NBDE part 1- jan/feb/march 2011 test takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKDmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone whose appearing for the nbde part 1 for jan or feb (or anytime early next year).. Im starting this thread so that we can all motivate each other, and keep each other updated on our progress. so that we dont get lazy, but rather stick to schedule and stay focussed.

**Please dont ask for books, or material or study partners in this thread.

Lets keep it solely for
1. Motivating each other
2. Sharing any mistakes or tips to study better
3. Asking questions during preparation
4. Anything you wish to share with others while you are studying
5. Review or questions regarding books, decks, tests that you are using during this study period

Thanks, and i wish good luck to my fellow test takers :)

Members don't see this ad.

any recent update?
does anyone need any help?
goodluck to all of you who's taking the exam, and all who passed, get ready for the knocking cycle.

Hi everyone,
I came across this thread today & believe me I read each & every post till the suspense was killing me regarding Haam's score. Am so glad to hear that Haam, bhavi4all, Amreki & everyone else did so well. i hope my preparation can be as good as yours :thumbup:
Hamm, I know you have already answered this in the past but could you please specify if you did ASDA papers from yr '77 or from yr '85?
Also, Did you do Okeson for TMJ?
I plan on giving exam in October & am still seraching for ASDA papers :( I've checked the classifieds as well. if anyone is ready to sell, please contact me :)

thanks and best of luck mate.... i got soft copy for asda... if that can help...
Hi everyone,
I came across this thread today & believe me I read each & every post till the suspense was killing me regarding Haam's score. Am so glad to hear that Haam, bhavi4all, Amreki & everyone else did so well. i hope my preparation can be as good as yours :thumbup:
Hamm, I know you have already answered this in the past but could you please specify if you did ASDA papers from yr '77 or from yr '85?
I plan on giving exam in October & am still seraching for ASDA papers :( I've checked the classifieds as well. if anyone is ready to sell, please contact me :)

Hi everyone,

you will do great, just concentrate in the basic ideas:xf:
i did read the ASDA from'85
no i didn't read okeson's book, although it is amazing:D
i emphazised regarding the occlusal scheme, it is very important to know every envelop of movement.

goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda new here..
@ Ham.. after the exams how long did you have to wait for the results?
got my exam in June..hope I can do a good job.. a long way to go for me..

Hello All,

I am taking NBDE1 on 28th of June 2011. Just finish with one read, all the subjects. Everything from First Aid except for Oral anatomy, tooth morphology and Bichem which I did from Kaplan for NBDE. Have also dont Dental decks once only. Have started my revision from today. WWill be doing ASDA papers on every Sunday till the exam.

I have the following confusion. Please help!

• Shall I follow any pattern for revision, as in which subject in the begining and which one towards the end?
  • Is there anything I have missed out?
  • Where shall I do dental radiology and ethics from?
  • How long does it take for the result to reach the candidate? (I am in USA)
  • I am applying to a University whose deadline is Aug 7th. Will the additional score report will be delivered to the school be then?
  • I tried solving almost 60 questions from ASDA 1977 paper. Scored almost 57% after first read. Is that pathetic?
Thanks and pls try to ansewr my questions.

Hello All,

I am taking NBDE1 on 28th of June 2011. Just finish with one read, all the subjects. Everything from First Aid except for Oral anatomy, tooth morphology and Bichem which I did from Kaplan for NBDE. Have also dont Dental decks once only. Have started my revision from today. WWill be doing ASDA papers on every Sunday till the exam.

I have the following confusion. Please help!

• Shall I follow any pattern for revision, as in which subject in the begining and which one towards the end?
  • Is there anything I have missed out?
  • Where shall I do dental radiology and ethics from?
  • How long does it take for the result to reach the candidate? (I am in USA)
  • I am applying to a University whose deadline is Aug 7th. Will the additional score report will be delivered to the school be then?
  • I tried solving almost 60 questions from ASDA 1977 paper. Scored almost 57% after first read. Is that pathetic?
Thanks and pls try to ansewr my questions.
goodluck dear space needle!
don't worry, you will do fine.
regarding your questions:
1-there is no specific pattern to revise, revie the way you feel that you are sure of what you read. keep the most difficult to memorize , the last to revise before the exam. i.e. i used to keep the occlusal relations and teeth morphology the last.

