• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar
Apr 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So I have been having a hard time deciding whether to apply this cycle or wait until next cycle.
Gpa: 3.55
sgpa: 3.58
MCAT: yet to take but have been getting 506

So with the mcat I'm scheduled for june which I already feel is late and i know pushing it off i can have a higher score but it will be later and i'm worried about my competitiveness.
Especially because I am a nontraditional medical student, I finished my degree in hospitality management.

My ECs are so random and I know I need more, but i don't know if i should apply and then keep the schools updated while I work on more or take a year off work on it and then reapply on next june for fall 2019.
I have around 200 volunteer hours - both at a womens center with a crisis hotline and with different fundraising events both medically related and not.
I have a shadowing opportunity lined up - but i think i'll only get about 20 hours out of it
And i don't really have clinical or research.

The more I type it out the more I feel i almost have to apply next june.
But then between now and June I've been torn whether to do a MBS program (are my grades that bad and need the improvement?) that is two 18hr fall and spring semester, so fairly packed that I won't know how much time I'll have to dedicate to other things.
Or instead I was thinking of getting certified as a medical assistant or phlebotomy tech and work to get my clinical experience, keep volunteering and work on shadowing? (ps any tips to get more shadowing would be really appreciated, i had a hard time just getting 1 physician and could only get about 10 hours from him)

Any opinions, insight or things that have worked for you or fellow peers/friends would be greatly appreciated.
As a non-traditional student SDN is kind of my only version of a pre-health advisor.

Thank you!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Do not rush the MCAT. Depending on your state of residence, 506 could be ok or very weak.
Master's degree's do not have an effect on MD applications or your undergrad gpa.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads