This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USPHS Physician

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Military docs, we salute you...and we recruit you :)
Just FYI here is a new Ask a USPHS Physician thread. We get a fair number of prior military docs transfer in to USPHS, so thought I'd post a link here too.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you ever seen a Navy flight surgeon do an exchange with you guys to be with a Coast Guard squadron?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who pronounces tomb and comb differently?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Everyone In the U.S. Unless you're pronouncing comb "coom."

And what about bomb?

Do you feel silly wearing another service's uniforms?
I'm actually told USPHS had the uniform first...Navy adapted it later!
Do you feel silly wearing another service's uniforms?
I feel good about our uniforms - they are an important way we represent. I'm no great historian, but actually the origins of the uniforms for all Uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, USPHS, and NOAA) are quite interesting and go back to the Revolutionary War with many fascinating transformations over the centuries. It can also be cloudy trying to figure out if there was some "borrowing" of uniforms going on, and which service borrowed from the other.

Do I have to take a PT test? Any openings on St. Croix?
I haven't heard about St. Croix opportunities, but we're a dynamic service - it wouldn't surprise me if one developed at some point. We do have some physican positions in Puerto Rico and were heavily involved in the Haiti earthquake response. I have noticed the occasional opportunity in Samoa, and NOAA has billets for mid-levels out there from time to time on their ships.

I thought I've read that you can transfer to the PHS with more than 8 years of service in another branch. True?

Is the PHS willing to fund fellowships in exchange for service?

Who put you up to posting here?

Yes, we provide the health care for Coasties and have many prior Navy docs.

Generally it is helpful in these "ask me anything" threads to, I don't know, not wait 3 months to answer.

And I already knew plenty of Navy people have later worked for the public health. I was asking if you have ever seen and active duty Navy flight surgeon do an exchange tour with PHS to be a coast guard flight doc.