1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

New Greenwing macaw baby is coming!

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Kara31191, May 15, 2008.

1. Kara31191

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    So my family is bringing home a baby greenwing macaw in two weeks. (The bird needs to be ready to be shipped. The macaw will be about 2-3 months old and we will finish weaning! Could take up to a year to be completely weaned. I love baby macaws.

This baby should look like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vgfWnsJGdQ&feature=related

I think. I've never gotten one this young. We've finished weaning our Scarlet and B&G so it won't be a problem. Then we've raised some tiels and such. But I'm trying to think how feathered the bird will be. Of course, we are going to quarantine for like 3-4 months (until the bird is going in the bird room.)

I'm just excited and wanted to share. This will be our last bird, and they are all going to me when I'm done with school... 10+ years. =P

We've been waiting for a GW forever and I'm super excited. I just can't wait to handfeed again. But I've got a lot of set-up and research to do. It's been a couple years. :)

Maybe he/she will be this cute:
    http://www.parrotpassion.com/macaws/Macaws%203-17-08%20016.JPG

How's the name Jessie?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kara31191

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
  4. msmrtrthnyllb

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Is there minimum legal age to buy psittacines? I know it's one heck of a job, but you sound like you're old hat. Do you have a name for him/her?

5. lailanni

lailanni c/o 2012
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Awwww! Congrats!! You have to post pictures when the big day comes! :)

6. birdvet2006

birdvet2006 Glasgow c/o 2006
    5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    In California, where I used to live, it was illegal to sell an unweaned baby bird. I agree with that law (I bought my psittacine as a weanling).

7. WhtsThFrequency

Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Thats awesome! We MUST MUST MUST have pics!!!!

8. Kara31191

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    We were thinking Jessie, but I'm not sure if it's too much like a fluffy-tinkerbell name that just does NOT fit a macaw! ;) Any ideas?

I don't know if there is legally. Most places won't sell to someone under 18. Technically my parents are paying me back for the bird when I go to college, so I guess he/she is "theirs"... but I will be doing all the raising/care.

I completely agree. There are always those horror stories of people who stunt their B&G, who only ends up weighing 600 gms. However, I'll have our vet behind us. She's going to give me a few more tutorals on handfeeding since it's been a few years. We probably won't even fully wean the bird until a year old... more or less. Whatever the bird is telling us. It got to the point (I think 7-8 months?) that Max and Rex (B&G and Scarlet) were completely eating solid foods and they just wouldn't take any more formula.

Here in MA, there don't seem to be many laws governing the sale of parrots. I don't know of any. This pet store owner is haing one shipped to her and she's selling us the bird at cost (she's a friend of my vet). She's getting a few in so I wonder if we'll get first pick. I want the largest baby!

My vet did a rotation or internship of some sort at a 10,000 parrot breeding facility in FL. She said she'd feed 3,000 birds and by the end of that, it'd be time to start over again! :laugh:

And don't worry... PLENTY of pictures. I will be the crazy lady with a baby book of 2000+ pictures.

A good distraction for the day...
    My lab, 13 y Lucky, was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma through xrays yesterday. It's also spread to his lungs, so this is one of the few things keeping me from crashing today. At least he's still alive for maybe a few months.

9. birdvet2006

birdvet2006 Glasgow c/o 2006
    5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    So sorry to hear this, Kara. To help sort out some facts though - realize that osteosarcoma can NOT be diagnosed based on radiograph. You can't diagnose any type of tumour without a biopsy (sample of tissue sent to the lab). The changes in the lungs are not a good sign. :( Either way, you know it isn't a good type of tumour. I'm so sorry! Make sure you try your utmost to keep him pain free. My last osteosarc dog was on at least 5 types of pain meds (due to lung changes, amputation wasn't a good idea).

10. Kara31191

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    She said she was like 99.9% sure that it was osteosarcoma. I looked through a few books and he has sunburst pattern that just about every picture showed. It's all on the joint of his right front leg, and the same awful sight in his lungs.

The worst is that the xrays are STILL up on the viewer. STILL. I walk by and I'm like... Awww... Lucky. I'll probably put them away on Tues. He's pain-free right now. Only on one 50mg tramadol twice a day and 100mg Derramax once a day and so there's plenty of room to increase as needed. He's the BEST dog though! :(

And GW update. They'll arrive at roughly 8 weeks old, where we'll take the bird to the vet for an extra tutoral on feeding, set-up, and proper care. I REALLY REALLY want to teach this GW to wear a harness and maybe let me file nails/trim wings no problem. I know, a dream that won't come true... but I can do it... haha!

We need to allow first flight, then I'll trim and clip the nails. Four feedings a day is going to be fun.