NCSU c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab Vet

I love regs!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying here OOS for the class of 2018. It is incredibly competitive to be accepted to NCSU as an OOS applicant, but I've got high hopes. This is one of the few (if not the only) veterinary school in the US which has a specific track for laboratory animal medicine. I made a trip out to Raleigh specifically to visit the school and fell in love. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed! Go Wolfpack!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to NCSU too, good luck!!!

NCSU is in my top 3. Love the tuition, the location/weather, and the abundance of ponies ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
NCSU is my IS school :) I have gone to NCSU for undergrad and grad degrees. I know they say to diversify, but I am a Wolfpacker. I was talking to a classmate and calculated that if I get into NCSU for Vet School, I would have attended NCSU for about 11 years.

NCSU is my IS too. Hopefully it'll work out, I would LOVE to spend another 4 years at NC State (and my walled would love it too ;)).

From NCSU CVM: The supplemental application for the 2013 cycle will be available from 1:00pm on July 8, 2013 until the deadline. A bit of a late start for the supplemental :(

From NCSU CVM: The supplemental application for the 2013 cycle will be available from 1:00pm on July 8, 2013 until the deadline. A bit of a late start for the supplemental :(

Don't worry. I don't think I really started to work on my VMCAS until then. You'll have plenty of time to get it all done. And there's no benefit to submitting earlier rather than later as long as you don't wait until like the last few nights before. You just don't want something to happen while you're submitting it.

Don't worry. I don't think I really started to work on my VMCAS until then. You'll have plenty of time to get it all done. And there's no benefit to submitting earlier rather than later as long as you don't wait until like the last few nights before. You just don't want something to happen while you're submitting it.

:thumbup:

Two years ago they had six essay questions for OOS and seven for IS. By essay questions your max is 250 words. So like two paragraphs. There was a decent amount to it, but it wasn't too bad.

Thanks, Orcagirl. That's what I'm expecting. I actually set up a VMCAS account and filled out a majority of the required information last cycle just to 'test drive' the process to see what I'd be in for my actual application cycle this year. I had the benefit of having a VMCAS ID, so logged on to many of the supplemental application sites to see what I was in for as far as they were concerned as well. I saved the questions from the 2012 NCSU supplemental in a word doc, but have been hesitant to begin working on them in case the application completely changes. I think that I'll hold off. Although I would be stoked to attend ANY veterinary school (they are all fabulous institutions), I must say that NCSU is my first choice. I know how difficult it is to gain admittance as an out of state student, the odds are stacked against me (against anyone). That being said, I think that I have a decent chance and am throwing my hat into the ring. Hope that all is going well with your studies there, and that you're having a wonderful summer so far!

Two years ago they had six essay questions for OOS and seven for IS. By essay questions your max is 250 words. So like two paragraphs. There was a decent amount to it, but it wasn't too bad.

I HATED how short they were to an extent. I had to work really hard to get my point through succinctly.

I am NCSU c/o 2017 OOS. I NEVER thought I would get in so keep your hopes up. Someone has to get those 20 spots!

Good luck everyone!

I am NCSU c/o 2017 OOS. I NEVER thought I would get in so keep your hopes up. Someone has to get those 20 spots!

Good luck everyone!

This exactly my thinking, JoAnna! Although it's a stacked deck, someone must indeed get those 20 OOS slots that exist at NCSU each application cycle. You were fortunate enough to snag one of them last cycle (and no doubt deserved it!). Perhaps this cycle will be my year. I've never let odds determine my future in the past, and don't intend to let them do so now. Here's hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, Lab Vet. I too am lab interest OOS from CO in the c/o 2017 here at NCSU.

If you need any proofreaders/editors for the application and PS, check out the PS thread. It's extremely helpful to have another person glance over your work. All the applications are so long that you can get lost and lose perspective.

Thanks, hygebeorht! Congrats on your 2017 NCSU OOS acceptance! That's quite a feat. I'm impressed. Another lab person :) Good to meet you. Perhaps I'll be joining you in Raleigh next year.

