MPH to MD possible with high MPH gpa and high MCAT but low undergrad GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rak19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I’m really looking for some solid advice because my situation is always a little different from other people on here. So I graduated last May with a degree in biology with a 2.98 cum gpa (sGpa is a little lower). I’m currently enrolled in an MPH program that takes approximately 2 years to finish. During those 2 years I’m spending the first one working on my MPH, doing research (I already have 2 publications) and studying to retake my MCAT. The second year I’m planning to get a job in a hospital while I apply to medical school in the coming cycle. My biggest weakness is my undergrad gpa. Will getting a really high gpa in my MPH program help push me into med school contention? I just finished my first MPH quarter with a 4.0. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

It may help you for some DO schools. What was your MCAT score ?
495, only studied a month and half prior on the first attempt, aiming for a much higher score the next try and giving myself 7 months prep time

Members don't see this ad :)
If possible take enough science courses at a local community college to raise both your sGPA and cGPA to 3.0 before you apply. Otherwise you may be screened out at many schools. You also need to increase your MCAT to at least 500.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d shoot for at least a 505 and preferably a 510 for DO schools. That’s a little high, yes, but many schools average scores and your undergrad GPA is low, even for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a similar story and stats to yours. Most SDN’ers will tell you MPH grades don’t impress anyone, no shot at MD, etc. But I’ve had two MD IIs. I’ll PM you with details!

I have a similar story and stats to yours. Most SDN’ers will tell you MPH grades don’t impress anyone, no shot at MD, etc. But I’ve had two MD IIs. I’ll PM you with details!
Could you share your story with me as well? In a similar boat right now

Happy to share with you both, will PM. I did end up interviewing at 3 MDs and am now an MS1 :)

Could you also PM me please? I'm def in the same boat! Thanks so much

Omg! I am in the same boat right now! I'd love to get your input on this and hear about your experience, if you don't mind sharing!!

7 month MCAT is way too long to prep. Try to trim it to 3 months preferably.