New Curriculum approved at New Jersey Medical School!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letusbedocs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applicants should care about this one -- we spend so much time getting into medical school few people understand that -- despite doctoring being very rewarding -- medical school taught without sense and geared to basic science minute details can seriously hurt one's moral while in school.

Well, New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) is now trying to really change some and bring a fun, still challenging, and more sensible, humane curriculum to its students.

The curriculum was approved today. And, moving to P/F is also part of it but I'm not sure if it was approved also -- it has much support however.

At any rate, the curriculum integrates learning about doctoring from the first week of school and looks at a lot of stuff thematically. Ask any friends in medical school who are not under such a system how nice that would be.

The faculty and the Dean of Education are really behind it and I think it is going to make people much happier and improved medical students as well as doctors.

Look at it:

http://www.umdnj.edu/edweb/curdev.htm

Medical education is changing from the old days of strict basic sciences lectures and disciplines.....New Jersey Medical School seems to be among those schools who are making the change!

GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

Wooohooo...this is a good thing right? ( :confused: )

This has been in the works for sometime. Although the P/F thing sounds good, none of the residency directors like it, which is something to consider, since that is the next step. In fact, the residency director of the Optho program at NJMS informed them that they only take P/F people from a top school and that if they went P/F that would be mean no more NJMS students getting into their program. My interviewer told me this. However, the other aspects sound really wonderful and P/F would foster less competition among students I would imagine.