NC State University c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all those accepted!!! I'm a 2018er (IS, though) and am here if you have any questions about Raleigh or NC State. Good luck to all those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted OOS. I am between Ohio State and NCSU. Does anyone have any input or things I should know before making my decision? I am living in Ohio for undergrad (still OOS for Ohio though), so I have seen OSU. I am attending NCSU's admitted students day. NCSU is about $69,500 cheaper for me(granted I am able to switch to IS after my first year at both schools). The post explaining the process was very helpful, but does anyone know about how many students are able to switch to IS, versus the amount turned down? I am nervous about this. Also, I am planning on practicing mixed animal, but my biggest interest is large animal. Any and all input is appreciated!

Congratulations! OSU was my second choice and I'm an equine focused student. I think we have a really high level of mixed animal track students, and most of them seem happy with their process. If you can make it to accepted students weekend, it will definitely help you make your decision. I really felt like I needed to feel the campus and the student body. If you have any questions let me know.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any current NC state vet student that can comment on the opportunities to focus on wildlife medicine at NC state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current NC state vet student that can comment on the opportunities to focus on wildlife medicine at NC state?
I am not a zoo/exotics focus student, but there are several of them in my class. NCSU has programmatic strengths in this area. A large group of dedicated faculty mentors students to become successful zoological and exotics practitioners each year. NCSU was FIRST to offer a residency in zoological medicine. If this is your interest, NCSU is the place to be- no doubt there. Be mindful of the competition inherent to zoo (and particularly wildlife/conservation) jobs. There just aren't that many. If zoo (wildlife, etc.) is your thing, you must be 100% committed. Students currently pursuing this road would be able to tell you more about the ins/outs than I can. Good luck.

Does NCSU include community college GPAs in the calculation of cGPA for admissions?

Does NCSU include community college GPAs in the calculation of cGPA for admissions?

The website says they use all college level classes....so I would assume community college classes are factored in.

A few tid-bits on our wildlife, aquatics and zoological medicine offerings:

- Six American College of Zoological Medicine diplomates on faculty (including two adjuncts from the NC Zoo).

- A dedicated facility at the coast under the leadership of Dr. Craig Harms (CMAST).

-Close affiliations with the three NC Aquariums, Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center, NC Museum of Natural Sciences, the Beaufort NOAA lab, NMFS, Duke Marine Lab, UNC Marine program, and several other organizations and institutions.

- An ongoing and established residency program with three DVM residents.

- An exotic animal medicine service (opened full time in August 2012).

- The student-run Turtle Rescue Team.

- Weekly zoological medicine teaching rounds (CBS-817/818).

- A core curriculum with lectures and labs focused on zoological species.

- Numerous elective and selective course offerings that deal specifically with invertebrates, fishes, reptiles, birds, ferrets, non-human primates, conservation, international travel, One Health, and other topics.

- A clinical rotation focused on sea turtle medicine and surgery.

-Numerous research opportunities for DVM students (abstracts, presentations, and peer-review publications).

- Summer funding opportunities.

- Curriculum focus areas for zoological, laboratory animal, and combined small animal/special species medicine.

You can find more information on the NCSU-CVM web site!

www.cvm.ncsu.edu

Reactions: 4 users
The website says they use all college level classes....so I would assume community college classes are factored in.
This response is correct. ALL college level courses (undergraduate, graduate, community college, etc.)

Just emailed NC State to remove myself from the OOS waitlist . . . good luck to all of you! :)

A few tid-bits on our wildlife, aquatics and zoological medicine offerings:

- Six American College of Zoological Medicine diplomates on faculty (including two adjuncts from the NC Zoo).

- A dedicated facility at the coast under the leadership of Dr. Craig Harms (CMAST).

-Close affiliations with the three NC Aquariums, Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center, NC Museum of Natural Sciences, the Beaufort NOAA lab, NMFS, Duke Marine Lab, UNC Marine program, and several other organizations and institutions.

- An ongoing and established residency program with three DVM residents.

- An exotic animal medicine service (opened full time in August 2012).

- The student-run Turtle Rescue Team.

