Need your advice!

Started by pigori
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pigori

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fellow pre-vet students,
Here's my situation:

I graduated May 07 with a BA in Business law (GPA 3.25), applied to law school and decided not to attend to pursue vet. medicine.

Ill begin my pre-req science courses at the end of this month at JC's to apply to St. George's and Ross.

My question is, what kind of grades must I have in order to have a solid shot at SGU or Ross? Will my BA give me an edge even though its not a science degree? I don't have a science background and have been working at Banfield and shadowing a vet for the past 2 months.

I'm hoping to begin Jan 09. ANY and ALL advice is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!
 
Do you have any pre-reqs for vet school? If not, I don't think you could possibly start next year. Although I do not know the regulations for Ross/St.G, I don't think they'll accept you if you are just now starting your pre-reqs (normally takes 1.5-2 years to do them all). Also, I think it is great that you have been at Banfield, but it has only been 2 m and just shadowing. Experience is very very important and 2 m isn't very competitive. Not to sound like a downer, but you might have to get way more experience and take at least a year of pre-reqs before you get considered for vet school (again, I don't know about Ross/StG, I am going by my knowledge of us schools, but I assume they are similar)
 
On a similar note, Murdoch University in Perth will accept you without 'pre-reqs' as well. If you have no science courses they will enter you into the 6 year program if accepted. That means you take roughly 3 courses your first year (Statistics, Chem, Cell Biology). If by some chance you have taken those courses during your undergrad it is possible that you enter straight into the 5 year program of their vet school.

As a bonus, they have rolling applications (and last I knew it was still free to apply) so you may as well toss it in there and see what happens. If you want assistance in the application process I used a company called Australearn (www.australearn.com) based in Colorado that helped out a bit and was a free service to use.