schools to give me an extension so I can have more time to decide. What would you guys do?
CUNY is a weird school. They didn’t promise you any spot in their MPH program even if you complete their certificate with a B which they told you about...so they really offered you nothing. CUNY ranking went down from 23 to 31 anyways recently so I wouldn’t worry about them. NYU on the other had offered you a guaranteed MPH spot. It’s an internationally recognized name. Perhaps you can email the person who sent you the admission letter at NYU , tell them your financial situation, and ask them if they can help you with a scholarship or grant. There are also schools like Mt Sinai and SUNY downstate that may be cheaper but not ranked nearly as high as NYU. Also a lot of highly ranked online programs out there. With this virus a lot of the in person programs are online anyway. However if your heart is set on NYU, send them an email..

Reactions: 3 users
Oh no, I take zero credit for putting this together! These resources were something I saw shared a few times in this thread.
Aww, I made the 2020 spreadsheet last year. So glad to see people are still using it!!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
CUNY is a weird school. They didn’t promise you any spot in their MPH program even if you complete their certificate with a B which they told you about...so they really offered you nothing. CUNY ranking went down from 23 to 31 anyways recently so I wouldn’t worry about them. NYU on the other had offered you a guaranteed MPH spot. It’s an internationally recognized name. Perhaps you can email the person who sent you the admission letter at NYU , tell them your financial situation, and ask them if they can help you with a scholarship or grant. There are also schools like Mt Sinai and SUNY downstate that may be cheaper but not ranked nearly as high as NYU. Also a lot of highly ranked online programs out there. With this virus a lot of the in person programs are online anyway. However if your heart is set on NYU, send them an email..
Thank you so much responding! CUNY’s tuition was really what I wanted but I'm not confident that they will accept me after the certificate program. I've spoken to NYU asking how students fund their degree and explained that I've lost my job so money is a big issue. They just gave me the typical admission answer and told me to fill out my fafsa, though kind not helpful. Is negotiating a financial aid package possible? I have my fingers crossed for mount Sinai I have yet to hear from them.

Aww, I made the 2020 spreadsheet last year. So glad to see people are still using it!!!
Thank you for making the spreadsheet. I piggybacked on it and added the 2021. Hope the trend continues for years to come!

• Love