NBDE part 1- jan/feb/march 2011 test takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKDmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone whose appearing for the nbde part 1 for jan or feb (or anytime early next year).. Im starting this thread so that we can all motivate each other, and keep each other updated on our progress. so that we dont get lazy, but rather stick to schedule and stay focussed.

**Please dont ask for books, or material or study partners in this thread.

Lets keep it solely for
1. Motivating each other
2. Sharing any mistakes or tips to study better
3. Asking questions during preparation
4. Anything you wish to share with others while you are studying
5. Review or questions regarding books, decks, tests that you are using during this study period

Thanks, and i wish good luck to my fellow test takers :)

Members don't see this ad.

hay haam i m so confused ...plz guide me which book should i follow for physiology?
try to read physiology recall, nice and simple book.
if you have kaplan , do it.
for a refrence, i used guyton, which i read during pregrad course.

good luck

Hi guys, Just got my NBDE 1 scores today! Got 89! Really happy with that score considering that I'm a mother of 2 toddlers, I consider that an achievement! Wish you all the best and see you in this years application cycle ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
BRAVOOOOOOOOOOO,
well done, know feel free for the next four weeks and i wish to hear from you

good luck:thumbup:

Thanks Haam! Just got my score today! In less than 2 weeks!! Got 89!! Super excited considering that I did it with 2 toddlers to take care of! Anyway, best of luck with the application cycle to us all!!

Thanks Haam! Just got my score today! In less than 2 weeks!! Got 89!! Super excited considering that I did it with 2 toddlers to take care of! Anyway, best of luck with the application cycle to us all!!
Congrats.. absolutely awesome.. need advise.. exam's on 20 June and am kind of all wired and unable to focus.. currently reading micro decks.. speed has gone down.. plz suggest.. hw did you slot your days?? when did you solve papers and what all did you read.... plz help... panic button is on!!

Congrats.. absolutely awesome.. need advise.. exam's on 20 June and am kind of all wired and unable to focus.. currently reading micro decks.. speed has gone down.. plz suggest.. hw did you slot your days?? when did you solve papers and what all did you read.... plz help... panic button is on!!

Thanks Anaita,

The most important thing is to rest your brain when you feel like you are overwhelmed with studying. You have been working hard for a long time and all the information in in your long term memory and won't be manifested completely until the exam day. Even if you take a small break, it will help you focus more than pushing yourself to get more info in your head. You still have time, just take breaks whenever you feel like your brain is fried. I only did ASDA papers for like 10 days and read them the night before the exam. that's all. Did decks 3 times and kaplan review notes only Biochemistry and Pathology

Thanks Anaita,

The most important thing is to rest your brain when you feel like you are overwhelmed with studying. You have been working hard for a long time and all the information in in your long term memory and won't be manifested completely until the exam day. Even if you take a small break, it will help you focus more than pushing yourself to get more info in your head. You still have time, just take breaks whenever you feel like your brain is fried. I only did ASDA papers for like 10 days and read them the night before the exam. that's all. Did decks 3 times and kaplan review notes only Biochemistry and Pathology
Thnx.. think, i'm gonna take a break and go out for sometime.. you are right!! All the best!! Great score!!

Hi guys, Just got my NBDE 1 scores today! Got 89! Really happy with that score considering that I'm a mother of 2 toddlers, I consider that an achievement! Wish you all the best and see you in this years application cycle ;)

Congratulations !!! gr8 work n with 2 kids its really commendable .
how many months did u take to prepare for part 1 .
what books u refer other then decks n kaplan plz advice

Congratulations !!! gr8 work n with 2 kids its really commendable .
how many months did u take to prepare for part 1 .
what books u refer other then decks n kaplan plz advice

Thanks vdt2009! It was very hard, but doable. It just needed a little commitment and dedication and the right material to study from.

I studied for about 7 months. But honestly, I was only doing 2-3 hrs a day during the week and 4-5 hrs a day on weekends. I also forgot to mention that I was working part-time throughout this whole period.

I used to read other peoples comments about studying 10 + hrs a day for more than 8 months and I used to freak out because I couldn't commit to such hours with my kids and my 2 jobs. I started the last 2 months studying about 4 hrs a day during weekdays and 6-7 hrs a day during weekends. As I got closer to the test, I started putting in more hours a day and focusing more and more. The last month I started studying 8 hrs a day, then the last 2 weeks when my husband was able to take time off to help me with the kids, I was studying almost all day long!

