MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody tell me what are my chances for MSUCOM 2010 entry class with these stats:

Canadian (not US citizen)
Honours Biology
GPA: 3.74
sGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 10 phy/ 4 ver/ M/ 10 bio = 24M
Volunteering done
some club
normal EC

Is english your first language?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to separate this post into two parts just in case it gets long...

1. Questions:
-For those of you who have a decision, how long did it take after being complete to get said decision?
-Thoughts on a letter of intent? Would that be a good idea?
-People who have visited, can one visit without an invitation? Would this be advisable? I have seen the school- I'd just like to chat with people and see the DO specific facilities.

2. Thoughts behind the questions: I had a long and terrible weekend. I'll spare most of the details, but the important part is that I spent a lot of time thinking about med school, comparing curricula and working through some scenarios. It came down to the simple fact that I want to go to MSUCOM. I have 21 applications out, but in reality, I could have just applied DO to 2 schools and been equally satisfied (not to mention slightly more financially solvent). I've decided that if I get an acceptance, I'm going to withdraw my allo apps. This is mostly because there's no need to hold interview slots (should I get any) if my heart is set on MSUCOM. Such an act would be kind of a big deal for me because I am relatively new to the DO mindset, but the more I think about it, the more sure I am that this is where I want to be.

Thanks for help with the questions and for listening to my rant. Best of luck everyone :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to separate this post into two parts just in case it gets long...

1. Questions:
-For those of you who have a decision, how long did it take after being complete to get said decision?
-Thoughts on a letter of intent? Would that be a good idea?
-People who have visited, can one visit without an invitation? Would this be advisable? I have seen the school- I'd just like to chat with people and see the DO specific facilities.

2. Thoughts behind the questions: I had a long and terrible weekend. I'll spare most of the details, but the important part is that I spent a lot of time thinking about med school, comparing curricula and working through some scenarios. It came down to the simple fact that I want to go to MSUCOM. I have 21 applications out, but in reality, I could have just applied DO to 2 schools and been equally satisfied (not to mention slightly more financially solvent). I've decided that if I get an acceptance, I'm going to withdraw my allo apps. This is mostly because there's no need to hold interview slots (should I get any) if my heart is set on MSUCOM. Such an act would be kind of a big deal for me because I am relatively new to the DO mindset, but the more I think about it, the more sure I am that this is where I want to be.

Thanks for help with the questions and for listening to my rant. Best of luck everyone :luck:

To help with one of your questions, yes, you can visit and tour MSU without an invitation. I went on a tour a couple of weeks ago, and not everyone had been accepted. If I were you, I would just call and see what days are available.

Good luck! It sounds like you have done your research on the program. There is still a lot of time left in the admissions process.

Yes, you should definitely go visit and from the way your posts sounds you have completely made up your mind so I do hope you get in and it might be a good idea to let MSU COM know that as well... Good luck to you!! :)

Thanks for the advice :D. I called the admissions office today to talk about the possibility of visiting and the secretary said that they only give visits to accepted students. She said that if I were to come I could look around but that's it... oh well. I may stop by when I'm up there for Thanksgiving, but for now I think I'll just focus on a letter of intent. Then comes the waiting... :scared:

Any given Wednesday people, any given Wednesday :p

Thanks for the advice :D. I called the admissions office today to talk about the possibility of visiting and the secretary said that they only give visits to accepted students. She said that if I were to come I could look around but that's it... oh well. I may stop by when I'm up there for Thanksgiving, but for now I think I'll just focus on a letter of intent. Then comes the waiting... :scared:

What do you mean by " a letter of intent"?

What do you mean by " a letter of intent"?

I hear about them more on the pre-allo forum. Here's a good quote:

" Assuming you are just now applying for 2009 matriculation, most write the Letter of Interest after the interview. Often it is combined with what you'd put in an update letter, but mainly you would write what you like about the school, and why it is a perfect fit for you. Perhaps you'd add that you look forward to receiving a letter of acceptance from them. This type of letter can be sent to multiple schools.

A Letter of Intent would only be sent to your top choice, essentially promising that if you are accepted, you will drop out of consideration by all other schools and promise to attend that institution. It is a written contract, so don't send it unless you are seriously sure you will carry through on your promise. Would it be enforced if you change your mind? Probably not. It is an honor thing and would effect the way you (and others) think about yourself if you break your word."