- Weekly zoological medicine teaching rounds (CBS-817/818).

- A core curriculum with lectures and labs focused on zoological species.

- Numerous elective and selective course offerings that deal specifically with invertebrates, fishes, reptiles, birds, ferrets, non-human primates, conservation, international travel, One Health, and other topics.

- A clinical rotation focused on sea turtle medicine and surgery.

-Numerous research opportunities for DVM students (abstracts, presentations, and peer-review publications).

- Summer funding opportunities.

- Curriculum focus areas for zoological, laboratory animal, and combined small animal/special species medicine.

You can find more information on the NCSU-CVM web site!

www.cvm.ncsu.edu
Yeah, we have a pretty rockin' zoo/exotics/wildlife program. Glad you posted that. I wasn't aware of all the specifics. Jeff- is that you (you signed your name to a previous reply)?? Do you know who I am ;)

From what I can tell looking at past threads and calendars the IS decisions have been sent during NCSU spring break the last 3 years. Could we be that lucky? The wait is truly driving me insane. How are you other IS students doing? Does your heart skip a beat when you see stuff sent from the school?

I am IS and check this thread like every day lol. The days are just creeping by. I just want to know. o_O

Reactions: 1 users
From what I can tell looking at past threads and calendars the IS decisions have been sent during NCSU spring break the last 3 years. Could we be that lucky? The wait is truly driving me insane. How are you other IS students doing? Does your heart skip a beat when you see stuff sent from the school?

With how delayed the OOS notification was, I doubt we'll be so lucky :( I'm just hoping they stick to a March 15th deadline!

Members don't see this ad :)
With how delayed the OOS notification was, I doubt we'll be so lucky :( I'm just hoping they stick to a March 15th deadline!
I am hoping it will be next week. When I get the email, I'm going to be nervous. I want to read it but don't at the same time!! lol

I think two years ago it was also delayed OOS and they beat the March 15 deadline for IS. But I could be mistaken. I'm sure it depends on what the applications look like and how difficult a decision it is. I just can't wait anymore. It's driving me crazy.

I am hoping it will be next week. When I get the email, I'm going to be nervous. I want to read it but don't at the same time!! lol

I feel the exact same! I want the email to come so bad but I feel like it will take a good while we me to build up the courage to actually open it

I think two years ago it was also delayed OOS and they beat the March 15 deadline for IS. But I could be mistaken. I'm sure it depends on what the applications look like and how difficult a decision it is. I just can't wait anymore. It's driving me crazy.

I hope that's the case! This wait is killing me!

I feel exactly the same as you guys. NCSU is my top choice so perhaps that is why I'm so antsy. I even tried asking a magic 8 ball the other day. However, it was apparently in cahoots with State as my answer was "ask again later", lol. Anyway, I guess we will all hear something soon enough. The March 15th deadline isn't that far away now.

Last year it went out before March 15 on a friday... but March 15th was a Sunday. So I have no idea how to predict it. I'm just grateful it isn't looking like April 1st!

Accepted OOS. I am between Ohio State and NCSU. Does anyone have any input or things I should know before making my decision? I am living in Ohio for undergrad (still OOS for Ohio though), so I have seen OSU. I am attending NCSU's admitted students day. NCSU is about $69,500 cheaper for me(granted I am able to switch to IS after my first year at both schools). The post explaining the process was very helpful, but does anyone know about how many students are able to switch to IS, versus the amount turned down? I am nervous about this. Also, I am planning on practicing mixed animal, but my biggest interest is large animal. Any and all input is appreciated!

I'm a 3rd year, in the time I have been here I have not heard of anyone not getting IS. We have a lawyer who can help you walk through the process and our new student guide has great info on how to dot your Is and cross your Ts.

One of my professors is on the admissions committee, and today he said that they would be meeting to make final decisions on Wednesday for the IS students. Plans could change, but I thought you'd like to know.

I'm a 3rd year, in the time I have been here I have not heard of anyone not getting IS. We have a lawyer who can help you walk through the process and our new student guide has great info on how to dot your Is and cross your Ts.

