This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Pun-is-her

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this forum is to provide candid descriptions of postdoc residencies or fellowships for others’ benefit.

If you do not feel comfortable posting the exact name of the program, please provide some description of the type of program and approximate location. Use your discretion when using names.

Please also provide ratings using a 1-10 Likert scale (very poor-very good)

Overall quality of training

Supervision quality

Professional environment

Workload

Training matching the description you were given

Chances you would recommend this position to a potential postdoc

Please also provide qualitative comments.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I started this thread because many of my cohort members in neuropsychology have had a similar experience - accepting an informal postdoc and later realizing it was not what we signed up for. I think it would be important for future cohorts to be cautious with these programs. On the other hand, it would be important to highlight the good experiences out there!

I was enrolled in a residency at a private practice in western MA (NPA, MVA, ADD). The owner of the practice had announced that the residency meets Houston Guidelines and will prepare for eventual ABPP-CN (i.e., didactics, research, factfinding, supervision - these were all discussed). However, it was quite the contrary. I did not have any formal supervision, despite requesting it. The workload was unreasonable and the program had a poor teaching model. The didactics were few and far between. I realized when the next cohort of residents entered the practice that I wanted to strongly caution others about this program. I did not have the opportunity to speak to the applicants during their interview, nor was my information provided to them to ask about my experience.

For applicants seeking ABCN, please use strong caution. It is not to say that the program cannot change, but if potential applicants are thinking about applying here, please make sure you ask many questions about the program. Additionally, if offered the position and given a contract, make sure it is very detailed (even down to the structure of the week or day). The supervisor prioritizes business/entrepreneurship over training. This placement might be more fit for early career neuropsychologists rather than for postdoctoral training.

Overall quality of training
Supervision quality
Professional environment
Workload
Training matching the description you were given
Chances you would recommend this position to a potential postdoc

UPDATE: Current Postdocs are leaving for new training sites.

Last edited: