nbde part 1-april-may 2013 takers-join this thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chorea6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys..whoever is appearing around the same time for part 1 ..lets motivate each other;and keep each other updated about our preparation...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone ,
I am sitting for my exam on June 1st, 2013.
It's good to know that I am not the only one going through the exam and that we are all in the same boat . We should motivate each other . I honestly haven't tried studying in groups or with someone but I would like to see how it goes :)
Ps . Females preferred :)

Hello everyone ,
I am sitting for my exam on June 1st, 2013.
It's good to know that I am not the only one going through the exam and that we are all in the same boat . We should motivate each other . I honestly haven't tried studying in groups or with someone but I would like to see how it goes :)
Ps . Females preferred :)

Hi as I mentioned earlier I'm even open to online mode of communication for exams, planning to take it in July, study partner preferably female
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey am female from india preparing for nbde part1 and giving exam in june!! Wanna join you guys and get motivated...

hey guys.. does anybody have the latest appeared question papers for NBDE 1?? anything post 2007 would help.. planing to take it in may... so anyone who has it.. please lemme know asap! thanx

Last edited:
hey ,
all those recent test takers please do let us know how the exam is?.. is it difficult or closer to asda?.. were there any repeats, my prep is OK and im planning to sit this month. please do let me know.. my biochem is weak but now im just doing asda as i dont have time for it. im reviewing what i already know.. please do let me know how the recent exam is.. i do know the basics. im fine with any other subject except biochem. help me out i heard dental anatomy section is more and its make it or break it thing. is it really so?. kindly reply. thanks

Hi I am preparing for nbde part 1 and looking for a serious partner , I am studying from Kplan and dental decks latest one .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I have been asking everyone here about their exams and everyone really helped and I appreciate it. Thank u all. and now its my turn to contribute to it.
I took my exam yesterday, sorry I wasn't able to write this all yesterday.
I studied but in intervals, as in not in a continuous three straight months because i don't have that kind of a temperament, so i studied for this last 3 weeks continuous. I was left with a lot of reviewing tho till the end but here is my experience: EXAM was equally balanced in terms of difficulty. I found the exam to be relatively easy not just because the exam itself was easy, its here on the forums that the exam is tough and i expected way beyond that. Its tricky and as long as you have done your decks thoroughly and first aid i'm sure u will ace it. Nothing was out of course except some genetic stuff that were hardly one or two questions. Questions were similar to ASDA. No case scenarios apart from testlets. I just had 7 TESTLETS. and they were easy, dentally related but some medical stuff incorporated and also some ethical stuff. BUT the subjects weren't equally divided. Mine was ~65% i can bet on it was only dental anatomy and occlusion. every second or third question was DA and Occlusion. Lots and lots of questions on TMJ and its ligaments, nerve and blood supply. It was tough. Know your occlusion WELL and the other major portion was of anatomy around 15% and all were mostly related to head and neck. 2 or 4 questions on limbs and abdomen combined. i was asked micro a few questions. and i also had 15 repeats atleast. The remaining were path and physio and biochem. I just had basic biochem. I will say occlusion was tough. real tough but other subjects were basic. i screwed up big time and im just praying that i pass. i wish i would have revised my occlusion. i thought my DA was strong but i screwed up. Morpho was crazy! they asked us to compare different teeth at different intervals and age groups blah blah. My advise will be to do morpho really really well also. know each and every single aspect from every angle. I really hope I pass. Over all the exam was a good one. Do not freak out. They were simple and to the point answers but tricky ones and a few had very close options and yea a few were like WTH.. lol and a few were like are u serious? could it be this easy?..haha but over all a good exam. If I God forbid dont pass it will be entirely my fault. the test was easy. i knew it but it was all jumbled up.
IN SHORT: OCCLUSION OCCLUSION AND DENTAL ANATOMY IN AND OUT!! cover to cover. i did kaplan and decks for DA the rest i did decks. i also did first AID on the last day for just anatomy review and to my surprise the notes on the sides in first aid are the questions on the exam. Over all it was a good exam, tricky , tough, easy all balanced. do not freak out. you get one hour break in between relax and eat thats all. if u all need to ask me anything ask here. ill reply as soon as i can. Good Luck to you all!

:) I am from Chicago and planing taking the board part 1 in june or july I need a study partner In chicago please e-mail me [email protected] so we can do this together as a support thanks
Hi, I am also in Chicago and is trying to study for this exam... thinking of taking this in May, but probably need to reschedule it to June. Yes, lets study together...

:):):)
Hi Everyone,

So I got my results today and I passed, what a relief!!, As I stated on my previous posts above (in the people who took NBDE 1 after 2012), the exam was a little tough... So here is the stuff I used to prepare in case it can help anyone:

1. Kaplan videos and lecture notes for anatomy, biochem and physio (but if you have good basic sciences knowledge you can skip these. I did them because I took my basic science courses almost 18 years ago and I needed a serious refresher).
2. Dental Decks for pathology and dental anatomy.
3. Complete First Aid 3rd Edition book for a final review.
4. For additional reinforcement of dental anatomy and occlusion I used wheeler's anatomy and dental occlusion, Okeson and Ten Cate for dental histology... but just a few pages here and there to what I needed to reinforce.
5. Crack the NBDE: 2 tests (and don't forget to check the answers you got wrong)
6. Testlets from the Kaplan QBanks
7. ASDA previously released exams after 2005. But as I said before, I got few to no repeats.

Hope this helps, if any of you have any questions, please post and I will try to reply!

Best of luck to all!!!

Hi Everyone,

So I got my results today and I passed, what a relief!!, As I stated on my previous posts above (in the people who took NBDE 1 after 2012), the exam was a little tough... So here is the stuff I used to prepare in case it can help anyone:

1. Kaplan videos and lecture notes for anatomy, biochem and physio (but if you have good basic sciences knowledge you can skip these. I did them because I took my basic science courses almost 18 years ago and I needed a serious refresher).
4. For additional reinforcement of dental anatomy and occlusion I used wheeler's anatomy and dental occlusion, Okeson and Ten Cate for dental histology... but just a few pages here and there to what I needed to reinforce.
5. Crack the NBDE: 2 tests (and don't forget to check the answers you got wrong)
7. ASDA previously released exams after 2005. But as I said before, I got few to no repeats.

Hope this helps, if any of you have any questions, please post and I will try to reply!

Best of luck to all!!!

hi..
congrats!!!how much u scored in crack the nbde and asda papers..is the real exam tougher than crack the nbde??? plz help!!

Hi Indigo
When I took both tests of Crack the NBDE I scored 79 and 77 respectively after I reviewed everything for the first time which took me about 4 months. I didn't get to take the third crack because of lack of time. However, I reviewed my first aid side notes, all wrong questions from crack and memorized important subjects and mnemonics the day before the test and I passed. So I guess if I would have taken crack after this second review I probably would have done better.

Questions on crack are more evenly distributed and a little easier than the real test (or at least the ones I got). There are more Testlet type questions on the real test than in crack, but overall I think Crack the NBDE is a very good practice test to do before the real exam. With it you can learn how to manage time and mark questions appropriately and review before submitting your final answers.

If you have any other questions, feel free...

Hi Indigo
When I took both tests of Crack the NBDE I scored 79 and 77 respectively after I reviewed everything for the first time which took me about 4 months. I didn't get to take the third crack because of lack of time. However, I reviewed my first aid side notes, all wrong questions from crack and memorized important subjects and mnemonics the day before the test and I passed. So I guess if I would have taken crack after this second review I probably would have done better.

Questions on crack are more evenly distributed and a little easier than the real test (or at least the ones I got). There are more Testlet type questions on the real test than in crack, but overall I think Crack the NBDE is a very good practice test to do before the real exam. With it you can learn how to manage time and mark questions appropriately and review before submitting your final answers.

If you have any other questions, feel free...

okk.. i'm bit confused abt the scoring in crack the nbde.. i scored 64%:( IN ANATOMY n it was showing something like 87 or 88.. so which one is the real score??? 64 or 88.. also how it is done.. thanks in advance..

The scoring process is explained in the crack the NBDE website. The 64% you scored in anatomy means you got 64% of the questions correct. The 87-88 is probably the overall percentile score when your answers are compared to the national standard, which means that you are 87-88 percentile, which is a passing score.

Everything is explained better in the FAQ of the crack the NBDE website...

Best

The scoring process is explained in the crack the NBDE website. The 64% you scored in anatomy means you got 64% of the questions correct. The 87-88 is probably the overall percentile score when your answers are compared to the national standard, which means that you are 87-88 percentile, which is a passing score.

Everything is explained better in the FAQ of the crack the NBDE website...

Best

thanks for the reply.. how much do we need to score in NBDE out of 400 to pass the exam..does that mean we can score as low as 60% to pass.. :confused:

Hi Indigo,
To be honest, I don't know. Many of my friends who failed it said that you need 220 questions correct to pass it, which is barely 55%. The scoring, however, is different because is compared to a national standard per question. All this is explained on the NBDE 2013 guide.

hey guys... i have my part one exam in a weeks time.... i studied from - decks(2009), kaplan review material, first aid nbde and a lil of mosby, asda released papers(1977-99) and (2003-04).. i feel all prepared and worried at the same time as the asda papers are way too old. i am scoring in 70's and 80's in those.... do u think that i ll pass?????

Hi friends!! I am new to the forum ..i am planning to give nbde 1 by Sept end (2013). I have a few questions in mind , i would be happy if either of you can clear my doubts! :) How much time is grossly needed to prepare for nbde1 ? Also can you pls help me with the study material that i should follow to prepare? And yeah i have an aggregate of about 78% over 4 yrs of BDS curriculum + work experience , so if i manage to clear the nbde 1 in oct 2013, do i have fair chance of getting accepted to the DDS/DMd class of 2014? Looking forward to a reply soon! Thank you!

@PS15
i think 3 months are more than enough for the prep. use dental decks (latest ones) for all subjects and also use dental anatomy and occlusion section of kaplan only with dental decks. it will be enough. and during the last month review it from first aid nbde and make sure you understand the side notes also. apply by October is late i think. except for a few unis like UT dental San Antonio, probably BU if u have outstanding application. or colorado. your options will be very limited. try giving it early cuz u will miss cali deadlines by july. you will miss a huge chunk. so plan it accordingly. 78% seems great i think you may get 4.0 if u havent repeated any subjects. try doing Continuing dental education courses, volunteer work and hospital externships or observerships. US exp is also important.

Hi Everyone,

Best of luck to all!!!
Hi Colombiandra,
Do u have soft copy of ASDA papers released after 2005.. Any help would be great

Hey friends! I needed an opinion from the people who have given or are giving the nbde 1 in the near future. I have decks 2009-2010 version..is it ok if i refer to that for the preparation or do i need the latest ones? Also if u can send me a link from where i can download the latest study material , it vl be of great help. Thanks! :)

Hi.im a female dentist from pakistan.currently living in orlando florida.got registered a month back and planning to appear in july. Any one interested in combine studies? Also i wanted to ask if anyone has errata for first aid since the book has lot of mistakes

Hi could u tell me if first aid really helped? I think the book has alot of mistakes. Plus im doin the dental subs from kaplan and deck oni.is ththnot enough? The crack nbde thing app...i m not taking...do u suggest i should?

First aid is a good book. it may have some mistakes but if u have done dental decks then i think there is nothing to worry about. if u have doubts there's always wikipedia. the side notes are important and it should be used as a final review. dont do kaplan for whole of nbde. only do dental section of DA/OCC along with dental decks. that is all you need. plus ASDA.

@PS15 many ppl have different opinions. i think it should be latest. but if u have an older version you should solve all asda packets till N series.

Good Luck

hiii friend I am dentist from india, planning to give exam in july, m in Houston, anybody female who is intrsted to have combine study. I have decks and Kaplan notes.

first aid is needed for preparation? and m scared for exam by thinking that will I clear this or not!!!

@PS15
i think 3 months are more than enough for the prep. use dental decks (latest ones) for all subjects and also use dental anatomy and occlusion section of kaplan only with dental decks. it will be enough. and during the last month review it from first aid nbde and make sure you understand the side notes also. apply by October is late i think. except for a few unis like UT dental San Antonio, probably BU if u have outstanding application. or colorado. your options will be very limited. try giving it early cuz u will miss cali deadlines by july. you will miss a huge chunk. so plan it accordingly. 78% seems great i think you may get 4.0 if u havent repeated any subjects. try doing Continuing dental education courses, volunteer work and hospital externships or observerships. US exp is also important.

Which month is usually best to do NBDE part 1 if someone wants to apply to most of the schools?

hello everyone,
i have been asking everyone here about their exams and everyone really helped and i appreciate it. Thank u all. And now its my turn to contribute to it.
I took my exam yesterday, sorry i wasn't able to write this all yesterday.
I studied but in intervals, as in not in a continuous three straight months because i don't have that kind of a temperament, so i studied for this last 3 weeks continuous. I was left with a lot of reviewing tho till the end but here is my experience: Exam was equally balanced in terms of difficulty. I found the exam to be relatively easy not just because the exam itself was easy, its here on the forums that the exam is tough and i expected way beyond that. Its tricky and as long as you have done your decks thoroughly and first aid i'm sure u will ace it. Nothing was out of course except some genetic stuff that were hardly one or two questions. Questions were similar to asda. No case scenarios apart from testlets. I just had 7 testlets. And they were easy, dentally related but some medical stuff incorporated and also some ethical stuff. But the subjects weren't equally divided. Mine was ~65% i can bet on it was only dental anatomy and occlusion. Every second or third question was da and occlusion. Lots and lots of questions on tmj and its ligaments, nerve and blood supply. It was tough. Know your occlusion well and the other major portion was of anatomy around 15% and all were mostly related to head and neck. 2 or 4 questions on limbs and abdomen combined. I was asked micro a few questions. And i also had 15 repeats atleast. The remaining were path and physio and biochem. I just had basic biochem. I will say occlusion was tough. Real tough but other subjects were basic. I screwed up big time and im just praying that i pass. I wish i would have revised my occlusion. I thought my da was strong but i screwed up. Morpho was crazy! They asked us to compare different teeth at different intervals and age groups blah blah. My advise will be to do morpho really really well also. Know each and every single aspect from every angle. I really hope i pass. Over all the exam was a good one. Do not freak out. They were simple and to the point answers but tricky ones and a few had very close options and yea a few were like wth.. Lol and a few were like are u serious? Could it be this easy?..haha but over all a good exam. If i god forbid dont pass it will be entirely my fault. The test was easy. I knew it but it was all jumbled up.
In short: Occlusion occlusion and dental anatomy in and out!! Cover to cover. I did kaplan and decks for da the rest i did decks. I also did first aid on the last day for just anatomy review and to my surprise the notes on the sides in first aid are the questions on the exam. Over all it was a good exam, tricky , tough, easy all balanced. Do not freak out. You get one hour break in between relax and eat thats all. If u all need to ask me anything ask here. Ill reply as soon as i can. Good luck to you all!
i passeddd!!! Alhamdolillah!!:):):)

Hi thanks for posting your experience, i am planning to take the test this july and i would like toy ask you what do you think about Crack the NBDE and Kaplan Qbank?? the real tests is similar to this tests??
Thanks..

hi i am planning to take exam in mid of july , till now have done dental decks once and do not remember anything as well as i go through kaplan notes, it is really hard to memorize everything from dental decks freaking out plz help me :

Does anyone know a private tutor in NYC area for NDBE part 1? Desperately need help. Will pay for services.

Hi everybody,
I just took my NBDE Part 1 yesterday!
What a relief!
Here are some of the highlights of my exam:

More than 60% of the exam was on dental anatomy and occlusion. I must say you should do your tooth morphology thoroughly from the decks and for occlusion you should use Okenson and read last couple of section on occlusion from Kaplan.

Gross anatomy was not bad at all! Not even many questions from it.

Biochemistry was a joke, not even 10 questions from there.

Physiology and pathology questions were mixed in clinical test lets.

There were 5 tested with 10 questions each, they were little tough but you can answer them if you have studied.

I hope this help please contact me if you need any further information

Thanx Dimplu.
For ur input. I have an exam very soon.

I m worried in biochem. M not good in it.

Hi,

I am looking for serious study partner for NBDE part 1 exam. Female study partners will be preferred. I am planning to take exam in Oct. My e-mail is [email protected]. Looking for your reply.

Sarah