2-i don't know what you are studying, but as a general rule, stick to the basic idea. and know the decks through and through.

3- i don't think there is any part for radiolgy in part 1. the ethics and the code are from decks.

4-3-4 weeks max and it will be in your mail.

5- yup, don't worry about that, study now and then we will discuss that issues.:thumbup:

6- usually the first time you solve ASDA you will be shocked, don't worry. but an advice is that, don't show for the exam unless you score more than 90's in each section.

goodluck dear space needle!
don't worry, you will do fine.
regarding your questions:
1-there is no specific pattern to revise, revie the way you feel that you are sure of what you read. keep the most difficult to memorize , the last to revise before the exam. i.e. i used to keep the occlusal relations and teeth morphology the last.

2-i don't know what you are studying, but as a general rule, stick to the basic idea. and know the decks through and through.

3- i don't think there is any part for radiolgy in part 1. the ethics and the code are from decks.

4-3-4 weeks max and it will be in your mail.

5- yup, don't worry about that, study now and then we will discuss that issues.:thumbup:

6- usually the first time you solve ASDA you will be shocked, don't worry. but an advice is that, don't show for the exam unless you score more than 90's in each section.

Hi Hamm! Congrats on your score! I was wondering how did you know you were ready for the exam? I went thru the decks once already and started going thru it again. I'm using First Aid NBDE to get the main ideas of the various topics and I used First AId USMLE to go thru Biochem, Microbio, Immuno already, but I am gonna use it also for Pathology and Neoplasms. I took 2 practice tests 85 and 78 so far and I scored like 60-70 percent in the sections. I guess what is the best way to go about improving the score?

And i have it on the 6th of july...Man thinking of the date only freaks me out...actually in a gud way coz otherwise i wouldnt have been studying..gudluck to u too space needle...wud luv to know about ur experience when u are done with the exam...

Haam, thanks for your response!

you will do great, just concentrate in the basic ideas:xf:
i did read the ASDA from'85
no i didn't read okeson's book, although it is amazing:D
i emphazised regarding the occlusal scheme, it is very important to know every envelop of movement.

goodluck

hi all...am izic from Amman, Jordan
i graduated from dental school before 2 months and am doing my training now
am planning to take nbde part 1 in early 2012
i studied in Pakistan and i guess the syllabus there is a little bit different.
so i need your help with the syllabus and where to start and from which books.
for anatomy is it only head and neck or all the anatomy of the body??for pathology is it general pathology or all systemic pathology including all systems of the body???
am really confused and your help is will be appreciated
thank you

hey hamm...am new in here but i have read all of your posts and congrats for your awesome score :)
am getting my green card soon and planning to shift to the states.
i graduated from dental school before 2 months and i want to start preparing for nbde part 1 from now.
but am starting from zero point,i don't know the syllabus or what books to start with.i don't have any past questions
really confused and it feels like mission impossible :( but am planning to go for it till the end
i will really appreciate your help if you can help me with your experience and knowledge.
this is my email : [email protected]
thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys...plz help me i dont know from which books i should start
for anatomy i have snell
for phisiology i have guyton and hall
for pathology i have basic pathology
for oral histology i got ten cates
for occolusion i got wheelers
shall i go through these books from page 1 till the end????or shall i buy kaplan books and 1st aid and decks and start with them????
please being human and ham every1 give me advice on which books and which chapters i have 2 go through
thank u

hey hamm...am new in here but i have read all of your posts and congrats for your awesome score :)
am getting my green card soon and planning to shift to the states.
i graduated from dental school before 2 months and i want to start preparing for nbde part 1 from now.
but am starting from zero point,i don't know the syllabus or what books to start with.i don't have any past questions
really confused and it feels like mission impossible :( but am planning to go for it till the end
i will really appreciate your help if you can help me with your experience and knowledge.
this is my email : [email protected]
thank you

hello issac and welcome to the club.

it has never been mission impossible do your best and you will do great in the exam

start by reading the ADA regulation and contents of the exam
after that buy dental decks the newest version, kaplan review for NBDE1
you have enough book to start with, so do your best.

goodluck:xf:

Hi HAAM..