I'm still working on my PS, but will definitely be sending it out when I feel satisfied with a final draft. Thanks for the tip, and for your vote of support! I appreciate you, and other members of the SDN community, offering review services to help us out.

Im thinking about applying too! has anyone tried to start their supplemental app yet?
It keeps saying my VMCAS ID# is wrong, but I even copied it directly along with typing it out. ::shrug::

"The VMCAS ID entered is invalid (32004,213)
The VMCAS ID must begin with the academic year you are applying for"

Im thinking about applying too! has anyone tried to start their supplemental app yet?
It keeps saying my VMCAS ID# is wrong, but I even copied it directly along with typing it out. ::shrug::

"The VMCAS ID entered is invalid (32004,213)
The VMCAS ID must begin with the academic year you are applying for"

The supplemental application for the 2013 cycle has not opened yet (July 8). You're probably trying to log-in to the 2012 cycle's supplement.

NCSU Supplemental is now scheduled to open on Wednesday (7/10).

What are everyone's opinions of the supplemental? I'm just about finished with it - just looking over the editing the details. I thought the essays were really interesting. I enjoyed writing about some of them!

Hello everybody! I'm applying for the class of 2020, two years after you all. This school's my IS. :D

Raleigh's a nice place! You all will like it here.

Best of luck to all of you! Go Wolfpack!

What are everyone's opinions of the supplemental? I'm just about finished with it - just looking over the editing the details. I thought the essays were really interesting. I enjoyed writing about some of them!

They are very much ethics based questions, but are interesting. I have been jotting down some ideas for them, so we shall see.

I liked them too! I finished them a few days ago.

Fun fact: that blind chicken supplemental question was actually a full out class discussion during the vet school's ethics/animal welfare class when I took it. Interesting that they seem to have more ethical questions on the supplemental than before.

Fun fact: that blind chicken supplemental question was actually a full out class discussion during the vet school's ethics/animal welfare class when I took it. Interesting that they seem to have more ethical questions on the supplemental than before.

Chicken question = great. Fantastic exercise. Really made me think. :thumbup:

I made a last minute decision to join you guys this application cycle, and will be taking calculus soon. It was mainly for tuition and program purposes. Good luck everyone!

NCSU is asking for contact information for ALL of the vets you have ever worked with. A lot of the vets that I have worked with have scattered and I have no idea what their contact information is? I'll be honest, the ones that I do have contact information for I'd rather not have contacted. I went through a couple of vet tech positions before I made it to the amazing job that I have now. Some of those vets were not exactly the nicest people. Does NCSU really want to contact every single vet you've ever worked with? And will my not so nice experiences with some of them hurt my application?

Supplemental application submitted :)

ShelterMedVet: The NCSU supplemental application gives you the opportunity to state whether or not you want a specific reference contacted. It's a short character limit, but the option is there nonetheless. If you choose to use it (I did, for two out of the seven references that I included in this section), I recommend that you put a positive spin on the reason. I had positive relationships with the individuals I listed, but had not spoken to them in many, many years. NCSU would be better served in contacting more current references on my behalf.

Hey everyone! Getting nervous now that I still haven't completed my supplemental for NC State... but I was wondering how many contacts everyone was putting, and if it looked bad that I'll probably only put 1 or 2?? I have been around more vets, I just don't feel comfortable contacting them at this point, since it's been a long time that I've spoken to them.

Hey everyone! Getting nervous now that I still haven't completed my supplemental for NC State... but I was wondering how many contacts everyone was putting, and if it looked bad that I'll probably only put 1 or 2?? I have been around more vets, I just don't feel comfortable contacting them at this point, since it's been a long time that I've spoken to them.
Don't worry, I have not finished mine yet either. I have a paper due next week that I am trying to finish so I can finish up the rest of my supps!

I don't that I am going to have many to put in there. I may only have 1 or 2 more additional contacts to put in there.