I'm still trying to figure out if the latter is a good idea. I don't mind if the school tosses it out, but I don't want it to hurt my chances. Either way I'm going to wait a couple of weeks to draft it perfectly. I've been in communication with the admissions office, as I've said, and based on the amount of mail they claim to be getting, I won't be looked at for a while. My DO letter writer also wants to call and make sure they got his form. He claims that a call from his recommender is what got him an interview at CCOM back in the day.. hehe.. :luck:

I hear about them more on the pre-allo forum. Here's a good quote:

" Assuming you are just now applying for 2009 matriculation, most write the Letter of Interest after the interview. Often it is combined with what you'd put in an update letter, but mainly you would write what you like about the school, and why it is a perfect fit for you. Perhaps you'd add that you look forward to receiving a letter of acceptance from them. This type of letter can be sent to multiple schools.

A Letter of Intent would only be sent to your top choice, essentially promising that if you are accepted, you will drop out of consideration by all other schools and promise to attend that institution. It is a written contract, so don't send it unless you are seriously sure you will carry through on your promise. Would it be enforced if you change your mind? Probably not. It is an honor thing and would effect the way you (and others) think about yourself if you break your word."

I'm still trying to figure out if the latter is a good idea. I don't mind if the school tosses it out, but I don't want it to hurt my chances. Either way I'm going to wait a couple of weeks to draft it perfectly. I've been in communication with the admissions office, as I've said, and based on the amount of mail they claim to be getting, I won't be looked at for a while. My DO letter writer also wants to call and make sure they got his form. He claims that a call from his recommender is what got him an interview at CCOM back in the day.. hehe.. :luck:

Ok, MSU COM is definitely my top choice out of all the programs that I applied to. My question is should I write a letter of intent right away or wait till I hear back from COM. Also, is there any way a letter of intent can work against me? If not, I want to get right on it because COM is definitely where I want to be.

I know they said you can't have an interview unless you got in but if you do end up coming to visit MSUCOM to look around I could show you around maybe answer some questions. Im not gonna say I will be able to answer everything but might be better then just wondering around.

MSUCOM 2012

Members don't see this ad :)
That's so sweet of you! Thanks for the offer!! I'll pm you to set something up. As a note, just from posting on this thread over the last few weeks, I've been so impressed by the kindness of the current MSUCOM students. Much appreciated :)

this is my first wednesday as a complete applicant (with all my stuff into MSUCOM.) i'm freaking out about tomorrow and the many wednesdays to come.

SO, i have a question for you all. I am currently shadowing a DO but i wasn't when i turned my app in. the opportunity kind of came to me to shadow and i really wanted to do it just to get more knowledge on OMM. i know i should send MSU an update but i feel stupid saying "just wanted to update you on the fact that i've shadowed this guy three times"...you know what i mean? how long should i wait before sending them an e-mail? should i even wait? should i send them an e-mail or a letter? whats the deal on this letter of intent?! should i just send a letter of intent/interest and say PS im shadowing?!

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

PS: if anyone can comment on what they think my chances are, i would really appreciate it!!
3.6 overall, 3.3 BCMP
28 (8 phy, 10 verb, 10 biol)
what i think are pretty solid ec's (volunteered at 2 hospitals, leadership positions in many groups on campus, ~3 yrs research, a publication in lancet neurology, and MANY other small scale things)
both my evals are from people i know REALLY well so i feel like they really vouch for my application.

THANK YOU!! and i hope there is good news for lots of people tomorrow!

Last edited:
Well, another failed wednesday...anyone else with better luck?

That's so sweet of you! Thanks for the offer!! I'll pm you to set something up. As a note, just from posting on this thread over the last few weeks, I've been so impressed by the kindness of the current MSUCOM students. Much appreciated :)

Yeah we are all pretty phenomenal people ;) I once heard that a happy medical student is a good medical student, and MSUCOM gives us every opportunity to be happy.

So nobody heard anything on wednesday?

The past like 5 weeks theres been a million people hearing back, now not a peep. :confused:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Does anybody that has been to a visitation day post-acceptance know what I should wear? Should I wear a suit, just like a regular interview??

Does anybody that has been to a visitation day post-acceptance know what I should wear? Should I wear a suit, just like a regular interview??

