MSU--Is it really $80K for out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowkhat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For MSU is it really $80,000 a year for out-of-state residents? :eek:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

dr.z said:
Tuition is about $52,000 a year...
:eek: :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek: :scared:

WOW!!! Is that just strait tuition or dows that include books, room and board etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear MSU,

Thank you for considering me as a student to your institution for the study of osteopathic medicine. This year, there are many schools that have excellent credentials and it has made it difficult to make a decision.

Unfortunately, I cannot consider you for my school of choice. It was a difficult decision to make and I wish you well in filling your class with qualified, deep pocketed students.

Sincerely,

An out of state po folk.

EMT2ER-DOC said:
Dear MSU,

Thank you for considering me as a student to your institution for the study of osteopathic medicine. This year, there are many schools that have excellent credentials and it has made it difficult to make a decision.

Unfortunately, I cannot consider you for my school of choice. It was a difficult decision to make and I wish you well in filling your class with qualified, deep pocketed students.

Sincerely,

An out of state po folk.

Nice. I want to send that letter in.

Shodddy18 said:
:eek: :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek: :scared:

WOW!!! Is that just strait tuition or dows that include books, room and board etc?

I think it is very expensive for out of staters as well. Does anyone know what the residency policies are though? After the first year can you get Michigan residency and pay the in state tuition?

Dear MSU,

Thank you for rewarding us with low tuition after we have spent our lives putting up with Michigan weather and conservative West Michigan. We certainly deserve it. Screw the out-of-staters.

Sincerely,

Instate Students

(Just Kidding)

I believe that MSU has a small scholarship available for out of state students for the 1st and 2nd year. They suggest that out of state students apply for state residency, though I do not know how long or difficult this process is. I know someone who attended their spring open house. She was very impressed with the facilities, professors and program in general. The students she spoke with were were helpful and seemed happy with the education they were getting there. The scholarship info came from an out of state student she talked with.

just an fyi...check with the state for residency requirements.
i looked into going somewhere very expensive that was out of state for undergrad and even though i was married i was told that according to the state guidelines i could not ever quailfy for state residency because i was coming there to go to school. some states have this clause so i would check with michigan and see what their policy is.

jason3278 said:
Dear MSU,

Thank you for rewarding us with low tuition after we have spent our lives putting up with Michigan weather and conservative West Michigan. We certainly deserve it. Screw the out-of-staters.

Jason.

(Just Kidding)

:laugh:

blondie68 said:
She was very impressed with the facilities

:eek:

(I go to msu undergrad and will apply here, but they even had a write-up in the state news describing how awful their facilities are (have you seen fee hall?)

mjos22 said:
:eek:

(I go to msu undergrad and will apply here, but they even had a write-up in the state news describing how awful their facilities are (have you seen fee hall?)

Hey!! Are you near 8-mile road?!?!?

Facilities, shmacilities. I STILL say NO school is worth $50,000 per year. Rather than being douches about it, just say out of staters need not apply.

I agree with all or your sarcasm.........after looking over the secondary, I am starting to wonder why I wasted my $75 to apply to MSU through AACOMAS. I am not sure if I am even going to send the secondary in. Let's see.........$32,000 a year for tuition or $52,000 a year for tuition? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Ding, Ding, I think I'll take the $32,000/year!!!

snowkhat said:
http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf

If you add Summer+Fall/Spring+Summer= $84K total for tuition and living expenses!!

AY DIOS MIO! :eek:

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I had a phone meeting with an admissions officer at MSUCOM the other day. She did mention that out of state tuition is large, however they will grant a deferral for a year so you can gain in state status. If you choose to start school without becoming an in state resident, then you pay that full tuition all four years. Just thought that would be helpful.

seamonkey21 said:
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I had a phone meeting with an admissions officer at MSUCOM the other day. She did mention that out of state tuition is large, however they will grant a deferral for a year so you can gain in state status. If you choose to start school without becoming an in state resident, then you pay that full tuition all four years. Just thought that would be helpful.

How does one go about becoming a state resident.

thus the reason I declined my interview there once I received an acceptance to any other school. MSUCOM is just waaaaaaay too expensive to even consider. I figured why should I spend an extra $500-1000 in interview expenses when I couldn't even afford to go there?

Hey guys...med school is obviously an ultra expensive investment, however, if you are serious about this as a career path, then you should have realized the expenses involved throughout the process. But do not be discouraged, MSU is the 4th in the nation for primary care, it is an aewsome school with aewsome students and faculty. Also, despite the expense now, it will pay off one day in the near future!!! Good luck making your decisions.

It is ranked highly, but highly enough to go an extra $100K in debt? If I had NOT had an acceptance in hand already, I would have happily gone to that interview. If I had only been accepted by MSUCOM, I would have happily gone there. I applied to MSUCOM because I liked the school. Liked it an extra $100K when I had other options? I don't think I like anything except my husband and kids an extra $100K worth.

Never said it wasn't a great school. Just not $100K extra great.

I definitely agree.

Medical school is an enormous expense, but that is ridiculously expensive. Thus, if you hold another acceptance it is not a justified expense. MSU is a great school both osteopathic and allopathic (i believe they share some of the same fresh and soph classes if I'm not mistaken) but wow an extra 100k? really?

Best of luck to everyone!