Good Luck!

Hi Kell:

The NCSU supplemental requests that you list contacts from which you did not receive official eLORs for your VMCAS. That being said, the number of contacts on the supp will depend upon your particular circumstances (i.e. what type of experiences you listed on your VMCAS app). If you listed an veterinary/research experience on VMCAS (from which you did not receive an official eLOR) this experience needs to be mentioned on the NCSU supplemental in the form of a 'contact.' NCSU gives you the option whether or not you want this individual contacted, and gives you a small space (i.e. about 75 characters) to explain why you don't want them contacted, if this is the response you chose.

I had 7 'contacts' listed on my NCSU supp. I am 34, and have worked in a variety of environments for a number of years. Of those 7, I requested that 2 not be contacted because I have not been in contact with these individuals for multiple years. I also mentioned (in the tiny space available) that I do have proof that the experience took place. NCSU has plenty of options available to contact my other references (in both the form of official eLOR, as well as other experiences listed) to get a feel for my experience range and suitability for the veterinary profession.

If you list an experience on VMCAS (and do not obtain an official eLOR), you do not have the option to 'opt out' of including the 'contact' on the NCSU supp. If you don't want the individual contacted, say so in the space provided (that's why it's there). Admissions folks are human- they know that every experience can't be golden. Also, there are those of us that are older and have been the workforce for a number of years. One of the experiences I listed dates all the way back to high school! That being said, if you think the contact would really reflect poorly on you, you have the option of removing the experience from VMCAS entirely. I personally wouldn't go this route.

Good luck. :luck:

Hi Kell:

The NCSU supplemental requests that you list contacts from which you did not receive official eLORs for your VMCAS. That being said, the number of contacts on the supp will depend upon your particular circumstances (i.e. what type of experiences you listed on your VMCAS app). If you listed an veterinary/research experience on VMCAS (from which you did not receive an official eLOR) this experience needs to be mentioned on the NCSU supplemental in the form of a 'contact.' NCSU gives you the option whether or not you want this individual contacted, and gives you a small space (i.e. about 75 characters) to explain why you don't want them contacted, if this is the response you chose.

I had 7 'contacts' listed on my NCSU supp. I am 34, and have worked in a variety of environments for a number of years. Of those 7, I requested that 2 not be contacted because I have not been in contact with these individuals for multiple years. I also mentioned (in the tiny space available) that I do have proof that the experience took place. NCSU has plenty of options available to contact my other references (in both the form of official eLOR, as well as other experiences listed) to get a feel for my experience range and suitability for the veterinary profession.

If you list an experience on VMCAS (and do not obtain an official eLOR), you do not have the option to 'opt out' of including the 'contact' on the NCSU supp. If you don't want the individual contacted, say so in the space provided (that's why it's there). Admissions folks are human- they know that every experience can't be golden. Also, there are those of us that are older and have been the workforce for a number of years. One of the experiences I listed dates all the way back to high school! That being said, if you think the contact would really reflect poorly on you, you have the option of removing the experience from VMCAS entirely. I personally wouldn't go this route.

Good luck. :luck:

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot

Just a quick question, does NCSU do OOS interviews? I'm just looking at all possible travel costs right now so I can try to plan accordingly. Thanks!

Just a quick question, does NCSU do OOS interviews? I'm just looking at all possible travel costs right now so I can try to plan accordingly. Thanks!

Nope! NCSU doesn't do interviews for anyone.

Nope! NCSU doesn't do interviews for anyone.
Well, that's good and bad. Yay I don't have to spend the money on travel but boo because sometimes interviews help and I have friends there I was hoping to visit. Thanks for answering my question!

Well, that's good and bad. Yay I don't have to spend the money on travel but boo because sometimes interviews help and I have friends there I was hoping to visit. Thanks for answering my question!

Faculty here have repeated endlessly that interviews don't really change the class at all.

