This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItchyDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been interviewed at 3 schools and all of them have put me on the waitlist.
  • Detroit Mercy
  • Roseman University
  • NYU
Unfortunately, that is all the schools left that I have applied to.

I was wondering, realistically, what are my chances of getting into those schools? Do people from the waitlist really get a chance? What should I be doing; calling these schools, writing an intent letter, etc
Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Write a letter of intent but don't be pushy. Definitely show your interest. NYU has many students who drop acceptances due to the price so I'm sure the wait list moves.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been interviewed at 3 schools and all of them have put me on the waitlist.
  • Detroit Mercy
  • Roseman University
  • NYU
Unfortunately, that is all the schools left that I have applied to.

I was wondering, realistically, what are my chances of getting into those schools? Do people from the waitlist really get a chance? What should I be doing; calling these schools, writing an intent letter, etc
Any insight would be greatly appreciated

This doesn't help, but I was also on the wait list for 2 of the 3 schools you listed. I did everything in my power to get off the wait list at both and it didn't work out. NYU feeds off of wait listed students begging and calling every week. It doesn't make sense for them to tell people to call every week to "show interest." Applying to your expensive school and paying for application fees isn't showing interest????? My #1 school (these weren't my #1) called me and saved me from that wait list horror. So my best advice is to have plan B ready to go and try not to put too much hope in getting off the wait list. I'm saying this to emotionally help you out and prepare for the next cycle.

I emailed/called/spoke to NYU over and over again, and they took me off the waitlist. Show interest.

Show interest in the form of literally showing interest or also updating them when there's something specific that you've continued or achieved (i.e. grades, continued extracurriculars, continued shadowing/work). Just because everyone does it doesn't mean that it's useless to do it (in my opinion, that's a terrible mindset in this situation).

Definitely show interest (just not every day or week). However I would also be realistic and start making plans in the event that you don't get off any of the three wait lists. It's not over yet, I have a friend that got off his wait list in July last year. Good luck!

This is really interesting. I have the same problem. I have been wait listed at my top choice and have updated them, but I have nothing more to say. What should I say next and how soon? Since finding out I was wait listed I contacted them two weeks ago via email. **NOTE: I am not wait listed at any of these schools.

This doesn't help, but I was also on the wait list for 2 of the 3 schools you listed. I did everything in my power to get off the wait list at both and it didn't work out. NYU feeds off of wait listed students begging and calling every week. It doesn't make sense for them to tell people to call every week to "show interest." Applying to your expensive school and paying for application fees isn't showing interest????? My #1 school (these weren't my #1) called me and saved me from that wait list horror. So my best advice is to have plan B ready to go and try not to put too much hope in getting off the wait list. I'm saying this to emotionally help you out and prepare for the next cycle.
In the meantime, I would try to improve my interviewing skills in case you land another one. Try to analyze each interview and see what you can work on to improve your chance. At the same time, keep showing each school that you are interested in them whether they are your first choice or not. The most important point is to remain positive, I wish you well.

I emailed/called/spoke to NYU over and over again, and they took me off the waitlist. Show interest.

When were you taken off the waitlist ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

hey so I am doing this now, but they seem super annoyed with me.... did you have that experience? I call every 2 weeks. What would you say on the phone

hey so I am doing this now, but they seem super annoyed with me.... did you have that experience? I call every 2 weeks. What would you say on the phone
If they seemed annoyed I'd back off a bit.

what's super annoyed? not wanting to listen to what you have to say?

yeah like you can tell in the voice. What do
what's super annoyed? not wanting to listen to what you have to say?
you say when you call.. maybe I am saying the wrong type of stuff

Well, actually I only called once. The guy was cool. I was waitlisted so I asked him what that meant for me, what I could do to improve my chances, when I might hear back.

I emailed them with every (little) update that I had. They got a little annoyed, yeah. I backed off, but I still emailed them every chance I got (just less often than previously). It's like dating. Be cool and confident, but also make sure they know you like them. You should have been assigned an admission's officer or something in an email? I'd email them from now on. It's their job to give recommendations to the committee and Dr. Mejia. Maybe the phone people are getting annoyed because they don't have a direct say in the matter, and they may have other things on their plate.

I came at it from this angle. I teach at a university. Some students are worry-warts. They always email me, schedule appointments with me outside of class and office hours, have a million questions, etc... That's a bit harder to deal with than a student who just sits in class quietly. Sometimes they can even (dare I say it) annoy me a little bit especially when I have other things on my mind, but at the end of the day they clearly have a passion for what they're doing. That's really respectable as an instructor. I can't say that I can read their minds at NYU, but that's my take.