This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rraspirer

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Need thoughts. I only took COMLEX 1 (~600), no step 1. I really loved child psych, peds, and FM rotations.
-FM: Love that you can build relationships with adults and kids over time. Don't want to do many procedures or manage HTN and DM all day though...Long hours/exhausting? Some FM-related activities (presentations, club activities).
-Child Psych: This is a passion of mine, mental health in kids. However, I am worried about whether I can match psych post-merger given I am a DO student who only took COMLEX. Strong CV for psych (leadership and other activities but no psych-specific publications).
-Peds: Absolutely loved my peds rotation but don't want to do UVCs and other procedures. Enjoy promoting the overall health of the kiddos. Compensation not so great? No significant peds related activities 🙁

Any honest thoughts would be much appreciated!
 
Seems pretty clear-cut to me you belong in psych. And I wouldn't worry too much about matching. Even without USMLE your comlex is good enough you would really need to be a terrible interviewee to not match if you apply broadly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should apply psych since you seem to have a passion for it. Other than the big name programs, psych residencies don't care too much about Step 1 scores or tons of research. You having activities that demonstrate interest and having a genuine passion for psych will help a lot. Make sure you figure out which programs require a Step 1 score so you can avoid those.
 
Apply psych with peds as backup. Chest out post-pediatric portal program if that’s where you end up
 
You should be fine for psych, it’s all about how you interview. Same for peds, your scores are fine as many programs accept just comlex
 
Psych easy, triple board peds as backup would be cool as well. I would pick specialist over general medicine IMO.