One of my professors is on the admissions committee, and today he said that they would be meeting to make final decisions on Wednesday for the IS students. Plans could change, but I thought you'd like to know.

Thanks for the insider info!!! Eases my anxiety a little until after wednesday!

Thank you for the info! I immediately got nauseous after reading that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Really envious of the OOSers who know their fate while this ISer's anxiety is through the roof. :xf: to hear news-good or bad- by next week!

Last edited:
Denied... Not fun... But still have 3 OOS schools to choose from but that IS tuition would have been nice

Accepted IS and definitely attending ! I am overjoyed!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I have been lurking for a little while now but made an account just for this. Accepted IS! Can't wait to meet all of you!

Congratulations to you all! We will love to see you here in the fall. Waitlisters, don't give up hope. We always have some that get pulled off.

Accepted IS!!! I cannot wait to meet everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Will there be a class of 2020 Facebook page?

Accepted IS!
Very excited to meet everyone.

Congrats to all of you that were accepted!!! I unfortunately was waitlisted, again :(. I was really hoping I would get into State, but atleast I have the option to go OOS. Still keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get pulled from the waitlist though:xf:.

Hey Class of 2020! Congrats on your acceptances! I am a member of the Class of 2019, and we created a Facebook group for all of you. Feel free to ask any questions and start connecting with your future classmates. The link is below. Welcome to the Pack!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1677199039234699/

Congrats to all of you that were accepted!!! I unfortunately was waitlisted, again :(. I was really hoping I would get into State, but atleast I have the option to go OOS. Still keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get pulled from the waitlist though:xf:.
To those waitlisted, a few friends of mine got off it and are current first years. Its possible! Don't give up hope!

Sitting on the wait-list :unsure: I thought waiting 6 months from applying until now was bad... adding this on is definitely worse. I graduate with my Master's in May and was hoping to start getting post graduation life figured out. :smack:

Congrats to all the acceptances!!

Sitting on the wait-list :unsure: I thought waiting 6 months from applying until now was bad... adding this on is definitely worse. I graduate with my Master's in May and was hoping to start getting post graduation life figured out. :smack:

Congrats to all the acceptances!!

At least you still got a chance! Rejected OOS :(

Hey! I am planning on applying to NC State this next round and I had a quick couple questions if someone would be kind enough to help me out! (New at this website so sorry if this isn't the best place to ask them but I thought I'd try). My biggest concern is getting the 400 minimum hours required. For example, if I worked in beef nutrition research this summer on a master student's project (who is in turn doing the project under one of my PhD professors), could that count toward the 400 required hours? Also, where can I get a for sure answer on if my animal science department's genetics class would count as a pre-req? Thank you!

Does anyone have any input on what we should wear to the admitted students day? Like how formal should the attire be?
Thanks!

Does anyone have any input on what we should wear to the admitted students day? Like how formal should the attire be?
Thanks!
I am not a current student, but I work at the vet school (and will be in the class of 2020, yay!). For the early afternoon events at the vet school and the evening social event I would say casual is fine. Not sure about the reception at the University Club, perhaps a tad nicer than casual (e.g., for guys, something with a collar rather than a t-shirt), but I don't think there is any need to dress up.

Hey! I am planning on applying to NC State this next round and I had a quick couple questions if someone would be kind enough to help me out! (New at this website so sorry if this isn't the best place to ask them but I thought I'd try). My biggest concern is getting the 400 minimum hours required. For example, if I worked in beef nutrition research this summer on a master student's project (who is in turn doing the project under one of my PhD professors), could that count toward the 400 required hours? Also, where can I get a for sure answer on if my animal science department's genetics class would count as a pre-req? Thank you!
Jeff Huckel is very helpful for all of that information. He is the admissions coordinator..his email is : [email protected]

I am not a current student, but I work at the vet school (and will be in the class of 2020, yay!). For the early afternoon events at the vet school and the evening social event I would say casual is fine. Not sure about the reception at the University Club, perhaps a tad nicer than casual (e.g., for guys, something with a collar rather than a t-shirt), but I don't think there is any need to dress up.
I work at the vet school too!! What department are you in? I bet I already know you.