MSPH Biostats (Tulane) vs. MSPH Epi (Emory)???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nocheesepls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could really use some help in deciding between these programs!

I feel like the biostatistics degree is more versatile - you can get a job in statistics, analytics, or epi stuff and it's definitely more applied and would certainly be useful if I decide to go on to get my PhD.

However, I feel like Emory offers more opportunities for experience (CDC, CARE, etc.) and just generally has a slightly better reputation.

So to what extent does the merits of a biostatistics degree outweigh the Emory educational experience or does it?

Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not a biostat at emory? They have a MPH/MSPH program.

I've only been accepted into the epi department there. Now I can't submit an app to the biostats dept through SOPHAS because I've already sent that designation out. I've contacted the biostats department there to see what I can do about applying now. I've also thought about entering as epi and maybe transferring to biostats later if I perform well in the first biostats courses, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only been accepted into the epi department there. Now I can't submit an app to the biostats dept through SOPHAS because I've already sent that designation out. I've contacted the biostats department there to see what I can do about applying now. I've also thought about entering as epi and maybe transferring to biostats later if I perform well in the first biostats courses, etc.
You might be able to take quite a few biostats electives as an epi student at Emory-might be worth looking into.

When I visited Emory prior, you are able to switch in to a different department (if it's not too full). Another thing to consider when switching though is that the biostat courses at Emory are sequential, so if you were epi first semester, you might not be able to take the 2nd semester biostat courses unless you take all the biostat core classes first semester, as not all of the classes offered 1st semster are available 2nd semester. I'm deciding between mph/msph biostat at Emory and when I talked the department representative, they said that I would have to choose by the 1st week of classes.

All the alumni that I've been in contact with have spoken really highly of Emory, as such, it is my first choice right now.

The Biostats department got back to me saying that I would need to have taken Calc III (which I haven't) to be considered for their biostats program. So pretty much it's Epi at Emory or Biostats at Tulane. I'm at Emory now for a visit and I go to Tulane soon so I guess I'm just going to have to decide based off the visits.

I think I might have to let my subconscious take over and go with a gut feeling on making the decision. Thanks for all your input!

The Biostats department got back to me saying that I would need to have taken Calc III (which I haven't) to be considered for their biostats program. So pretty much it's Epi at Emory or Biostats at Tulane. I'm at Emory now for a visit and I go to Tulane soon so I guess I'm just going to have to decide based off the visits.

I think I might have to let my subconscious take over and go with a gut feeling on making the decision. Thanks for all your input!

Is it possible for you to take calc 3 before fall classes start? I'm currently taking a linear algebra class, and was still accepted when I told them I was taking an online class in the spring.