I just need to tell you all something very important. It doesn't matter how many hours you study and for how long. It all matters on how determine you are to get a good score even if you have the worst circumstances. I was very scared because I was not studying enough hours a day after I used to read comments on SDN, but what I had that was very important was determination. I was determine to defy all odds and prove to myself that I can still make it even though I had so much other things on my mine.

The materials I used were very simple and nothing complicated. I did buy a lot of textbooks before I started studying, but then realized that I don't have time to go through them if I want to finish and review all the material.

For Anatomy, I used First Aid NBDE and dental decks only. I also used a text book just for reference and illustrations.
For Physiology, I used First Aid NBDE and dental decks only
For Biochemistry, I used Kaplan review notes, First Aid USMLE , and dental decks(Awesome book!! I read it all more than twice!! A MUST HAVE)
For Pathology, I used Kaplan review notes, First Aid USMLE and First Aid NBDE and dental decks.

For Micro, I used ONLY First aid NBDE & First Aid USMLE
For Dental Anatomy, I used dental decks and Kaplan review notes.

I read dental decks 2 and a half times. Didn't have time to finish it the third time. I also did ASDA released exams but didn't go furthur than 1989. I read them once 3 weeks before my exam, then another time very briefly 2 days before my exam.

The most important thing is to have basic knowledge of all the materials, because that is what will help you on your test. Make sure you get lots of sleep and rest before the exam. I was very tired in s the second half of the test and couldn't focus because I was studying like crazy the last week trying to cram my head with information and was not able to sleep well the night before the exam. I am sure if I had slept well, I would have done better on the second half of the test.

Anyway, best of luck to all of you out there getting ready for your test and be confident with your knowledge, because you all worked very hard to prepare and will hopefully see a great result soon to come!:xf:

Thanks vdt2009! It was very hard, but doable. It just needed a little commitment and dedication and the right material to study from.

I studied for about 7 months. But honestly, I was only doing 2-3 hrs a day during the week and 4-5 hrs a day on weekends. I also forgot to mention that I was working part-time throughout this whole period.

I used to read other peoples comments about studying 10 + hrs a day for more than 8 months and I used to freak out because I couldn't commit to such hours with my kids and my 2 jobs. I started the last 2 months studying about 4 hrs a day during weekdays and 6-7 hrs a day during weekends. As I got closer to the test, I started putting in more hours a day and focusing more and more. The last month I started studying 8 hrs a day, then the last 2 weeks when my husband was able to take time off to help me with the kids, I was studying almost all day long!

I just need to tell you all something very important. It doesn't matter how many hours you study and for how long. It all matters on how determine you are to get a good score even if you have the worst circumstances. I was very scared because I was not studying enough hours a day after I used to read comments on SDN, but what I had that was very important was determination. I was determine to defy all odds and prove to myself that I can still make it even though I had so much other things on my mine.

The materials I used were very simple and nothing complicated. I did buy a lot of textbooks before I started studying, but then realized that I don't have time to go through them if I want to finish and review all the material.

For Anatomy, I used First Aid NBDE and dental decks only. I also used a text book just for reference and illustrations.
For Biochemistry, I used Kaplan review notes, First Aid USMLE , and dental decks(Awesome book!! I read it all more than twice!! A MUST HAVE)
For Pathology, I used Kaplan review notes, First Aid USMLE and First Aid NBDE and dental decks.

I read dental decks 2 and a half times. Didn't have time to finish it the third time. I also did ASDA released exams but didn't go furthur than 1989. I read them once 3 weeks before my exam, then another time very briefly 2 days before my exam.

The most important thing is to have basic knowledge of all the materials, because that is what will help you on your test. Make sure you get lots of sleep and rest before the exam. I was very tired in s the second half of the test and couldn't focus because I was studying like crazy the last week trying to cram my head with information and was not able to sleep well the night before the exam. I am sure if I had slept well, I would have done better on the second half of the test.

Anyway, best of luck to all of you out there getting ready for your test and be confident with your knowledge, because you all worked very hard to prepare and will hopefully see a great result soon to come!:xf:
lady u rock :)...........
thank u so much for all sugestions and Guidance ..really encouraging.
Good luck with your addmission

Thank you so much; best of luck for your admissions!!

Members don't see this ad :)

thank u so much for sharing things.very nice scores:thumbup:
can you please tell me how u manage time with kids?
i jus started my studies and its very difficult to manage with my 18 months old boy

Finally!!! Got done with my part 1 today.... Its been a long hectic day..
The exam was alright... Wasnt 'out of the ball park' difficult... But neither was it simple n easy....was pretty basic but kinda twisted n altered.... Can't say much till my results r out.

Hay guys ... i just started with Biochem now..with Usmle notes ..reffering lippincott also ...do we have to study every thing which is given in lippincott... i mean titration n all plz help

Thanks superdenntist!

My scores are as follows:

Comp score 89

Raw score: 320

Anatomy: 80
Patho/Micro: 76
Physio/Bio: 76
DA: 88

great going!! could i ask you how much you were scoring on the ASDA papers?

good luck with everything!

Congrats! it definitely is an achievement:thumbup:....and thanx for sharing ur study strategy.

congrats MPher83 for the score and thanx for all the info u shared with us..gudluck with ur application...

So how is the prep going on for everyone else who is planning to give the exam by the end of this month or anytime in mid july..as for me i have just 4 weeks left...gudluck everyone...

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAV0, WELL DONE:claps::claps:

really proud of you!!!
this is a gift from me
:banana::banana::banana:

Hi... i plan to give my exam in december 2011. Can anyone tell me a pattern to study and how much time does it take approximately to study all the 6 subjects thoroughly ??

Last edited:
Hi..can anyone guide me as to what identification card is acceptable at the prometric...I just have got my passport with me and a pan card which is an income tax card issued by the govt of india..would that work..i dont have any other id other than these...is it really necessary to have 2 id cards as such...thanx in advance for replying and gudluck everyone for the exam...

Hi... i plan to give my exam in december 2011. Can anyone tell me a pattern to study and how much time does it take approximately to study all the 6 subjects thoroughly ??

i'm sure you'll be fine just studying decks/first aid/etc...but if u wanna go over the top, make sure you understand the topics as much as possible...you will get random questions that are designed on purpose so that you've most likely haven't seen them before. if you understand stuff you can successfully wing those questions. (esp biochem/physio, somewhat path)

Hi..can anyone guide me as to what identification card is acceptable at the prometric...I just have got my passport with me and a pan card which is an income tax card issued by the govt of india..would that work..i dont have any other id other than these...is it really necessary to have 2 id cards as such...thanx in advance for replying and gudluck everyone for the exam...

Dear Being human, I did my exam in Baltimore, they didn't ask me except for my Passport. however, i did bring with me the mastercard as and additional ID. another friend of mine, did the exam in Boston, they asked for another ID, he gave them his driving licence and it worked out.

anyhow, any other ID with name compatible with that in your passport should be acceptable.
Good Luck:xf:

Thank u so much sw4gger. :)
I am doin physio these days and aim to complete it by d next week !
hi harshey im planning to take the exam near october or maybe earlier but havent taken the date as yet..wats your strategy of studying?
how many hours do you devote each day?

Hi guys,

I am just wondering how early on do we need to register for the exam? I was going to register for early Aug, but after reading threads on this forum, it seems like giving myself just 1.5months to study may not be enough.

I was going to just secure a spot now and may be postpone it later but I don't know if they allow us to postpone it to a few months after.

Thanks!

Dear Haam,
Thanx for the reply..I went to the prometric where i registered and they have accepted both my ids...so hopefully i wouldnt have any problem on the test day...just 20 days left..got to revise a lot...hey by the way how much u used to score on asda...i have done micro path completely and am between 84 to 87 somehwere for the first time solving the papers ...so how much do u think wud be gud to score in asda and how much did u score when u solved the papers for the first time..I am doing anat now...will finish it soon hopefully..waiting for ur reply regarding the asda score..bye

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am just wondering how early on do we need to register for the exam? I was going to register for early Aug, but after reading threads on this forum, it seems like giving myself just 1.5months to study may not be enough.

I was going to just secure a spot now and may be postpone it later but I don't know if they allow us to postpone it to a few months after.

Thanks!

how high are you trying to aim? pass? pwn(90-95)? destroy(96+)? for the first 2 you can do it in 1.5 months easy. for destroying it can be quite variable and it depends on your study habits, how well stuff is covered in school, and honestly somewhat luck on the questions you get. I had to basically learn micro on my own because besides strep and staph practically nothing was covered for us. YMMV.
and also you can push back your exam i don't believe a month or two would be a problem as far as prometrics is concerned.
don't let ppl here intimidate you. ppl in student affairs try to suggest that ppl who take the boards late tend to perform lower compared to students who take them early. Ultimately, you know who you are, how you study, what you know. Take it when you feel you know enough + when you can't take studying anymore. that's the best time to do IMO.

Last edited:
its long time since i checked the forum......can any1 tell me whether i need to do the n-series paper...i dont hav it....and im still doing decks.....havnt started papers and my exams are at end of july....

