This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Touro-Middletown MS vs. PCOM MS

• Touro-Middletown MS

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • PCOM MS

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters

armadilloarmadillo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have been planning on attending TouroCOM Middletown's 1-year Master's program next year, which has a guaranteed acceptance into their DO program if you obtain a 3.5 GPA and pass the comprehensive exam. Apparently ~50% of the MS students reach this goal (according to a professor there), which is great. It worries me that this is a new campus, however, so there are no definitive stats. Also the building, which is the entire campus, is kind of...depressing. Not my ideal location, either, but if it was my only shot to the DO then I'd absolutely deal with it.

However, I just found out I was also accepted to PCOM's MS program in Philly. In this program, there is no "bridge" to the DO which is a huge negative for me. But the program/school sounds highly reputable and focuses more on research, which is great. The program is 2 years for the Master's or 1 year for a certificate. According to their site, 54% of students go to MD/DO schools after completion of the program and 17% go to other grad schools (http://www.pcom.edu/program-statistics/dashboards/MS in Biomedical Sciences Program Statistics.pdf). I am from the Philly area and would love to be back home around family and friends, as well as possibly have a better shot at DO/MD programs in Philadelphia after completion of this program. Could also save a fair bit of money by moving home.

Basically I'm wondering if I should go with Touro-Middletown as the safer bet, and if I would have any chance at getting into med schools if I attended PCOM given my poor uGPA. A little background on me:

-Graduated undergrad in 3.5 years with a BAD science GPA (~2.1 I think), 2.9 overall. It was an Ivy league that did not grade-inflate, if that matters. Minored in Inequality Studies.
-505 MCAT, 524/527/525/529. Would definitely be willing to retake; I know I could do better.
-Involved in infant research at school for 3 years and psychology research at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia last summer.
-Significant experience working in hospitals, but not a ton of shadowing experience since high school. I've been working for a few months as an admitting receptionist in the ER after I graduated early.
-Brother in a community service fraternity, paid writer for school paper, member of marching band.
-(Hopefully) excellent LOR from my P.I./Professor. I also think I'm generally able to articulate myself well in essays. For my MS apps I talked a lot about my experience with inequality studies and tying this into volunteering with my service frat.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you graduated? Have you thought about doing grade replacement??

I would recommend re-takings science classes that you got C- on instead of the masters. Then, try to improve your mcat and buff EC even more then you'd have a good shot at getting into programs you actually want or like.

When did you graduated? Have you thought about doing grade replacement??

I would recommend re-takings science classes that you got C- on instead of the masters. Then, try to improve your mcat and buff EC even more then you'd have a good shot at getting into programs you actually want or like.

Grade replacement going from a 2.1 sGPA and 2.9 cGPA to respectable levels (3.5) GPA is going to be very difficult and long. If the OP really wants to become a physician, I would say go with the Touro's program for an early assurance.

OP, know that this is your last chance to get into DO school. You absolutely NEED to do well from here on out. With your low GPA from beforehand, you really need to work hard and ace that program, or else you'll have to find another career as well as pay your student debt. Forget about EC's and MCAT right now. Focus on your GPA. Your MCAT is fine for DO.

It's a gamble, and only OP can know how well he can handle these classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@mathnerd88: Thanks for your input! I definitely know I need to work very hard next year to prove myself no matter where I go. I only mentioned the MCAT because I would re-take the test sometime next year if I were to choose PCOM, since I would need to actually apply to their DO school/possibly other schools after the 1st or 2nd year. Given my uGPA, I would want the best possible MCAT score. With Touro I wouldn't need to retake the test since I'm already in for the guaranteed linkage.

I just found out that 55% of PCOM MS students at some point--either after the 1st or 2nd year of the program--matriculated into PCOM's DO school. This is a very hopeful stat but I'm not totally sure how uGPA factors into these admissions decisions given the explicit "not-a-linkage" MS program. This is what I was just told by a helpful PCOM admissions counselor when I asked: "GPA from the first year of the MS program is very important. If you can handle graduate level science coursework at PCOM then you are in good shape for a professional program... You have a legitimate shot if you work hard, develop a strong science foundation and meet the requirements set forth for the DO program." So it sounds like the program GPA is weighted more heavily than uGPA, which is good news.

Also @cassis_Cake: I graduated early, this past January, and I've been working in the ER and in my research lab since graduation. I'm not currently taking classes so I can't focus on my GPA right now (@mathnerd88--you talked about this). I asked and was advised by my counselor not to re-take any courses...I think so many people at this school do poorly in the weed-outs that if everyone re-took their C-'s and D's it would be insane, haha. I think the fact that I came from an Ivy may have helped with my admission to these two programs, but who knows for sure. I was also accepted into TCMC's MS program, LMUcom-DeBusk's post bac, Rosemont College's post bac, and was rejected from LECOM's post bac, Drexel's post bac, and Nova's post bac (if this gives you an idea of what type of candidate I am. Clearly very much of an "on the fence" candidate). I would love to attend PCOM but I don't want to miss my (potentially only) chance of getting the DO with Touro. Even if the campus is new, a degree is a degree. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Also I'm a girl, by the way! The "frat" may have thrown you off, but it's a co-ed one. Thanks again to you both for your input!

Hi everyone, I just got invited to an interview for the MS program in NY. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips about the interview and the MS program itself! thank you :)

I think I would do TouroCOM-NY. The facility, although one building, is insanely nice inside. Direct linkage with a guaranteed acceptance into the program. Can't go wrong.

