Need Advice (Pre-Med) - Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floridagirlfuturedoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm almost graduating undergrad but managing a low 3.1 GPA. Have not yet taken the MCAT - not looking to do PostBac due to financial issues. Recommendations of what to do next? Do I even have a chance with MD - or should I stick with just DO. When to apply? Do I even have a chance... I know my stats are low...I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

No MCAT = not much help. That GPA is lethal for MD and you'll have a hard time in DO schools given your performance over 4 years. If you don't do a program like a PB or an SMP (dependent on your MCAT) I don't know if you have much of a chance of getting into med school. Other members might be able to give more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the MCAT soon, will update with score later. Thank you for your advice. Also would you guys happen to know if EC's could also help me. I know the GPA is killer and have really low chances. I did mess up my first two years and then showed an upward trend - it's low due to retakes of 2 classes and I calculated this GPA with both retakes. Furthermore, I still have classes to take hoping to improve by maybe .1 to my cur recent GPA. Will I just get cut off regardless of this?

You have chance with DO, just focus focus focus on the MCAT and you can prove you have what it takes.

Hey guys, I'm almost graduating undergrad but managing a low 3.1 GPA. Have not yet taken the MCAT - not looking to do PostBac due to financial issues. Recommendations of what to do next? Do I even have a chance with MD - or should I stick with just DO. When to apply? Do I even have a chance... I know my stats are low...I appreciate everyone's opinion.
Work for a few years, save some money and then do the post-bac (DIY) or SMP. Your GPA is low enough that a lot of DO schools will reject you, including mine.

Hi Goro, can you help advise me in the courses I should retake? I know for a fact that I will have to repeat Chemistry 1 and 2 as I took those classes as a freshman and received a C due to my mistakes at a young age. Furthermore, I retook Orgo 1 and 2 twice and received a B and C respectively the second time. (Those are my only retakes). My other C's derive from math courses as those were my weak points. Therefore, should I also retake those math courses? I am taking higher level courses and doing well (A's and B's - ex. Biochem I received an A). Of course this is a long process but I am willing, I just need some guidance. I want to try my best in pursing medical school. But I do understand that I have lower chances and that I did this to myself, but I do not want to switch options until I know I have exhausted all of them. Thanks for all your advice.