Faculty here have repeated endlessly that interviews don't really change the class at all.
Sometimes seeing a person in person like for an interview can give you a better sense of who they are. Someone can be pretty awesome on paper, but horrible at people skills when face to face with other people. That's all I meant.

Sometimes seeing a person in person like for an interview can give you a better sense of who they are. Someone can be pretty awesome on paper, but horrible at people skills when face to face with other people. That's all I meant.

No I know. They just did it side by side for two years before switching to the no interview process and apparently the accepted students were only 3 or 4 different. Trust me there are some people that you think "hmm I wonder if you'd be here if we did interviews..."

No I know. They just did it side by side for two years before switching to the no interview process and apparently the accepted students were only 3 or 4 different. Trust me there are some people that you think "hmm I wonder if you'd be here if we did interviews..."
Ah ok, now I understand lol yea I'm sure there's always a few like that. I'm more boo about not seeing my friends. I haven't seen them in like 10 years so it would've been a good excuse.

I live right down the road so it does not make a huge impact on me, but I feel like the interview process is also for the benefit of the student themselves. It allows them to get to see the school and the ability to get to know more of the people there. State does a lot of informations sessions with a tour of the facility, but you don't get to meet any of the faculty or interact with the students.

I guess it also helps them save money in the long run.

So, I am finishing up my supplemental application (finally) and I am not wondering if I should put the second vet at the practice I use to work at. The main vet (he also owns the practice) provided me an eLOR. AND if I should list my manager that I worked under when I was doing basic lab animal husbandry or my manager when I worked at the Public Health Lab, they are both listed on my VMCAS app (as Animal Experience per multiple AdComs directions) but neither are phDs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

So, I am finishing up my supplemental application (finally) and I am not wondering if I should put the second vet at the practice I use to work at. The main vet (he also owns the practice) provided me an eLOR. AND if I should list my manager that I worked under when I was doing basic lab animal husbandry or my manager when I worked at the Public Health Lab, they are both listed on my VMCAS app (as Animal Experience per multiple AdComs directions) but neither are phDs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're *supposed* to do, but I am listing all vets. So one of my eLORS is from a vet at a clinic with two vets so I'm listing the other vet. And another eLOR is a vet from a clinic with 4 vets, so I'm listing the other 3 together with the phone number of the clinic. My friend who is a first year vet student at NCSU now did hers the same way, so at least it won't hurt you :)

I don't know that you should list them. I am only listing contacts from my veterinary and research experience and not my animal experience. I would list them despite not being DVM/PhDs if they were in the vet or research section. But I did not think they wanted the information for animal experience...

I am only listing contacts from my veterinary and research experience and not my animal experience.

:thumbup: This is how I handled the NCSU supp. I listed all of my contacts from vet/research experience (DVM/PhD/MD), and did not list contacts from animal experience.

I also did it that way - and holy crap, I had a LOT of vets on there from shadowing for a day or two in a bunch of the school departments. That section took way longer than it should have.

Have any OOS applicants received a 'Receipt of Credentials' email from NCSU? According to the institution's published admissions timeline, 'receipt of credentials' notifications for OOS applicants should have 'begun' to be sent on October 15th [I have no idea how long this process lasts]. Just curious. I haven't yet received one, but I'm not in freak out mode quite yet ;)

Do not fret. They tend to run "behind" schedule every year.

:thumbup: Thanks, Wulfpack. This is what I suspected. Man, I feel so sorry for you ISers when it comes to NCSU. SUCH a long wait when it comes to hearing anything :( My heart goes out to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I admit it. I started to freak out about NCSU because I hadn't yet heard anything from them. I contacted Jessica Aycock from admissions today. She told me that Student Services is slowly working through the OOS pile. There are over 800 applicants for 20 OOS slots. OOS applicants will receive their 'Receipt of Credentials' notifications in alphabetical order. I'm at the back end of the alphabet, so I've got a bit of a wait. That's totally fine, I just wanted to be sure my file hadn't gotten lost. Just figured I'd post this for any NCSU OOS folks who may be waiting/wondering.