You can wear whatever you want. When I went I was the only one dressed up in the group of acceptances. Doesn't really matter what you wear once your in. Most people had on dockers and a sweater because they take you outside the building for parts of it so it gets cold.

okkkk, tomorrow is anyother wednesday, good luck everyone ><

you know when I talked to them they said that they review apps *almost* every Wed...so some wed we are just anxious for no reason haha
Hopefully I get looked at tomorrow!!!! This is wierd because I am in-state so I should have gotten a chance already :oops:( Good Luck to everyone who is waiting to hear!

you know when I talked to them they said that they review apps *almost* every Wed...so some wed we are just anxious for no reason haha
Hopefully I get looked at tomorrow!!!! This is wierd because I am in-state so I should have gotten a chance already :oops:( Good Luck to everyone who is waiting to hear!

same, i hope we both do ><

I assume u get a formal rejection from them and they wouldn't just not tell you? My app has been stewing around their office for quite some time. I was just wondering about this review process thing..wouldn't mine have already been looked at? :confused:

I assume u get a formal rejection from them and they wouldn't just not tell you? My app has been stewing around their office for quite some time. I was just wondering about this review process thing..wouldn't mine have already been looked at? :confused:

You do get a formal rejection letter, but they don't come until March after they have completely filled their class. Keep your fingers crossed that we hear good news, hopefully before the first of the year! I have been complete since 9/12 and i am in state and still have heard nothing :( Ugh the stress of it all...

keep your heads up guys. i was complete in october and didnt hear anything until january...and I got accepted. it sucks to wait, but everything will work out, whether it is at msucom or somewhere else.

Do you think they've filled the class already? Or is it a case of nobody on SDN getting in over the past 2-3 wedensdays?

Do you think they've filled the class already? Or is it a case of nobody on SDN getting in over the past 2-3 wedensdays?

I sure hope they have not filled their class yet! I heard last year they didn't fill their class until January. If that is the case we still have time!

Hey does anyone know if MSUCOM offers tape recordings available online of all the lectures in every class? I am considering buying an electronic tape recorder, but I would definitely like to save the $80.

Hey Fatboyfats, I'm pretty sure all lectures are recorded and made available to students via web. You can also sign up for scribe notes, but I think you have to pay for that service.

All the lectures are recorded with Camtasia. They are the audio of the professor and the video of the powerpoint presentation, including all the tablet annotations. These are available as downloadable full videos or mp3 files for your ipod. They can also be streamed straight from the internet. They are all free. Don't waste money on a recorder.

I sure hope they have not filled their class yet! I heard last year they didn't fill their class until January. If that is the case we still have time!

agreed, we should just be patient and hope for the best

agreed, we should just be patient and hope for the best

IDK if this helps ease your mind, but Terry in admissions told me in September that they usually do not fill their class until December, and since they added 100 new spots they were not expecting to fill as early!

We can KEEP THE FAITH!!!

IDK if this helps ease your mind, but Terry in admissions told me in September that they usually do not fill their class until December, and since they added 100 new spots they were not expecting to fill as early!

We can KEEP THE FAITH!!!

hehe, Terry always helps ease my mind, she has been such a help to me from undergrad till now, i do owe her much thanks :)

and yes, I WILL KEEP THE FAITH!!!

has anyone visited msu and had a really positive experience? i visited recently and walked away feeling totally underwhelmed and really disappointed. i would really like to hear some positive feedback!

has anyone visited msu and had a really positive experience? i visited recently and walked away feeling totally underwhelmed and really disappointed. i would really like to hear some positive feedback!

Hey what made you feel that way? I visited recently but I go here for undergrad so some things were new but I already knew and saw a lot of the things they presented. I feel like the lady who spoke at the end, Shafer, definitely gave kind of a skewed view of MSU but making it sound like the town is extremely packed so don't plan on driving anywhere and plan on being killed by the trains, lol, this is not at all how it is and I really enjoy the town and look forward to being here for at least a couple more years.

Yes, apparently "H"

In other news, I have received no news from MSUCOM. It seems no one has.

So - it took me a while to get my references in for some reason. But oh well.

I was complete last week and got looked at this week. Anyhoo ... FYI:

You're looking at an Out-of-State DO/PhD Student, entering class of 2009!!!!

:hardy: WOOOOOOOOOOO-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Any other DOPhers out there? COMers - I love you guys and hope to meet you soon!

- ALGO!

Congrats Algo!

Also I agree with webghost. H is very important to everyone and it was a good contribution. We all need a little more H around here.

I got an email yesterday! After being complete on 10/15 officially, I was beginning to worry. But I kept the faith and finally heard back! I was put on the alternate list. Which at first didn't initially excite me...but then I read further... I was notified that if a seat does not open up for me for the Class of 2013, I have been offered a guaranteed seat for Class of 2014. Which really excited me! I STILL have a chance for this year, but I also have the guarantee that I'm in for atleast next year. I was also told that I would not have to reapply. While I'm still praying to get in this year, I am really thrilled with this news. I was also invited to come visit the school and told I wouldn't have to interview. I'm a happy girl to say the least :)

Status
Not open for further replies.