Only you can decide though.

@mathnerd88: Thanks for your input! I definitely know I need to work very hard next year to prove myself no matter where I go. I only mentioned the MCAT because I would re-take the test sometime next year if I were to choose PCOM, since I would need to actually apply to their DO school/possibly other schools after the 1st or 2nd year. Given my uGPA, I would want the best possible MCAT score. With Touro I wouldn't need to retake the test since I'm already in for the guaranteed linkage.

I just found out that 55% of PCOM MS students at some point--either after the 1st or 2nd year of the program--matriculated into PCOM's DO school. This is a very hopeful stat but I'm not totally sure how uGPA factors into these admissions decisions given the explicit "not-a-linkage" MS program. This is what I was just told by a helpful PCOM admissions counselor when I asked: "GPA from the first year of the MS program is very important. If you can handle graduate level science coursework at PCOM then you are in good shape for a professional program... You have a legitimate shot if you work hard, develop a strong science foundation and meet the requirements set forth for the DO program." So it sounds like the program GPA is weighted more heavily than uGPA, which is good news.

Also @cassis_Cake: I graduated early, this past January, and I've been working in the ER and in my research lab since graduation. I'm not currently taking classes so I can't focus on my GPA right now (@mathnerd88--you talked about this). I asked and was advised by my counselor not to re-take any courses...I think so many people at this school do poorly in the weed-outs that if everyone re-took their C-'s and D's it would be insane, haha. I think the fact that I came from an Ivy may have helped with my admission to these two programs, but who knows for sure. I was also accepted into TCMC's MS program, LMUcom-DeBusk's post bac, Rosemont College's post bac, and was rejected from LECOM's post bac, Drexel's post bac, and Nova's post bac (if this gives you an idea of what type of candidate I am. Clearly very much of an "on the fence" candidate). I would love to attend PCOM but I don't want to miss my (potentially only) chance of getting the DO with Touro. Even if the campus is new, a degree is a degree. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Also I'm a girl, by the way! The "frat" may have thrown you off, but it's a co-ed one. Thanks again to you both for your input!

Hi! I'm curious to know what you chose to do. Do you mind sharing your experience?

Well how many people get into Touro's DO program? I heard its like the top 35 students... and you must have a 3.5 gpa and pass the comprehensive exam. How many students are there from the beginning? Hope it would be less, b/c less students = less competition.

I did another post bacc and i got into Medical school luckily and everyone who met the requirement was in, and the req. was FAR less.... But doesn't matter, once your a doctor doesn't matter really where you came from as long as your in a residency (hopefully the one of your choice).

But to answer the OP's Q, I would say do Touro, PCOM doesn't have guaranteed admission, but at least Touro has one if you meet the req. but damn those Matriculation requirements for the DO program at Touro are brutal. Expect fierce competition among your classmates and to avoid confrontation....

Anyone telling you to waste 2 years for a masters with no linkage doesn't know how to play the game. Go to the Touro one and get into med school.

Well how many people get into Touro's DO program? I heard its like the top 35 students... and you must have a 3.5 gpa and pass the comprehensive exam. How many students are there from the beginning? Hope it would be less, b/c less students = less competition.

I did another post bacc and i got into Medical school luckily and everyone who met the requirement was in, and the req. was FAR less.... But doesn't matter, once your a doctor doesn't matter really where you came from as long as your in a residency (hopefully the one of your choice).

But to answer the OP's Q, I would say do Touro, PCOM doesn't have guaranteed admission, but at least Touro has one if you meet the req. but damn those Matriculation requirements for the DO program at Touro are brutal. Expect fierce competition among your classmates and to avoid confrontation....

There numbers for direct matriculation with the gpa are in the low 20s. 35 is just an upper limit as 35 usually do not get in with the gpa. Actually, the more students the better, since we are graded on a curve. The curve becomes more normal with a larger population. Thus, those who really deserve to get in will.

When looking at SMPs, you have to look at pros and cons. While other schools may not offer direct matriculation, it may be that more students ultimately get into medical school. Georgetown's SMP accepts around 15%, but many get into MD and DO programs. If you are not one of the top 20% in touro's program, you may have some difficulty getting into medical school should you not do as well as the top of the class. You could end up getting a low GPA even though you may have been a good student coming into the program. Something to think about.

There numbers for direct matriculation with the gpa are in the low 20s. 35 is just an upper limit as 35 usually do not get in with the gpa. Actually, the more students the better, since we are graded on a curve. The curve becomes more normal with a larger population. Thus, those who really deserve to get in will.

When looking at SMPs, you have to look at pros and cons. While other schools may not offer direct matriculation, it may be that more students ultimately get into medical school. Georgetown's SMP accepts around 15%, but many get into MD and DO programs. If you are not one of the top 20% in touro's program, you may have some difficulty getting into medical school should you not do as well as the top of the class. You could end up getting a low GPA even though you may have been a good student coming into the program. Something to think about.
so about 20 people matriculate to touro's DO via the masters?
But how many Touro NY MS students are there? jw. Not that i'm trying to do that program, i'm already a medical student, jw.. I may give advise to some other people I know.

Anyone telling you to waste 2 years for a masters with no linkage doesn't know how to play the game. Go to the Touro one and get into med school.
agreed. i did a 1 year post bacc and got in.. i know someone doing a 2 year masters at Boston university... not sure if its a guaranteed linkage. But tbh, idc if its a post bacc or a masters, As long as I get that piece of paper after 4 years that all I give a $hit about.