MPH or MHA degrees for hospital administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceblueprincess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to work in hospital administration and want to pursue a master degree.
The point is my gpa is terrible (2.43) and I know that I have no chance on enrolling in top schools. So to offset my gpa, I study very hard to have an amazing score both in TOEFL and GRE to be able to influence admission people. Eventhough my GPA is that bad, all of my statistics and mathematics classes were A and B levels. Also I have some extracurricular activites; I had danced for 8 years, I am very fluent in French (It is also second language for me) and I was awarded first place twice (one of them was a poet contest and the other was in an english quiz show) I also have a little volunteer working experience in a very small health facility.
It is very hard to find the correct school as an international student, the only thing that i can research is rankings and accreditations but I know that all these things are not enough to apply for the right school.
I am interested in New York Medical College,Xavier University,Indiana-Purdue University, University of Missouri. What do you think about these schools? (reputation, academic succes, city atmosphere...etc) I am a permanent resident card holder of United States and I want to live in DC or NY after my graduation so if I study in Xavier, am I going to be able to find a job in DC? Of course schools are not supposed to find a job but I really wonder about the national reputations of these schools.I am very appreciated for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for the MHA degree. If you are competing for a healthcare position and its between you (an MHA grad) and an MPH grad, you'll definitely have a leg up! Plus, you won't have to take public health classes that you will not perhaps be necessarily interested in and can just focus on the business aspect of healthcare. As far as schools, I am not familiar with any of the ones you mentioned, but definitely inquire whether or not they will require prior work experience---I kinda fell into this loop this application period, since the economy is not that great right now, people with work experience are getting back into the school world, and are competing with people like us who are recent or close to recent grads---especially in business related degrees (and programs like work experience). MPH not as much since most people who pursue MPHs are right from undergrad (or close to it). Good luck!