Congrats on your score...you give hope to many....
Plz tell abt all the materials you used... im so tense..there is so much to study and so many books!!! im confused!!

thanx hamm for your reply
i have read the regulation from ada website.
am planning to buy kaplan review for nbde and dental decks as u adviced.
but what about first aid nbde and kaplan dentessential books???
and shall i stick to these books or i need to go to other references like guyton and hall and snell???
again thank you so much for your help

thanx hamm for your reply
i have read the regulation from ada website.
am planning to buy kaplan review for nbde and dental decks as u adviced.
but what about first aid nbde and kaplan dentessential books???
and shall i stick to these books or i need to go to other references like guyton and hall and snell???
again thank you so much for your help

Welcome mate..don not worry at all I was like you in the beginning I'm from the middle east as well studied in University of Baghdad,I am intending to my exam at the end of September..that is my studying plan :
-anatomy decks+1st aid with kaplan USMLE videos
-biochemistry,physiology, and immunity Kaplan USMLE books and videos
-pathology and microbiology decks and 1st aid
-dental anatomy decks and 1st aid
have not start revision yet.

good luck

Hello I am looking for study group in Vancouver fot AFK I will take in 2012. Some one Know about the group that I am looking for? Thanks .:)

Welcome mate..don not worry at all I was like you in the beginning I'm from the middle east as well studied in University of Baghdad,I am intending to my exam at the end of September..that is my studying plan :

good luck
hi........... m quite worried if they changed rules ie pass and fail than whats use of giving exam this year...............this thing bothers me..............

hi........... m quite worried if they changed rules ie pass and fail than whats use of giving exam this year...............this thing bothers me..............

I am also worried about the same...... but on the other hand it is as simple as it gets, that here is the set formula for converting your dream into reality. Get a good score, apply and move on.

I am also worried about the same...... but on the other hand it is as simple as it gets, that here is the set formula for converting your dream into reality. Get a good score, apply and move on.
agree with .u lets see whats.................happens. is the pass and fail system approved.....?.....................heared many universities still dont agree with it..........................dont know..........exactly........

it has never been mission impossible do your best and you will do great in the exam

hi hamm...i went to buy kaplan nbde book and dental decks but coudnt find them here in my country..they told me if i can provide them with ISBN number of the books they can order them for me from the united states
so i need help here,can you provide me with the ISBN number of these books???
u can find it at the back of the books.
thank you and looking forward for your reply

good luck

hey mate...thank you for encouraging me and sharing your plan of study with me
i appreciate it so much
so where are you from??i am from jordan
have you tried kaplan nbde book???u know i didnt start studying yet
am trying to put my hands on the books
i need the ISBN number so i can order them

hey mate...thank you for encouraging me and sharing your plan of study with me
i appreciate it so much
so where are you from??i am from jordan
have you tried kaplan nbde book???u know i didnt start studying yet
am trying to put my hands on the books
i need the ISBN number so i can order them
just search them on amazon................... u can get the isbn no there..............!

hi guys m new to this forum .. m planning to take the exam sumtime in jan .. i have collected a lot of stuff so many places tht i am confused as to where to start . ive actually started wid biochem from kaplan usmle lecture videos and notes. it kinda difficult because its been a long time tht i touched biochem .. can anyone guide me with a study plan ..and is so much time enough to get a good score.. plz ppl help...

hey hamm...how are you mate???
am so confused and i need help
i got 1st aid nbde and decks and confused about kaplan.shall i get kaplan nbde or kaplan usemele???
and are these books enough or shall i go for other references like lippincott and robins???
i have been following your posts and you said you were studying from references??? aren't they exhaustive???
wheeler is 700 pages,it made me depressed
any advice please

hey hamm...how are you mate???
am so confused and i need help
i got 1st aid nbde and decks and confused about kaplan.shall i get kaplan nbde or kaplan usemele???
and are these books enough or shall i go for other references like lippincott and robins???
i have been following your posts and you said you were studying from references??? aren't they exhaustive???
wheeler is 700 pages,it made me depressed
any advice please

and also, do you mean Kaplan lecture notes or the DentEssentials?

thank you!

i graduated from dental school before 6 months and i want to start preparing for nbde part 1 from now.
but am starting from zero point,i don't know what r the books to start with.i don't have any past questions
really iconfused and it feels like so difficult, but am planning to go for it till the end
this is my email [email protected]

and also, do you mean Kaplan lecture notes or the DentEssentials?

thank you!
hello issac,,,
yup i used refrence books just to have a good idea about the whole subject. any how, don't compress yourself too much. do kaplan" lecture notes" and first aid " NBDE" if you have them.
there is no enough in this exam, you read as much as you can with most imprtant thing is the basic idea.

i went through the same thing, however, i managed so you can and everyone here can do it with much more better performance.

advice " never regard study as a duty but as envaliable chance to learn?;)

hi guys and gals....
m new to SDN...took my exam in March 2011...wanted to know that have the scores gone down this year?...

Hey guys I need to know from where we can get the released exams and their explanations?? and thare are many booklets which one we have to do best and which one is the newest ones??

hi guys..gud to hear from all of u...i am a late beginner,planning to take exam by next year april,...looking at the posts,can anyone tell me what are those "achland videos" mentioned in some of the posts??
thanx

I have my exam on 2nd June .....totally freaked out right now!!! scored 81 and 87 in crack the nbde..not sure how I'm gonna do..Done with the decks 2-3 times. Doing the asda pprs 2nd time now...

I have my exam on 2nd June .....totally freaked out right now!!! scored 81 and 87 in crack the nbde..not sure how I'm gonna do..Done with the decks 2-3 times. Doing the asda pprs 2nd time now...
revision again, again and again,,,,
you will do great:xf:

Just took my NBDE 1 today. Can't say it was hard, but it also was not so easy. Just like everyone said, just know the basics and dont get too detailed and you will do fine. Make sure you review decks and ASDA papers well and don't freak out because you really need to focus on the real test. Can't give much advice now till my scores come out, good luck!

hi,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hamm by kaplan lecture notes u mean reveiw book............... ?????????? and is reveiw book sufficent for microbiology?.or we need to do more................?

Just took my NBDE 1 today. Can't say it was hard, but it also was not so easy. Just like everyone said, just know the basics and dont get too detailed and you will do fine. Make sure you review decks and ASDA papers well and don't freak out because you really need to focus on the real test. Can't give much advice now till my scores come out, good luck!
BRAVOOOOOOOOOOO,
well done, know feel free for the next four weeks and i wish to hear from you

good luck:thumbup:

Hay Haam ,
hope ur doing good.
i just started studying for part 1 n planing to give exams in oct /nov.
Based on ur experience ; do u think it can be done in 5 months ?

plz tell me from which book i study physiology? right now doing USMLE notes

Last edited:
Hi guys..
I am looking for a study partner for NBDE 1 for exam in july-aug 2011.
If anybody interested. Please reply.

hi everyone..how is the prep going for everybody..i have just a few weeks left before my exam which is on 6th of july..and i am already kind of freaking out...i hate this feeling...so what is everyone doing in the last 2 to 3 weeks before the exam...all the best everyone..

:thumbup:
hi everyone..how is the prep going for everybody..i have just a few weeks left before my exam which is on 6th of july..and i am already kind of freaking out...i hate this feeling...so what is everyone doing in the last 2 to 3 weeks before the exam...all the best everyone..
believe me dear, the revision is the key.
revise as much as u can and i'm sure your score will knock the sky.
goodluck

:thumbup:
believe me dear, the revision is the key.
revise as much as u can and i'm sure your score will knock the sky.
goodluck
hay haam i m so confused ...plz guide me which book should i follow for physiology?

Wow haam, its always so gud to hear from u..i hope i really do well on this exam...i will surely let u know my score for sure..yeah i am in to revision now...almost done with all..just micro path left now for rev which i will get over with by this month end IA...actually i am happy that all this is going to end now finally..thats what is giving me the strength during these last days...anyway all the best for ur application process...i do hope we meet someday in some college as batchmates...gudluck

Hi guys,
Revising for exam on 2nd June...started asda papers 2nd time n scoring avg 80-90. Am not sure if thts gud enuf...yet to do the recent ones..
Can ne1 tell me which ones better to revise in this last week..q.papers or decks...coz I got no time for all of it n also the firstaid

I just did the NDB step 1 and this was not my first attempt. Last time, which was last year, raw score was 233 (out of 400), which gave me 74. I honestly don't think I will answer much more than 233. Does anybody knows if this "scale" has changed since April 2010 last year? I mean for 13 months, are students making better where you need to answer for example 250 questions right to get the passing score of 75?
Last time I received the score report in about 13 days or so.. I hope this has not changed this year
Thank you guys