need moral support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharpieMarker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need motivation to finish one app and an essay. I've been putting off the Stanford app forever (this is one of my dream schools and of all apps to put off, this is not the one...). It's not long, but I can't seem to write anything worthy. Not only that, it has been over two months, and I have written a supplemental essay for an MD/MPH app. What do you guys do when you just can't seem to finish an essay. I have terrible writer's block and everything I write just seems like bleh..

What do you all do when you reach a wall like this? Someone kick me. I want to pull my hair out.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a shower. Seriously. Even if its at like 3am, somehow it helps me feel refreshed and motivated again. Then sit down immediately at your computer and open your word document and just go. Look to family, personal history, illuminating anecdotes, etc for inspiration. Good luck. :thumbup:

take a small break. just one more application....you could do it. go!! this application might lead you to your future med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in exactly the same situation. All of my secondaries are done except for Stanford, which is definitely a top choice. I finished my other secondaries a while ago, too--I even have a few interviews already. But I just can't seem to finish Stanford!

Maybe a little friendly competition would help? I'll RACE you to finish Stanford. :)

I need motivation to finish one app and an essay. I've been putting off the Stanford app forever (this is one of my dream schools and of all apps to put off, this is not the one...). It's not long, but I can't seem to write anything worthy. Not only that, it has been over two months, and I have written a supplemental essay for an MD/MPH app. What do you guys do when you just can't seem to finish an essay. I have terrible writer's block and everything I write just seems like bleh..

What do you all do when you reach a wall like this? Someone kick me. I want to pull my hair out.

I know exactly how you feel. When there's enormous pressure to pull off a great piece of writing, I also tend to shut down. Nothing that comes out is ever good enough, and so I stop. I've had plenty of false starts.

But the thing that works for me is that on blank pages, I write about the prompt and just type without thinking. Then I stop and do something else. Usually when I look back at it, there will be a few well written lines and I just work from there. It's definitely better than starting fresh every single time.

If that doesn't work, then go get yelled at by a loved one. Goodluck.

Thanks for all the advice. Closing browser window and on to application.

I'm in exactly the same situation. All of my secondaries are done except for Stanford, which is definitely a top choice. I finished my other secondaries a while ago, too--I even have a few interviews already. But I just can't seem to finish Stanford!

Maybe a little friendly competition would help? I'll RACE you to finish Stanford. :)

And Shanghai, I'll take you up on your offer. ;) Go time.