Dear Haam,
Thanx for the reply..I went to the prometric where i registered and they have accepted both my ids...so hopefully i wouldnt have any problem on the test day...just 20 days left..got to revise a lot...hey by the way how much u used to score on asda...i have done micro path completely and am between 84 to 87 somehwere for the first time solving the papers ...so how much do u think wud be gud to score in asda and how much did u score when u solved the papers for the first time..I am doing anat now...will finish it soon hopefully..waiting for ur reply regarding the asda score..bye
dear being human,
as the first time , i used to score around 85.
for my last prep, i scored 90+.
goodluck

how high are you trying to aim? pass? pwn(90-95)? destroy(96+)? for the first 2 you can do it in 1.5 months easy. for destroying it can be quite variable and it depends on your study habits, how well stuff is covered in school, and honestly somewhat luck on the questions you get. I had to basically learn micro on my own because besides strep and staph practically nothing was covered for us. YMMV.
and also you can push back your exam i don't believe a month or two would be a problem as far as prometrics is concerned.
don't let ppl here intimidate you. ppl in student affairs try to suggest that ppl who take the boards late tend to perform lower compared to students who take them early. Ultimately, you know who you are, how you study, what you know. Take it when you feel you know enough + when you can't take studying anymore. that's the best time to do IMO.
Totally agree.
i remembred when i used to see somone comments, when he said the he studied for 6 months and score 85, it was a shock for me.
don't stick to any reply firmly. everything is relatively diffrent from one to another.

Hi haam,
Got my scores today
Comp score-83
I'm really shocked cause I thought I did really well.
Micro path-79
Dental anat-84
Physiobiochem-70
Anat-60
I really need some help with this. I'm not even sure if I can apply to any university with this.

Don't worry dear it is still fine. however, anatomy seems that destroy your score so badly.
anyhow, congratulation for your pass and apply with this score everywhere you can and in case you were not accepted, i recommend you to take part 2.:thumbup:

and you are stilll here ..lol... good to see you helping everyone :) i just accidentally dropped by .. :)
Don't worry dear it is still fine. however, anatomy seems that destroy your score so badly.
anyhow, congratulation for your pass and apply with this score everywhere you can and in case you were not accepted, i recommend you to take part 2.:thumbup:

@ Uwill
If you feel insecure not doing N series,may be you should.
Personally I didn't havve it and didn't do it.
In fact compared to M series ,i found L series pattern to be more helpful.
and just in case you are wondering my score is 89.
What I feel is,just concentrate on what you are learning.Don't try to study from all sources you have.You should decide what you must revise in the end so that you will be confident.Try to be thorough with Decks and look up what you don't know.It's best not to try and learn anything new in the last 2 or 3 days in particular.Personal choice anyways.

Last edited:
Hi Haam,
Finally i am done with the exam..It actually feels wierd after studying so much that now u are actually done with it...Anyway hopefully i will get my result soon and then i can also help other ppl out too...gudluck everyone for the exam....

Cheers...dying to do my own banana dance now...keeping my fingers crossed....

Hi Haam,
Finally i am done with the exam..It actually feels wierd after studying so much that now u are actually done with it...Anyway hopefully i will get my result soon and then i can also help other ppl out too...gudluck everyone for the exam....

Cheers...dying to do my own banana dance now...keeping my fingers crossed....
congratulation:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
can't wait to hear from you.
i know that you will do great:xf:

dear being human,
as the first time , i used to score around 85.
for my last prep, i scored 90+.
goodluck

Hey guys just wanted to know ,the 1st time u did asda papers was before or after rivision?and is there any use of doing the papers for a second time?

Hi all,

I realize there are other threads on this topic but I would appreciate it if someone who is willing to sell their NBDE1 material would let me know ASAP since I would like to start studying as soon as possible.

Also does anyone have the new edition of the board busters and ASDA exams either as a hard copy or a CD?

Thank you.

Hi all,

I realize there are other threads on this topic but I would appreciate it if someone who is willing to sell their NBDE1 material would let me know ASAP since I would like to start studying as soon as possible.

Also does anyone have the new edition of the board busters and ASDA exams either as a hard copy or a CD?

Thank you.

inform me too.............

Hii....
I am planning to give my NBDE part 1 in december 2011.
I need a study partner in delhi or gurgaon. !! If any1 is intrested, do let me knw...

hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo
it's been a long time guys, i hope that you all doing great!
any good news, being human where are you?

hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo
it's been a long time guys, i hope that you all doing great!
any good news, being human where are you?

Hi i just took nbde I 9 days ago. I was asking as an international student how long does it take for the result to reach ur native country?
I am really freaked out...been studying hard and i think i screwed:(, i marked like 110 question so...