Neurology residency application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LydiaM*

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading about the application process for a Neurology residency, and from what I understood we need to apply via ERAS for a Neurology program (PGY2) + a transitional/preliminary PGY1 program, both done at the same time, using the same application?
Is it the same thing for Radiology?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are two types of neurology residency programs: Categorical and advanced. Categorical programs provide internship and you won't need to secure and complete an internship on your own. Advanced ones require you to have completed an internship (preliminary medicine or transitional year that provide at least 8 months of inpatient medicine experience).

The majority of neurology programs are categorical. The advanced programs tend to be the prestigious ones.

Obviously, for categorical programs, you need to only apply to the neurology programs. However for advanced programs, you need to also apply to internships simultaneously. During ranking, you'd rank the neurology programs in your primary list, and under each advanced neuro, you'd create a secondary list and rank the corresponding prelim/TY's.

Hybrid programs exist. These programs are advanced on paper (you'd need to apply to pgy-2 neurology linked to their pgy-1 preliminary medicine). They guarantee you the internship if you end up matching their neurology program.

Radiology works same way, but the vast majority of radiology programs are advanced.

Reactions: 1 user
There are two types of neurology residency programs: Categorical and advanced. Categorical programs provide internship and you won't need to secure and complete an internship on your own. Advanced ones require you to have completed an internship (preliminary medicine or transitional year that provide at least 8 months of inpatient medicine experience).

The majority of neurology programs are categorical. The advanced programs tend to be the prestigious ones.

Obviously, for categorical programs, you need to only apply to the neurology programs. However for advanced programs, you need to also apply to internships simultaneously. During ranking, you'd rank the neurology programs in your primary list, and under each advanced neuro, you'd create a secondary list and rank the corresponding prelim/TY's.

Hybrid programs exist. These programs are advanced on paper (you'd need to apply to pgy-2 neurology linked to their pgy-1 preliminary medicine). They guarantee you the internship if you end up matching their neurology program.

Radiology works same way, but the vast majority of radiology programs are advanced.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you all wonderful people think adding 3 neuro + 1 IM is better or 2 neuro + 1 IM LORs is better

Do you all wonderful people think adding 3 neuro + 1 IM is better or 2 neuro + 1 IM LORs is better

I think 3 neuro + 1 IM is definitely better than only 2 neuro letters, but that is assuming that the third neuro letter is a solid one

I think 3 neuro + 1 IM is definitely better than only 2 neuro letters, but that is assuming that the third neuro letter is a solid one
Thanks! Theyre all equally good so i will just add all 4 then